Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Cease to Hope posted:

Giving up on that was one of a bunch of mistakes and mismanagement decisions from back then, although it's not a story I know everything about. I don't think anyone is really happy with how it shook out, though. I hope not at least.

Honestly, it wasn't. Because it is ours, no one, and I mean NO ONE, will ever believe that we are impartial. Give up on the idea if it ever even enters your brain. The ship has sailed long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Honestly, it wasn't. Because it is ours, no one, and I mean NO ONE, will ever believe that we are impartial. Give up on the idea if it ever even enters your brain. The ship has sailed long ago.

Knowing that and trying anyway made it more interesting and more informative. It wasn't, like, great writing, but it was pretty good, and having everyone raging at a flawed decent effort when the alternative was poo poo like evenews24 was a good trick on top of that.

Anyway. Water under the bridge.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

coelomate posted:

Yeah that one-time only SP pack is sweet, I bought it for an almost-Orca alt and it helped get me hooked on steady lazy income.

I know it's boo scary CCP selling skillpoints, but it's awesome and keeping it once per account doesn't feel awful in terms of wrecking the ecosystm.

p.s. buy all the poo poo you want it will feel good :sun:

Klyith posted:

As it turns out, CCP selling skillpoints is what we should have wanted all along as long a SP were gonna be sold.

The system we got had the unintended consequence of sucking huge amounts of plex out of the market into SP farms for the first year or two, contributing to a sharp rise in plex cost. In the long run having plex as an intermediate step likely removes more plex than it adds, and primarily benefits players who run lots of accounts.

If you have a dozen accounts and don't need to train, skillfarming them is a zero-effort way to get 2/3rds of your accounts free. Some of these are low-content players like the guys who multibox 30 afk cloakers. Eve doesn't need more systems that primarily benefit heavy multiboxers. (I'm not against multiboxing as a matter of principle or anything, but you have to admit that 5 real players are more interesting to the game than 1 guy controlling 5 accounts.)

Yet another case of the playerbase being hosed over by things the players asked for. That one I'll admit I didn't see coming though. I thought skill extractors were a good & fair system when proposed.

I was going to say: at this juncture of the game's life, 18 years in, I'm substantially more okay with it. A decade and a half ago I would've been up in arms and it would've felt pay-to-win, but at this point character trading has been a thing for so long, PLEX was devised to help facilitate that and counter ISK selling, skill extractors are a (good) thing, and people keep coming back from such long breaks from the game with skills for Neat poo poo™ now missing that it just makes sense to sell a limited number of outright SP, either for retvets to catch up or for newbies to climb into hulls faster if they wish to go that route. Like, I imagine I'm hardly the only retvet on the Imperium side alone who has logged back in full of piss, vinegar and Wing Commander soundtracks only to, for example, discover there's a new, 500k+ SP wall per fighter class to using individual fighter types well (and unlocking the T2 fighters if you have Fighters V), never mind the training now needed to make one's hangar capacity good. And that's not even factoring in things like doctrine shifts or old, previously-neglected skills getting reworked to be more important.

Things that onboard people faster will help retention at this point, and there are so many high-SP characters in warfare now that helping others fill in skill holes and make "new" high-level combat characters is not going to swing the ~balance of power~ to that great a degree, outside of the fact that people will actually stick around for a while.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Klyith posted:

you have to admit that 5 real players are more interesting to the game than 1 guy controlling 5 accounts.)

Have you met globby?

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

https://zkillboard.com/kill/89916405/

on my first kill mail in about 10 years.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Fanelien posted:

https://zkillboard.com/kill/89916405/

on my first kill mail in about 10 years.

:hfive: goonfriend. The hellcamp is a good and snuggly place to re-acquaint oneself with shooting people in the space video game.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SpaceDrake posted:

A decade and a half ago I would've been up in arms and it would've felt pay-to-win,

I've just generally found that eve doesn't have a pay2win advantage at any time, because so much of what makes winning happen in eve is things you can't pay for. Knowledge, economic insight, political acumen, charisma, you can't pay CCP for any of that.

If someone wins a pvp duel because they p2w'd one of the OP triangulon ships, they probably didn't have a massively wide gap in pvp experience against the guy they fought. And that's the place where buying advantage has the most impact, a 1 on 1 fight.

orange juche posted:

Have you met globby?

Definitely an exception.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
always get your one: https://fleetcom.space/battlereport/MEQkGCnYrvconFfuX

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

quote:

(8:12:57 PM) the_mittani: i was watching the tetras sort out their new-school dominance hierarchy
(8:13:00 PM) the_mittani: while high as balls
(8:13:12 PM) the_mittani: and i checked my phone after zoning out at the fish for ??? however long
(8:13:17 PM) the_mittani: and then saw breakout

:2bong: :catdrugs: we need :fishdrugs: imo!!!!~

Me:

Solus fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 13, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I now have 5 solo kills after getting two tonight :)

https://zkillboard.com/kill/89917494/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/89917564/

That claw also was part of a 20 man jackdaw fleet that warped onto me right as I killed them and disrupted me. Fun thing is tho, the claw is faster than missiles. I got out in 3% structure lol

I also got the final scram on this loki
https://zkillboard.com/kill/89917589/

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 13, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Stereotype posted:

I now have 5 solo kills after getting two tonight :)

https://zkillboard.com/kill/89917494/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/89917564/

That claw also was part of a 20 man jackdaw fleet that warped onto me right as I killed them and disrupted me. Fun thing is tho, the claw is faster than missiles. I got out in 3% structure lol

I also got the final scram on this loki
https://zkillboard.com/kill/89917589/

i gotta get better at flying and also start soloing in my claws, i've lost one claw and two stilettos since coming back. at least i've been able to tackle some stuff.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So did they manage to stage a breakout or are they still royally hosed?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
still pretty hosed

