Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

I've been using Chef for managing my personal server (leased dedicated server) which I use for a few simple things:
* Awful Yearbook (PHP, MySQL)
* Minecraft
* Mumble
* Subsonic

With the acquisition of Chef by Progress, I am looking to jump ship and migrate away from Chef.

I'd like to containerize these things but wasn't sure what I should be using to run these on my dedicated server and what that deployment process would look like. I'd like to keep it simple, and driven by git / bitbucket pipelines.

edit: Nomad is looking pretty nice. Deployment from bitbucket via ssh to nomad server running on my bare metal machine seems straightforward. I'd be fine with having the initial bootstrap steps of the remote machine being manual as long as it's simple (configure SSH and install nomad server). Also seems easy to run locally on Windows to make developing and testing easier before pushing to production

I may have spoken too soon...looks like the Nomad/Docker support on Windows is pretty crappy right now. The usual experience of running into an issue doing something very basic and finding a post on their forums describing the same issue, with no activity for awhile. I came across an open ticket for running Linux containers in Docker on Windows: https://github.com/hashicorp/nomad/issues/2633. drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Every salt install/shop I’ve run onto has been a poo poo show of complicated and broken. I’m not sure it’s the tool or if it is just the feature set that appeals to places that have made it dysfunctional.

Last place had an acquisition that had invested in it heavily and added a bunch of automation on top, and it was one of the most complicated pieces of poo poo I’ve ever seen, and I run kubernetes!

We basically gave up and wrote ansible playbooks as an emergency stopgap while we migrated them to K8s.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have an interview on Tuesday that has ELK as good to have, is it feasible to learn enough about it to not sound like an idiot discussing it if I start studying it today? I'm not going to try to sound like an expert, I just want to know enough that I can carry on a conversation.

Failing that, what about Puppet or Octopus, those are also on the "nice to have" list. I only know Terraform as far as deployment tools at this point.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have an interview on Tuesday that has ELK as good to have, is it feasible to learn enough about it to not sound like an idiot discussing it if I start studying it today? I'm not going to try to sound like an expert, I just want to know enough that I can carry on a conversation.

Failing that, what about Puppet or Octopus, those are also on the "nice to have" list. I only know Terraform as far as deployment tools at this point.

Play around with it and pick up as much as you can.
In general, if an interview says something is nice to have, and you don't know it well, just mention that you're not intimately familiar with it and don't try to pass yourself off as an expert and you'll be fine.

Also, the lines can be kind of blurry, but Puppet, Octopus, and Terraform are all designed to solve different problems, don't lump them together as "deployment tools".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

do a tutorial or two, say "you've played around with it once or twice" mention something casually offhand in the interview about not forgetting inter-node encryption, and you'll be fine. with luck they'll think you're being modest.

for puppet, remember that it uses an agent and will enforce config changes to prevent drift, which is different from, eg, ansible.

octopus does CI/CD, if you can talk intelligently about what CI/CD is for and what problems it's trying to solve, who cares about the tooling?

Tooling in general is maybe the least important thing about devops/sre. Focus on the concepts and the problems you're trying to solve. When you're interviewing, speak about those concepts. Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

and if you haven't yet, read the google SRE handbook.

e: also it's a remote interview - have a set of prewritten notes with a few lines about each technology in their stack. If you're good at public speaking, you can even write out full sentences. In one of my recent interviews, I basically quoted one of methenar's slack rants about kubernetes and got an offer.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 18, 2020

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wouldn't deep dive, but you can become pretty conversant just by reading about it. The basics are all pretty simple, especially if you're just talking about the basic Elastic stack (ELK is the old name).

You've got the elasticsearch service, which is a very versatile search platform. You can use it for a bunch of stuff that isn't logs. We use it as a generic search platform for a whole bunch of data across multiple apps.

Then you've got logstash and beats, which are both used to feed data into elasticsearch. Logstash is a tool that will pull data from one source and push it into logstash. It's all manual and everything has to be defined by the user. It's good for custom logs/files or places where you want to transform data before pushing it to elasticsearch or you only want to import specific messages. You have a lot of control over how and where the data gets ingested. I don't have a ton of experience with beats but I know it can support of bunch of different types of data out of the box, which makes some of the configuration easier. It can be used for stuff like system and network metrics in addition to log files. So it handles a lot of things that don't make sense for logstash.

