Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

The best option to get good is to play a bad, unpopular champion constantly. No one knows what the hell Asol does or how to counter it, so as long as you do, you're already better than most people.

or just play a champ that most people play bad

I get people completely shocked at rumble's damage output when you actually properly combo pretty often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hellioning posted:

The best option to get good is to play a bad, unpopular champion constantly. No one knows what the hell Asol does or how to counter it, so as long as you do, you're already better than most people.

this doesnt work on me, i dont know how anything is supposed to work and now you're just playing someone who sucks

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Can confirm; I feel like I'm an above-average Twitch player and it just doesn't matter because Twitch sucks.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

here's what you do

you learn to play rammus

and if you see anyone on the enemy team pick yone, yasuo, master yi or samira, (which you will) you pick rammus

which makes you win

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if you aren't obsessed over the idea of winning you can extract a lot more fun over the game without completely discarding the idea of learning and getting better. play fart man and fart on the macro game.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

SirSamVimes posted:

IMO it's better to play a champion that clicks with you and is high tier than a champion who you don't click with and is top tier. Like I won far more consistently with Miss Fortune than with Vayne even when they were tier 2 and tier 1 respectively.

You'll still probably want to avoid bottom tier champions if you're trying to climb though.

Yeah I've found this to be very true for most of last year I had a great time with Mundo top lane despite him mostly being lower/mid tier all year. Then with the big item update he dropped of the side of a cliff and its loving awful now. Mundo revamp can't come soon enough.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
just spam malzahar you'll have like a 75% winrate and children will call you brain dead for destroying their Zed or Yasuo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bleck posted:

Oh! Oooh! Is it because she is really good!

It's mostly because her kit is extremely strong at one of toplane's most important elements, which is the ability to almost always take efficient burst trades. Historically good toplaners like Renekton and Jayce have this: Renekton has the classic E1 -> W -> Q -> E2 combo, while Jayce's Q -> W -> R -> Q -> E finishes with a knockback and slow that prevents most melee champs from trading back on to him. Her passive, the slow/heal from W, and Q's MS boost means that Camille can pretty effortlessly get onto someone and deal damage while remaining mobile enough for them to be unable to respond appropriately. If she does take damage, a good amount of it will be absorbed by her shield or healed back by W, and E means that she can avoid getting caught in extended trades with champions she'll lose to early like Darius.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And falls into the important top lane category of champions that are too mobile to be worth ganking unless they can be baited into wasting their escape cooldown aggressively.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 13, 2021

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
That's also why the champions she does struggle into are either champs that can force extended trades consistently (darius, renek, poppy) or just flat-out outduel her (fiora, kinda irelia but i think thats basically a skill matchup). She's a champ that completely lives and dies on being able to trade on her own terms and most toplaners don't have the tools to not let her do that

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Me: "This is the year. I've been playing a ton prior to this, on a good run, form is great, I can FINALLY for ONE SEASON start my placements above .500 and get my season on a positive note of high confdience."

Sunday: Start 4-1, feeling really solid, feel like I have good chance of going .500
Wednesday: End 4-6, completely crestfallen

This was over like 3 days and I played... mostly okay? We absolutely threw the last game and it was infuriating.

well, maybe this year I'll be smart and take a 3-4 week break and slowly build my way back into high form before I dig myself 7-8 games underwater and then rage uninstall League

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 14, 2021

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well the beginning of a season placements are super lovely as far as I’m concerned. Just grind it out till you normalize some since it’s a crapshoot who you actually get teamed up with.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if youg et "completely crestfallen" over losing two rounds of a computer video game you need to uninstall that poo poo and waste your free time on movies or sports instead

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
actually wait that's the kind of moron mindset that leads to football riots when the home team loses
dont get into sports just start hiking or bicycling or some poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

4-6? Buddy I went 2-8 and my two wins were disconnects. Im bad, but that is worse than I expected given my win loss outside the placement so now Im grinding out to prove that was a fluke

I did relearn a lot about just letting teammates die

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mostly learnt that you do not buy Shieldbow on anyone who isn't Samira.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Which support items are good now? I have no clue they all seem kinda bleh.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

solo queue support voice

"ludens echo seems pretty good"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its not helping Im doing most of my play in Wild Rift and so when I switch between them Im like "yo, where did my items go???"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Invalid Validation posted:

the good support item options are "just buy a mythic from another role"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Depends on what type of support you're playing. Mage support, grab Liandry's maybe. Tank support, Sunfire Aegis (until 11.2, where Frostfire and Chemtank are both getting well-deserved buffs)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Or play Ashe support and buy Imperial Mandate
Everything I know about the game tells me that it's bad and wrong, but I haven't lost with it yet. It's painful being a marksman with no real damage of your own, no mobility, and no hard cc, but if you have a buddy you can stayed glued to, it's dumb fun

