Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Am I leaving any performance on the table by using a 650w RMX PSU with a 3080 rather a bigger PSU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Vargatron posted:

Is it reasonable to believe that prices are going to go down in a few months? Seems like there's a serious supply shortage going on and most of the parts I'm looking at in terms of cpu/mobo are on backlog.

I think it's more likely that prices will keep trending up. COVID is still wrecking supply chains, Trump left a mess of a trade war, and after almost four months the drops are still gone as fast as launch day. :shrug:

Most people seem more optimistic, so take this post with some salt.

Ragingsheep posted:

Am I leaving any performance on the table by using a 650w RMX PSU with a 3080 rather a bigger PSU?

I believe 750W is recommended, but it could be fine depending on your other components.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ripper Swarm posted:

Hi PC parts thread, first time stopping by for a long while! About 5 years ago, I ended up piecing together a 3570/970 system on the thread's advice which lasted absolutely wonderfully, real solid system.
However, nothing lasts forever and the graphics card finally died about a month ago. It's replacement time!

What country are you in? New Zealand
What are you using the system for? Gaming, targeting 1440p Ultra
What's your budget? About NZD3k

I read back a whole bunch of pages and started putting together a build...and then stopped when I ran across this pre-built:

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/shop/ready-to-ship/pulse-gaming-pc

The CPU/GFX are definitely what I'm after, the price is acceptable, it's in stock and the vendor has a solid reputation. The thread's opinion on pre-builts seems to have softened a lot in the past 5 years, am I missing something glaringly bad with this one? I'm a little unsure about the water cooling as that's new to me, but from what I understand the hard part is setup and well, pre-built solves that :v:

I don’t know the NZ market in terms of pricing, but that seems high.

$2150USD for a 3070/3700x build seems very high. I’m not gonna build the system out, but at a REAL rough estimate those parts would be like $1500USD give or take.

Could be a bad deal, could be just parts in NZ are expensive. The actual parts are solid. And that’s a closed loop water cooler. It’s basically hooks up like an air cooler with a tube. It’s easy and safe.

Ragingsheep posted:

Depends. It’s likely fine if you don’t have a ton of poo poo in the system or like a 5950x.

You’re not leaving performance if it’s not enough. You’re system is going to shut down if it tries to draw too much.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Ragingsheep posted:

FWIW I'm running a 3700X and RTX 3080 FE on a 650 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU (EVGA SuperNova 650 GM) with no issues or impact to performance. I imagine the RMx will be fine too.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
That just means my 3080 is below average then :(

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

FWIW I'm running a 3700X and RTX 3080 FE on a 650 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU (EVGA SuperNova 650 GM) with no issues or impact to performance. I imagine the RMx will be fine too.

Yeah, I'm also on a 3700X.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

That just means my 3080 is below average then :(

Yeah, I'm also on a 3700X.

Not necessarily. Are you using a single split PSU cable? If not, there may be other issues at play. You should check out Nvidia's stats monitor and see where you may be bottlenecking

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

could be just parts in NZ are expensive.

Pretty sure this is it, I'm looking at monitors too and an LG 27GL850-B is USD 450 on Amazon and USD 640 at a retailer here.

It's a small country at the ends of the earth, you get used to it :shepspends:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

PirateBob posted:

Hm yeah I'm still going to be a little sceptic about the longevity of components that you can literally fry an egg on :thunk:

I built my first new PC in 2020 in about 10 years - and my first ever AMD CPU, and the high temps gave me the heebie jeebies too. But honestly, AMD CPUs are designed to run hot. I don't know if better cooling will mean it jumps up to the boost clock more, (someone else in this thread probably does), but yes, it'll run just fine hot. To be honest, the only reason I swapped out for an aftermarket cooler is that the stock Wraith Stealth cooler was far and away the loudest component in my PC. Even with the fan curves messed around with in the bios, it was incredibly loud. Putting in an aftermarket cooler has made it much much quieter - and there's capacity to reduce the ambient noise more if I decide to swap in the fan that came with the cooler for a noctua.