Kibana is the UI on top of it all. It provides a nice interface for building queries. There's also some administrative stuff you can do.

There's other tools like curator, which is for index management. It's been a while since I've had to work with Kibana but I know they've integrated more index management stuff into it. So I don't know if curator still has a place, but it use to be the goto tool for managing indexes.

There's more obviously, but it doesn't take much to be conversant in how the stack works. Especially if they're just using it for logging.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

The Iron Rose posted:

basically quoted one of methanar's slack rants about kubernetes and got an offer.

This is the 2nd time I've been told this, almost verbatim.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Curator isn’t used anymore as ILM (index lifecycle management) had been introduced.

What would be useful to know is how elasticsearch stores it’s data. So read up on indices, primary/replica shards, shard allocation.

Another thing that’s fairly simple to look into and makes it look like you know a bit about is the Elasticsearch node types: master, data, coordinator, machine learning, ingest. Also look at how hot/warm/cold storage works.

Also look into the feaures X-Pack provides. These are mostly enterprise features. All of them require a license but there’s different license tiers and the basic one is free which unlocks a few security features. Other features require more expensive licensing tiers.

You can completely ignore the SIEM, Endpoint Protection and ML modules for your job interview.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a DM.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

LochNessMonster posted:

Curator isn’t used anymore as ILM (index lifecycle management) had been introduced.

That’s actually good to know. Managing indexes and shards was the most painful part of my experience when I had to manage an elastic cluster a few years ago. It’s nice to know they made that part better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Alright, thanks for all the advice. I'll go through tutorials on everything so I can say I played around with it a bit. Would it be a bad thing to say that the reason I haven't done it in my current job is that we have one senior admin dedicated to monitoring and another to Puppet and Jenkins (or whatever the thing we use aside from Puppet is, I can look it up)? I mean those things are true, but it's also because I got bait and switched into being a NOC tech with a SysAdmin title and NOC pay. But I'm not saying that part to a potential employer.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

deedee megadoodoo posted:

That’s actually good to know. Managing indexes and shards was the most painful part of my experience when I had to manage an elastic cluster a few years ago. It’s nice to know they made that part better.

Yeah in the early days I this was the only thing you, together with elasticsearch head.

The management part has become a lot better and with 7.10 it seems they are finally addressing the Watcher shitshow.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Alright, thanks for all the advice. I'll go through tutorials on everything so I can say I played around with it a bit. Would it be a bad thing to say that the reason I haven't done it in my current job is that we have one senior admin dedicated to monitoring and another to Puppet and Jenkins (or whatever the thing we use aside from Puppet is, I can look it up)? I mean those things are true, but it's also because I got bait and switched into being a NOC tech with a SysAdmin title and NOC pay. But I'm not saying that part to a potential employer.

Why would you mention that you haven’t done it in my current job? Much less go into that much detail.

“I’ve only had the opportunity to use [x] a little bit, now here’s all I know about it in a sentence that sounds smart.”

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
Does anyone have recommendations for managing builds/releases for a large number of public SDKs/plugins/integrations?

I've been put in charge of coordinating and managing builds/releases for a growing number of language SDKs and plugins (like a Terraform provider) that we make available to customers. The releases will be done manually for now. Someone will run a script on the main branch to tag/add changelog/bump version/push the tag.

My team wants to centralize everything with an internal tool, though. The version bumping and build steps for each repository would be defined in central, internal repository and each SDK/plugin/integration we offer would have a "hook" script to manage building and version-bumping releases. The tool would read from this internal repo of config files, generate changelogs, and call the hook script against the target repository.

I was thinking it would be easier to either:
a) drop a config file in each repo and have a tool read that
b) let each repo implement its own build/release strategy so it can use tools built for each language (npm scripts, goreleaser, etc)

After looking around at other company-maintained SDKs it seems like having each repo define its own build/release process is most common.

Am I overlooking a best practice here if I think the distributed approach is the way to go?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Why would you mention that you haven’t done it in my current job? Much less go into that much detail.

“I’ve only had the opportunity to use [x] a little bit, now here’s all I know about it in a sentence that sounds smart.”