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Assuming the other team doesn't ban Ashe because she's like, #4 in the ADC winrate meta right now, yeah, she's a solid choice. She was my first ADC when I was just a League babby, so I should probably pick her up as a support more often.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is Ashe support a thing now?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Barudak posted:

any time you hear about something that doesnt sound like it should be a support, just assume it's because people just really do not ever want to actually play a support and not that it's secretly op

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Barudak posted:

It's not really "a thing" but because the current "support mythics" are absolutely garbo, so many people are finding support builds for various champs that weren't designed as supports at all. For Ashe, grab Imperial Mandate, hit someone with a W, and once your ADC hits them you both have an extra 20% movement speed for a few seconds to chase them down and commit murder. By rank 5 of your W you'll be firing off Ws faster than the bonus damage and movement speed period from Mandate's unique passive can expire.

The mythic passive will only affect your ult but the ability haste on Mandate helps with sending it more and more often at least.

e: Start with Shoulderguards and kill cannons for dosh

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 14, 2021

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It works but so does Leo with the gold deficit supports get.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the good support item options are "just buy a mythic from another role"

Mandate and Renewer and Locket are all good though?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

One of the lines I kept hearing through preseason was how broken Imperial Mandate was so I'm not sure where the whole support mystics are bad thing came from other than the usual streamer bollocks when they're trying to influencer their way into a buff for their role.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If I love playing support, what are the most interesting ones released in the last 2 years? Seraphine is apparently a flying warcrime but how are the others?

Also I am extremely bad and rusty but after finishing my disaster of placements have immediately gone on an uninterrupted winning streak and gotten promoted three times and out of Iron entirely so eat me placement matches.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 14, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

njsykora posted:

One of the lines I kept hearing through preseason was how broken Imperial Mandate was so I'm not sure where the whole support mystics are bad thing came from other than the usual streamer bollocks when they're trying to influencer their way into a buff for their role.

mandate is the only cool support mythic and they added at the last second just before the release of the new shop
all the other support mythics, while they might be numerically balanced in terms of winrate or whatever, are lame and boring

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

If I love playing support, what are the most interesting ones released in the last 2 years? Seraphine is apparently a flying warcrime but how are the others?

Also I am extremely bad and rusty but after finishing my disaster of placements have immediately gone on an uninterrupted winning streak and gotten promoted three times and out of Iron entirely so eat me placement matches.

What kind of support?
Do you like healing and shielding and blueballing the enemy team while building the defensive items for your glass cannons so they don't have to?
Do you like being the big slab of meat that says "bring it" and locking down the enemy team with CC or missing your only skillshot hook for 30 minutes straight until you finally hit one and win the game off it?
Or do you feel like you could carry better then those other guys and just want to point to the damage graph after the game you top and tell everyone else lower then you on it that they need to git gud?

There is a different answer to each of those to find the champion right for you.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Barudak posted:

There have been 4 supports released in the last 2 years (2019+2020): Yuumi (yuck), Senna (pretty cool design, terrible in the current patch with a 45% winrate), Seraphine (generic uninspired mage only created to sell kpop skins, the warcrimes are just in her lore), and Rell (engage tank, has a gimmick where she slows herself to unplayably slow for the next 11 seconds every time she uses her main knockup)
Sett was supposed to be a toplane tank but he's sometimes played as a support as well

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 14, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Barudak posted:

If I love playing support, what are the most interesting ones released in the last 2 years?

AP Twitch

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bleck posted:

AP Twitch

Is what you pick if you do not trust your ADC at all

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
never trust videogame strangers

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
pick bard

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There have been 4 supports released in the last 2 years (2019+2020): Yuumi (yuck), Senna (pretty cool design, terrible in the current patch with a 45% winrate), Seraphine (generic uninspired mage only created to sell kpop skins, the warcrimes are just in her lore), and Rell (engage tank, has a gimmick where she slows herself to unplayably slow for the next 11 seconds every time she uses her main knockup)
Sett was supposed to be a toplane tank but he's sometimes played as a support as well

In my experience (primarily premades) Seraphine absolutely sucks at support when compared to her potential in midlane. She's a decent support but she's nothing special. Her real talent is in making people go "aw gently caress" when they get rooted and suddenly have a bunch of damage coming down on them they can see but can't actually do anything about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like playing support because I like complimenting whatever my team needs but I suck real hard at being AD and AP. Historically I played a lot of Leona/Sona/Lulu or whatever else I felt would compliment my team the most.

Checking it looks like I played last in 2016 so uh last 4 years count I guess for suggestions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
play Pyke
pyke is fun

he's got a hook, a stun, an invis, execute damage, free gold for your adc
everything a support could ever want