Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Multiplayer "co op" is super fun. Played with 2 buds the other night and they played in Ireland while I'm in Denmark and it's great to be able to coordinate big fights and triple team "enemies" even when we aren't allied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Midgetskydiver posted:

Multiplayer "co op" is super fun. Played with 2 buds the other night and they played in Ireland while I'm in Denmark and it's great to be able to coordinate big fights and triple team "enemies" even when we aren't allied.

How does multiplayer work with regards to speeding up/slowing down time? Is that disabled or does it speed up/sow down for everyone?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

chaosapiant posted:

it speed up/sow down for everyone?

This. You kinda need to decide on a speed, and anyone can pause

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Midgetskydiver posted:

I got on with a bunch of friends and told everyone to go hog wild with the character creator, spend as many points as you want, we're just gonna goof around.

Then I seduced everyone's wives and they got some truly weird looking kids.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, I tend to like playing smaller characters because it's easier to manage and the prospect of one day ballooning out is appealing. Also, is it me or is gold hard to acquire? I know I can do various schemes and such and borrow from the Pope or whatever, but can I eventually get at least double digit gold numbers coming in per month based on my claims and holdings/tax and such?

Gold is the limiting factor in the early game. You be will absolutely raking it in late game on once you have a duchy or two's worth of built up holdings, but it takes a lot of time and a lot of effort to amass that capital. Take gold from wherever you can get it, the left branch of the Stewardship focus is really good for this, particularly once you hit Duke rank. As a count especially you really, really want the Council privilege so you can make yourself your liege's Steward, for +2 gpm and a building discount.

If you're really scraping by you don't want to spend it on buildings right away either, hoard it until you have the building discounts from the middle Stewardship tree.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If you've got an Intrigue ruler and max out the leftmost Intrigue tree to get x2 schemes at once, then grab Golden Obligations in Stewardship, you can rake in so much gold over a couple of decades. Set your Spymaster to search for secrets in the court of a large nearby ruler, and have 2 fabricate hook schemes going against wealthy targets at all times. It is pretty nice to get a ruler like this at the beginning of a game, so you can pump gold into infrastructure in your core counties.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't they super nerf the amount of cash you could pull out of foreign rulers with hooks in the last patch? That used to be my go-to move, but I haven't played since that change.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's still 50g per weak hook, and you've got 3 sources of weak hooks all working at once. Plenty of gold to get cracking on infrastructure and building up men at arms.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, I tend to like playing smaller characters because it's easier to manage and the prospect of one day ballooning out is appealing. Also, is it me or is gold hard to acquire? I know I can do various schemes and such and borrow from the Pope or whatever, but can I eventually get at least double digit gold numbers coming in per month based on my claims and holdings/tax and such?

As the others said, hooks are a solid way of making money. Put your spymaster in whatever the biggest realm you can reach. HRE, Byzantium, Abbasids, Pala, etc.

As a vassal, you want to change your feudal obligations to have guaranteed council rights, and demand to be the Steward. This gives you +2 gold/month (and cheaper buildings), which is often much more than you'll make from your county for the first few decades.

Every region of the map also has special provinces with buildings that generate extra gold, although some of them are pre-built while others aren't. Mines are the best for raw income, but even things like the Iron Pillar of Delhi (lowers army costs) or the Wall of Benin (+20% county gold) are helpful. Every single holy site has a special building as well, although they are really expensive to build.

If you're Catholic, go on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. Don't worry about the cost, and make sure you take the piety or clergy opinion options during the events. The pope will give you several times the gold you spent, and with the pilgrim trait you'll keep getting gold from him every decade or so.If he calls a crusade make sure to join, since that also gives you gold/piety just for saying you'll participate.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I've also never seen the Pope excommunicate you for not showing up to Crusade. I guess he's too busy going full Battle Pope to care.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

PittTheElder posted:

I've also never seen the Pope excommunicate you for not showing up to Crusade. I guess he's too busy going full Battle Pope to care.