See, that's why I asked, I'm bad at figuring out how stuff comes across.

As far as Puppet and Octopus, after doing a little bit of reading up would it be accurate to say that Puppet is more suited for saying "I want this piece of equipment/list of equipment to look like this" without a set order that it's done, while Octopus is what you would use when you need to say "Do x, then y, then z, and then if a is true, b, else c" all in order? For example if you're starting up an web-based application you would start the database, then the application server(s), then the web front end services, that would be a case for Octopus, while imaging or patching half a dozen (or a few hundred) application servers would be suited to Puppet?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If you have time, and there's a guy in your company who does Puppet, could you get away with asking for 15 minutes of his time to talk about it? Then you could say "I haven't used Puppet, that's another group, but I think it's a neat idea and I've spent time with those guys because I wanted to learn about it." Nobody has to know that you only did so for the interview, and it makes it clear that you're a guy with initiative and drive to learn.

I'm the Puppet evangelist in my company and we use it as an intermediate step in a server build. We start with a base image, Puppet manages configuration items in the OS or standard infrastructure tools, and then it gets handed to an application team. It's not intrinsically a task runner, though now there's a separate Puppet Tasks tool that does what it says on the tin. With the enterprise version of Puppet, you can get deeper into server provisioning.

I think there's a lot of overlap in this space. Ansible and Puppet have a lot of overlap but there are edge cases where you'd pick one over the other. Puppet (the company) is busy trying to turn Puppet (the tool) into a CI/CD system, but based on what I've done with the free Puppet, if I was using it with Octopus, the idea would be that Puppet configured the server so that it had everything needed for Octopus to deploy to it, and Octopus deployed the application.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, that ansible-puppet comparison is helpful. I might be able to get a chance to talk to the guy for a few minutes, the team is understaffed and he's a semi-BOFH, but it seems like it's less misanthropy and more frustration with how much of a clusterfuck this company is. In trying to find the cause of an outage he found mongoDB credentials stored in plaintext, an external gitlab reference (we do not have a company gitlab), and the outage was caused by an application having hardcoded DNS addresses which caused it to fail when we decommed those servers years later, although it took hours to figure that out because being an MSP, we eschew proper documentation in favor of more billable work.

I'm potentially up for a promotion at this company onto the Linux admin team as well, but it probably wouldn't pay as much as this one and it would be more junior Linux admin rather than full system admin with a hint of DevOps responsibilities.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm using env_file in my docker-compose.yml and in my Dockerfile I have "RUN whatever.sh" and the contents of whatever.sh relies on those environment variables being set, but they do not seem to be set at that point. What am I misunderstanding here?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

fletcher posted:

I'm using env_file in my docker-compose.yml and in my Dockerfile I have "RUN whatever.sh" and the contents of whatever.sh relies on those environment variables being set, but they do not seem to be set at that point. What am I misunderstanding here?

Perhaps you're supposed to set them at build time with --build-arg?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

I think my issue was due to a misunderstanding between RUN and CMD, this helped clear it up: https://goinbigdata.com/docker-run-vs-cmd-vs-entrypoint/

My script belonged in CMD, it didn't make sense to bake what it was doing into a layer.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Alright so for my migration away from Chef I've now containerized all my apps I want to run and now I've got two docker compose files. Since this is just for personal/hobby stuff I was gonna just use docker compose to run it in "production" as well to keep things simple.

Now I've got multiple domains I want to host on the same machine through https 443 so I started looking at Traefik. Not really liking what I'm seeing so far with it though. Instead, I was thinking of just running nginx in another container as my reverse proxy for the other apps/domains I want to run. Since it's two separate docker compose files I need this nginx container to know what ip/hostname to proxy_pass the requests to. Seems I can do this either with static ips for my containers and then just hard code them in the nginx config, or use something like https://github.com/mageddo/dns-proxy-server to be able to reference them by name. Any other suggestions for how to solve this?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

A compose file creates a network for you implicitly, but you can also define that network yourself, and then containers from multiple files can be assigned to that same network. This will allow them to reach each other by their name, as if you had them all in the same file.

This approach will work up until you have multiple hosts, where you're looking at some sort of multi host networking solution like swam, kubernetes, whatever.