I also feel like those closed flat stock coolers with the fans on top are going to gather more dust over time (especially in a household with pets/smokers), and are way harder to blast with compressed air, so one of those big chunky radiators with the heatpipes that jut out horizontally from the motherboard just seems like it has better airflow, won't catch as much dust, and it seems like it'll be way easier to clean if it does somehow get dusty.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 12, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
[ASK ME] about heatsinkless CPUs... :ssj:

The Grumbles posted:

I also feel like those closed flat stock coolers with the fans on top are going to gather more dust over time (especially in a household with pets/smokers), and are way harder to blast with compressed air, so one of those big chunky radiators with the heatpipes that jut out horizontally from the motherboard just seems like it has better airflow, won't catch as much dust, and it seems like it'll be way easier to clean if it does somehow get dusty.

I think the modern thinking is you want positive pressure in the case to force dust out, keeping most of the components free. Most modern cases also have "dust" filters.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

I built my first new PC in 2020 in about 10 years - and my first ever AMD CPU, and the high temps gave me the heebie jeebies too. But honestly, AMD CPUs are designed to run hot. I don't know if better cooling will mean it jumps up to the boost clock more, (someone else in this thread probably does), but yes, it'll run just fine hot. To be honest, the only reason I swapped out for an aftermarket cooler is that the stock Wraith Stealth cooler was far and away the loudest component in my PC. Even with the fan curves messed around with in the bios, it was incredibly loud. Putting in an aftermarket cooler has made it much much quieter - and there's capacity to reduce the ambient noise more if I decide to swap in the fan that came with the cooler for a noctua.

Oh. Good thing I ordered a cooler for my 5600x. Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B. Hoping it's a silent one. :pray:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Oh. Good thing I ordered a cooler for my 5600x. Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B. Hoping it's a silent one. :pray:

The scythes tend to focus on quiet rather than crazy cooling, so you’ll likely get that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

PirateBob posted:

The fans they use on their coolers top out at 1200rpm so as Pilfered says, they're quiet. Theyre also excellent coolers, I've barely seen my 5600x top 70c under load with the Fuma 2 in an ITX case.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm starting a new project to try and build a PC that is good at emulation (at least up to PS2/Xbox) but also relatively small. Does anyone have any recommendations at least on cases? If I can find a more-than-decent case, I can kinda just make the other stuff fall into place. But the more the merrier, so if y'all have more recommendations, they'd be equally as appreciated.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm starting a new project to try and build a PC that is good at emulation (at least up to PS2/Xbox) but also relatively small. Does anyone have any recommendations at least on cases? If I can find a more-than-decent case, I can kinda just make the other stuff fall into place. But the more the merrier, so if y'all have more recommendations, they'd be equally as appreciated.

SSF thread might be a bit better for this.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

SSF thread might be a bit better for this.

Ah, makes sense. I'll give that a look. Thanks!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Is there any reason to think the 3600 will stop being available within the next 2-3 months?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Up to, or including? XBox emulation is barely a thing and PS2 emulation is both substantially more demanding and less polished than anything from the generations prior.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My group of my friends are chipping in to surprise another friend with a PC since he hasn't been able to play with us a long time. He's also been clobbered this past year with unfortunate events.

We're not sure how much we'll have since we were originally targeting a friend selling this laptop for $450 https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06198277 but now we're already at $400 just from 3 of us so might be able to build one.

If we had maybe $800, what should we shoot for? Would need monitor and peripherals.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I feel like I hosed up somewhere in the buying process, since I was focusing on what I could get my hands on as opposed to my ideal build, and I can’t tell where and it’s bugging the hell out of me. I’ve got everything on this list except for the cooler. I’ve also got an old seagate HDD and an external SSD that I’m using for storage.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.09 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB DUAL OC Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA G5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $78.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-12 20:44 EST-0500

Could someone please yell at me if I’m missing something glaring?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DreamingofRoses posted:

An internal NVMe drive?

