Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Seconded, Pyke is great and is credit to team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd advise keeping Leona in your stable of regulars, she will never stop being good.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

SirSamVimes posted:

Is what you pick if you do not trust your ADC at all

one thing thats super weird to me is how people who have to always play ap carry supports also coincidentally always have adcs that suck. im sure nobody could figure out any causation between these two completely unrelated things

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

one thing thats super weird to me is how people who have to always play ap carry supports also coincidentally always have adcs that suck. im sure nobody could figure out any causation between these two completely unrelated things

Which is terrifying when someone who's gotten used to playing Lux as an APC support accidentally lanes with someone who's an actually good ADC.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

no matter how many times they nerf the mythic version of duskblade, it's still disgusting on miss fortune with dark harvest

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

One of the lines I kept hearing through preseason was how broken Imperial Mandate was so I'm not sure where the whole support mystics are bad thing came from other than the usual streamer bollocks when they're trying to influencer their way into a buff for their role.

the ashe build isn't necessarily OP because of the mandate itself but because all the items involved combined give absolutely ludicrous amounts of ability haste so you can fire volley like a machine gun and throw out stun arrows constantly. i built it in ARAM to try it out and it's incredibly oppressive. an entire team gets permaslowed under tower constantly making it hard for them to dodge anything else.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 14, 2021

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the good support item options are "just buy a mythic from another role"

Imperial mandate is insanely powerful for how cheap it is. AP support maokai, probably the strongest support atm, takes it over Liandry.

fnox
May 19, 2013

How Rude posted:

Imperial mandate is insanely powerful for how cheap it is. AP support maokai, probably the strongest support atm, takes it over Liandry.

People are sleeping on Mandate, Shurelya and Moonstone. Wouldn't be surprised if we see more solo carry builds or jungler builds using support mythics, because they're super loving strong.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Mandate is great, Moonstone is good on champs that use it well, and Locket is great on tanky supports who don't want to shell out Real Mythic Item amounts of money. Shurelyas feels like garbage for the most part and I don't know who's going to buy it after they shift it from slightly more defensive-oriented to AP (Rakan can justify buying it as-is right now).

I honestly think Moonstone is closer in effectiveness to Mandate than it looks; the burst from Mandate is amazing for taking out a priority target, but Moonstone heals provide a way bigger swing in HP over the course of a teamfight. Mandate is still easily the best support item right now, though

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

rabidsquid posted:

any time you hear about something that doesnt sound like it should be a support, just assume it's because people just really do not ever want to actually play a support and not that it's secretly op

pretty drat sure this is how ap twitch briefly became a thing too which i still dont get. support picks are fun! i love playing thresh and nami when i get the opportunity and maokai right now until the patch goes through hitting him and mandate he's a blast too.

ill never get why people just look at the dozens of supports available and go "well what about support caitlyn or lee sin"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Not enough people appreciate the fun of CCing anything that gets too close and spamming laugh when they die.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

njsykora posted:

Not enough people appreciate the fun of CCing anything that gets too close and spamming laugh when they die.

Ruining solo q super stars like Zed Rengar Yasuo and Vayne etc. with hard CC is why I main support.

Just slam the 0 defensive item greedy moron with a stun and watch them helplessly evaporate.

Edit: I think this is part of what makes support Maokai and Shaco so strong right now. Traps that control zones by slowing/stunning your enemy and apply mandate really mess up the Yasuo with 0 bonus MR.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 14, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like being a support and having now played a bunch of games with people just as bad as me I see why its appealing to be AP support because you don't want to be support at all and you know support players will shift to whatever last unfilled role is now that you've hogged theres.

I got stubborn and played Sona Mid into their Lux and won my lane and the game screw you annie "support"

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah lol people pick stupid poo poo because "my adcs always suck", and then get destroyed by a meta pick in a self fulfilling way

fnox
May 19, 2013

if your idea with those carry supports is "I'll carry harder than my ADC" then you are definitely playing the role wrong.

if an ADC does suck, i.e, has no idea how to do anything other than hard shove into turret, you are better off either peeling the enemy off them, or just playmaking for someone else.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

you pick AP support because youre goiong to have an AD top, AD jungle, lucian or ezreal mid and vayne bot

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

njsykora posted:

CCing is fun which is why it makes me sad that CC in league is so short and damage is so high
like the game is balanced around instagibbing assassins or adcs during the duration of a 1 second stun

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Bard is an AP carry support if you take electrocute and nashors

strong bird
May 12, 2009

if youre just learning AP support here are the 3 champs u pick and they all have the same build cause they made the item system an afterthought for some reason

lux (E - Q - W) meteor
xerath (Q - W - E) dark harvest
velkoz (Q - W - E) dark harvest

ludens echo
horizon focus
deathcap
ordinarily id say you want to get some CDR but its too hard so we ignore that stat now. epic!