You could also just put them all in the same file, too.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

What's the accepted best practice for least privilege IAM roles when it comes to terraform? Am I supposed to laboriously give it Crud permissions on only exactly the API calls it needs on a per-infra basis? It seems like a nightmare.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

IMO: Terraform should run as basically full admin permissions from a user, ideally using the "assume_role" directive of the aws provider block to assume an admin role in a particular AWS account.

I don't think it is a good idea to trigger Terraform runs from automation (as part of build pipelines or whatever).

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
If you must do least privilege, then you can "easily" calculate the required perms in the same way people do it for SELinux: Run Terraform once with full admin privs, then scrape CloudTrail logs with Athena to get a unique list of all the API calls it made, and throw all of them into a custom role that Terraform can use.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

12 rats tied together posted:

I don't think it is a good idea to trigger Terraform runs from automation (as part of build pipelines or whatever).

We do, but in order to actually apply you have to log in to TFE and click a button

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GCP will, after a week or two, let you know what privileges your custom roles have that they're not using, which you can then filter through their role documentation and modify

We started our doing least privilege, but eventually got it security to sign off on God/Root privileges and velocity went up by 900%

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Happiness Commando posted:

What's the accepted best practice for least privilege IAM roles when it comes to terraform? Am I supposed to laboriously give it Crud permissions on only exactly the API calls it needs on a per-infra basis? It seems like a nightmare.
I normally advocate for time-limited IAM roles to apply Terraform plan files which can include ECS Task roles attached to a job temporarily or an instance profile under something like a lambda function or AWS Batch function or whatnot. The role should be assumed by a user for making changes and for terraform plan runs that perform actions like locking DynamoDB rows an IAM role that is read-only and all writes are in a separate document that grants the write permissions explicitly is what I go with. Protecting IAM roles from being assumed by anything other than a specific list of principals is the real security layer that matters when using roles, least privilege is a red herring. If your org is large enough that teams work on separate parts of TF code you could restrict plans and apply more but at that point I think TFE and using Sentinel or another security policy system like OPA is a good idea.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Hadlock posted:

We started our doing least privilege, but eventually got it security to sign off on God/Root privileges and velocity went up by 900%

This is especially true for developer accounts where devs are experimenting a lot. But I think it's still wise to put some guardrails on (via SCP) to restrict dev activities to specific regions and AWS services, to reduce the blast radius if God/Root creds get leaked.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the way we set it up, we had the god project with the god role, and it generated sub projects, with their own project specific God role. So even if you hacked that role in that project your blast radius was limited to that project. And we did a seperate project per environment.

Dev/nonprod environments lived in one subfolder, and prod/pii environments lived in a seperate subfolder that further limited blast radius. All that multi-level project terraform lived in one repo

Then at the project level, those ran terraform that lived in a seperate project-level-specific repo. Developers could modify stuff in the dev environments, but the prod stuff has custom terraform modules with version numbers, and you needed an approved pr to change that stuff

TL;dr developers had God mode in lower environments (at a per project level), and it was all stateless containers so if they hosed it up we would just re roll their GCP project from code, developers could check in terraform code that would be deployed to prod but other than submitting or couldn't footgun the whole company without approval from someone on the ops team

Projects are actually really cheap to setup and provide awesome security firewalls, I recommend splitting up your stuff into as many logical projects as possible. You can link their networks fairly easily

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 13, 2021

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I have a team that needs some significant, io intensive disk scratch space.

https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/storage/volumes/#emptydir
Doing this properly with sizeable tmpfs directories requires k8s 1.20 alpha features which I do not have.

So instead of that, I'm thinking of creating a tmpfs as part of the container's entrypoint.

code:
command: ['/bin/sh']
args: ['-c' 'mkdir -p /tmp/tmpfs; mount -t tmpfs -o rw,size=10G tmpfs /mnt/tmpfs; /launch-go-service.sh']
Somebody tell me why this is a bad idea.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

if that's the actual implementation you should just give them 10gb of ram and have them write whatever they're writing to the heap instead of to disk, otherwise, that seems fine to me

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

if that's the actual implementation you should just give them 10gb of ram and have them write whatever they're writing to the heap instead of to disk, otherwise, that seems fine to me

That would be best but I've heard several insistences that they definitely need proper on-disk posix semantics.