Also that power supply is ridiculous overkill for your build.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Some Goon posted:

Up to, or including? XBox emulation is barely a thing and PS2 emulation is both substantially more demanding and less polished than anything from the generations prior.

Honestly, I hadn’t even figured this. It kinda becomes a lost cause to build a PC just to get, at most, solid GameCube and Wii emulation and nothing great on the PS2 and Xbox front.

I’ll do some digging, but probably posting more over in the Retro Gaming thread.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Butterfly Valley posted:

An internal NVMe drive?

Also that power supply is ridiculous overkill for your build.

I bought it during my initial attempt to start assembling a PC before things went really tits up. It’s the one thing I can kind-of future proof since it has a 10 year warranty on it and if I can ever get to a point where I can afford the 4K stuff in the future it’ll help.

Is a NVMe drive necessary or just a good idea?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

Is a NVMe drive necessary or just a good idea?

Where were you planning on installing your OS? Having it on the HDD would be lol in 2021 and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to run windows off external storage.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I hope this is the right place to go for new build tech support. I haven't built a computer far at least 5 years and I just finished the below rig, but with a 1060 strix from forum friend Pilfered Polebearer. As far as I can tell everything is hooked up correctly; when I turn the power on the graphics card lights up, the case lights up, and both the CPU and case fans start spinning. However, there is no way to get anything to display on my monitor. I tried the gpu HDMIs as well as the case HDMIs and the display is totally blank "no input detected." Is there any efficient way to troubleshoot what might be the issue?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($177.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler ($31.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $491.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-08 08:34 EST-0500

Here's a mediocre picture of what I've currently got. Hopefully it sheds some light on something completely incorrect that I may have done.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’d try one of the motherboard graphics port first. Then I’d make sure the card is well seated and the power is connected on both ends and in the right port (PCIe, GPU, whatever) if you’ve got a modular PSU.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

I feel like I hosed up somewhere in the buying process, since I was focusing on what I could get my hands on as opposed to my ideal build, and I can’t tell where and it’s bugging the hell out of me. I’ve got everything on this list except for the cooler. I’ve also got an old seagate HDD and an external SSD that I’m using for storage.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.09 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB DUAL OC Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA G5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $78.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-12 20:44 EST-0500

Cooler isn’t my first choice at that price, but it’s also fine. I’d probably go for a Fuma 2 if you can find one if you want dead quiet. A Noctua if you want more cooling power for more noise under load.

You should get an NVME. Running windows (or frankly anything) off a 3.5” or an external SSD is a no. You can get a 500gb NVME for probably like $60.

PSU is insane overkill but you know that.

Otherwise it seems fine. 3600 is solid, as is the ASUS 3070.

Hutzpah posted:

I hope this is the right place to go for new build tech support. I haven't built a computer far at least 5 years and I just finished the below rig, but with a 1060 strix from forum friend Pilfered Polebearer. As far as I can tell everything is hooked up correctly; when I turn the power on the graphics card lights up, the case lights up, and both the CPU and case fans start spinning. However, there is no way to get anything to display on my monitor. I tried the gpu HDMIs as well as the case HDMIs and the display is totally blank "no input detected." Is there any efficient way to troubleshoot what might be the issue?

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.98 @ Amazon)

Here's a mediocre picture of what I've currently got. Hopefully it sheds some light on something completely incorrect that I may have done.

Sorry it’s not working dude. Hopefully we can help.

Unless UPS hosed up the card in the short like 80 mile trip I know it works as I pulled it when I got my 3080. So I don’t think it’s that.

I remember encountering a similar problem when I first built mine with that card too. Here’s what I’d try.

Pull out the GPU. Connect the monitor to the motherboard directly and see if you can get into BIOS. I’m seeing lots of errors here for this board due to the default of “auto” for video out detection being lovely.

If you’re still not getting any video, look up the BIOS key for your board (probably f2) and try combos of mashing/holding the key to see if you can get anywhere.

Make sure the monitor is on.

