Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah at this point that's got to be intentional. He's pretty well accepted that he's a meme at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://frontofficesports.com/john-skipper-dan-lebatard-jemele-hill-espn-clay-travis-outkick/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kevin Draper has a good writeup in the NY Times about the Nickelodeon simulcast, including a great mention of a snafu from the producers, who wanted to give Gabrielle Nevaeh Green some notes

quote:

Green who was attending her first N.F.L. game, wasn’t asked to understand football like Burleson, who played in the league for 11 years. But [producer Shawn] Robbins still wanted to get her a one-page cheat sheet for each team. Instead, a production assistant accidentally included her on the same distribution list for the game notes that went to Tony Romo.

“Her mom sent me an email that said, ‘Um, hey Shawn, what do we need to know from this 800-page packet?’” Robbins said.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Would've been dope if she came out explaining the nuances of how the Bears run RPO compared to the rest of the league.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1349131511526686721

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 13, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nobody should be watching a bunch of kids being forced to play during a pandemic anyway

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao holy poo poo why are they still convinced New Years Eve semifinals are a good idea

AA posted:

Will college football’s power brokers implement changes to the Playoff after this season of poor viewership, or will they simply chalk it up to the pandemic and other political factors and hope for a better season next fall? I’d assume it’ll be the latter, especially since there’s a built-in excuse for poor semifinal viewership in the next two seasons: the semifinals will take place on New Year’s Eve in both 2021 (a Friday) and 2022 (a Saturday).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Former UFC fighter Pat Miletich has been fired from his commentary job at Legacy Fighting Alliance for being at the DC riot

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

I'm sure this is a v rare promotion phenome

https://mobile.twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1349464169968508935

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

its cool dana just really, really, really, really, really likes tennis.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What am I missing there?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

What am I missing there?

it's a shirt proud boys wear a lot which I guess you could write off as a coincidence pretty easily assuming you had never heard dana white speak

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

it's a shirt proud boys wear a lot which I guess you could write off as a coincidence pretty easily assuming you had never heard dana white speak

aaaah

yeah not denying Dana's a poo poo by any means, I just didn't know the shirt thing.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Dana White is a gigantic piece of poo poo but the photo is old and could be before white supremacists co-opting the Fred Perry brand became mainstream. I don't think most people knew about the connection until Charlottesville happened. Here his head still looks relatively proportional and he hasn't gone full tomato yet which makes me think it's pretty old.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The new years eve games are so loving stupid.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Sportico/status/1349755656782245891?s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I was wondering why the show just kept going like that

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I was wondering why the show just kept going like that

The better question is why and how ESPN/Disney were so freaking generous to not just allow them to keep the specific feeds, but also the sound library and archive of clips.

I’m guessing it has to do with the show originally coming from radio into the ESPN fold and ownership of that as copyright, but yeah, Amin wishing they’d kept his “Amin knows basketball” song back at Disney is a joke wrapped around a very good question.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

harperdc posted:

The better question is why and how ESPN/Disney were so freaking generous to not just allow them to keep the specific feeds, but also the sound library and archive of clips.

I’m guessing it has to do with the show originally coming from radio into the ESPN fold and ownership of that as copyright, but yeah, Amin wishing they’d kept his “Amin knows basketball” song back at Disney is a joke wrapped around a very good question.

dan probably paid for it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dan must have some good lawyers

Also ESPN probably realized it's smart not to burn down a bridge in case he ever wants to come back one day

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
he's not going to start a cable network and they barely care about podcasts so I doubt they consider it much of a threat

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MourningView posted:

he's not going to start a cable network and they barely care about podcasts so I doubt they consider it much of a threat

Hell, ESPN Radio isn't really relevant.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1352618544371011584

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Inside the NBA is a bad TV show and bad for basketball

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1352700248800579588

i guess they want everything they have on peacock

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JBFlint/status/1352700104373768194

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
USA has gone through a lot of rebranding and rebranding and rebranding the past 15 years. If I recall, maybe about a year ago they said they were moving again to abandon all original programming period. Or I should say they were doing Blue Sky programming so it was light fun easy to watch. They transitioned into trying to be serious with shows like a Bourne spinoff and stuff. I think they said they were transitioning out of any serious programming and converting to cheaper reality shows and wrestling...so maybe they're going to transition again into more sports???

