Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Could they not get a picture that didn’t make it look like some greasy-handed goon had been groping it for an hour?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Korean Boomhauer posted:

probably an incredibly obvious question but should i disable my adblocker entirely to get the button to turn yellow or can i unblock a certain thing or can i leave it all up?

I didn't need to disable mine, but it wouldn't hurt.

Bad Munki posted:

Could they not get a picture that didn't make it look like some greasy-handed good had been groping it for an hour?

They were going for realism in the photo.

e; Wait. It's based on a 3080 but only has DP 1.4 + HDMI 2.0a? What?

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 13, 2021

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got my 3070 in tonight!

It's actually smaller than my 1080ti. It also draws like 60 watts less under load and is a bit cooler and way quieter. Now it's time to sell both of my 1080ti's and my refurbished 1080 that hasn't been used for more than I paid for them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

1080tis are seriously going for $500 on eBay huh.

Same price as 2070s so I guess that’s consistent...=

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Am I doing the discord right? I'm in ATR-Stonks, I went into #notification-selection, and reacted with a 2 on the appropriate post for the rtx 3080 group, then I've gone through and muted all the groups of channels except #tracking-rtx-3080 in the tracking-rtx group, I also have #official-stock-updates unmuted, and both of those channels are set to @mentions only. Do I only need to unmute one of those two channels? If so, which one? How do I filter this to only ping on Best Buy stocks?

I don't discord much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Pretty sure the best way to get a 1080ti right now is to wait for the marshals to auction seized cards.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My goal is to go from a 1070 to a 3080 so I'm pretty much expecting my face to melt

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pretty sure the best way to get a 1080ti right now is to wait for the marshals to auction seized cards.

is parler running on gpus or something?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/12/22227040/nvidia-amd-gpu-shortage-rtx-3080-3070-3060-ti-3090-rx-6800-xt

quote:

Nvidia, meanwhile, is now saying that supplies of its GPUs to both consumers and partners “will likely remain lean through Q1,” and we’re not even talking about the first quarter of the year — Nvidia’s fiscal Q1 doesn’t end until late April. That’s an awfully long wait.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

shrike82 posted:

is parler running on gpus or something?

They usually drop a bunch of cards once a month from various criminal enterprises mining crypto.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Parler/parler users were involved in that kind of thing, though.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

:rip: 3080 shoppers

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I’m starting to think that the only time these cards will reach normal stock levels will be when the 4000 series releases.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
counterpoint, the verge loving sucks donkey dick. I would love to see a better source

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Fauxtool posted:

counterpoint, the verge loving sucks donkey dick. I would love to see a better source

I mean it's literally from a transcript from today's Nvidia meeting: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4398578-nvidia-corporation-nvda-presents-19th-annual-j-p-morgan-tech-auto-forum-conference-transcript
I guess you might be able to challenge the accuracy of the transcript, but from what we have here, it doesn't sound all that different from what the Nvidia rep said.

quote:

Harlan Sur

Great. Thanks for that. So, you’re absolutely right. I mean reading your enthusiast class gamers and the blogs out there, obviously we’ve heard a lot about the adoption of the A100 by your cloud and hyperscalers. We had Kimberly present at our Healthcare conference and talk about the adoption rate of A100 in DGX with her partners as well. And then you’ve got some new products coming out, right? I know you’re not going to give us a sneak peek of the Game On event at 9:00 a.m., but my sense is that you’re going to be rolling out your Max-Q lineup of products driven off of your 30 Series RTX-based products. But the problem is that given all of this strong demand, and I just checked, like for example, some of the retail sets at Best Buy today, I still can’t get an RTX 3070, RTX 3080, RTX 3090, your latest RTX 3060 Ti. I still can’t get it. It’s sold out everywhere. And so, can you give us an update on supply availability? Are the constraints more focused on wafer supply or advanced packaging and substation supply? And more importantly, when does the NVIDIA team expect the situation to improve?

