Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lego just really struggles with spherical shapes, which is to some degree understandable, but I think they have enough parts now that they can do better than what they have in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's probably a contingent of lego greybeards lurking around in the design center waving their cane at the millennials, crabbing that back in their day they did just fine building blocky curves.

Or maybe they're Nathan Sawaya fans.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

They released a UCS R2D2 a few years ago right? Or was that just a larger R2D2?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

obi_ant posted:

They released a UCS R2D2 a few years ago right? Or was that just a larger R2D2?

Lego R2D2 10225 was $180 and came with a UCS style sticker + minifig. Released: 2012

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

The_Doctor posted:

I lust noticed this set has come out in the Creator 3-in-1. It’s really cheap and comes with this great Spyrion/Roboforce-esque minifig.

I noticed that too and I'll be picking up a couple just for that, I'm a sucker for anything vintage or vintage-inspired. And yes, that head is entirely intentional

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/ninjago-city-gardens-71741

Not sure what happened but the Ninjago Gardens was briefly live for me. I put my order in, but now it seems to have gone back to "coming soon". Maybe worth checking out yourselves. This was in the UK.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Just called my local store and they’ll be doing in person pickup for NC Gardens (call in advance). They also still have the vintage car GWP in stock, and will be getting more Gardens on Friday. Rather than try to get it tonight online w/o the car I’ll try my luck tomorrow morning, even if I don’t get it I’ll have another chance the next day. It’s worth it just for a crack at the car- I don’t feel like paying out of pocket for it.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I feel as excited for this set as the Star Wars people do every time a new set is announced :dance:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Grand Fromage posted:

Ya Romans used both IIII and IV. And I think the section four gate at arenas was labeled IIII not IV since it's easier to read at a distance, same reason some clocks use it.

Yeah and something about subtractive notation being a later development.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That sucks that "Tattoine homestead" sounds like one of the more interesting SW GWPs to me but it's for a set I have little interest in.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

That sucks that "Tattoine homestead" sounds like one of the more interesting SW GWPs to me but it's for a set I have little interest in.

Will it come with charred Owen and Beru? That would seal the deal for me.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just put in an order for the bonsai tree. That will be a nice one to have in my office.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cashed in my VIP points. Ready to go.

Started refreshing around 8:50.

F5, F5, F5.

9:07. F5. F5.

Awesome.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Waltzing Along posted:

Cashed in my VIP points. Ready to go.

Started refreshing around 8:50.

F5, F5, F5.

9:07. F5. F5.

Awesome.

:same:

I emptied my pile of shame with 20 minutes to spare

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are people posting on reddit that it won't go for 12 hours. 9am est. Not sure where they get that but I do know I am going to be very upset if it sells out and I have VIP points going to waste.

That will be a fun phone call.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Supposedly it's been up for a few hours if you're in Europe. No luck in Australia, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kazzah posted:

Supposedly it's been up for a few hours if you're in Europe. No luck in Australia, though.

Yeah, and it was one person saying 9am. But when I think about it, I'm sure I've seen early access stuff sold at 12am est.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, and it was one person saying 9am. But when I think about it, I'm sure I've seen early access stuff sold at 12am est.

LIVE RIGHT NOW 3:58 AM EST!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Prophet of Nixon posted:

LIVE RIGHT NOW 3:58 AM EST!

Yep, just finished my order. Now I can sleep.

Also, the new modular is pretty great. 5 bags in and it's outstanding. Blows away last years drek and definitely better than the garage. May even top the Diner.

The stairs on the first floor were really great. And the sign over the front door was neat, too.

Really really great so far.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Ninjago Gardens is already back ordered in Europe.

Is it just me or is the Lego website recently pretty bad with stock? Everyting seems to out of stock or backordered? Does it mean that the 18+ label is really working and all the sets are being bought for resale or what is even going on here?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ivantod posted:

Is it just me or is the Lego website recently pretty bad with stock? Everyting seems to out of stock or backordered? Does it mean that the 18+ label is really working and all the sets are being bought for resale or what is even going on here?

Again, global pandemic.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The_Doctor posted:

Again, global pandemic.

Yeah, also who cares? Get it a couple weeks later, no biggie.

Just finished the UCS A-Wing. Pretty awesome, kinda drives home how much the ship is just 2 big engines and a cockpit in the middle. It did have a missing piece, one of the white+grey slopes was missing and I got a technic beam in its place.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep, just finished my order. Now I can sleep.

Also, the new modular is pretty great. 5 bags in and it's outstanding. Blows away last years drek and definitely better than the garage. May even top the Diner.

The stairs on the first floor were really great. And the sign over the front door was neat, too.

Really really great so far.

Just got my order put in. Glad I didn't stay up for it, I'm light enough on sleep as-is!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

ivantod posted:

I'm frankly amazed they have kept production going at all amidst a pandemic than anything. I ordered the Lantern festival on 01 Jan, initially it was sold out and said 60 days estimate. It got shipped today (2 weeks later). There's also a lot of issues at the UK border right now impacting everything.

My order for Gardens went through yesterday, so will be interesting to see how long it takes relative to the first order now that DHL has had two weeks to adjust to Brexit.

