Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

halokiller posted:

You still get some funny shenanigans in the beetleweight class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyLI9RBkhUQ&t=1147s

spoilers for this video, i guess

lmao what a waste of time, not a single one of these robots actually functions except the winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tunicate posted:

I know bounty hunter gives cash prizes split between multiple competitors (25,000 total per bounty round)

The main tournament also pays out, here's the payment from 2016

That said I think most of it is sponsor $, those aren't big prizes.

I used to regularly take part in a big annual fundraising event which used to be a well attended but no-frills cheap affair back when it started but because it was so popular every year the city put a bigger and bigger budget behind it and recently they've added pyrotechnics and a big professional AV team and jumbotron screens and dancers and poo poo like that. It was pretty galling that I was taking part in a huge event with at least a million dollar budget behind it and a whole bunch of people pulling professional weekend-rate wages and I was a dirt poor mostly unemployed goon who always ended up spending a bunch of money on it I could barely afford.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Got Discovery+

:lol: at Chomp defeated by the holes in the battlebox for the buzzsaws.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I wish they'd bring back the middle weight class, that always had the best damage/armor ratio into the olden days. Plus, a 75 lbs is gonna be a lot cheaper to build than a 300lb one

MW is a good weight class for that reason. It's light enough that the barrier to entry for mortals is not bad but it's heavy enough for hits to feel like they have weight to them. In lighter classes durability is higher and bots just seem to fling each other rather than doing damage.

HW was picked because a lot of veteran bots are in that class. Also, in the old days, MW just wasn't competitive. There was one good robot in the class until season 5. Didn't make for great TV.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Got Discovery+

:lol: at Chomp defeated by the holes in the battlebox for the buzzsaws.

Seemed the hammer had stopped working before then. The Chomp fire likely did some pretty serious damage. Was more than just a flame thrower on another bot... was their internals covered in leaking fuel and then lit on fire.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bodyholes posted:

MW is a good weight class for that reason. It's light enough that the barrier to entry for mortals is not bad but it's heavy enough for hits to feel like they have weight to them. In lighter classes durability is higher and bots just seem to fling each other rather than doing damage.

HW was picked because a lot of veteran bots are in that class. Also, in the old days, MW just wasn't competitive. There was one good robot in the class until season 5. Didn't make for great TV.

Isn't the current Battlebots weight somewhere between the old Heavyweight and Super-Heavyweight class?

Looking back, yeah, I guess Hazard really did just completely dominate Middle Weight, winning 3/5 years

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

The Glumslinger posted:

Isn't the current Battlebots weight somewhere between the old Heavyweight and Super-Heavyweight class?

Looking back, yeah, I guess Hazard really did just completely dominate Middle Weight, winning 3/5 years

Weight classes:
Lightweight – 60 pounds (27 kilograms)
Middleweight – 120 pounds (54 kilograms)
Heavyweight – 220 pounds (100 kilograms)
Superheavyweight – 340 pounds (154 kilograms)

New limit is 250, so yeah.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seemed the hammer had stopped working before then. The Chomp fire likely did some pretty serious damage. Was more than just a flame thrower on another bot... was their internals covered in leaking fuel and then lit on fire.

I think they would have burned up eventually but it sure looked like the reason they actually got counted out was the hammer was stuck in the killsaws slot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I know we're past the topic, but I just wanted to say that I'm sympathetic to Huge's design because it's always exciting. I rewatched the Huge vs. Mammoth fight, and that's the closest I've ever seen to a robot doing a piledriver on another robot. Huge always goes flying all over the place.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
2nd bounty hunter episode:

Skorpios is one of those real solid wedge bots with a fig leaf weapon. I can't remember a time I saw it do real damage, but it seems like it always just bashes the poo poo out of the other bot and keeps going with the best of them.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

PostNouveau posted:

2nd bounty hunter episode:

Skorpios is one of those real solid wedge bots with a fig leaf weapon. I can't remember a time I saw it do real damage, but it seems like it always just bashes the poo poo out of the other bot and keeps going with the best of them.

It's got really durable front armor and a really good driver. It's active weapon is sort of incidental, like Duck trying to pretend it's a lifter when it's honestly just a brick.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Usually Skorpios has a buzzsaw as its weapon, which is an interesting way of doing a hammer without needing to dedicate so much space in the robot to something that can swing the arm super hard, so it can spin up like a spinner and add that kinetic force to its swing, and maybe do some cutting as well. It's basically the same robot as Sawblaze, but it kinda has less of its design figured out.

Both Skorpios and Sawblaze have had issues with more typical thin buzzsaws not being able to take the punishment, so they're experimenting a little this year. That flamethrower arm doesn't look like it works well at all though because Skorpios wasn't really built to put that much force into just the swing of its arm, and flamethrowers are bad as weapons.