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
woah this claw has three killmarks on it now.

it's those three gold ticks on the side. super cool

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 13, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

orange juche posted:

So did they manage to stage a breakout or are they still royally hosed?

they tried one early this morning and lost an interceptor fleet for basically nothing in return, they came back later with another fleet but didn't really do much of anything. popped some bubbles that were immediately replaced, that's it.

the reality is that if they really try and organize an effective breakout attempt that could maybe have enough people show up to potentially actually work, we will know about it in advance and be able to organize a counter-fleet to prevent it from working. their morale is poo poo and their numbers have been dropping, i don't see them getting out any time soon.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

After many years of searching I've found it, the pubbiest profile.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Klyith posted:

I've just generally found that eve doesn't have a pay2win advantage at any time, because so much of what makes winning happen in eve is things you can't pay for. Knowledge, economic insight, political acumen, charisma, you can't pay CCP for any of that.

Interestingly, Toilet EVE has been seeing a fair amount of this; you still can't RMT for skills too easily in that game, but you can RMT for ships like a motherfucker, and there have been a lot of people clearly RMTing "uber" ships and obviously expecting to Just Win. They also didn't expect their ships to just vanish into the ether when blown up (as Toilet EVE actually lacks ship insurance entirely past very basic hulls).

It also probably doesn't help that, for some reason, Toilet EVE was getting advertisements in line with many other mobile titles at launch (I remember the one where an ORE vessel would just upgrade from a Venture up to a Noctis as it hoovered in ore. But in a lot of ways, Echoes is a faithful adaptation of EVE, so tons of folks just durdled in expecting to be uber and ended up losing billions of isk (and hundreds of dollars) at a blow.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the reality is that if they really try and organize an effective breakout attempt that could maybe have enough people show up to potentially actually work, we will know about it in advance and be able to organize a counter-fleet to prevent it from working. their morale is poo poo and their numbers have been dropping, i don't see them getting out any time soon.

We were discussing it in fleet and it has to be emphasized: any kind of reinforcement fleet organized by trapi has to travel, at a minimum, five jumps from T5Z to reach M2-. Aside from hellcamp participants, meanwhile, the Imperium can simply deliver reinforcements on demand via either jump or Gooncannon from 1DQ (or, theoretically, almost anywhere in Delve). Moreover, a lot of wider trapi assets are devoted to trying to defend their assets in Querious and Catch from counter-aggression or just opportunistic attack; serious muster at T5Z requires some of the membership to travel from outside of Delve to muster in T5Z, giving us more time to rally and reinforce the hellcamp.

At some point, they're either going to have to force another colossal fight (which will likely end poorly for them) or they'll just have to suicide the lot of their pilots to free them and put the fleets back together. The trapping of so many combat pilots is very clearly hampering their effectiveness.

vulvamancer posted:

i love how this guy wants to be a sith so badly but makes the whole "there is no [x]" thing sound even dumber

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

vulvamancer posted:

In the most pubbie corp, too :haw:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SpaceDrake posted:

Moreover, a lot of wider trapi assets are devoted to trying to defend their assets in Querious and Catch from counter-aggression or just opportunistic attack; serious muster at T5Z requires some of the membership to travel from outside of Delve to muster in T5Z, giving us more time to rally and reinforce the hellcamp.

yeah, i mean papi's breakout attempts today have consisted of shooting bubbles over where the brave supers are trapped because brave is getting their poo poo pushed in over in catch and absolutely need those supers to defend their poo poo right the gently caress now. keeping them trapped isn't just loving their morale and hurting their numbers in delve, it's also causing them to lose fights they need to win elsewhere as well.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 13, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

vulvamancer posted:

Lacks whole rainbow puke of colors tho

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Erulisse posted:

Lacks whole rainbow puke of colors tho

Toss a coin to your pubbie and you might just see it

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 13, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I believed it. :mad:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

vulvamancer posted:

tbf, "Ransom Fleet" kind of has a nice ring to it.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://zkillboard.com/kill/89911455/

They're kicking pilots who are stuck logged off lmao

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Solus posted:

It's been quite a few years since I've played and the game is still mostly a mystery to me, but are they just trickling in randomly and getting killed immediately by a standing fleet?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

they keep throwing caracal fleets away trying to free brave's supers

on that note i flew a sabre this morning for the first time, replacing the bubbles they were popping :getin:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Solus posted:

loving pubbies :cripes:

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Solus posted:

Mah Killboards!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Big push for M2 happening

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Raged posted:

:f5:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
They have anchored a morale azbel 30au from the keepstsar

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Raged posted:

yeah they seem serious for once

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Solus posted:

They have anchored a morale azbel 30au from the keepstsar

oh no... whatever shall we do?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oh hell yeah since a bunch of us got popped laying down bubbles to cover for the ones they were blowing up i ended up on several killmails of goons that died, this is great

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 13, 2021

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Um, thanks for the inevitable free core I guess?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zesty posted:

It's been quite a few years since I've played and the game is still mostly a mystery to me, but are they just trickling in randomly and getting killed immediately by a standing fleet?

Yes, that's been the story of the past two weeks or so now.

They're finally trying to (re)establish a foothold, but we know exactly where it is and can form up to obliterate it in firey hellwar in 48 hours.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Solus posted:

He’s already back in Horde. Can’t let that Thanatos loss hurt the official numbers!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bob Socko posted:

He’s already back in Horde. Can’t let that Thanatos loss hurt the official numbers!

this the most pathetic thing i've ever heard of lmfao

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I take it the breakout got killed? At work crew represent :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Trapi appears to have dropped a manufacturing structure in system, far away from the hellcamp grid.