Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

BurningCourage posted:

If not it is possible to pursue them through small claims for the half they owe.
Problem with that is that the kind of person who ducks out on their bills is probably also the kind of person who will ignore court paperwork, and there's gently caress-all you can do about it. It's really bad news for them if you get judgment against them and they don't pay, but that doesn't mean they'll actually pay. You might have to bring additional enforcement proceedings, which is just a bit of a ballache frankly. Even if you do that (which in the current climate will probably take at least a year, at a completely random guess - possibly much more), you might only end up getting piddly little instalments, having dropped quite a bit on various court fees that are just added to the total you're getting back in piddly instalments.

There's always a good chance of people backing down at the first letter from the courts - or even a "hi I'm filling in the court papers right now r u sure u don't want to pay" - but if they're unusually lazy, contentious or poor, just be warned that making a money claim will take ages, and might not get you a satisfactory resolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why Matt Hancock shouldn't be allowed to talk to people - Exhibit 8,472

https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1349280495914393600?s=19

I just wish the only TV 'journalist' asking these questions wasn't Piers loving Morgan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

So say for a school with 200 kids getting free school meals (I have no idea if that's a realistic number but it's nice & round & we like that), 39 weeks in a school year, that's £177,216 that isn't actually going to the kids out of a £30/head budget of £234,000. Obviously the catering company would have staffing costs & such so it's not pure profit but it is a pretty penny.

£177k a week. Considering the staffing costs related to that, it's as close to pure profit as makes no odds. And that's before you consider that the company probably took on a bunch of unemployed people on ZOCs or workfare for this contract, and it wouldn't entirely shock me to learn that the government paid them again for that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Or that we have a state religion that's somehow both Episcopalian and opposed to same sex marriage?

How's this one surprising? Episcopalian just means 'has bishops'. Much like, for example, the Catholic church it was a spinoff of which also takes a dim view of same sex marriage. The only reason the American branch specifically has that name is that 'Church of England' wasn't a real good look in immediately post-independence America for some reason.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're the official state religion of a state that has in legislation allowed same sex marriage, with spiritual representatives appointed to the upper house that approved said legislation, and yet broke off communion with the American branch for allowing same sex marriage. It still comes off as immensely dickish if not surprising, like all the others.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

They're the official state religion of a state that has in legislation allowed same sex marriage, with spiritual representatives appointed to the upper house that approved said legislation, and yet broke off communion with the American branch for allowing same sex marriage. It still comes off as immensely dickish if not surprising, like all the others.

I mean, they are the state religion but they are not an arm of the state per se and are not required to endorse every action of the state (which is just as well! otherwise you end up with, like, Tsarist Russia where priests preach from every pulpit how we should all support Bozza in all his works). We don't implicitly think they support bad things like bombing brown people even though the state has legislated to do that; that cuts both ways.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We can still call it oval office behaviour when they do things like that though, because it was neither necessary nor a good look considering their close links with the state (I'm not sure how many automatically appointed representatives you're allowed to have in the legislature before you can claim not to be an arm of the state).

Same deal with landed aristocrats deliberately breeding foxesbuilding earthworks that encourage foxes to breed as an excuse for carrying on their stupid poo poo. Is it at all surprising? No. Is it oval office behaviour that deserves calling out? Yes.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I can't decide if the school meals thing is malice with the general feeling from conservatives thinking things like:

"So they want something for free do they? We'll see how they like THIS free lunch then, loving scroungers" which my dad, a self professed 'Old Tory' would do. Undeserving poor BS mentality etc. etc.

Or if it is the logical conclusion of min/max capitalism where my dad ALSO used to spout things like "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves!" which leads to measuring out 2p's worth of pasta and cutting a pepper in half because "A penny saved is a penny earned" or some poo poo.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Mebh posted:

I can't decide if the school meals thing is malice with the general feeling from conservatives thinking things like:

"So they want something for free do they? We'll see how they like THIS free lunch then, loving scroungers" which my dad, a self professed 'Old Tory' would do. Undeserving poor BS mentality etc. etc.

Or if it is the logical conclusion of min/max capitalism where my dad ALSO used to spout things like "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves!" which leads to measuring out 2p's worth of pasta and cutting a pepper in half because "A penny saved is a penny earned" or some poo poo.

It's unregulated capitalism. The government gave the contract to someone for £x money, that company worked out if they spent £y on each box they'd get £z profit, and they've done everything they can to maximise z. The government didn't care what was going in those boxes until someone shouted about it and now they are Very Concerned.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's malcompetence. Malice alone would have had some kind of rational that wasn't floundering, incompetence alone wouldn't have been so comprehensively poo poo.