Colette Kress

Thanks for that question. So in order to talk about supply, we first have to discuss the demand. We did have an exceptional overall holiday season. Gaming demand is off the charts. Our overall Ampere architecture and ray tracing are really a true success. This demand has remained stronger for longer. Okay? So, supply does remain tight at this time. We expect the overall channel inventories, meaning the inventories that are with our AIC partners as well as in our e-tail and retail channels will likely remain lean throughout Q1. Our overall capacity has not been able to keep up with that overall strong demand that we have seen. We’ve seen in terms of constraints, constraints really from the overall global surge of compute and the overall capacity, capacity that may be necessary for assembly and test and/or sub trades as well. But again, we remain focused on this and working each day to improve our overall supply situation.

News sucks, but at least they're being somewhat straight up about the whole situation.

mA fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 13, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rip people who dont already have an ampere gpu. Let hope they can make it until the 3080ti releases so it can also be impossible to buy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Space Racist posted:

I’m starting to think that the only time these cards will reach normal stock levels will be when the 4000 series releases.

nah. by that time everyone who skipped on the 3000 series because it's either not a generational upgrade or is too hard to acquire will then be gunning for the 4000s.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

gradenko_2000 posted:

nah. by that time everyone who skipped on the 3000 series because it's either not a generational upgrade or is too hard to acquire will then be gunning for the 4000s.

Isn't that...isn't that what the post you're quoting is saying?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

In some ways it feels like the 3080 is an even better card than the 3090 because the demand for the 80 has been so obscene. In another, more real way, the 3090 is faster with over double the VRAM. But still. Smiling serenely and feeling very hashtag blessed with my 3080 rn 🙌

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3090 is also about double the price on the top end models for sometimes as low as 5% more perf.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Sphyre posted:

In some ways it feels like the 3080 is an even better card than the 3090 because the demand for the 80 has been so obscene. In another, more real way, the 3090 is faster with over double the VRAM. But still. Smiling serenely and feeling very hashtag blessed with my 3080 rn 🙌
when i got fed up with the 3080 shortage and decided to just go "gently caress it" and get the 3090 i thought i was gonna regret overpaying that much but, no, i think it was probably the correct call if poo poo's going to be hosed up until at least april if not longer

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bad Munki posted:

Isn't that...isn't that what the post you're quoting is saying?

I mean as far as the availability of any card is concerned, the release of the 3000s didn't make the 2000s any cheaper or easier to get, and I assume the same will happen with the 3000s still being hard to get even after the 4000s come out

EDIT:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16409/amd-ceo-dr-lisa-su-interview-on-2021-demand-supply-tariffs-xilinx-and-epyc

quote:

Lisa Su: ‘We are shipping lots of parts, and volumes in all segments are increasing, and that will happen through 2021. There will be tightness in the first half of the year, but alongside consumers we also ship to OEM partners. There is some real-time prioritization between end-user and OEM, but we understand that consumers want more and it’s very high on our priority list to meet this high demand.’

quote:

Lisa Su: ‘We knew about the expiration of some tariff policies, and in advance worked towards a more flexible supply chain as it relates to AMD. We are committed to keeping GPU pricing as close to our suggested retail pricing as much as possible, because it’s the only way to be fair to the users. Normally when we have GPU launches, our own branded cards are available initially but then fade away for our partners to pick up. This time around we’re not phasing out our RX 6000 series, enabling us to sell direct to customers as low as possible. We’re encouraging partners to do the same. Not only tariffs, but the COVID environment has increased shipping and freight costs, which are hard to avoid. As we get into a more normal environment, this should improve. This also matters for our planned graphics updates through the first half of the year, as we have a lot of product coming to market.’