Outside of that, I’d be looking for diagnostic lights and seeing what’s lit.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Hutzpah posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Is the CPU fan on tight enough? When I installed my new CPU cooler, I couldn't get anything to display. After scratching my head for weeks, I got someone to take a look at it and it turned out my cooler was too loose. You want to wind that thing down really tight, or it won't boot. Like, it should feel like you're at risk of breaking something. But you're not!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

KingKapalone posted:

My group of my friends are chipping in to surprise another friend with a PC since he hasn't been able to play with us a long time. He's also been clobbered this past year with unfortunate events.

We're not sure how much we'll have since we were originally targeting a friend selling this laptop for $450 https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06198277 but now we're already at $400 just from 3 of us so might be able to build one.

If we had maybe $800, what should we shoot for? Would need monitor and peripherals.

What do you play? When used parts come into play and on a tight budget, IMO it becomes a matrix of options that ranges from

-get a used office machine, jam a video card in it
-buy a used system or used parts from places/SA mart
-all the way to build a budget system & add on to it.

Building NEW is going to be super super tight right now on any budget. But start with what you expect to play and I can work best with that. If you are at all interested in physical sales you can PM me and i'm happy to help browse your local Craigslist/Facebook. Also if you have a microcenter that's key, plenty of intel options for budget.

The issue on building is the video card. There really isn't a new-in-box video card you can buy right now that's under $400 unless you "e-camp out" for a 1650 super, an 18 month old card selling above its original launch price.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 13, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

The scythes tend to focus on quiet rather than crazy cooling, so you’ll likely get that.

Butterfly Valley posted:

The fans they use on their coolers top out at 1200rpm so as Pilfered says, they're quiet. Theyre also excellent coolers, I've barely seen my 5600x top 70c under load with the Fuma 2 in an ITX case.
Great :)

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I just finished a pretty successful rebuild of my PC. No problems. Yay!

Now, I want to smooth some rough edges so to speak. My cable management is okay, but due to my decision to include an optical drive and its location relative to my extra SSD's, the power supply cables (which each have three SATA power connectors) won't reach more than one device. I'm going to rearrange so I'll only need two instead of three of these cables, but I'm still going to have all those messy extra ends taking up space and looking drat inelegant. Are there power supply cables that only have one or two connectors that I can buy? I'm worried about getting the wrong cables and creating a disaster, so I've only looked at my PSU manufacturer's (EVGA) website, and they only seem to offer full sets that are basically the same as the ones that came with the PSU originally.

Professor Spatula
Apr 16, 2007
I'm getting impatient with this CPU shortage. I have everything else ready to go (except a mobo, but that's not a scarcity issue). I know the overwhelming sentiment is amd>intel, but if my main goal is 4k gaming at good fps, does the difference really matter? I have a 5900x on "pre-order" at BLT, but the ETA just got kicked another two weeks, so I'm not super optimistic. Discord alerts are super rare and are gone within 30 seconds. It seems like the intel chips are more readily available, and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot, but is the trade-off in specs going to really impact what I want out of it?

My current build is nearly 10 years old with a 670 gpu, so I really want to get this build going.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Professor Spatula posted:

if my main goal is 4k gaming at good fps, does the difference really matter? I have a 5900x on "pre-order" at BLT

You don't need a 5900x if your aim is just 4k gaming, any Zen 3 would be great. Widening your scope might help in your hunt.

Zen 3 chips are the best value as you know, but for me it's also the fact that they support PCIe 4 and are generally much more efficient that also make them worthwhile to wait for.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 13, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I don’t know the NZ market in terms of pricing, but that seems high.

$2150USD for a 3070/3700x build seems very high. I’m not gonna build the system out, but at a REAL rough estimate those parts would be like $1500USD give or take.

Bear in mind that most non-America countries have sales tax baked into the prices, which contributes some of the difference. Here in the UK it's 20%, NZ appears to have it at 15%.

Professor Spatula
Apr 16, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

You don't need a 5900x if your aim is just 4k gaming, any Zen 3 would be great. Widening your scope might help in your hunt.

Zen 3 chips are the best value as you know, but for me it's also the fact that they support PCIe 4 and are generally much more efficient that also make them worthwhile to wait for.