your goal as AP support is to Carry The Game by dealing high Magic Damage from a long range and Killing The Enemy Players while mid ezreal is split pushing at 23 minutes

Tips n' Tricks:

1) If theres a vacant lane (like if your ADC goes back) farm the lane. Mute their pings and ignore anything they say about 'lane equilibrium' or 'freezing' since your jungler isnt goign to gank your lane anyway
2) If you're losing your lane but winning top, go lane with the top laner or start roaming after 6
2.1) Don't go top otherwise
3) If you hit your stun, the kill is yours by right. If it looks like they have over 25% chance of getting away, the kill is yours if you hit your powerful aimed long range abilities. Mock your teammates, especially those with easy point and click spells, for not getting the job done.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

strong bird posted:

3) If you hit your stun, the kill is yours by right. If it looks like they have over 25% 0% chance of getting away, the kill is yours

always killsteal
always.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

youre trying to eke out a careful balance of tilting your team enough so they know youre better and theres nothing they can do about it so they dont complain about your activities, but also not enough so they give up out of spite. part of that is throwing them a few bones from time to time

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Anyone getting mad about kill stealing is not worth listening to tbh

I guess like.. don't save your ability to snipe them at the last possible second or something, but as a wise man once said "if they dead they controlled" so when you think about it killing them is the ultimate form of CC, which is the support's job.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kill stealing matters in 2 scenarios:

1. Where you have a guy on your team that seems toxic/high strung and you estimate he may INT or rage quit if you KS

2. If the kill is absolutely guaranteed due to circumstances and you're not playing a carry champion do not kill steal the carries. I've had games where an early fight goes 2 for 2 but one team got both kills on the carry and getting first item let them carry into the midgame.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

strong bird posted:

if youre just learning AP support here are the 3 champs u pick and they all have the same build cause they made the item system an afterthought for some reason

lux (E - Q - W) meteor
xerath (Q - W - E) dark harvest
velkoz (Q - W - E) dark harvest

ludens echo
horizon focus
deathcap
ordinarily id say you want to get some CDR but its too hard so we ignore that stat now. epic!

your goal as AP support is to Carry The Game by dealing high Magic Damage from a long range and Killing The Enemy Players while mid ezreal is split pushing at 23 minutes

Tips n' Tricks:

1) If theres a vacant lane (like if your ADC goes back) farm the lane. Mute their pings and ignore anything they say about 'lane equilibrium' or 'freezing' since your jungler isnt goign to gank your lane anyway
2) If you're losing your lane but winning top, go lane with the top laner or start roaming after 6
2.1) Don't go top otherwise
3) If you hit your stun, the kill is yours by right. If it looks like they have over 25% chance of getting away, the kill is yours if you hit your powerful aimed long range abilities. Mock your teammates, especially those with easy point and click spells, for not getting the job done.

At this point why don't you just queue as bot and be an apc with a support of your own

strong bird
May 12, 2009

5 carries is better than 4 and some dude who gets autofilled and slam picks alistar like its 2006

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

At this point why don't you just queue as bot and be an apc with a support of your own

As a top lane main, I’m going to have to agree that not going top is pretty much always the right play. The only thing of strategic value top is to tilt the enemy/untilt your top laner.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Is there any news that more prestige skins (like any older ones) will be available before the points go away? I'd assume not, but I'm not super excited about the ones I own the base skin for.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

njsykora posted:

I miss duoing with my college roommate where I'd go Leona or Taric and he'd go Twitch and we'd absolutely bully the other team out of botlane. Stuns win trades.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

strong bird posted:

5 carries is better than 4 and some dude who gets autofilled and slam picks alistar like its 2006

depending on the team, alistar can be really good since he's probably got the best peel in the game. The issue is he relies entirely on your team to carry while you keep them alive. if your ADC is bad because they're not a challanger main then that likely means you'll lose.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

strong bird posted:

go lane with the top laner

not to cherry-pick but speaking as a toplaner this is in fact an extraordinarily bad idea

roaming top for ganks is cool and good, just parking yourself top and leeching their xp for 10 minutes is going to lose you the game and get you reported by me specifically regardless of if im in the game with you

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Monicro posted:

not to cherry-pick but speaking as a toplaner this is in fact an extraordinarily bad idea

roaming top for ganks is cool and good, just parking yourself top and leeching their xp for 10 minutes is going to lose you the game and get you reported by me specifically regardless of if im in the game with you

that post also recommends actively trying to take kills as a support and mocking your teammates if they are unable to stop you, so it's just full of bad ideas

strong bird
May 12, 2009

its a really good idea especially if top is some braindead moron and you can possibly spur them on to deal their 1st damage of the game to a tower, take an objective etc

