Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Narsham posted:

Dragon allergy, huh? I guess that little “kill everyone in the area” trick was impossible because the thing was unwell?

...did you just make a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

They're trying something new!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nemo2342 posted:

They're trying something new!

And?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

It's going well so far.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm kind of amazed we're this far in and the engine appears to be 100% the same. Are there any real updates from game to game in how the game works or what options you get? Or did they really roll with the same drat thing across the board?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Did you? :q:

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm kind of amazed we're this far in and the engine appears to be 100% the same. Are there any real updates from game to game in how the game works or what options you get? Or did they really roll with the same drat thing across the board?

Minor changes were made to the engine with almost every game, although some of them may actually have been repurposing the existing engine. For example, SotSB adds several full-screen pieces of art, but in actuality, it does so by using the art slots normally occupied by the overland maps.

The main changes made in each of this original Gold Box series were the additions of spells as each game allowed more level progression. I believe SotSB features small graphical adjustments; I don't know if jumping from 16X16 square dungeon maps to longer and thinner maps reflects an engine change or if they just figured out how to construct dungeons across multiple maps. I know FRUA (Unlimited Adventures, the Gold Box construction set) had ways of doing both.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I cannot for the life of me remember whether I finished this. I didn't finish PoR. I did CotAB and PoD.

This one left so little impression I genuinally don't know.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I played it to completion multiple times back when I had the games. Don’t know if I did every side quest, but I got most of them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Chokes, something I have wanted to ask... have you ever considered doing a fanciful LP of the Krynn trilogy of Gold Box games? There's an LP of them on the archive, but it's played straight, and those games are of a more steady quality than the Realms based ones. I just wondered if that wouldn't be better fodder for the silly machinations of whatever band of jolly misfits you wanted to teleport in.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JustJeff88 posted:

Chokes, something I have wanted to ask... have you ever considered doing a fanciful LP of the Krynn trilogy of Gold Box games? There's an LP of them on the archive, but it's played straight, and those games are of a more steady quality than the Realms based ones. I just wondered if that wouldn't be better fodder for the silly machinations of whatever band of jolly misfits you wanted to teleport in.

I know absolutely nothing about them other than knowing I had problems with the first one due to party management. I can't really do a game very well unless I'm at least passingly familiar with it. Same engine, sure, but still different mechanics and such.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
An amusing moment (for me, anyway) in my playthrough of the first Krynn game:

At one point you have to chase the main villain up several flights of stairs to the top of a tower. As you go multiple waves of draconians come down the stairs to attack you and buy the villain time to escape. All of this is scripted, of course, and you'll always be just seconds too late to catch him no matter how much time you took.

So I just buggered off and rested after each fight, probably taking over a day of game time to reach the top, but according to the text I was right behind him the whole way. I just figure I was chasing the most geriatric big bad in CRPG history.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 14, 2021

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

I know absolutely nothing about them other than knowing I had problems with the first one due to party management. I can't really do a game very well unless I'm at least passingly familiar with it. Same engine, sure, but still different mechanics and such.

If that's the only thing holding you back, I could do an effort post about party building and classes in the Krynn trilogy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

Fair enough. It's still second-edition D&D, but there's a lot of Krynn flavour and the class and spell mechanics, especially, are very different. I only knew about that sort of thing myself because I read the novels and had the boxed sets as a child.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Fine with me if Chokes wants to LP the other Gold Box games. Ddegenha did great work, but Chokes’ sense of humor is very entertaining. Plus the idea of the Big Bads from the games wearing a certain hat has me ROFL.

But I do hope to see this LP finished first.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Speaking of hats... Hey Chokes, what would you do if you just randomly recieved a black silk hat in the mail one day? Would you keep it or would you burn it in as large a bonfire as you can humanly make?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm really liking the setup to this game. So much potential here and a fast-travel system too! It's too bad everyone seems to agree it's terrible. Guess those of us not familiar with the Gold Box games are going to find out why.

So how do these games work if you haven't played the previous games? Were people expected to play them in-order even as new games came out? Like if you just picked this game up at the store or mail-order and had no knowledge of the previous two, what did character creation and the early game look like?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I can field that one, I played this game first out of its series. If you’re familiar with the character creation mechanics and fantasy setting from playing Dungeons & Dragons or from another Gold Box game (mine was Death Knights of Krynn), it looks pretty cool if you like that stuff and was easy to get. Not sure how it would be for a totally unfamiliar player though. Not having played the first two games at no point impacted my experience in this one- it’s a totally independent story. But I did get the desire to play them at some point. ;)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm more curious about if you would be forced to start at level 1 if you are just starting a new game and party, or would the game throw you a bone and start you off at the minimum recommended level for the adventure? Because while the second would make more sense... yeah, I can totally see game developers back then being that petty and dickish to players who didn't play prior games in the series.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

You make level appropriate characters.