Anything going out with their name on that they gave a solitary poo poo about would have had some kind of inspectorate involved, so it's the worst kind of indifference at play.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

EvilHawk posted:

It's unregulated capitalism. The government gave the contract to someone for £x money, that company worked out if they spent £y on each box they'd get £z profit, and they've done everything they can to maximise z. The government didn't care what was going in those boxes until someone shouted about it and now they are Very Concerned.

do you think it cost them less to figure out how much carrot to put into each box or wrap an onion quarter instead of just putting a whole carrot and onion in there

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's a complete lack of empathy and the natural end state of capitalism. "Oh, we have 50 peppers and have to fill up 100 boxes. Minion, put half a pepper in each box". The solution doesn't have to be efficient or have value or make sense, the people at top have already made their money, and that's all that matters.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

crepeface posted:

do you think it cost them less to figure out how much carrot to put into each box or wrap an onion quarter instead of just putting a whole carrot and onion in there

I imagine they just have a big spreadsheet with the cost of each item and a profit margin at the end. You could probably knock it out in an afternoon and go off fox hunting or whatever it is business owners do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mebh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEFEdrrXc4

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Flayer posted:

It's a complete lack of empathy and the natural end state of capitalism. "Oh, we have 50 peppers and have to fill up 100 boxes. Minion, put half a pepper in each box". The solution doesn't have to be efficient or have value or make sense, the people at top have already made their money, and that's all that matters.

Half a pepper? In my time we had a quarter of a carrot of veg a week. And not even the good quarter, the bland middle bit and precut long enough to be stale. Uhhhh. Hang on.

Seriously how does that meet nutritional guidelines.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

As someone said earlier, a Huel dole would be less insulting.

Tying back to 'the cruelty is the point', especially Pistol Pete's analogy of the villagers having to beg at the manor gate for charity when the squire could just give them money, but it's all about enforcing power structures: There's someone right now in twitter replies suggesting that all kids be given a ration of Huel and/or nutrient bars...but the food has to include a dye that stains your teeth purple to prevent even this state-funded largesse being misappropriated. Presumably to be followed up by the police or the DWP rounding up adults with stained teeth or something like that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1348897221832560640

Someone should do something!

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1349310804064137218

Someone has.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

Through the miracle of the back of the envelope...

Cost of a single onion: 10p
Labour cost to place that onion in a box (assuming 1 second work at £8.20/p.h): 0.2p

Total: 10.2p

Cost of quarter of an onion: 2.5p
Labour cost to cut an onion into quarters (2 seconds)/4: 0.1p
Labour cost to wrap that quarter-onion (2 second): 0.4p
Labour cost to pack: 0.2p

Total: 3.2p, or a saving of a whole 7p. Which doesn't sound much, but if you're punting out 10,000 of these boxes, that's a whole £700 you've just saved! Obviously the person who worked that out is getting paid £50 p.h, and it took them a good week to come up with this wheeze, but that's the sort of efficiency and savings that the private sector brings you!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

crepeface posted:

You're presuming that they thought about it, instead of just doing it because they knew there would be no consequences.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Marcus Rashford - fresh from playing in a professional top flight football game last night, and preparing for the biggest game of the season on Sunday - has just had a conversation with the Prime Minister and got him to commit to a review of the boxes.

The Leader of the Opposition has sent a tweet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/millenniumslug/status/1349291178722811904?s=19

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The number of deaths per day from coronavirus is now at an all-time high, even more than there were in March:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They're so loving poo poo

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1349308497641541639?s=19

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Marcus Rashford is a cool dude

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

BurningCourage posted:

(Source: Do work at a CAB and just checked our stuff on liability for energy bills)

Just checked our own info on this, for energy bills at least there is a chance you are gonna end up liable for the whole lot for now. You can talk to the supplier to explain the situation as mentioned above and they might be amenable towards going after your former housemate for what they owe instead of you. If not it is possible to pursue them through small claims for the half they owe.

Thanks for all the advice thread! I feel I'm hosed really, but thought it worth asking (both our names on the bill, I've paid it and asking them for the money) - I'll keep hassling him anyway

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Genuinely don't understand how a leftist can stay a supporter of this shower. They just make me so loving mad.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Gavin Williamson & Ofqual exchanged letters.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/letter-from-gavin-williamson-to-simon-lebus Letter to Ofqual
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/simon-lebus-responds-to-the-secretary-of-states-letter-of-13-january-2021 Ofqual reply

Thankfully seem to be accepting that February exams don't have to go ahead either. Which is nice as I should have had an exam on Feb 4th which until now was going ahead because despite being in the January series of exams the government had only spoken about exams in January.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Through the miracle of the back of the envelope...

