Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Squidtits posted:

Anyone else getting a "Fast. Affordable. Sooner" feeling regarding the vaccine rollout?
Pfizer's 95% effectiveness vs AstraZeneca's 70% (possibly as low as 62%) is a huge gap.

No I dont because it is a load of media beatup. AstraZeneca is possibly as high as 90% (the half dose result) and even if it is 70%? That's actually really good for a vaccine and more than adequate. There is also a multi-vaccine strategy where Pfizer is to be given to the more vulnerable / critical groups (10 million doses on order), one other vaccine that I cant remember the name of and AstraZeneca given to others. Modenca has so far refused to supply due to mostly the fact they just cant meet anything close to demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
generally 50% effectiveness is considered acceptable for vaccines so i'm not too concerned at this stage

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No I dont because it is a load of media beatup. AstraZeneca is possibly as high as 90% (the half dose result) and even if it is 70%? That's actually really good for a vaccine and more than adequate. There is also a multi-vaccine strategy where Pfizer is to be given to the more vulnerable / critical groups (10 million doses on order), one other vaccine that I cant remember the name of and AstraZeneca given to others. Modenca has so far refused to supply due to mostly the fact they just cant meet anything close to demand.

Yeah with the flu shot don't they give the really good one to vulnerable people through doctors offices and everyone else has to go to a pharmacy for the slightly less effective one?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Does taking the Astra Zeneca vaccine preclude you from taking the Pfizer vaccine later on when demand eases?

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Does taking the Astra Zeneca vaccine preclude you from taking the Pfizer vaccine later on when demand eases?

Or if you've already had covid? There's a bunch of Questions that can be asked. My fear is an attempted return to normal without the herd immunity. What of you're one of the unlucky ones that can't vaccinated. There's always going to be the lol bl on losing your taste and smell. You got unlucky. It's not the future scenario I want but I suppose perfect is the enemy of good.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Bag of (shredded) goon

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Maybe worse.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
goon cheese is just smegma

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Lord Bude posted:

No, there's been a heap of vaccines that have been changed in the past and people have gotten the new ones with no problems.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Big Willy Style posted:

Name post c-c-c-c-combo!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Big Willy Style posted:

Smegma & tears actually.

KJS was diagnosed with lung cancer shortly after incarceration in 2014. He also suffered from ischaemic heart disease, atrial fibrillation, obesity, obstructive sleep apnoea, bronchiectasis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, prostate cancer and lumbar osteoarthritis. KJS was given radiotherapy and other treatments but the cancer progressed and he died in August 2015. The coroner found that the care, supervision and treatment of KJS was of an appropriate standard.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What is the efficacy a measure of though? Is it 95% efficacy at preventing contraction of disease or of preventing severe disease while not neccesserily preventing infection?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-14/when-backpackers-went-home-these-australians-tried-farm-work/13047062

ABC interviews some Australians who turned off Netflix and went to farms. My favourite is the 14 year old working 12 hours a day for $14/hr and going "this is fine".

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Eediot Jedi posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-14/when-backpackers-went-home-these-australians-tried-farm-work/13047062

ABC interviews some Australians who turned off Netflix and went to farms. My favourite is the 14 year old working 12 hours a day for $14/hr and going "this is fine".

Standard award agreements state that 15-year-olds and younger are paid 50% of the wage of a 21-year-old so the rate of pay probably is fine

Working 12 hour days at 14 absolutely isn't though

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
we back to the 16th century boys

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Eediot Jedi posted:

how the hell wasn't there something for him to fill his water up on a farm

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Town water is expensive! They'd go broke if they just threw it at every 14 year old with 'heatstroke'

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Water isn't for drinking it's for selling.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Eediot Jedi posted:

quote:

She missed out on a job that would have required her to work 12-hour days, seven days a week.

"I was like, I could do five 12-hour days a week, but I couldn't do seven," she said.
Goddamn kids these days are all lazy :bahgawd:

I'd gladly work 84 hours a week for free manning the guillotine for these wannabe slavers

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Remember this one lol

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/12/queensland-school-water-commercial-bottlers-tamborine-mountain

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/CUPUWorkers/status/1349140089872347138

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Eediot Jedi posted:

My favourite bit was the person who drank half a water bottle and then realised there was nowhere to get more water and would have to ration the other half a bottle of water over the remainder of their 12 hour shift.

Farmers are hosed eh?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

:tviv:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol remember that school that ran out of water in qld because nestle or coke or something was using all the water?

edit: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/12/queensland-school-water-commercial-bottlers-tamborine-mountain

crepeface fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 14, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They have every rigth to better pay.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

crepeface posted:

lol remember that school that ran out of water in qld because nestle or coke or something was using all the water?

edit: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/12/queensland-school-water-commercial-bottlers-tamborine-mountain
In that article it says that farms and households are responsible for by far the majority of groundwater usage in that region.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
gosh maybe the state shouldn't be selling something in such high demand to make gatorade

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

crepeface posted:

gosh maybe the state shouldn't be selling something in such high demand to make gatorade

They’re selling it to the farmers as well, at prices so low that water bottling companies will buy as much as they can lay their hands on.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
gosh maybe the state shouldn't be selling something in such high demand for farmers to resell?!?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

crepeface posted:

gosh maybe the state shouldn't be selling something in such high demand for farmers to resell?!?
Well I think maybe we're in agreement here.

Edit - except I'd say we should be selling it to farmers at a price where there's no profit in reselling it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So why can't we just sell water to local primary producers at a cheaper rate? And then make it illegal to sell that water? I dunno I'm not a lawyer. Seems loving insane that the free market is just at play here for no other reason than "multiple state MPs own stakes in foreign owned wineries in the region"

lmao I looked it up and a bunch of national LNP mps as well.

But yeah the farmers selling the water because its literally more profitable than growing food are to blame.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 15, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

So why can't we just sell water to local primary producers at a cheaper rate? And then make it illegal to sell that water?
Because there isn't enough water. There are a lot of places where food is being grown where we can't actually afford to grow food.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The Artificial Kid posted:

Because there isn't enough water. There are a lot of places where food is being grown where we can't actually afford to grow food.

there's a real discussion about water use efficacy and how much of our water ag actually needs to provide adequate food security, which is an important thing, but given that you have absolutely no insight into resource management I have to assume you are taking the piss and couldn't give less of a gently caress about that and are just trying to be argumentative on the internet for fun. Sorry if thats not the case but maybe take a look at how you actually talk online if it isnt.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh he's the 'masks cost too much' guy lol

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

there's a real discussion about water use efficacy and how much of our water ag actually needs to provide adequate food security, which is an important thing, but given that you have absolutely no insight into resource management I have to assume you are taking the piss and couldn't give less of a gently caress about that and are just trying to be argumentative on the internet for fun. Sorry if thats not the case but maybe take a look at how you actually talk online if it isnt.
If you want to educate me, educate me, I'm ready to listen. But just selling water to farmers cheaper than the market will result in them buying all the water.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Dude just get a hobby or something. Jerk off fifteen times in a row. Literally anything except what you're doing here

E: if you're actually serious; it's a huge topic that has lots of literature and arguments on both sides. I'm not actually qualified to educate you on it. Unclear why you would want a random on the internet to 'educate' you

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 15, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
if only there was a way of setting a maximum on how much water someone gets instead of throwing open the doors to the aquifer like an all you can eat buffet but such restraints on the system would violate the tenets of a free market. ahh well, at least number went up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

lol

https://twitter.com/anthonydever/status/1349666878868766720?s=21