Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I think my favorite thing was when Brabham just bought like 4 air fryers and put the tires in the to heat them up prior to changing them at the pit stop, and viola, they “invented” tire warming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I haven't heard that phrase in a decade and it brought an immediate smile to my face.

Please show us the huge lamp in these trying times.
Oh god, the massive lamp. That brings back memories of better days.

(I could only find a tiny, lovely version of the photo, sadly...)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

gently caress me that's a massive lamp

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

bgreman posted:

Tire warmers making their first mentioned on-screen appearance at Britain 87.

The four way battle in 86 and 87 between Mansell, Prost, Piquet, and Senna adds a lot of spice, especially when Mansell and Senna are wrecking each other every few races.

Why does this announcer call everyone little. He's called Prost "the diminutive Frenchman" for like five seasons. He said similar things about Arnoux, and now just referenced "little Teo Fabi."

I wonder if Senna insisted that Nakajima get the on board camera (he's had it most of the races) as a subtle sabotage just like he blocked getting a decent teammate the season before.

No, Nakajima just wasn’t that good. Had Honda pushed for him to enter F1 a little earlier I think he could have been decent but he was like a 35 year old rookie.

Prost, Fabi, and Arnoux were all very short - 5’6 or under.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I think Herbert got the most verbal abuse from the commentators. I’ve heard Murray call him “a tiny man”, “hopeless” and “hapless” during the same race. His career was mostly a parade of terrible performances and garbage cars, but the commentators somehow made it feel even worse

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I think Herbert got the most verbal abuse from the commentators. I’ve heard Murray call him “a tiny man”, “hopeless” and “hapless” during the same race. His career was mostly a parade of terrible performances and garbage cars, but the commentators somehow made it feel even worse

You must keep in mind that he was never quite the same after that horrific F3000 accident - also like Stefano Modena he was hyped to the stars and never quite lived up to it. Still, in 1997 he was actually pretty decent - again because he was another late-80s/early 90s holdover against a field of nupties. He likely outdrove what the Sauber was capable of.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Frond posted:

You must keep in mind that he was never quite the same after that horrific F3000 accident - also like Stefano Modena he was hyped to the stars and never quite lived up to it. Still, in 1997 he's was actually pretty decent - again becuase he was another late-80s/early 90s holdover against a field of nupties. He likely outdrove what the Sauber was capable of.

Yeah, that’s what makes all the insults aimed at him even stranger. He didn’t even get the usual soft treatment from the commentators the British drivers usually get

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Payndz posted:

Lol it's even more massive than I remembered.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
He was under the impression he could easily get a CART drive for 2001 after F1 - but then found out to his surprise that nobody in CART would meet his ridiculous salary demands when they could pay someone like Roberto Moreno 1/4 the amount to win races.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Man, I miss CART. I liked seeing street circuit open wheel races from my window.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
murray walker loving sucked even when he still had a functional brain. james hunt was lovely

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Zeta Acosta posted:

murray walker loving sucked even when he still had a functional brain. james hunt was lovely

Not true. I liked Hunt too but he was also a bitchboy on occasion. Listen to this giant loving baby;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyPRnpqRRA4

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Frond posted:

Not true. I liked Hunt too but he was also a bitchboy on occasion. Listen to this giant loving baby;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyPRnpqRRA4

lol imagine if he had to watch a modern race.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Why hasn't Lewis renewed his contract yet???? :froggonk:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lewis to take over from Lando, McLaren to cheat again but get away with it, Lewis and Dan 1-2s for the whole 2021 season, Dan wins the championship

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

Lewis to take over from Lando, McLaren to cheat again but get away with it, Lewis and Dan 1-2s for the whole 2021 season, Dan wins the championship

:flashfap: I've dreamt of that OP!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Much as I love Dan, the Formula One dream team would be Lewis and Seb. The most moral driver pairing. Together they'd end racism, as opposed to 2nding racism.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Much as I love Dan, the Formula One dream team would be Lewis and Seb. The most moral driver pairing. Together they'd end racism, as opposed to 2nding racism.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Payndz posted:

idgi. Is this about F1 or iron skillets?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's F1?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Whoa, that takes me back. Who's AV was this?

Also, I think I've been intermittently posting in F1 threads since 2011. Weird.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SocksAndSandals posted:

idgi. Is this about F1 or iron skillets?

nelson piquet jr has a massive lamp

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Verstappen - Mazepin would also be a thing in that timeline though, luckily walls don't change.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Remember when nelson piquet jr crashed into a wall on purpose

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ethanol posted:

Remember when nelson piquet jr crashed into a wall on purpose

It was because he'd burnt out his corneas sitting under that enormous lamp.

Seriously though the funniest thing about that story was the Flavio had got him to commit to this conspiracy and then dumped him mid-season apparently not considering the fact that Piquet Jr. had enough blackmail material to ruin his life. We probably never would have known about it if Flavio had just kept a bad driver in his team for another 6 races instead of replacing him with Romain Grosjean, a different and equally bad driver.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

net work error posted:

Why hasn't Lewis renewed his contract yet???? :froggonk:

This negotiation is pretty funny. Hamilton is now past his prime but Mercedes isn't really willing to play hardball so they just go around in circles.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

daslog posted:

Hamilton is now past his prime

delete this crap

e:
/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bring back all the old Gonzo avs

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Doesn't really matter whether you're ahead of, at or behind your peak when you're driving the Mercedes and a completely broken Valtteri Bottas is tour team mate.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

cgfreak posted:

Doesn't really matter whether you're ahead of, at or behind your peak when you're driving the Mercedes and a completely broken Valtteri Bottas is tour team mate.

Hamilton has said that Bottas is incredibly mentally strong. Because he has to deal with having Hamilton as a teammate.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

daslog posted:

This negotiation is pretty funny. Hamilton is now past his prime but Mercedes isn't really willing to play hardball so they just go around in circles.

In what conceivable way is he past his prime? If anything he was more dominant this last season than ever.

Both sides know they're going to sign a deal and they're not in any hurry because they're having a nice break after a very stressful season. They'll announce it just before they launch the car or some poo poo.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
It was pretty incredible how Russell trashed bottas in that race.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Zeta Acosta posted:

It was pretty incredible how Russell trashed bottas in that race.

not really, the car is the best and russell is very good.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Charles got the 'vid

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Slotducks posted:

Charles got the 'vid

Wasn't he at the "Dakar" Rally a week or so ago? These drivers need to stop going to middle east and getting infected.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Wasn't he at the "Dakar" Rally a week or so ago? These drivers need to stop going to middle east and getting infected.

Lots of athletes keep going to Dubai and getting COVID because they're the stupidest people on the planet

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Dubai is the superspreader

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Hamilton has said that Bottas is incredibly mentally strong. Because he has to deal with having Hamilton as a teammate.

turns out you can be mentally strong due to knowing you won't achive anything of note

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

your friend wicka posted:

Lots of athletes keep going to Dubai and getting COVID because they're the stupidest people on the planet

i never knew you were an athlete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Listen I don't want to sound glib but lol they can't help it can they