Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

It is idiotic that calling a group of women and men 'guys' is totes ok, but calling a group of women and men 'fellas' is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Everyone should just learn English

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
If only Esperanto had taken off we could be having this conversation in Esperanto

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

now that the uk is out the eu should push esperanto as a universal language in schools

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
An entirely new universal language is dumb. Use a simplified version of an existing, already popular language. That will work much better as a basic form of universal communication because there's already a ton of people who already speak it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

An entirely new universal language is dumb. Use a simplified version of an existing, already popular language. That will work much better as a basic form of universal communication because there's already a ton of people who already speak it

:quebec:

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Gripweed posted:

I guess we're all learning pinyin baby

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

An entirely synthetic language created by a linguist is the only way to truly universalize communication without marginalizing any existing population groups.

Which is why everyone should start speaking Klingon.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9BO3Sv1MEE

ive never studied esperanto but i understand every single word. it really does work as a universal intermediate european language

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The problem with Esperanto is that people still have accents.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

every schoolchild should learn at least a basic set of chinese characters by meaning, at least 200 or so to get them going

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Let's face it - who is learning German in 2021. Not even the Germans

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Let's face it - who is learning German in 2021. Not even the Germans

i didnt learn german, i just absorbed german by hearing it often enough. i just ignore grammatical gender and declension/conjugation rules though and mostly wing it, it seems to work fine. that stuff isnt actually needed for being understood

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've been "learning" german online from a lady in Sachsen-Anhalt since around rona started and my main takeaway is that no one actually understands german grammar

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've been "learning" german online from a lady in Sachsen-Anhalt since around rona started and my main takeaway is that no one actually understands german grammar

teaching grammar is counterproductive most of the time anyway and gets students stuck on things that they shouldnt get stuck on, it should come last as a way to polish the language you already intuitively know through exposure and gradual production not as the first hurdle

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

as far as "arbitrary bullshit to remember when learning a language" goes, the gendered nouns in spanish have nothing on ....the entire English language

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

3D stuff was cool and the backlash to it seemed weird to me. people complained about the 3DS and said they always turned it off and everybody always says they think 3D television is useless and looks bad or made them dizzy or something. i can get that there wasn't much media made to take advantage of it and it doesn't add that much to most media but i always thought it basically looked really cool and especially the stuff without glasses like the 3DS, never gave me headaches either so i wonder if most people's eyes are just bad?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

as far as "arbitrary bullshit to remember when learning a language" goes, the gendered nouns in spanish have nothing on ....the entire English language

actually english easy is very, hard part pronunciation only maybe be, part appeal language global of be how construct sentence easy are, latin and alphabet simple be

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah but having nouns in front of adjectives makes sense, what if you get crushed by a giant anvil in the middle of a sentence describing what you're looking at?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

verbs should be at the end of sentences because they neatly wrap up all of the preceding in a single action, like in dutch german and japanese but not in english

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone should just talk like me. It'd make everything a lot simpler.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i'd say the only truly complicated part of English language is all the weird tense and time reference stuff going on. That and articles. Oh, and also the weird and arbitrary rules on word order, be it adjectives or fairly strict noun-verb ordering. And a complete lack of any consistency in pronounciation (that's to be expected though, given its origins)

However, English's got nothing on all the bullshit that goes on in Slavic and Baltic languages, with their extremely complicated declension systems and numerous corner cases that you just need to remember, along with their weird and inconsistent rules on grammatical gender, case usage, etc

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the only language I've made any real effort to learn is Spanish, and other than gendered nouns and pronouns it's a super easy and beautiful language that makes English look like a big ol pile of poo poo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

You think that suitcases are girls and cats are boys.

If a romance language has a noun as female it's because someone tried to gently caress it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

the only language I've made any real effort to learn is Spanish... English look like

protip: your monolingualism might be influencing the second thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

If a romance language has a noun as female it's because someone tried to gently caress it.

Explains nauta.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

protip: your monolingualism might be influencing the second thing

I can't compare two languages unless I ...know other languages?

I'm just comparing English to Spanish and saying spanish makes more sense, I'm not saying anything about any other languages or how spanish compares to them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

I can't compare two languages unless I ...know other languages?

I'm just comparing English to Spanish and saying spanish makes more sense, I'm not saying anything about any other languages or how spanish compares to them

spanish doesn't make any more sense, you just have no reference point besides The Queen's English and have been opened up to crazy poo poo like "verb conjugations mean things" and "letters are pronounced a certain way" and it's dumb as gently caress to think basic spanish has enlightened you as to how much "sense" english makes vs any other language

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

spanish doesn't make any more sense, you just have no reference point besides The Queen's English and have been opened up to crazy poo poo like "verb conjugations mean things" and "letters are pronounced a certain way" and it's dumb as gently caress to think basic spanish has enlightened you as to how much "sense" english makes vs any other language

oh so just weird gatekeeping bullshit, got it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lmao the language snob has arrived

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There's no such thing as a good or bad language, only whether or not a language is effective at facilitating communication between two people. English is comprehensible and functional enough to the vast majority of humanity that it was able to become the lingua franca, just as French before it and whatever language comes after it, as well as thousands of other languages that serve just as well but simply did not have the backing of a sufficient world power. The only bad languages are ones that people choose not to learn because it looks dumb, so esperanto.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

christmas boots posted:

There's no such thing as a good or bad language, only whether or not a language is effective at facilitating communication between two people. English is comprehensible and functional enough to the vast majority of humanity that it was able to become the lingua franca, just as French before it and whatever language comes after it, as well as thousands of other languages that serve just as well but simply did not have the backing of a sufficient world power. The only bad languages are ones that people choose not to learn because it looks dumb, so esperanto.

Suggesting that English and French being very common is a sign of their quality as languages shows a great ignorance of why those languages actually became common

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

language shouldnt be allowed to just develop "freely" because that just means that language is dictated by media and the market and you get ugly little phrases and gamer-thronesisms, it should be centrally registered by a government agency who issues a guide for how it should be and tell people that "bend the knee" isn't a real phrase

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

oh so just weird gatekeeping bullshit, got it

no that'd be you dipshit. why does spanish make more sense than english? what sense does it make? what does (your basic) spanish let you express that this dumbass language i'm typing in doesn't? what the gently caress doesn't make sense about english?

Gripweed posted:

Suggesting that English and French being very common is a sign of their quality as languages shows a great ignorance of why those languages actually became common

it's because the UK, US, and France had the most and biggest boats

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Jan 13, 2021

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What is it about language discussion that makes people become assholes?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Like I said there are a thousand other languages that would serve just as well only they weren't backed by a world power the way French and English were. My post does not imply that English and French are superior languages because that concept is inherently nonsensical.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

christmas boots posted:

Like I said there are a thousand other languages that would serve just as well only they weren't backed by a world power the way French and English were. My post does not imply that English and French are superior languages because that concept is inherently nonsensical.

Nobody was saying French or English were superior languages.

Except maybe Edgar Allen Ho, they got really mad when someone insulted English

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

Nobody was saying French or English were superior languages.

Except maybe Edgar Allen Ho, they got really mad when someone insulted English

I took your post to mean I was implying that

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

no that'd be you dipshit. why does spanish make more sense than english? what sense does it make? what does (your basic) spanish let you express that this dumbass language i'm typing in doesn't? what the gently caress doesn't make sense about english?

well, I guess in your words

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"verb conjugations mean things" and "letters are pronounced a certain way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Everyone wants to communicate in the way that is familiar to them. The most foreign thing you can experience is trying to communicate with someone that doesn't understand anything about you or your culture. It would be weird if people didn't have arguments about something so important.