Note: by highlight that first phrase I'm not suggesting that there was some shenanigans afoot with regards to the tariffs, only that they apparently were aware of it coming

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 13, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

if the outsized demand is being driven by pascal upgraders, demand for the 4000 series might not be as crazy
turing owners probably are a smaller demo

it'll be interesting to see if RRP increases for the mid-gen supers and 4000. that seems like a better way to manage the demand/supply mismatch

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 13, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Feeling pretty good about deciding to snipe a Xbox series X preorder on the morning they opened up last year. I might just just put my plans for a new build entirely on the shelf until we start seeing more info about the next gen at the end of the year.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hmm, I was expecting the 3060 to draw less power (170W, more than a 2060), but I guess it's still proportionally a big gain in efficiency from Turing, and maybe that extra RAM isn't helping.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Mine just sold for $550 so yes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hopefully Biden will undo some of the dumber tariffs at least

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hopefully Biden will undo some of the dumber tariffs at least

He’s not planning on rushing through reversals. Most analysts believe he will only ease tariffs when he gets allies on board with a combined strategy for China.

Hope you like low stock and high prices because it’s going to be the norm for a bit.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Do we have any ideas on the real amount of RTX 3080 cards being sold? Are they selling millions of them but 30 millions more people worldwide still want them? Did they only sell like 200 000 cards so far worldwide?

It's wild. I said it a few times but I totally don't expect to get one as a Canadian.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hemish posted:

Do we have any ideas on the real amount of RTX 3080 cards being sold? Are they selling millions of them but 30 millions more people worldwide still want them? Did they only sell like 200 000 cards so far worldwide?

It's wild. I said it a few times but I totally don't expect to get one as a Canadian.

I dunno about Millions but going by Steam Survey (which isn't great but you can compare apples to apples) the 30xx share seems to be growing faster than the 20xx did at launch compared to the time since release.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lockback posted:

I dunno about Millions but going by Steam Survey (which isn't great but you can compare apples to apples) the 30xx share seems to be growing faster than the 20xx did at launch compared to the time since release.

Well that makes sense because one of these articles from the other day had the CEO or whoever saying they've sold twice as many 30xx cards as they had sold 20xx cards in the same time period since launch.

e: It was that one from the Verge quoted like 10 posts ago

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are actually only 3,080 cards in existence, consistently changing hands between scalper bots.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Hemish posted:

We don’t know but they only want to talk about demand.

it’s clearly not in the millions.

I don’t even think it’s in the triple digits of thousands for 3080s.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

exquisite tea posted:

There are actually only 3,080 cards in existence, consistently changing hands between scalper bots.

Well then the 4080 will be a major upgrade to the community in general, like a 30% increase in availability

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Passing down my 3080 to my grandchildren like a luxury chronometer.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radiohead71 posted:

Mine just sold for $550 so yes.

Jesus. I'm thinking of just listing mine for $450 on craigslist? And then $400 for the 1080 I guess?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

fknlo posted:

Jesus. I'm thinking of just listing mine for $450 on craigslist? And then $400 for the 1080 I guess?

yeah after ebay fees and risk and hassle etc youre not getting more than $450 anyway. craiglist is a smaller pool, local areas have different pricing too. my area has a microcenter and Ampere cards aren't impossible to get, so the used market is... not good but not super brutal.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

fknlo posted:

I just sold a 1080 SC2 for $350 on the bay so yea you miiiiight be able to swing 400 if you're lucky.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

George H.W. oval office posted:

I just sold a 1080 SC2 for $350 on the bay so yea you miiiiight be able to swing 400 if you're lucky.

The only reason I was considering that high is that it's "new" refurbished. I got it back and never used it. There isn't really anything comparable locally but it does seem high now that I'm looking at ebay.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I did it. I might have lost my 3080 but I got a RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming. I can finally rest now. Also sending that puppy to the post office to be picked up because I am not going through with that poo poo again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I did it. I might have lost my 3080 but I got a RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming. I can finally rest now. Also sending that puppy to the post office to be picked up because I am not going through with that poo poo again!

Good to hear!