I had them both shipped to my brother's house anyway because we are trying to move, so I won't get them until the lockdown is eased :D

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

mitochondritom posted:

I'm frankly amazed they have kept production going at all amidst a pandemic than anything. I ordered the Lantern festival on 01 Jan, initially it was sold out and said 60 days estimate. It got shipped today (2 weeks later). There's also a lot of issues at the UK border right now impacting everything.

For some reason, Lantern Festival seems to be out of stock in most countries--not backordered, literally "temporarily out of stock" without an order button. Not sure if that means it's done and not coming back or if they will make more. I know it says "temporary" but Lego website is not always good at managing these statuses correctly so... In any case, there's still plenty to be had on Bricklink at normal (retail) price more or less, so even if it is gone for good, you can still easily get it without paying huge markup.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Surprisingly Gardens is In-Stock still here in Canada. (I almost wish it wasn't, I'm so tempted to order...)

ivantod posted:

For some reason, Lantern Festival seems to be out of stock in most countries--not backordered, literally "temporarily out of stock" without an order button. Not sure if that means it's done and not coming back or if they will make more. I know it says "temporary" but Lego website is not always good at managing these statuses correctly so... In any case, there's still plenty to be had on Bricklink at normal (retail) price more or less, so even if it is gone for good, you can still easily get it without paying huge markup.
That's really normal. I've seen it with countless sets over the last year. Stuff typically goes from "in stock" to "backorder, ships by <date>" to "backorder ships in 60 days" to "temporarily out of stock." It just means they dont want to take more backorders because they can't give a guarantee it will ship in X days.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

ivantod posted:

The Lego website is amazingly janky for the worlds biggest toy company. Whenever I put an order in it won't actually appear until ~ 24 h post button. Obviously the money is debited from my account immediately though. So I end up in a limbo of wondering if I should call customer services or not. It's happened enough times now that it is no longer a big stress and more just mildly irritating. I know of no other website where your order confirmation email takes 12 + hours to arrive.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, their website is awful, especially on mobile. Especially when you click a link and it asks if you want to accept cookies or go to the play area and it’s super unclear on how to just get to the link you want to view.

mitochondritom posted:

Most of their production is completely automated, there are very few humans involved in the process. Even in the 1999 Legos Ideas book, they take special care to note that the model of their factory is for perspective, and that there’s normally very few if any people on the production line.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A company that large still needs a poo poo ton of people doing stuff and suppliers supplying stuff even if the actual brick making machine is 100% automated.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Like with all the issues, I’ve been waiting to order the Ecto-1. It’s on backorder now. I’d assume at some point it won’t be that hard to get right, it should be out for awhile? Like if I waited for say double points or a better GWP. Or are the big sets pretty much pounce on them while you can because who knows what the future holds?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Love it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DrChud posted:

Like with all the issues, I’ve been waiting to order the Ecto-1. It’s on backorder now. I’d assume at some point it won’t be that hard to get right, it should be out for awhile? Like if I waited for say double points or a better GWP. Or are the big sets pretty much pounce on them while you can because who knows what the future holds?

If you want it you'll get it, it will be in production for a long while yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It will at least stick around until the movie actually manages to get released.

I mean, I don't actually know that with any certainty but Lego would be dumb to retire it before then.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's a safe bet that any larger set is going to be in production for at least 1-2 years?

Waiting for 2xVIP Is going to be a bit of a crapshoot with how supply has been, and those things might just not line up (stock was kinda shaky last 2xVIP) but I also wouldn't say you need to pounce at the first opportunity, unless it's more of a feeling of "I want to build it in the near future."

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I'm unable to afford or justify Gardens right now despite how badly I wanted it but I have started watching reviews as they pop up and uh - holy loving poo poo. This is the true followup to Ninjago City that it deserved. From what I've seen, it's not perfect by any means, and in some ways it falls a little short of the original still (like the minifig selection), but the architecture and fine detailing has been tuned to absurd levels. There's some jaw-dropping stuff in there, and so many little quirky uses of pieces that I am just overjoyed. Not gonna mention anything specific because I know a lot of you guys have ordered it and are waiting to build it yourself but hot drat. Also, just having the 'basic' lower buildings not be square is such a tremendous step on its own. I don't think this will surpass the original necessarily, but the minutiae is where Gardens seems to shine, and it really has a lot to offer. Can't wait to get one next to my City.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Gardens trip report. 5 people lined up outside the store. They didn't even take them out of the shipping boxes since they didn't have bags big enough to fit the box in. Fucker is HEAVY.

Typical unlabeled white box inside the the big box. 25 bags numbers 12-26 inside the white box, 18 bags numbers 1-11 inside the while box with three instruction manuals, two baseplates, and another bag of "large" parts like the rollercoaster track. 44 bags total. Two sticker sheets.

Should make for a fun weekend and in to next week. With the inauguration, DC is shut down and we don't have a lot of work since that's where the lion's share of our users are.

Edit: Teal brick separator!

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 14, 2021

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
First in Line bitches!!!

What does my sad rear end win?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Free copy of the plague!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Free copy of the plague!

the only GWP that wont run out of stock any time soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

Free copy of the plague!

Lord I hope not. I’m keeping my distance and masked up.