Thanks, I actually just checked the 5800x drop list and one had just posted in the last 5 minutes. Hopefully this will be the final obstacle to overcome (and not flashing the BIOS).

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

bus hustler posted:

What do you play? When used parts come into play and on a tight budget, IMO it becomes a matrix of options that ranges from

-get a used office machine, jam a video card in it
-buy a used system or used parts from places/SA mart
-all the way to build a budget system & add on to it.

Building NEW is going to be super super tight right now on any budget. But start with what you expect to play and I can work best with that. If you are at all interested in physical sales you can PM me and i'm happy to help browse your local Craigslist/Facebook. Also if you have a microcenter that's key, plenty of intel options for budget.

The issue on building is the video card. There really isn't a new-in-box video card you can buy right now that's under $400 unless you "e-camp out" for a 1650 super, an 18 month old card selling above its original launch price.

Lately we've been playing Sea of Thieves, Overwatch, Don't Starve Together, Left 4 Dead 2, Warzone, Risk of Rain 2, Deep Rock Galactic, Among Us, but games come and go all the time. Groups splinter off and then regroup or mix and match. Not sure what he would personally be interested in regarding singleplayer. He has a PS4/Switch and has played TLOU2, FF7R, GoT, and Hades recently.

Definitely doesn't need to be new. We're in Minneapolis. One friend has a 2080 that he might be willing to use as his donation, but the rest of what we could get might bottleneck it. It also doesn't need to be that powerful really. That would be great if you spotted some things. That laptop still might be a good option and any extra cash we have goes towards peripherals or maybe even a monitor.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

KingKapalone posted:

Lately we've been playing Sea of Thieves, Overwatch, Don't Starve Together, Left 4 Dead 2, Warzone, Risk of Rain 2, Deep Rock Galactic, Among Us, but games come and go all the time. Groups splinter off and then regroup or mix and match. Not sure what he would personally be interested in regarding singleplayer. He has a PS4/Switch and has played TLOU2, FF7R, GoT, and Hades recently.

Definitely doesn't need to be new. We're in Minneapolis. One friend has a 2080 that he might be willing to use as his donation, but the rest of what we could get might bottleneck it. It also doesn't need to be that powerful really. That would be great if you spotted some things. That laptop still might be a good option and any extra cash we have goes towards peripherals or maybe even a monitor.

So you have $400 now and someone may donate a GPU?

If this is still available I'd see if you can get https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/minneapolis-cyberpowerpc-gamer-master/7257354670.html for under $500 and then take the guy's 2080 and buy a replacement PSU for $110 and be done with it.

As is it's not awful and the video card in it probably could be sold for the new power supply close to straight up.

Another option is to get something like this: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/sys/d/forest-lake-dell-optiplex-7040-sff-i5/7257772237.html and get a SFF card like a 1050ti or a 1650 if you can find one.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

bus hustler posted:

So you have $400 now and someone may donate a GPU?

If this is still available I'd see if you can get https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/minneapolis-cyberpowerpc-gamer-master/7257354670.html for under $500 and then take the guy's 2080 and buy a replacement PSU for $110 and be done with it.

As is it's not awful and the video card in it probably could be sold for the new power supply close to straight up.

Another option is to get something like this: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/sys/d/forest-lake-dell-optiplex-7040-sff-i5/7257772237.html and get a SFF card like a 1050ti or a 1650 if you can find one.

We're at almost $1000 now if the guy with the GPU gives cash instead of the card.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

KingKapalone posted:

We're at almost $1000 now if the guy with the GPU gives cash instead of the card.

I think he should give the card you cant replace it for under $400

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Donating a 2080 is essentially a $600++ market value donation right now and a really great card to build around for those games + more.

PS: You and your friends are awesome for doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
The guy with the 2080 thought it was only worth $300. He's not the smartest. I looked and see it's at least $500. Probably going to donate a portion of potential proceeds instead. drat GPU market though. Thought I was done with this poo poo once I got a 3080. Already sold by 1070 back in October.