Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

snac works for me for tg16 and snes but not for genesis or nes. lights not lighting up on the nes advantage suggests the user i/o port doesn't have enough voltage, is there a jumper I need to jump or cut or something on the i/o board?

nes I could live without but genesis controllers need to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I ordered one of those fancy new aluminum cases from misteraddons if anyone wants impressions when it gets here. I'm curious about the passive cooling

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Laxer3A posted a progress update for the PlayStation core, including video of a BIOS bootup and program launch on an FPGA board:

quote:

Xmas is around the corner but we can't give you a full working PSX for this Xmas.

YET, we have managed to boot the Playstation BIOS on real hardware and launch some small programs.

On FPGA, we have the CPU, DMA, GPU and GTE up and running test software (graphics demos!) along with the retail version of the BIOS.

Not all the stuff is in place so we were limited to what we could run, but I hope you enjoy our progress as much as we do.

This is a great step forward as it allows us to run graphical tests and debug the GPU, timers, and video synchronisation issues.
The fact that this project seems genuinely attainable is great. Who knows, we might actually see a beta at some point next year.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Even if it can only play 2D stuff at full speed that would be super rad.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I think they've implemented the GPU already, there's some demo videos floating around where they're driving the GPU portion with a recording of the command stream from an emulator.
https://twitter.com/AshEvans81/status/1324049686618116097
So it seems like full support is possible.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

The Voice of Labor posted:

snac works for me for tg16 and snes but not for genesis or nes. lights not lighting up on the nes advantage suggests the user i/o port doesn't have enough voltage, is there a jumper I need to jump or cut or something on the i/o board?

nes I could live without but genesis controllers need to work.

I use SNAC for genesis, snes and nes without issues. I didn’t need to mess around with anything special...

Did you try using the “swap controller” option? I believe that some cores will default your SNAC controller to player 2 unless you do that.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal, it's a Space Invaders core!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

No one's working on Sega arcade cores anymore, are they? There was this MrX guy working on System 16, but he either quit or had personal/health problems that made him disappear half a year ago. Jotego's mostly focused on Capcom stuff (which is great).

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Moop Moop posted:

I use SNAC for genesis, snes and nes without issues. I didn’t need to mess around with anything special...

Did you try using the “swap controller” option? I believe that some cores will default your SNAC controller to player 2 unless you do that.

that was the fix for the genesis. thanks... I feel real old and dumb for not even trying that.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

this thing came in today and it's absolutely glorious

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/vga-composite-s-video-adapter/

the justifier shoots a little wonky on lethal enforcers 2, but so far it works perfectly with snatcher.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How long did that take to show up? Interested since I still have my childhood CRT hooked up and would like to retire some of my consoles.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

not as long as I expected it to. almost exactly a month

e: if you do get one, you need to set the vga jumper on the i/o board to 5v and you need to edit this line in the .ini file

composite_sync = 1

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 27, 2020

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Got my misteraddons aluminum case in today. Was easier to put together than I was lead to believe. Though I think I did mess up somewhere as the aluminum buttons were a bit too short to hit the corresponding switches on the io board. This was easily fixed by putting some little rubber feet on the bottom of the buttons so no heartache today. Impressed by the fit and finish, it feels solid and maybe it’s now safe to put in a bag and travel with it. One complaint is that the buttons aren’t attached to anything so you flip the mister over they’ll drop right out, I’ll have to pick up a bag of tiny rubber bands to wrap around each so they don’t get lost if I travel. Will be interested to see how the passive cooling does.

Not really much to say other than it looks nice I’m happy with it even if it was a bit expensive.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You put the buttons in upside down. The thicker part goes towards the bottom, that way they don't fall out.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Well I guess I should’ve finished watching the instruction video instead of turning it off halfway through. :pseudo:.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hatty posted:

Got my misteraddons aluminum case in today. Was easier to put together than I was lead to believe. Though I think I did mess up somewhere as the aluminum buttons were a bit too short to hit the corresponding switches on the io board. This was easily fixed by putting some little rubber feet on the bottom of the buttons so no heartache today. Impressed by the fit and finish, it feels solid and maybe it’s now safe to put in a bag and travel with it. One complaint is that the buttons aren’t attached to anything so you flip the mister over they’ll drop right out, I’ll have to pick up a bag of tiny rubber bands to wrap around each so they don’t get lost if I travel. Will be interested to see how the passive cooling does.