Hammers also have the advantage of being able to build brilliant wedges in front without getting in the way of of their weapon (at least, so long as they're willing to dedicate weight to it) and wedges can really work well for defense and control.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
One of the big advantages of bring a MODULAR robot is that the producers sometimes give you a free win matchup for the one time you don't use the vertical spinner.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Episode 6 was uploaded to Discovery+ early if anyones using that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why is IceWave the only bot to run on gas?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Why is IceWave the only bot to run on gas?

Because a tank full of gas and the equipment needed to burn it is heavier, larger, and more difficult to protect than a lipo battery, presumably.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My God the fights tonight. Entirely makes up for getting cockblocked by the bike rack last week.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Because a tank full of gas and the equipment needed to burn it is heavier, larger, and more difficult to protect than a lipo battery, presumably.

It's not really about the weight, the Etek motor that tombstone uses weighs like 25 lbs, which is about equal to or more than most gas engines. You usually aren't going to have a tank of gas much bigger than 16 oz. That's more than enough for a 3 minute fight. The downsides are the space that all of it takes up, it's more susceptible to flamethrowers, and you need to have a safe way to start the engine since it can't just be turned on with a switch on the transmitter. Engines have a lot more parts that can break or go wrong and aren't as easy to just replace as a motor. You need to also build in an emergency killswitch to kill the engine if something weird happens with the controls. You also have to vent the exhaust, which is usually just a pipe sticking out of your bot somewhere, but it's also more space that's taken up.

I ran a gas powered spinner back in the mid 2000s that used a modified concrete cutting saw engine. It wasn't super heavy, but it was big and loud and hard to start.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 14, 2021

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's not really about the weight, the Etek motor that tombstone uses weighs like 25 lbs, which is about equal to or more than most gas engines. You usually aren't going to have a tank of gas much bigger than 16 oz. That's more than enough for a 3 minute fight. The downsides are the space that all of it takes up, it's more susceptible to flamethrowers, and you need to have a safe way to start the engine since it can't just be turned on with a switch on the transmitter. Engines have a lot more parts that can break or go wrong and aren't as easy to just replace as a motor. You need to also build in an emergency killswitch to kill the engine if something weird happens with the controls. You also have to vent the exhaust, which is usually just a pipe sticking out of your bot somewhere, but it's also more space that's taken up.

I ran a gas powered spinner back in the mid 2000s that used a modified concrete cutting saw engine. It wasn't super heavy, but it was big and loud and hard to start.

Evil Engine or something right? Trying to remember from the ARC days, which feels like a hundred years ago at this point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That fight was lit. Valkyre looks a lot less fragile than before.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

That was a real slobber knocker of a fight. Good job Valkyrie

lol at Rotator going wedge first after the Beta fight

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

That fight was lit. Valkyre looks a lot less fragile than before.

Their weapon held up very well against that wedge.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

Their weapon held up very well against that wedge.

They absorbed a lot of big hits really well too. I feel like in past years they looked much lighter than the other bots.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gotta love a full-body spinner

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That was a real slobber knocker of a fight. Good job Valkyrie

lol at Rotator going wedge first after the Beta fight

Rotator used its weapon though. Big difference.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wedge-first was the right call. The wedge was a big advantage Rotator had over Valkyrie there. They had nothing to blunt Rotator's weapon with.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Possibly the only time you'll see either of these bots work as-intended

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Wedge-first was the right call. The wedge was a big advantage Rotator had over Valkyrie there. They had nothing to blunt Rotator's weapon with.

Rotator was absolutely counting on Valkyrie's weapon breaking on that wedge, and when it didn't happen they'd used up too much of the match to start actually doing damage.

Meanwhile that Sharko/Slap Box fight was hilarious.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol what rotten luck for Malice

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PostNouveau posted:

The ol' Razorback special from way back when

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: this fight

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Smee is so ridiculous.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

that was a fight that happened

first time I saw a winning bot where the weapon disconnceted from the frame. Pain Train still has drive issues

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

that was a fight that happened

first time I saw a winning bot where the weapon disconnceted from the frame. Pain Train still has drive issues

Pain Train probably got it based on it's aggressive pursuit of Smee's decals.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:stare:

Haha, the Uppercut team seems freaked out by their own robot.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Gas tank explosion :supaburn:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

ok Uppercut is legit :ssj:

good lord

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Uppercut is just crazy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Some bangers in that ep. Every fight but that Smeeeeeee one ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Really crazy. Usually the disc spinners create enough gyro force to keep a bot from balancing like that. At least it's pretty easy for them to fix in the future. Should only take a small piece of metal welded to the back to keep it from balancing like that...