Was definitely excommunicated for that. I then spent a hundred years founding my own religion and destroyed the Papal States in retaliation

House Cait
“gently caress around and find out”

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
It's already 1375 in my Tuscany turned Romagna empire game, so I'm thinking of my next game.

As a hardened CK2 vet is there anything I should know about how the Byzantine Empire works that has changed? I'm thinking of starting an 867 games as the independent Armenian duke on the Black Sea coast that borders the empire. Swear myself to Constantinople for protection, Holy War when I can and eat the empire from the inside.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
As far as I know Byzantium is like any other empire so far and has yet to have any special mechanics implemented.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's already 1375 in my Tuscany turned Romagna empire game, so I'm thinking of my next game.

As a hardened CK2 vet is there anything I should know about how the Byzantine Empire works that has changed? I'm thinking of starting an 867 games as the independent Armenian duke on the Black Sea coast that borders the empire. Swear myself to Constantinople for protection, Holy War when I can and eat the empire from the inside.

It starts out with a incomparable advantage of having primogeniture 400 years ahead of everyone else, and with very few mechanisms in place to create or ferment internal instability. It is very rarely attacked because no-one except a player would be stupid enough to do so. By the time any other group has amassed a similar ability to create a stable blob, the Byz has been blobbing up for twenty generations. Also, the way the religious rules now work, they can further accumulate friends and allies with just about anyone who'd otherwise be able to threaten them.

As a general rule these days, if I don't want to ironman it, my first order of business in any game is to use console commands to remove primogeniture from the Byzantines on the first day. The alternative is to play so far away from the European or Middle-eastern sphere that they're a non-factor in what you do anyway.

If the first expansion doesn't fix the Byzantine empire to become even remotely sensible and interesting, it'll be worth skipping it and any subsequent DLC until one comes along that does.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Agreed, except that until such time as Legacy Of Rome Redux comes out, the modders actually have things decently in hand (aside from a few odd bugs).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tippis posted:

If the first expansion doesn't fix the Byzantine empire to become even remotely sensible and interesting, it'll be worth skipping it and any subsequent DLC until one comes along that does.

The season pass thing they offered was 1 expansion and 2 flavor packs, so I would expect a Byzzie focused one to be a flavor pack.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
When is the first expansion coming out? Are they doing big expansions like for example Civ (or like what they did in the past) or small DCLs, like in CK2/Eu4?

edit: for someone who played countless hours of CK2 and had all DLCs, CK3 is being a bit of a mixed bag: the base game is amazing and a great improvement over CK2; specially character development and the whole intrigue/hook system is so superior I cant ever go back to CK2. At the same time, there are mechanics where CK3 is a step back from CK2 (like crown authority instead of the individual laws, the conclave council, no regencies etc) and a lot of stuff lacking on interface, map modes, ledgers, etc; and I keep missing those stuff a lot

edit 2: vvvv this is good

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 11, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So far they have said nothing. They're pretty clearly taking a slower approach with CK3 though, longer verification cycles and less hype for features that are still in development.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would expect modular DLC still, but a bit bigger than what you're used to with CK2 and EU4. The studio seems to be moving to a model of fewer but more substantial DLC expansions. Like, maybe a big one every 9 to 12 months with smaller content packs mixed in. EU4 is already like this now.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I just want to know what they're working on. Gimme a taste, Paradox. Just a little taste!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tippis posted:

It starts out with a incomparable advantage of having primogeniture 400 years ahead of everyone else, and with very few mechanisms in place to create or ferment internal instability. It is very rarely attacked because no-one except a player would be stupid enough to do so. By the time any other group has amassed a similar ability to create a stable blob, the Byz has been blobbing up for twenty generations. Also, the way the religious rules now work, they can further accumulate friends and allies with just about anyone who'd otherwise be able to threaten them.

Mileage seems to vary on this one. I frequently see the Byzantines get knocked around by the Abbasids or the Seljuks (or, once, by Poland; that was weird). They're more stable than they should be but they're not a monolith in my experience.

