Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

It's in the vr internet world. Pretty sure it's just called The Monorail.

ohhhh right, man maybe it’s time for me to reread that. I was thinking about how prominent the privatized highways and personal transport was in the real franchulated world but yeah The Street is pretty much that concept exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farm Frenzy posted:

imagine playing an fps on a console lol. embarassing

imagine giving a poo poo. mortifying.

Hail Satan

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

imagine you have to drive three blocks east in downtown manhattan, but the city removed all right and left turns except in the Bronx and the financial district. Each right and left can only go one block. so you drive north to the bronx, then south to wall street, then north to the bronx, then south to the house 3 blocks from you. that's a line city, that's the commute and everyone is on the same path

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hail satan

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Antonymous posted:

imagine you have to drive three blocks east in downtown manhattan, but the city removed all right and left turns except in the Bronx and the financial district. Each right and left can only go one block. so you drive north to the bronx, then south to wall street, then north to the bronx, then south to the house 3 blocks from you. that's a line city, that's the commute and everyone is on the same path

Now imagine the whole line city had an underground tunnel, filled with a series of automated teslas.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Antonymous posted:

actually it seems like this is the second urban planning you've ever heard of, so they remind you of eachother. the soviet one is good

Accurate assessment. I'm from Canada, we're about as good at urban planning as we are at Summer Olympics

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
A one dimensional city, the dot, would be vastly superior to the line as far as transportation and land use is concerned :crossarms:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

A one dimensional city, the dot, would be vastly superior to the line as far as transportation and land use is concerned :crossarms:

we live in a perfectly spherical frictionless society

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Oh, please. We all know it's flat.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hail dystopian satan

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The Bloop posted:

imagine giving a poo poo. mortifying.

Hail Satan

you give a poo poo as you are offended. i have owned you as it is trivially easy to do

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hail Satan, death to the internet of things, I look forward to my country getting more inconvenient and expensive every day til I die

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Chamale posted:

Accurate assessment. I'm from Canada, we're about as good at urban planning as we are at Summer Olympics

hi i'm the traffic circle in edmonton that goes from 2 lanes to 3 lanes to a bus stop to 1 lane then back to 2 when u loop back around

one of the exits exits into two left turn lanes or something so if u need to get to the burger baron i hope theres no traffic because you're going to ram into a lovely f350

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
at the risk of being a contrarian rear end in a top hat

the problem isn't line cities per se. BosWash is a line city, all feeding off 95 and the rail trunk. Japan's heterogenous areas have been bleeding out to the Hakata-to-Sapporo set of trunk lines not just since the bubble popped, but since the intensification of industrial production in the runup to WW2. Most "new land" of the 19th c. is laid out as line settlements around rail. You can build a very good line city because it's very well suited to how most people want to live in most environments people live in, the problem with this Saudi thing is that it's a really loving bad, my first SimCity experiment-tier line city.

What are lines good for, economically? Bringing vast swathes of productive land within convenient range of efficient bulk shipping. But the Saudis just want to build it through a desert.
What are lines good for, on a class basis? Increasing the number of settlements in which the proletariat and the peasantry both have a major voice by making sure there's a stark density gradient that doesn't include large suburban chunks. But the Saudis want to build it as nothing but class-stratified megasuburbia.
What are lines good for, on a human development basis? Making sure that the peasant's daughter can commute to a decent school in the denser portions if she wants, and the prole's son can spend most of his time at the dacha if he wants. But the Saudis have no room in their system for either their children getting new exotic ideas about the world or their slaves enjoying peaceful idyll.
What are lines good for, on a political basis? Ensuring that everyone has personal investment in the success of national infrastructure. But the Saudis want a neo-feudal human warehousing project.

