Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What about the 27th amendment?

I don’t know if it’s a pay cut or an instant clawback and if either makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What about the 27th amendment?

A fine for misconduct doesn't really qualify as compensation, I should think. Especially since it isn't a law, which is what the 27th Amendment covers.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

She's one for the woodchipper

Do not want

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/1349431707003473927

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
fool of a lawyer to have that client

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1349530097691357190

quote:

Trump has instructed aides not to pay Giuliani’s legal fees, two officials said, and has demanded that he personally approve any reimbursements for the expenses Giuliani incurred while traveling on the president’s behalf to challenge election results in key states. They said Trump has privately expressed concern with some of Giuliani’s moves and did not appreciate a demand from Giuliani for $20,000 a day in fees for his work attempting to overturn the election.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

KirbyKhan posted:

*Nods*

*Rips bong*

Yeah, I recall the softening on Comey described. But somebody could say anything about them years and I wouldn't doubt it. I do know his "walk into the woods" tweet was far better received than Hilary's "walk into the woods" tweet.

I think there was some question about whether he was backed into a corner about announcing the Hillary email FBI investigation to the public for a short while. Then we found out there was also an FBI investigation into Trump that the public never heard word one about and that quickly went out the window. Assuming I remember things correctly, that was a lifetime ago at this point.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:sickos:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Please do not post snuff in this subforum.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

... toby keith? What the gently caress?

I didn't even know he was still a thing. And yet, here he is, some yokel in the oval office watching the president cry into his big mac.

What a world, what a world.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
GOTTA BE FUCKIN making GBS threads ME

https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1349534703154565121

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:vince:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

do you think I can light a spliff off of the dumpster fire that is American democracy today?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/allisonnorris/status/1347416130500096000?s=19

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

patriot

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

I wonder how many are on grindr.

Lindsey Graham is probably about to faint for real this time.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Midjack posted:

I don’t know if it’s a pay cut or an instant clawback and if either makes a difference.

It's not a variance in compensation (I.e.: a pay raise or cut). It's a fine for misbehavior. They are still getting that pay -- and getting taxed on it -- it's just the government happens to be their paymaster and knows exactly how many fines they've racked up.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Huh, just figured they were ignorant chuds, not chuds with a sense of self survival.

Also as USAF who has spent many a night sleeping on concrete floors... :frogout:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

As Nero Danced posted:

I wonder how many are on grindr.

Lindsey Graham is probably about to faint for real this time.

Is the vapors really just sedition?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

antimatt posted:

Huh, just figured they were ignorant chuds, not chuds with a sense of self survival.

Also as USAF who has spent many a night sleeping on concrete floors... :frogout:

Nah they’re both cool guys.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

antimatt posted:

These mil sleeping-arrangement one-ups always crack me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EI7p2p1QJI

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Here's a twitter thread about the guy with the limited edition Swedish scarf:
https://twitter.com/ChrChristensen/status/1349400117586046976

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kind of surprising to see this form an official US Gov Page. It’s cool don’t get me wrong. Also goddamn I can’t wait till it’s called Fort Sherman or Fort Grant or Fort Dude Who Was Thirsty For The Only Fans Girl.

https://twitter.com/18airbornecorps/status/1349561211701092354?s=21

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What a good man.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

light on details, but let's see what shakes loose
https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1349544576671838209?s=20

the author started looking into it after they received a bunch of suggestive and unwanted messages from John Weaver.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1349414811717824514

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goddamn if that’s not just hilarious.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
So wouldn't that make Baked Alaska some deep state Antifa actor according to the chuds?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

So wouldn't that make Baked Alaska some deep state Antifa actor according to the chuds?

If the violent rioters he’s state’s witness against are Antifa, wouldn’t he be a based patriot?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Anthime Gionet may be getting slack from the Feds, but he is on probation in Arizona and state authorities are not amused by his antics.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

Anthime Gionet may be getting slack from the Feds, but he is on probation in Arizona and state authorities are not amused by his antics.

It’s not probation, it’s bail, and he wasn’t even supposed or leave Arizona.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

My state ordered mandatory wearing of FFP2-masks starting Monday in public transportation and all retail stores. Infections have been coasting at a somewhat-lower-than-35,000 new infections per day with "only" around 25k, while deaths are still around 1200.
Price of those things is currently hovering around 3 Euroubles apiece, and since in winter conditions, you would need two per day as per the use recommendation, that runs you about 120 bucks apiece per month if you're a commuter that also enjoys being able to buy groceries, nevermind families with kids above the age of 14.
The state is handing out 5 free masks to 500,000 people "in need", which is probably not even get them through half a month, so this is gonna suck for a whole lot of people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It’s not probation, it’s bail, and he wasn’t even supposed or leave Arizona.

quote:

Gionet was released without bail, but Scottsdale prosecutors said in a filing Friday that a condition of release was that he stay in the state of Arizona and continue to follow the law. They’re asking a judge to revoke his release for violating those clauses.