The bones of the game are ~fine~. The issue is what they did once they had the basics sorted. How do you feel about mineshafts?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chuu posted:

I'm really liking the setup to this game. So much potential here and a fast-travel system too! It's too bad everyone seems to agree it's terrible. Guess those of us not familiar with the Gold Box games are going to find out why.

They made big improvements on the starting town, and the Well is a huge step forward in terms of design, likely requiring a fair amount of their time.

I’m guessing someone said “this needs to be finished in another two months” and they realized they’d spent most of their time constructing the starting areas and had to rush to fill out the rest.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chokes McGee posted:

Solamnic Knights of the Sword/Rose are fighter/clerics with all the perks and none of the downsides (other than leveling slowly, but it's still faster than a dual class char, iirc). By the time you hit the level cap in DKK you can strongly consider dropping any clerics you have for more knights and just run something like 3 knights and 2-3 mages with maybe a thief or something too. You can grab some crazy powerful gear pretty much immediately after leaving the intro for DKK (girdle of giant strength + other stuff in one small area, a +4 longsword/shield in another, etc).

Reading Chokes' LP of these games makes me want to replay the Krynn games and I'd be tempted to LP them but the write-ups... :effort:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

Fine with me if Chokes wants to LP the other Gold Box games.

Narrator: Chokes didn't want to LP other Gold Box games.

Seriously, if/after I finish this one I'm gonna be Gold Boxed out for a long, long time. My next project, though... *eyes C64 Disk ROM*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

Speaking of hats... Hey Chokes, what would you do if you just randomly recieved a black silk hat in the mail one day? Would you keep it or would you burn it in as large a bonfire as you can humanly make?

I'd probably get rid of it. Except... it would look pretty good. I bet it'd be a good addition to my formal wear. Maybe I'll try it on... just once...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJPunyW-5kI

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The universes are bleeding together :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/PunchlinesX/status/1352682657767944194?s=19

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I'd probably get rid of it. Except... it would look pretty good. I bet it'd be a good addition to my formal wear. Maybe I'll try it on... just once...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJPunyW-5kI

Nothing from Chokes in over two weeks. I think Rezen might actually have chainsawed him for wearing a hat. I've got to admit, it's one hell of a twist ending to the LP.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Nothing from Chokes in over two weeks. I think Rezen might actually have chainsawed him for wearing a hat. I've got to admit, it's one hell of a twist ending to the LP.

Sup everyone! I'm gonna be taking over this LP I guess since this browser's still open. Just gotta figure out how to use this command prompty thingie

oh

that ain't good, bbiab

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

whoops

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Sudo appget nuke

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FeyerbrandX posted:

Sudo appget nuke

app "nuke" not found on this server

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Greetings Professor.

Shall we play a game?

(Seriously I hope you can update soon. :) )

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Won't lie, if God took over the LP but says "gently caress it" and restores control of it to Chokes because they can't figure out how to use a computer, I'd laugh.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

Won't lie, if God took over the LP but says "gently caress it" and restores control of it to Chokes because they can't figure out how to use a computer, I'd laugh.

This certainly didn't happen. The real reason is because Chokes is short on cash, if you just send his info to this venmo dfj; ma,m;le sternn get away from that keyboard no never dfjklavm

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

translation: chokes has been replaced by a cat.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Who needs money when you can subsist entirely on internet nerd fame

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi, everybody! It's Chokes, and not any of those other people that weren't typing on my keyboard.

Writing's done for the next chapter, content extract is beginning. We're looking at tomorrow night or so for our next installment. Hope to see you there!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi, everybody! It's Chokes, and not any of those other people that weren't typing on my keyboard.

Writing's done for the next chapter, content extract is beginning. We're looking at tomorrow night or so for our next installment. Hope to see you there!

Wait, how do we know that you're really Chokes? Tell us something only Chokes would know! Preferably not anything incriminating or revealing anyone else's personal information.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Or maybe something incriminating, but not about you. Surprise us!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

dervinosdoom posted:

Or maybe something incriminating, but not about you. Surprise us!

I once received someone else's hate mail as CSPAM IK

she (the mod in question),

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

I once received someone else's hate mail as CSPAM IK

That could be anybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I believe in you, Chokes. Looking forward to the update.