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
So what's the deal with Glacial now? Twin Shadows and the Hextech thing are gone, and I can't think of any active items replacing them that make use of the rune, so it's lost half the utility it had before, right? Are there plans to make it more powerful or add items that work with it, because I'm starting to get the feeling that they forgot about Glacial in the preseason updates and are hoping that we forget too

Servaetes posted:

ill never get why people just look at the dozens of supports available and go "well what about support caitlyn or lee sin"

Don't you mock my Dark Harvest Cait Supp, as soon as she gets the Collector, she is a kill stealing machine

Seriously though, as someone who loves off meta supports, and often pays the price for playing them, I'll explain my reasoning
Sometimes, it will be because our team is severely lacking something important and I don't feel like picking the support version, so I pick the solo lane version because no one in champion select saw the problem with our team composition of Lucian, Vayne, Kindred, Tristana, and "undecided support"
Sometimes it's because I'll notice little things that I think I can exploit to make difference end game, like Dark Harvest Mage Teemo last season, where getting souls as support was so easy and you could get so much mana that by the time you're saturating the map with shrooms, Dark Harvest/Liandry's/high magic pen will ensure that a squishy stepping on more than one will probably die or at least will be unable to fight
Sometimes it is simply because I don't trust my laning partner, and I want to be able to have the freedom and autonomy of a solo laner, should it be necessary for me to take over the lane from the ADC that cannot CS to save either of our lives

However, the majority of the time it's just out of honest curiosity. "Support Pantheon is really good right now, what if I took a different top lane bruiser, like Illoai?", "Senna and MF are supports, Cait has CC and a good skillshot, why can't she support?", "If Mages are so strong right now, why shouldn't I take Malz or Taliyah?", "What would happen if I took a good mobility champ like Ahri, gave them Glacial, and bought the cheap AP items that work with it?"

The answers to those questions are, in order, "you don't get enough gold to be as big of a bruiser as you need to with support Illoai, but if you pivot to tank and ignore mythics, you become a wall of health that can tie up the entire enemy team singlehandedly without being able to kill a single one. Fun, but not very conducive to winning"
"Cait works better than MF for me, but her CC doesn't feel as useful as it should, and the item changes made building lethality as a support a huge problem. Without an early lead, she's a liability"
"Malz is alright, but his mana costs are just a bit too high if you can't CS and his lack of mobility with no hard CC makes him a juicy target. Plus, he almost always tilts your ADC with accidental minion deaths"
"Taliyah is a gem, and I'm surprised how little I see of her. Just thinking about it makes me want to play Taliyah support immediately after writing this post"
And finally "this worked wonders; Ahri tilts the enemy, gives extra vision all the time, your item CD can be disgustingly short with runes, and though she lacks raw power, she makes up for it with utility and mobility. RIP Glacial Ahri, the new items weren't worth it"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jerkface posted:

Kill stealing matters in 2 scenarios:

1. Where you have a guy on your team that seems toxic/high strung and you estimate he may INT or rage quit if you KS

2. If the kill is absolutely guaranteed due to circumstances and you're not playing a carry champion do not kill steal the carries. I've had games where an early fight goes 2 for 2 but one team got both kills on the carry and getting first item let them carry into the midgame.

case 1 is the one situation where you should actively try to killsteal

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

strong bird posted:

its a really good idea especially if top is some braindead moron and you can possibly spur them on to deal their 1st damage of the game to a tower, take an objective etc

if your toplaner is a moron i would personally not decide they should also be 2 levels behind the enemy toplaner

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the crucial secret, the hosed up REality is that the top lane ends as soon as another laner is introduced because the enemy tower is going to fall. then you leave top lane and refer to point 2.1 on the Tips n' Tricks list and if garen wants to afk top for the rest of the game, as is his wont due to the unique brain problem of the top laner position, he is free to

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Monicro posted:

if your toplaner is a moron i would personally not decide they should also be 2 levels behind the enemy toplaner

What if they're enough of a moron that they've already made the decision to be 2 levels behind?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

taking turret early literally isnt even that good into like half the toplane pool

hell yeah we took top turret at 7 minutes vs a vladimir and then left to aram. wait why is it 30 minutes and he's one-shotting my entire team. top gap i guess

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Door Frame posted:

So what's the deal with Glacial now? Twin Shadows and the Hextech thing are gone, and I can't think of any active items replacing them that make use of the rune, so it's lost half the utility it had before, right? Are there plans to make it more powerful or add items that work with it, because I'm starting to get the feeling that they forgot about Glacial in the preseason updates and are hoping that we forget too

Senna still absolutely loves Glacial Augment because it makes it so much easier to harvest souls of enemy champs. Everfrost will still proc it too so it’s not completely without use even if Everfrost needs some pretty significant buffs if Riot want it to ever be bought by anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the goal of going top is to finish ur support item. were completely ignoring the top laners wants and needs because theyre irrelevant in this, and most, circumstance(s)