I’m a fan of eliminating cash bail, but it hurts to see people like that fly the coop.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

I’m a fan of eliminating cash bail, but it hurts to see people like that fly the coop.

Same thing happened with the QAnon dorks who parked a hummer in front of the Philadelphia convention center with swords and tons of ammo and guns. I agree, there really needs to be mechanisms for keeping certain people in jail pending trial, and not just revert back to cash bail.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My state ordered mandatory wearing of FFP2-masks starting Monday

I know that hindsight is 6/6, but this is the sort of policy that was needed from the beginning, or rather, before the beginning.

FFP2/N95 respirators work. National or international stockpiles, enough for everyone, not just medical workers, would pay for themselves many times over, even if they had to be refreshed every five years and a major respiratory pandemic hit only once per century.

SARS‐2 will not be the last of the century.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I know that hindsight is 6/6, but this is the sort of policy that was needed from the beginning, or rather, before the beginning.

FFP2/N95 respirators work. National or international stockpiles, enough for everyone, not just medical workers, would pay for themselves many times over, even if they had to be refreshed every five years and a major respiratory pandemic hit only once per century.

SARS‐2 will not be the last of the century.

That would have never worked, though. We were nowhere near the stockpile or production capacity to even supply healthworkers with enough FFP2, let alone N95 during the first six months of the pandemic.
Some plan should have definitely been cooked up to a) keep increasing production capacity high before the second wave and b) supplying - or at the very least subsidizing - the populace with FFP2 masks so that the fall and winter ramp-up of the infection numbers could have been stifled by some measure.

But alas, Europe was sucking it's own dick so hard after getting control of the first wave that we told ourselves that our superior contact tracing would just let us casually hit the on/off button on regional lockdowns for containment in the second wave.

Incredibly large sigh goes here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I don’t mean from before the beginning of the current wave, I mean from well before SARS‐CoV‐2 infected human hosts.

A stockpile of tens or hundreds of millions of respirators isn’t enough. Tens or hundreds of billions is more like it. A stockpile like that would cost tens of billions of Euros to amass, but SARS‐2 is doing that sort of damage every single day. It would have been a price well paid as insurance.

No one was willing to put their money where their mouth was when it comes to pandemic preparedness. No one really believed that the Spanish Flu could happen to them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I don’t mean from before the beginning of the current wave, I mean from well before SARS‐CoV‐2 infected human hosts.

A stockpile of tens or hundreds of millions of respirators isn’t enough. Tens or hundreds of billions is more like it. A stockpile like that would cost tens of billions of Euros to amass, but SARS‐2 is doing that sort of damage every single day. It would have been a price well paid as insurance.

No one was willing to put their money where their mouth was when it comes to pandemic preparedness. No one really believed that the Spanish Flu could happen to them.

Oh, I didn't mean it would have never worked before the second wave, because it absolutely could have.
I'm saying mandatory FFP2 masks would have never worked at the beginning of the first wave, let alone before it...again, because of stockpile and production.

I agree that it would have been better if we had had massive stockpiles in the hundreds of billions, as well as the capacity to match that, but I just don't see it as having been realistic before this pandemic.

What I absolutely do see as having been realistic before the pandemic would be to at least have stockpiles large enough to sustain a somewhat reasonable time frame to supply the medical community and not running right the gently caress out on day ten or so due to the public completely depleting stockpiles and (primarily foreign) production capacity.
We've had enough scares over the last 20 years with SARS and MERS and whatever other popular name virus that should have alerted us to do at least that, but I don't see how anyone would have planned for supplying the entire population with masks for 12+months when they barely even planned for supplying the medical community with sufficient PPE.

What would really have alleviated the supply shortages is if we had had a culture shift in the last 20 years where you mask up in public if you're sick, period.
Even Korea had mask supply shortages, but at least they have like 200+ mask manufacturers nationwide that had capacity and ability to ramp up output, so when the government stepped in to purchase and redistribute the majority of the production, the country faced MUCH less of an impact than literally every western nation that pretty much imports the majority of its masks from China.

In Europe, the situation was pretty much "no, no, don't buy masks, use cloth masks" (which, unfortunately, was really the only option) while scalpers were rolling in literal piles of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

months from now there'll be a listicle compiling the best costumes from the day.

https://twitter.com/Rschooley/status/1349597635733118976?s=20

look at that dude. biggus guttus