Not really much to say other than it looks nice I’m happy with it even if it was a bit expensive.

i like this, it looks like one of the inventions from the dad from gremlins

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is 32X support a possibility for the future?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Lazyhound posted:

Is 32X support a possibility for the future?
I read some programmers say that on the way to making a Saturn core it’d be close to being inadvertently made.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought a Saturn core was almost impossible

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Supposedly, the ceiling is Nintendo 64. And considering PS1 is being made "with enough room on the board", Saturn (if very well optimized) is possible. Now, if there's enough interest for a team to tackle all the chips in the thing is another matter altogether.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Spent this morning tinkering with my HDMI to VGA dongle. It's pretty great! At first the entire picture was tinted green, but after changing zerohimself's recommended ypbpr=1 ini setting back to 0 everything was perfect.

I'd like to get a PVM or good CRT but for now I'm running everything through an OSSC. Its scanlines are noticeably cleaner than the MiSTer's, and don't soften the overall image. It's also nice to let every core run natively then handle all upscaling/tweaking externally on the same device I use for my retro consoles.

I also tried the dongle with my GameCube Carby, and it worked. I had to use the included USB power cable (which wasn't necessary on the MiSTer) but aside from that it was dead simple. 2x upscaling looks much sharper than my TV's internal 480p scaling.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
I'm about to order a Blisster, but I'm confused about the adapter cables. You need each system's adapters in order to use that controller in LLAPI mode, right? If so, how does that work with regard to NES and SNES, since AFAIK they're electrically compatible? Can you use SNES controllers on the NES core in LLAPI mode or does it just default to turning them into USB controllers? I have little desire to use my NES controllers until someone starts selling replacement membranes for dogbones, but I'd love to be able to use my SNES controllers in the NES core if possible.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jadius posted:

I'm about to order a Blisster, but I'm confused about the adapter cables. You need each system's adapters in order to use that controller in LLAPI mode, right? If so, how does that work with regard to NES and SNES, since AFAIK they're electrically compatible? Can you use SNES controllers on the NES core in LLAPI mode or does it just default to turning them into USB controllers? I have little desire to use my NES controllers until someone starts selling replacement membranes for dogbones, but I'd love to be able to use my SNES controllers in the NES core if possible.
As I understand it LLAPI is for directly compatible controllers and anything else becomes USB, but as you note the SNES controllers are theoretically compatible with a NES. I think it should work at least as well as it would in reality. IIRC the button layout is a bit wonky though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
https://twitter.com/nullobject/status/1349290714438356995

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

wolrah posted:

As I understand it LLAPI is for directly compatible controllers and anything else becomes USB, but as you note the SNES controllers are theoretically compatible with a NES. I think it should work at least as well as it would in reality. IIRC the button layout is a bit wonky though.

I finally got my Blisster in two days ago and I can confirm that this does indeed appear to work. SNES on NES core worked completely fine and even NES on SNES works too, outside of missing XYLR. I didn't play a huge amount of it yet, so I might have missed something, but I didn't encounter any wonky button layout issues at all. I played through the first half of Ninja Gaiden on the NES using a SNES Hori Pad and played a few minutes of Mario World using a dogbone, and everything seemed to work fine, with the LLAPI light glowing red, so it was definitely in LLAPI mode.

I'm kind of in love with the Blisster. Everything feels so much more fluid, even compared to usb with 1ms polling enabled . Now if I could just seem to figure out why my Cthulhu fightsticks don't work with either the NES or SNES dongles I'd be in business. I'd love to be able to compare the Blisster directly with 1ms polling but it's not a huge deal that I'm stuck using USB for those.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1355206341493665796
CPS2 beta is out for Jotego's patrons. I read one comment that claimed this is just Puzzle Fighter so far, but any progress is welcome and that's a pretty darn good game.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1355206341493665796
CPS2 beta is out for Jotego's patrons. I read one comment that claimed this is just Puzzle Fighter so far, but any progress is welcome and that's a pretty darn good game.