Cost of a single onion: 10p
Labour cost to place that onion in a box (assuming 1 second work at £8.20/p.h): 0.2p

Total: 10.2p

Cost of quarter of an onion: 2.5p
Labour cost to cut an onion into quarters (2 seconds)/4: 0.1p
Labour cost to wrap that quarter-onion (2 second): 0.4p
Labour cost to pack: 0.2p

Total: 3.2p, or a saving of a whole 7p. Which doesn't sound much, but if you're punting out 10,000 of these boxes, that's a whole £700 you've just saved! Obviously the person who worked that out is getting paid £50 p.h, and it took them a good week to come up with this wheeze, but that's the sort of efficiency and savings that the private sector brings you!

You need to include the cost of the material to wrap them, not that that's going to gouge it too much there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'll see that and raise you:

https://twitter.com/shirleymush/status/1349141818852728835?s=20

"We need to abandon these left wing ideas and compete with the Tories on the economy, where they have demonstrated so much competency."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I pretty much agree with "the cruelty is the point" in that I see it as largely about reinforcing power relationships.

Imagine some 18th century nobleman riding out from his grand house in his luxury carriage in the morning. Clustered around his gate are a bunch of destitute people who cringeingly scuttle after him with their hands out, begging for alms. The nobleman condescendingly tosses them a few coins, then indicates to his coachman to drive on. Now, if he's giving them money at all, why not just quietly send a servant around to hand it out? Why oblige them to chase after him, begging? Because it reinforces the power relationship: he has the money and security and if they want anything at all, they'd better prostrate themselves for it.

These meticulously penny-pinching food packs operate in the same way. As people have pointed out, simply giving people the £30 would be a far better way of getting food to people, if that was actually the primary purpose. Contemptuously tossing the poor these food scraps sends a crystal clear message: "You're trash, this is all you deserve and you're lucky to be getting anything at all." Like a lot of stuff that goes on, at bottom, it's about reinforcing the social hierarchy.

I think it needs explicitly mentioning, in the context of 'the cruelty is the point' that the primary stated purpose, and the point, are not always (and indeed, are rarely) the same thing.

Like, the primary stated purpose of these food parcels is to feed people. But that's not the point. If the point was the same as the primary stated purpose, there are infinitely better ways to do it.

But equally, in this case specifically, I'm not sure the cruelty IS the point. Because I think the profit is the point. The cruelty is just a convenient (for them) by-product.

Because, if the cruelty was the point, you could make the same food packages - just for less money. These food packages cost a fiver, and the government could trivially make the same lovely food packages for a fiver.

But they don't, they pay a private company owned by one of their mates to do it, and make a stupid profit in the process.

The cruelty isn't the point, the theft of the profit is.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

I'll see that and raise you:

https://twitter.com/shirleymush/status/1349141818852728835?s=20

"We need to abandon these left wing ideas and compete with the Tories on the economy, where they have demonstrated so much competency."

Corbyn: Tories bad because they have bad ideas
Starmer: Tories bad because they are bad at implementing their ideas

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yep, it's the cycle of Tory government.

Give a huge amount of public money to one of your mates for a pitiful amount of work, they give a kickback to the Conservative party. Repeat until country collapses, then retire overseas.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ah yes, nothing says centrism like quoting Andrew loving Neil

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Moonwolf posted:

You need to include the cost of the material to wrap them, not that that's going to gouge it too much there.

Given they seem to be wrapping them in "whatever poo poo we've got lying around" I figured it would be too much of a variable, but assuming 5x32cm of Tesco cling film, 0.2p per quarter.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gort posted:

The number of deaths per day from coronavirus is now at an all-time high, even more than there were in March:

It's going to grow for probably another ~4 weeks at least, with active cases you already have a ~2 week delay and that's even more pronounced with deaths.

The good news is that new cases keep dropping, from 60k for most of the last week to 48k the day before yesterday and now 46k yesterday. So unless that's a statistical blip it looks like things might calm down a bit within a few weeks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1349328031232495618?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Imagine being so poo poo at politics that you get hoist by your own petard by Boris Johnson.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Imagine being so poo poo at politics that you get hoist by your own petard by Boris Johnson.

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1349329190173237252?s=20

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I mean, he's not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

It's interesting, I was reading through the comments left by Financial Times readers on this and the overall gist was: " Who the gently caress is this policy supposed to be aimed at in the year of our lord 2021??"

Even FT subscribers think that it's weak as hell to be coming out with this poo poo at a time when fundamental change is not just possible but necessary lol.