Tippis posted:

Given that, as far as I can recall, the only thing the devs said about expansions before release was "the Byzantines are complicated and will require their own expansion to get them where we want them," I'd be surprised if they're not, in fact, the first expansion.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

If you don't want to start as the emperor proper, you can start as young Alexios, the doux of Boukellarion in 1066, and fulfill your destiny

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Which is extra funny because he starts with like 11 traits. Shame the Seljuks never make any sort of inroad in Anatolia and even if they get wrecked in Armenia there is no civil war.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

disaster pastor posted:

Given that, as far as I can recall, the only thing the devs said about expansions before release was "the Byzantines are complicated and will require their own expansion to get them where we want them," I'd be surprised if they're not, in fact, the first expansion.

one could say their form of government was quite... byzantine :smug:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If there some OP count somewhere with like cool traits?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alexios, Rurik, and Haesteinn, off the top of my head. Former two are dukes though.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'll check those guys out, I guess I'm more looking for fun small starts than OP ones.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So here's something kind of neat I discovered while checking out all of the cadet houses that had splintered off from my dynasty. Usually when one is made I assume the motto is randomly picked from a pre-set list, but occasionally one will be dynamically generated.

I don't remember offhand how exactly this guy died but I do remember it being pretty unremarkable, but gotta respect the commitment to forcing his decedents to remember him.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I swear every single game where I want to just hang out as a count or duke I end up being elected to the HRE.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If there some OP count somewhere with like cool traits?

You can give anyone cool traits with the ruler designer. There are a bunch of Counts that start with either rich provinces or with a lot of holdings if you want a stronger start.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Moon Slayer posted:

So here's something kind of neat I discovered while checking out all of the cadet houses that had splintered off from my dynasty. Usually when one is made I assume the motto is randomly picked from a pre-set list, but occasionally one will be dynamically generated.

I don't remember offhand how exactly this guy died but I do remember it being pretty unremarkable, but gotta respect the commitment to forcing his decedents to remember him.

That is a pretty common motto if you click around other families. Sometimes you’re remembering someone who died before the playable time frames which is neat

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I had an uncle start his own cadet dynasty with just him in it with that as the motto.

When he died it went extinct.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is there any guide on cadets and stuff? Im still clueless on that

So much that something happened yesterday on my current game that I dont know if its a bug or just something that happens:

House Caldeira is a dynasty I created in this game, since I used the custom ruler designer. With time, a bunch of cadet houses were created from it, which is pretty cool.

But, all of a sudden one of them, Mondoñedo, is being listed like "Founding House", when the founding house, as I understand, would be Caldeira branch, which is now listed as a cadet branch. Mondoñedo is a very small and recent branch, as you can see on the print, with nobody important on it. Caldeira is still the branch Im in (Im the empress)

I have no idea what happened here. I had changed the name of my house some time ago, I wonder if that caused the game to freak like that? I changed back later, but still Mondonẽdo is listed as founder

Or this has some explanation?

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019
Okay, so I tried something silly in this game recently.

I created a custom ruler on the island of Krete. I randomly generated the character and didn't change anything except for the gender and religion. Instead of male they were female, and instead of a Muslim faith, they were now an Adamite.

I did this because I was curious to see how the game handled "Wild Oat" inheritance for religions that have the "No Bastards" trait when they came into conflict with religions that don't have that trait.

I immediately swore vassalage to the Byzantine Empire and let the game play out for a bit. After a while, I noticed something interesting. The son of the Byzantine Emperor is married to an older woman, and has no current heirs. This is my opportunity! I go down the seduction skill tree, but at absolute best I can only get a 40% chance of success to seduce him. I go ahead anyway, and much to my surprise, it works. Shortly afterwards, my character becomes pregnant and has a child. I immediately out the affair to see how the game would handle the succession.

Turns out the son is:
A.) Born to my house.
B.) Is directly in line to inherit the Byzantine Empire.

At first, I thought this might be just a matter of him being the only son, but later on the Emperor's son married another younger woman after the first one died and had several more children. All of them were directly behind my son in the inheritance, and since the Byzantines have primogeniture, they all got nothing when the Emperor and his son eventually died.

