Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pikehead posted:

I'm still not quite sure what they were trying to do with Tomorrowland and who exactly the movie was targetted at.

Bird has talked about how his inspiration was being a kid at the 1964’s World Fair and how he felt that sort of optimistic futurism had faded away from society, and him wanting to make a movie about what happened, and how to bring that feeling back.

What came out was... that. Mostly because Disney said “here’s over $200 million, make whatever you want” since Bird had just made the jump to live action with Ghost Protocol and seemed like an unassailable genius because of his animation career, and making a giant movie that basically operated as a blowjob to Walt (who himself was obsessed with world’s fairs and other things that would end up leading him to making Disneyland and redefining the business of the Disney company) that they likely thought could let them retrofit the Tomorrowland of the parks with a whole bunch of new rides and attractions was enticing.

None of it panned out, of course, movie’s only coming up on being six years old and it’s like it never existed. Just thrown into the same bin that John Carter was. Bird had to go make an Incredibles sequel as a mea culpa. Clooney hasn’t even floated the idea of doing a big blockbuster since.

What’s amazing is that the editing of the movie is so terrible, just lifeless and utilitarian. And then you go “oh, well, okay, maybe the — Walter Murch was one of the editors on this?” and it becomes a whole new level of “what the gently caress happened?” How does one get the editor of Coppola’s classics, put him with the guy who edits Gore Verbinski’s movies and since 2014 is slowly becoming the Marvel in-house editor, and get... that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Best trailer to not great movies, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLvMg62RPA

Might not be top tier Fincher but I find TGWTDT very rewatchable. Glad it managed to win a deserved Oscar for editing too, I can't think of another director whose films are cut so quickly while still being able to convey a ton of information.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

The Cameo posted:

Bird has talked about how his inspiration was being a kid at the 1964’s World Fair and how he felt that sort of optimistic futurism had faded away from society, and him wanting to make a movie about what happened, and how to bring that feeling back.

What came out was... that. Mostly because Disney said “here’s over $200 million, make whatever you want” since Bird had just made the jump to live action with Ghost Protocol and seemed like an unassailable genius because of his animation career, and making a giant movie that basically operated as a blowjob to Walt (who himself was obsessed with world’s fairs and other things that would end up leading him to making Disneyland and redefining the business of the Disney company) that they likely thought could let them retrofit the Tomorrowland of the parks with a whole bunch of new rides and attractions was enticing.

None of it panned out, of course, movie’s only coming up on being six years old and it’s like it never existed. Just thrown into the same bin that John Carter was. Bird had to go make an Incredibles sequel as a mea culpa. Clooney hasn’t even floated the idea of doing a big blockbuster since.

What’s amazing is that the editing of the movie is so terrible, just lifeless and utilitarian. And then you go “oh, well, okay, maybe the — Walter Murch was one of the editors on this?” and it becomes a whole new level of “what the gently caress happened?” How does one get the editor of Coppola’s classics, put him with the guy who edits Gore Verbinski’s movies and since 2014 is slowly becoming the Marvel in-house editor, and get... that?

Disney also fired Walter Murch, arguably the greatest film editor in history, as a warning shot over Bird's bow (also because I believe DGA rules state you can't fire the director without firing the editor first). Everyone knew the film was essentially doomed once that happened.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pikehead posted:

I'm still not quite sure what they were trying to do with Tomorrowland and who exactly the movie was targetted at.

I thought the movie was going to be Bioshock but with the World's Fair as the setting of corrupted ideals instead, which I thought would have been great. But then instead you get Tomorrowland, where I guess the message is to be positive or some such? I dunno.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Cameo posted:

How the hell did an animation guy with zero live action experience get to direct Mission Impossible as his first live action? I'm surprised it didn't go more badly

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JJ Abrams? And uh Lord and Miller jumped (heh) from animation to live action and made the funniest reboot of all time .

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vegetable posted:

How the hell did an animation guy with zero live action experience get to direct Mission Impossible as his first live action? I'm surprised it didn't go more badly

Probably because there's a very particular set of rails an MI movie needs to travel. He was forced to work within constraints.

John Carter and Tomorrowland didn't have that safety net, and the result was the trapeze artist splattered all over the floor of the circus tent.

CelticPredator posted:

JJ Abrams? And uh Lord and Miller jumped (heh) from animation to live action and made the funniest reboot of all time .

Which one was that? (The Lord and Miller reboot that is)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 12, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

21-22 Jump Street

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CelticPredator posted:

21-22 Jump Street

Man those are legit good times

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Vegetable posted:

JJ and Cruise wanted him.

Animation direction can and does have its benefits to doing action/fx heavy movies, since so much of the production has to be planned ahead of time to an insane degree to maximize footage per dollar cost, as well as the director having to be accustomed to letting several units go off and produce that footage that you expect will meet your approval without your direct oversight in the moment. Either sort of movie become real tests of clarity of vision and a capability to explain what you are exactly looking for as a director. Surprises in production must be kept to a minimum. “Happy accidents” are practically verboten. And both animated and action movies need strong visual storytelling chops to be effective. So you can see where the “why don’t we hire an animator to direct it” idea might pop into people’s heads.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Still unbelievable that Lord/Miller got hired for Solo, most likely due to the kind of humor they would inject into it, and ended up getting fired from Solo, most likely due to the kind of humor they injected into it.

