Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQmEkpbJJvE

shawn did have a comeback match for his school

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Liddell has also trained Glenn Beck, so it sounds like he's not averse to humouring some rich idiot for an easy payday.

Christ. I didn't know that. drat Chuck sucks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would gladly take his money to hold focus mitts and tell him he has "heavy hands" while he wheezes and turns redder and redder. That's money he's not spending on magic underwear and Ben Shapiro appearance fees.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

Christ. I didn't know that. drat Chuck sucks.

Chuck rules I don't care if people find 100 problematic quotes he destroyed Tito and he's got that look in his eyes Joe.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Chuck rules I don't care if people find 100 problematic quotes he destroyed Tito and he's got that look in his eyes Joe.

I mean destroying Tito was incredibly sick and I still love watching that.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I too deeply appreciate the two Chuck Liddell/Tito Ortiz fights that happened.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

JOHN CENA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQmEkpbJJvE

shawn did have a comeback match for his school

This is a really, really bad match.

Everyone should watch it for the table spot(s) at the 17 minute mark.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
HBK would have been steam rolled by bigger fish had he decided to politick in WCW. Shawn played on Vince's insecurities and weird inferiority complex. Bischoff would have just sent him home while paying him six figures.

Shawn also got away with so much because everything WWF did from mid 95 onwards was to prep the landscape for Shawn carrying the company. Turning face by having Sid kick his rear end after WM11, getting beaten up by the marines (was this acknowledged on TV? He had the bruises), the concussion angle with Owen Hart the heroic comeback and Rumble win, the special entrance at WM12. Shawn wouldn't have gotten any of this treatment in WCW and he likely knew it.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

getting beaten up by the marines (was this acknowledged on TV? He had the bruises)
I distinctly remember this being repeatedly mentioned on TV and the marines were literally referred to as "a gang of thugs". They even used that particular incident as an excuse for Shawn to vacate the IC title to Dean Douglas.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I distinctly remember this being repeatedly mentioned on TV and the marines were literally referred to as "a gang of thugs". They even used that particular incident as an excuse for Shawn to vacate the IC title to Dean Douglas.

Who instantly jobbed to Razor

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HBK would have been steam rolled by bigger fish had he decided to politick in WCW. Shawn played on Vince's insecurities and weird inferiority complex. Bischoff would have just sent him home while paying him six figures.

Shawn also got away with so much because everything WWF did from mid 95 onwards was to prep the landscape for Shawn carrying the company. Turning face by having Sid kick his rear end after WM11, getting beaten up by the marines (was this acknowledged on TV? He had the bruises), the concussion angle with Owen Hart the heroic comeback and Rumble win, the special entrance at WM12. Shawn wouldn't have gotten any of this treatment in WCW and he likely knew it.

Hall and Nash played Eric like a fiddle due to how their deals were negotiated and Michaels would have asked for and probably gotten the same type of contract. Nash used a proper Hollywood agent, I'm sure he'd have put Shawn in touch with him.

Let's remember that a somewhat unknown Chris Jericho got a 300K/yr deal despite only being a known quantity in Japan. A former WWE champion who can still wrestle very well and is close friends with two of your most well known stars isn't getting treated like Mikey Whipwreck.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 13, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Nash seemed content so long as he got paid and his spot was secure. Shawn likely would not have been so easy to placate. The power struggle there would have been fascinating. Mostly because of Shawn's reaction when he lost because Bischoff lived in Hogan's rear end.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Hedgehog Pie posted:

HERE COMES MY POPS YEAH! MY POPS THE OWNER OF THE WWF MY POPS
Shane McMahon makes Mauro Ranallo sound like he's on horse tranquilizers.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that why Hogan went from tights to pants?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Shawn, especially injured 1999 Shawn, following his friends to "who cares about Somas?" WCW and getting to go back to partying with Hall every night?