So now I am now the bastard ruler of the Byzantine Empire. This all started as a silly joke, but now I've become actually attached to the character and want to keep playing.

I am almost certain this will be patched out in the future because it is the height of absurdity for the game to give precedent to the lower ranked mother's religion when the higher ranked father's religion does not allow bastards to inherit without legitimization, but for now I am going to enjoy it. I just love the idea of some Byzantine Court official having to tell Konstantinos the VIII, "Sorry, but this random heretic nudist Count from the island of Krete claims her child is the son of Konstantinos the VII, and he is older than you so he gets the entire Empire, better luck next time!."

CourtFundedPoster fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 14, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the combination of the people of the city and the military establishment should be far more willing to turf your rear end your being an illegitimate weirdo, hopefully that's the first DLC.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Moon Slayer posted:

It's a common kind of motto for extant dynasties too. Clan Mackinnon's motto is "Remember the death of Alpin" because their claim is that they're supposedly descended from the Alpinids, even though absolutely nobody remembers who Alpin even was. You'd think they'd prefer to have a motto associated with Kenny instead.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There should be an element of chance involved, IMO. So, like, 9 out of 10 times your bastard will be kicked to the curb, but there's a tiny chance he could be heralded as the true king or maybe freak accidents eliminate every other claimant or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

super-redguy posted:

It's a common kind of motto for extant dynasties too. Clan Mackinnon's motto is "Remember the death of Alpin" because their claim is that they're supposedly descended from the Alpinids, even though absolutely nobody remembers who Alpin even was. You'd think they'd prefer to have a motto associated with Kenny instead.

They remember that he died, and that is enough

E: drat, googling Alpinid sure turns up some stuff

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 14, 2021

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

CourtFundedPoster posted:

Okay, so I tried something silly in this game recently.

I created a custom ruler on the island of Krete. I randomly generated the character and didn't change anything except for the gender and religion. Instead of male they were female, and instead of a Muslim faith, they were now an Adamite.

I did this because I was curious to see how the game handled "Wild Oat" inheritance for religions that have the "No Bastards" trait when they came into conflict with religions that don't have that trait.

I immediately swore vassalage to the Byzantine Empire and let the game play out for a bit. After a while, I noticed something interesting. The son of the Byzantine Emperor is married to an older woman, and has no current heirs. This is my opportunity! I go down the seduction skill tree, but at absolute best I can only get a 40% chance of success to seduce him. I go ahead anyway, and much to my surprise, it works. Shortly afterwards, my character becomes pregnant and has a child. I immediately out the affair to see how the game would handle the succession.

Turns out the son is:
A.) Born to my house.
B.) Is directly in line to inherit the Byzantine Empire.

At first, I thought this might be just a matter of him being the only son, but later on the Emperor's son married another younger woman after the first one died and had several more children. All of them were directly behind my son in the inheritance, and since the Byzantines have primogeniture, they all got nothing when the Emperor and his son eventually died.

So now I am now the bastard ruler of the Byzantine Empire. This all started as a silly joke, but now I've become actually attached to the character and want to keep playing.

I am almost certain this will be patched out in the future because it is the height of absurdity for the game to give precedent to the lower ranked mother's religion when the higher ranked father's religion does not allow bastards to inherit without legitimization, but for now I am going to enjoy it. I just love the idea of some Byzantine Court official having to tell Konstantinos the VIII, "Sorry, but this random heretic nudist Count from the island of Krete claims her child is the son of Konstantinos the VII, and he is older than you so he gets the entire Empire, better luck next time!."

Holy moly, is this what the seduction tree was made for? Seduce every male ruler on the map and watch your dynasty take over? This is incredible!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Yo mamma's such a ho, your family is the undisputed rulers of Europe, wait no not the dungeon ...!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
The first time I saw that motto, it was telling their cadet branch to remember the death of its still living founder. Made me think of "my death is just the beginning" stuff.