I didn't mind Solo overall, but it was something I was so, so looking forward to seeing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know people that worked in production on Tomorrowland and Bird's directing style was to yell emotional instructions over the actors during every shot like "NOW YOU'RE REALLY SAD" and "DO AN ANGRY ONE ANGRIER NOW START TO CRY" like he was in a voice over session on a sound stage or giving instructions to an animator.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

Still unbelievable that Lord/Miller got hired for Solo, most likely due to the kind of humor they would inject into it, and ended up getting fired from Solo, most likely due to the kind of humor they injected into it.

I didn't mind Solo overall, but it was something I was so, so looking forward to seeing.

The idea to hire the improv guys from the Jump Street movie on a film produced by a guy whose most famous quote is "if it's not on the page it's not on the screen" will never cease to amaze me, and IMHO that's 100% on Kathleen Kennedy.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 12, 2021

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

21-22 Jump Street

Huh. For some reason I never knew that was them

Agreed though. Funny as hell.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pikehead posted:

I remember Tmrwland mostly as scenes of old people yelling at TV screens.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I loving love Tomorrowland so everyone needs to stfu

I've long thought of making a thread that was "Critically Panned Movies You Unironically Love" with Tomorrowland as the basis. But my criteria was going to be that the movie has to have less than a 50% on RT. Tomorrowland has exactly 50%.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I need to sit down and watch Tomorrowland because I absolutely loved the vibe of the trailers but word of mouth on it at release put me off following up. Shame, because World's Fairs are immensely interesting topics in the History, Geography, and American Studies fields (among others) and dissecting how various aspects of it as an culture shaping event get encapsulated in a film about nostalgia, potential, return to greatness, etc would probably be right up my alley.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

I need to sit down and watch Tomorrowland because I absolutely loved the vibe of the trailers but word of mouth on it at release put me off following up. Shame, because World's Fairs are immensely interesting topics in the History, Geography, and American Studies fields (among others) and dissecting how various aspects of it as an culture shaping event get encapsulated in a film about nostalgia, potential, return to greatness, etc would probably be right up my alley.

I really liked the movie until they actually got to Tomorrowland, which is where everything kind of just falls apart.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It's a really fun movie, but if you look up "third-act problems" in the dictionary there's a picture of this movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dillbag posted:

The idea to hire the improv guys from the Jump Street movie on a film produced by a guy whose most famous quote is "if it's not on the page it's not on the screen" will never cease to amaze me, and IMHO that's 100% on Kathleen Kennedy.
Don’t forget Larry kasden who was getting aggro about them ruining his script.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Don’t forget Larry kasden who was getting aggro about them ruining his script.

That’s who they were referring to

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

I need to read the Devil in the White City. Ive heard great things.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I need to read the Devil in the White City. Ive heard great things.

The World's Fair portion is great but the H.H. Holmes portion is not only meh, but it's completely invalidated by modern research that reveals that most of the gruesome stories about Holmes (including his infamous "murder hotel", whose secret rooms were likely just used to store stolen goods) were fabrications by the police (who wanted to pin every crime in Chicago on Holmes), the press (who at the time blatantly made poo poo up) and Holmes himself (who was a pathological liar). Holmes definitely killed at least 9 people but probably no more than that and certainly not up to 200.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

The Cameo posted:

Flat really describes how it turned out for me. One of the few times I've come out of a movie and gone "I paid money for that?".

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Breaking News in Yuba County - I did a little bit of digital prop work on this. Read the script and it was a fun read. Hopefully it translates to screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENv0B-jX3O4

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
John Carter is really good, fight me.

The best Amazing Trailer, poo poo Movie is Pearl Harbor (the one with Journey to the Line score)

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sRvZ8siWLY

It is without irony or sarcasm that I say Butt Boy moved me emotionally more than any other new movie I saw last year. It is really good.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

confused posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sRvZ8siWLY

It is without irony or sarcasm that I say Butt Boy moved me emotionally more than any other new movie I saw last year. It is really good.

:butt:

The described plot would make me think I'm watching someone's fetish but that actually looks kinda good?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao what the hell

definitely gonna watch that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love the stylized aesthetic—everything is so stark and crisp. I'm so tired of bland naturalism.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao what the hell

definitely gonna watch that

FYI... you can stream it for free if you have Amazon Prime.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

feedmyleg posted:

I love the stylized aesthetic—everything is so stark and crisp. I'm so tired of bland naturalism.

The performances are amazing as well. It's an interesting mix of stylized over the top behavior combined with subtle layered emotional reactions. It's a balancing act that they execute almost flawlessly. I don't know anything about the film makers, but they approach Coen Brothers level of skill in maintaining that balance.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Ammanas posted:

John Carter is really good, fight me.

It is, friend.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

confused posted:

FYI... you can stream it for free if you have Amazon Prime.

Thank you for mentioning this. Because I will.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just found this on Twitter, could be interesting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USi-ppCfxEA

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v27rfaoB2Y

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Schlocky horror and Nic Cage; highly looking forward to this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is that the one that was sued for being a ripoff of the game? and the banana splits was a different movie? someone break it down for me please

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe if they made the movie instead of suing people beating them to the punch maybe they’d have one out by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

A Chicken Soup for the Soul Media Company. CSftS (yes, the self help book) expansion into junk bond films and tv remains funny to me.