Can confirm it's single game. There are two MRA files, but it's just Puzzle Fighter this round. I did a cursory test of it this morning to make sure it was working. Impressive! I want D&D:TOD and SOM something fierce.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Finally broke and ordered a MiSTer. The mountain of retro consoles and cables and switches I have hooked up to my CRT is ugly and probably a fire hazard and not enough to play all the systems I want. I figure a MiSTer will more than pay for itself when I sell off my RGB modded consoles, Everdrives and Amiga 500. I've had an empty NES shell sitting in my closet for over a decade that I originally intended to build a PC into (NES PCs seemed so cool to me in the mid-to-late 2000s) that I might repurpose as a MiSTer case, especially if I can hook up the controller ports and power/reset buttons.

Hot Stunt fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 31, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh right there'd probably be a thread for this when there's a whole new Retro forum.

I love my MiSTer to bits and am shocked at how easy it was to set up compared to what I was expecting. Other than a very weird issue with my SN30 Pro+ when an update hit in September where I could no longer get it paired (since fixed) it's been largely hassle free and super fun to work with. I'm really hoping that the save states and rewind features on the GB core that came out recently can help light a path to getting that implemented elsewhere as well.

Saoshyant posted:

Supposedly, the ceiling is Nintendo 64. And considering PS1 is being made "with enough room on the board", Saturn (if very well optimized) is possible. Now, if there's enough interest for a team to tackle all the chips in the thing is another matter altogether.
I'm not sure how out of date this is at this point but this has been in the FAQ section of the Classic Gaming discord for a while:

https://twitter.com/sentientsixp/status/1264949510029131776

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Anyone here using mister in an arcade cabinet with a jamma adapter? There appears to be a few.

Curious if something like that would work and if and how you could force the video output to be 480p ie vga if possible (vs 15khz 240p).

My arcade cab has a pi2jamma and a neo geo board in it, it sounds like mister could possibly replace the pi for some stuff, hence the curiosity.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the io board -should- be able to get you a useable signal. my big reservation would be that most, but not all, arcade cores require a verticaly oriented monitor. so if you want to play street fighter then, like, anything else, you are physically going to have to rotate your monitor 90 degrees. and many arcade cores dont have options for screen flipping, so even if your monitor is orientated correctly you might still need to physically rotate it around 180 degrees between games as there's no guarantee you're going to be able to set that in software

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I would really love to run my MiSTer to my CRTs but I'm having a hard time finding people with reasonable international shipping.
All my stuff is in JP21 so I'd probably need an adapter for that too, unless someone makes a JP21 pinout cable.
I've bit the bullet and ordered most of my cables from retro access in the past but the shipping is about the price of the cables.
Maybe I'll email them and see if they can make me a JP21 version. Even with the expensive shipping it might be worth it vs. ordering from multiple sites.

Also I had a really poor experience with the audio out on the IO board, I'd eventually like to switch that to optical as well.

Edit: I think the cheapest option is to get a VGA to BNC breakout and a 5$ Ali Express DAC.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 2, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/sentientsixp/st...s1_c10&ref_url=

https://twitter.com/srg320_/status/...s1_c10&ref_url=

https://twitter.com/srg320_/status/...s1_c10&ref_url=

:bignews:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Ugh I love my mister so much.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Good lord.

I need the biggest SD card you have.

No, that's too big.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 3, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pegnose Pete posted:

I need the biggest SD card you have.

SMB FTW, if you don't care about portability it's just wonderful to have access to effectively infinite disk space.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, that's a new Patreon to put money in. Is there anyone else working on Sega hardware cores? The Sega Pico guy, I don't think he has a Patreon. MrX who was working on System 16 gave up due to health issues, so I pulled my funding from there. Jotego mentioned Outrun IIRC, but he keeps working on too many things at once, so he's unlikely to tackle anything Sega for a while if ever.

I just want more Sega hardware preserved, especially the arcade systems.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Saoshyant posted:

Well, that's a new Patreon to put money in. Is there anyone else working on Sega hardware cores?

MrX who was working on System 16 gave up due to health issues, so I pulled my funding from there.

Is he in the US? Jesus.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

wolrah posted:

SMB FTW, if you don't care about portability it's just wonderful to have access to effectively infinite disk space.

I have 10 RAID TBs in a NAS but no way to run ethernet to the MiSTer. I should pick up a wifi dingle but I doubt that would be enough for SMB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pegnose Pete posted:

I have 10 RAID TBs in a NAS but no way to run ethernet to the MiSTer. I should pick up a wifi dingle but I doubt that would be enough for SMB?

Without knowing what the Mister's network stack is capable of, I don't think wifi is going to load an ISO any slower than an actual Saturn reading a disc.