Thanks for the +1

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Methanar posted:

I have a team that needs some significant, io intensive disk scratch space.

https://kubernetes.io/docs/concepts/storage/volumes/#emptydir
Doing this properly with sizeable tmpfs directories requires k8s 1.20 alpha features which I do not have.

So instead of that, I'm thinking of creating a tmpfs as part of the container's entrypoint.

code:
command: ['/bin/sh']
args: ['-c' 'mkdir -p /tmp/tmpfs; mount -t tmpfs -o rw,size=10G tmpfs /mnt/tmpfs; /launch-go-service.sh']
Somebody tell me why this is a bad idea.

Why not just use /dev/shm ?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

PCjr sidecar posted:

Why not just use /dev/shm ?

Looks like that's the same thing. The default size of the shm is 64M inside of a container so I'd need to remount that anyway, probably using the same mechanism of entrypoint overrides.

code:
shm              64M     0   64M   0% /dev/shm

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

A compose file creates a network for you implicitly, but you can also define that network yourself, and then containers from multiple files can be assigned to that same network. This will allow them to reach each other by their name, as if you had them all in the same file.

This approach will work up until you have multiple hosts, where you're looking at some sort of multi host networking solution like swam, kubernetes, whatever.

You could also just put them all in the same file, too.

Thanks for the tips! The pre-existing network was exactly what I needed.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Yeah the way we set it up, we had the god project with the god role, and it generated sub projects, with their own project specific God role. So even if you hacked that role in that project your blast radius was limited to that project. And we did a seperate project per environment.

Dev/nonprod environments lived in one subfolder, and prod/pii environments lived in a seperate subfolder that further limited blast radius. All that multi-level project terraform lived in one repo

Then at the project level, those ran terraform that lived in a seperate project-level-specific repo. Developers could modify stuff in the dev environments, but the prod stuff has custom terraform modules with version numbers, and you needed an approved pr to change that stuff

TL;dr developers had God mode in lower environments (at a per project level), and it was all stateless containers so if they hosed it up we would just re roll their GCP project from code, developers could check in terraform code that would be deployed to prod but other than submitting or couldn't footgun the whole company without approval from someone on the ops team

Projects are actually really cheap to setup and provide awesome security firewalls, I recommend splitting up your stuff into as many logical projects as possible. You can link their networks fairly easily

For GCP I 100% agree, for AWS, despite control towers promises I think this is a nightmare.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

For GCP I 100% agree, for AWS, despite control towers promises I think this is a nightmare.

Wrangling a large number of AWS accounts does kind of suck, but what's the alternative? The only thing worse is dumping all your poo poo into one account and trading the huge pile of accounts for a huge pile of laser focused IAM policies and VPC's.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

There's not really an alternative unless you work in an org that is comfortable allowing your team to be permanent stewards of the entirety of AWS and you always have time to sit there and analyze least-workable-privilege for every 3rd party software suite someone buys that runs in AWS and also needs iam:CreateUser for some reason.

Control Tower is pretty bad but Organizations is fine and it's not especially difficult to write some automation for account turn-on procedures: creation of IAM roles and trusts, standard billing alerts, etc.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I've been looking into Disposable Cloud Environments as one possible solution or partial solution for some of these issues for AWS accounts at least. Time and/or budget limited for interactive and CI/CD use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

There's not really an alternative unless you work in an org that is comfortable allowing your team to be permanent stewards of the entirety of AWS and you always have time to sit there and analyze least-workable-privilege for every 3rd party software suite someone buys that runs in AWS and also needs iam:CreateUser for some reason.

Control Tower is pretty bad but Organizations is fine and it's not especially difficult to write some automation for account turn-on procedures: creation of IAM roles and trusts, standard billing alerts, etc.

So I’m fine with breaking stuff up into tiers. Or segmentation

I’m dealing with another part of the infra org that wants microaccounts for everything and it’s driving me mad.

My cloudfront distros now sit in another account from my runtimes, and are both sides are segregated by tiers. Or wants ECR to live in its own account. So in any one incident I might have to juggle 3-5 accounts.