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

soggybagel posted:

USA has gone through a lot of rebranding and rebranding and rebranding the past 15 years. If I recall, maybe about a year ago they said they were moving again to abandon all original programming period. Or I should say they were doing Blue Sky programming so it was light fun easy to watch. They transitioned into trying to be serious with shows like a Bourne spinoff and stuff. I think they said they were transitioning out of any serious programming and converting to cheaper reality shows and wrestling...so maybe they're going to transition again into more sports???

Sounds like NBC Universal's answer to TNT.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yeah, as cable is dying they want to put stuff on more established networks

now usa can return to it's roots as a sports channel

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

General Dog posted:

Sounds like NBC Universal's answer to TNT.

Except TNT is like a part time sports channel but still is handling original broadcasting.

This move is very weird. NBCSN does very well.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1352708881823227905?s=20

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Except TNT is like a part time sports channel but still is handling original broadcasting.

If I remember correctly from WWE threads and ratings chat, USA Network is bleeding viewers overall. Maybe this is more of a move to save their basic cable staple?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

soggybagel posted:

The only reason why I can see Comcast making this move is that they are betting the house on Peacock and essentially want to force you to sign up for it if you were a regular NBCSN viewer.

I think both the NHL and PL contracts are up soon too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/kevinmdraper/status/1352743156996050951?s=19

seems like people here were right they're killing it to push people towards peacock and slow usa network's freefall

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm not surprised by more sports coming to USA because they have to do something but getting rid of NBCsn all together is wild. Especially with how much apart of their Olympic portfolio it is. I guess they could just still use the station with whatever they replace sports with.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Rick posted:

I'm not surprised by more sports coming to USA because they have to do something but getting rid of NBCsn all together is wild. Especially with how much apart of their Olympic portfolio it is. I guess they could just still use the station with whatever they replace sports with.

Funny you should mention it because lots of reports today that the Tokyo Olympics will be cancelled.

So I wonder if NBC heard and decided to just cut bait right now since they won’t have their huge cash cow on it this summer.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
What about NBC's RSNs? I feel like their time is limited now

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

nikosoft posted:

What about NBC's RSNs? I feel like their time is limited now

What makes you say that? RSNs aren't going away.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rick posted:

They’re very obviously going to use the Olympics to leverage Peacock signups so I don’t think they really care. Plus they own MSNBC, CNBC, the Olympics Channel, Golf Channel, E!, Oxygen, and Bravo so they’re not short on options.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Peacock's launch this year was built entirely around the leveraging of the Olympics to juice signups. (oops!)

Was NBCSN ever anchoring olympic coverage? As far as I remember NBC would get the juiciest stuff and then they'd kind of randomly distribute all other coverage to all the random NBCU/Comcast family of channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

soggybagel posted:

Was NBCSN ever anchoring olympic coverage? As far as I remember NBC would get the juiciest stuff and then they'd kind of randomly distribute all other coverage to all the random NBCU/Comcast family of channels.

It's actually where they put the majority of their Olympics coverage. Looking back at their TV schedule for the 2018 games, virtually all of their live broadcasts and replays were being shown on NBCSN, with NBC proper just having the primetime/evening livecast of high-profile events, midnight/post-11 PM-news livecasts, late-night replays of the primetime stuff, and some occasional midday recaps or re-airings. The only stuff CNBC or USA got were early-stage hockey and curling matches. The Olympic Channel, ironically, got even less than that- usually just live broadcasts of the daily medal ceremonies, and a daily highlights package.