Forget the politicking, he probably would have been dead in 6–12 months.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, people tend to forget how badly Shawn was doing during that time because Vince just kept sending him home every time he arrived hosed up during those attempted comebacks between late '98 and early '01. Unlike WCW that just kept putting Hall on television to the point that his wife wrote a letter to management begging them to stop booking him until he got clean. The narrative around Shawn at the time, and for years afterwards, was that he was too injured to return, and not that he was on loving Jupiter.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Speaking of Scott Hall..Did anyone see when Kevin Nash had a meltdown on Youtube comment section? The video was his kid singing a Radiohead song, then youtube being known for such rear end in a top hat-ish posters, went to town on him. It's like Nash got on Web 2.0 for the first time and his brain exploded.
Then Nash I read not too much later got into some domestic bullshit trouble for getting in a physical altercation with the kid? Yea real classy.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, people tend to forget how badly Shawn was doing during that time because Vince just kept sending him home every time he arrived hosed up during those attempted comebacks between late '98 and early '01. Unlike WCW that just kept putting Hall on television to the point that his wife wrote a letter to management begging them to stop booking him until he got clean. The narrative around Shawn at the time, and for years afterwards, was that he was too injured to return, and not that he was on loving Jupiter.

I mean heck, even I didn't know that until very recently.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

Speaking of Scott Hall..Did anyone see when Kevin Nash had a meltdown on Youtube comment section? The video was his kid singing a Radiohead song, then youtube being known for such rear end in a top hat-ish posters, went to town on him. It's like Nash got on Web 2.0 for the first time and his brain exploded.
Then Nash I read not too much later got into some domestic bullshit trouble for getting in a physical altercation with the kid? Yea real classy.

that's uh... all news to me :stare:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

I mean heck, even I didn't know that until very recently.

Yeah, this is actually the first I've heard it I think? Makes sense though, there was talk for a long time that Shawn had some kind of career ending injury, that he'd never be the same, and then one day he just shows back up and puts on one of the best matches of his career.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean I buy it to a degree, during his last match with Austin he looked like every step he took felt like being hit with a car. Not in a selling sense, in a sense of this guy's physically hosed

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

DJExile posted:

that's uh... all news to me :stare:

haha yea, I"m sure you could dig up some reddit dirt on it. Mildly entertaining drama. It's always funny when generation X and up people lose their mind over poo poo postin, especially the bad boy or rasslin Nash.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

haha yea, I"m sure you could dig up some reddit dirt on it. Mildly entertaining drama. It's always funny when generation X and up people lose their mind over poo poo postin, especially the bad boy or rasslin Nash.

you could not pay me nearly enough money to dig through reddit

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DeathChicken posted:

I mean I buy it to a degree, during his last match with Austin he looked like every step he took felt like being hit with a car. Not in a selling sense, in a sense of this guy's physically hosed

Perhaps the physical injury gave them the opportunity not to address the real reason he was off TV.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Perhaps the physical injury gave them the opportunity not to address the real reason he was off TV.

Yeah, his back was certainly legitimately badly hurt (two crushed discs and a herniated disc, IIRC?). There's a bit in Austin's podcast ages ago where he and Shawn talk about WM14, and how Shawn needed "at least three Vikes and two Somas" just to bring the pain down to an 8/10*.

If Michaels had legitimately retired permanently after that, nobody would have said, "hang on, that wasn't bad enough to end your career! Something else is afoot, druggie!" As it turned out, yeah, he healed unbelievably well and was just strung out for the last couple years of his hiatus. But his recovery wasn't really public knowledge until his return match, and so "Shawn showed up to RAW, but he called everyone 'Marty' and for some reason he giggled and drooled when he saw anything green" could easily be smoothed over as "we wanted Shawn for an on-screen role, but for now, he's gone home to continue trying to heal his back."

[* this is why I never put much stock in the "Taker had to threaten HBK to put Austin over at WM14" rumor. Shawn was hurt and he knew it, and he had to know a return from this injury was an "if," not a "when." Even if Taker did menacingly tape his fists in HBK's direction in the locker room — which he may well have done, Taker is certainly that kind of rear end in a top hat — I'm not convinced that either a) HBK would have screwed Austin if he hadn't been threatened, or b) HBK-on-pills would have even realized Taker was threatening him, or, for that matter, in the same room as him.]

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, Taker may have well been that locker room enforcer type, but there was no way Shawn was going to gently caress that up with Austin, doubly so when they've got Mike loving Tyson in there and the last thing I'd want to do to Tyson in 1998 is throw a curveball at him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have no problem believing Shawn was mouthing off before the match and Undertaker acted like a tough guy, Shawn was so hosed up that it was the first time Undertaker could have beaten someone in a fight, he was probably very excited.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I also have no problem believing Michaels would try and screw Austin over despite being barely able to wrestle. It just means he'd have to vacate it afterwards, which was his deal in the 90's anyway.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I have no problem believing Shawn was mouthing off before the match and Undertaker acted like a tough guy, Shawn was so hosed up that it was the first time Undertaker could have beaten someone in a fight, he was probably very excited.

Hmm, this is a good point, Undertaker does like his easy targets...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gavok posted:

I also have no problem believing Michaels would try and screw Austin over despite being barely able to wrestle. It just means he'd have to vacate it afterwards, which was his deal in the 90's anyway.

I mean from the start of his singles push to 98 Shawn only lost titles a handful of times and ended up vacating most of them so you could see him easily trying to do it with Austin or even wanting to keep the title too

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
That just blows my mind. I thought Shawn could barely walk, and just got through the WM match through pills, biting his tongue, and the smoke and mirrors of brawling as opposed to Shawn's usual style.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Red posted:

I thought Shawn could barely walk, and just got through the WM match through pills, biting his tongue, and the smoke and mirrors of brawling as opposed to Shawn's usual style.

I don't think anyone is contradicting this? He was clearly hurt at the time.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why did Rick Rude and Brian Adams walk after Montreal? Why were they in particular so pissed off with the screwjob that they jumped to WCW with Anvil and Bulldog?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Why did Rick Rude and Brian Adams walk after Montreal? Why were they in particular so pissed off with the screwjob that they jumped to WCW with Anvil and Bulldog?

iirc Rick Rude just walked because he wasn't actually under contract and WCW offered him more money, and Crush walked because he got hurt in a match with Kane and was done with the WWF.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Adams I've never heard anything other than "it was a contributing factor to him wanting to jump to WCW when he could."

Rude was friendly enough with Bret that he wasn't just pissed that it happened, he was genuinely pissed that it happened to Bret. Which is why he not only left ASAP, he looked for a way to do so that he thought would hurt the WWF: waiting a week to go, so that he could appear on a taped Raw with his beard and then shave it off for the live Nitro. I think he was one of the people Bischoff called the night of Survivor Series to be like, "hey, was that legit?" and Rude's response was along the lines of "yeah, it was, and by the way, are you hiring?"

EDIT:

Alaois posted:

iirc Rick Rude just walked because he wasn't actually under contract

This is true, too: Rude was on a nightly deal, so he was free to bounce whenever he felt like it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

rujasu posted:

I don't think anyone is contradicting this? He was clearly hurt at the time.

No no, I'm just blown away that Shawn was politicking to go over Austin, especially when he disappeared for 4+ years immediately after. I'd honestly never heard that; sorry if I was unclear.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Red posted:

No no, I'm just blown away that Shawn was politicking to go over Austin, especially when he disappeared for 4+ years immediately after. I'd honestly never heard that; sorry if I was unclear.

I don’t think anyone is saying he definitely was doing it either, just that it’s plausible, despite his injury, given his history of avoiding dropping belts in the ring.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

disaster pastor posted:

Rude was friendly enough with Bret that he wasn't just pissed that it happened, he was genuinely pissed that it happened to Bret. Which is why he not only left ASAP, he looked for a way to do so that he thought would hurt the WWF: waiting a week to go, so that he could appear on a taped Raw with his beard and then shave it off for the live Nitro. I think he was one of the people Bischoff called the night of Survivor Series to be like, "hey, was that legit?" and Rude's response was along the lines of "yeah, it was, and by the way, are you hiring?"

This rules. Rude has always been a favorite of mine and it sucks that he didn't become more of a major name. Knowing that him showing up on both shows was his own shot at WWE due to Montreal makes it even better. It shows a kind of foresight and planning that I don't think a lot of other wrestlers would have.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Ganso Bomb posted:

This rules. Rude has always been a favorite of mine and it sucks that he didn't become more of a major name. Knowing that him showing up on both shows was his own shot at WWE due to Montreal makes it even better. It shows a kind of foresight and planning that I don't think a lot of other wrestlers would have.

Wasnt he also in ECW like a month before or something nuts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

stab posted:

Wasnt he also in ECW like a month before or something nuts?

I think he was on Hardcore TV in basically the same week, but that one's a little less crazy because ECW would run stuff on TV from a show over several weeks. I believe he was still doing some ECW stuff while in WWF, though.