Most large, sparse countries would be better off if, for example with the US, the countless outlying settlements near no resources in particular down 100 miles of ill-maintained two-lane roads condensed down to interstate proximity, and better off within that if the interstates were augmented with or replaced by high-speed rail. It could be done with a density gradient anywhere from "Queens" to "40 acres per household" without actually extending the system, even, and unfuck the miserable logistical mess we have that relies on massive amounts of fossil-fuel shipping and hours in the car to and from work. It's not a bad idea in itself, this is just a really lovely take on it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hail the Beast.

christmas boots posted:

very troubling that no fps in gaming history has contained a gun that shoots dogshit, even as a gag weapon.

This is gravity gun erasure.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
posting on the satan page

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

posting on the satan page

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hail satan

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pathetic number tbqh

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Zil posted:

Hail satan

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

satanpunk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/Z3POybx.mp4

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

Hail satan

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Colonel Cancer posted:

a dot, representing a single point, is in dimensional terms 0 dimensional.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Technological singularity: broke
Physical singularity containing a city: woke

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mandoric posted:

at the risk of being a contrarian rear end in a top hat

the problem isn't line cities per se. BosWash is a line city, all feeding off 95 and the rail trunk. Japan's heterogenous areas have been bleeding out to the Hakata-to-Sapporo set of trunk lines not just since the bubble popped, but since the intensification of industrial production in the runup to WW2. Most "new land" of the 19th c. is laid out as line settlements around rail. You can build a very good line city because it's very well suited to how most people want to live in most environments people live in, the problem with this Saudi thing is that it's a really loving bad, my first SimCity experiment-tier line city.

What are lines good for, economically? Bringing vast swathes of productive land within convenient range of efficient bulk shipping. But the Saudis just want to build it through a desert.
What are lines good for, on a class basis? Increasing the number of settlements in which the proletariat and the peasantry both have a major voice by making sure there's a stark density gradient that doesn't include large suburban chunks. But the Saudis want to build it as nothing but class-stratified megasuburbia.
What are lines good for, on a human development basis? Making sure that the peasant's daughter can commute to a decent school in the denser portions if she wants, and the prole's son can spend most of his time at the dacha if he wants. But the Saudis have no room in their system for either their children getting new exotic ideas about the world or their slaves enjoying peaceful idyll.
What are lines good for, on a political basis? Ensuring that everyone has personal investment in the success of national infrastructure. But the Saudis want a neo-feudal human warehousing project.

Most large, sparse countries would be better off if, for example with the US, the countless outlying settlements near no resources in particular down 100 miles of ill-maintained two-lane roads condensed down to interstate proximity, and better off within that if the interstates were augmented with or replaced by high-speed rail. It could be done with a density gradient anywhere from "Queens" to "40 acres per household" without actually extending the system, even, and unfuck the miserable logistical mess we have that relies on massive amounts of fossil-fuel shipping and hours in the car to and from work. It's not a bad idea in itself, this is just a really lovely take on it.
I enjoyed this civil engineering primer, thanks!

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

hail satan

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yay satan!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Have to say, this Satan guy? Big fan.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sliding into Cyber Satan's DMs

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
https://www.pixels-dice.com/
Play Satan’s games with LED Bluetooth Dice.

doingitwrong has issued a correction as of 13:07 on Jan 14, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What's this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

looks like a gif of someone drawing a line in the sand

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

doingitwrong posted:

https://www.pixels-dice.com/
Play Satan’s games with LED Bluetooth Dice.

this is kinda pretty honestly but why is it bluetooth, just because you can't put a physical power switch on it?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Biplane posted:

Have to say, this Satan guy? Big fan.

You gotta hand it to him

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ben shapiro fingering

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Bitcoin Astrologer.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-crypto-currencies-astrology/when-to-trade-bitcoin-when-saturn-crosses-mercury-of-course-idUSKBN29J0JX

quote:

“I see some favourable indicators at the end of the month and especially February and early March,” said Altman, whose readings of bitcoin’s astrology charts are based on the date for the coin’s genesis block, the equivalent of its birthday.

“However getting into mid-March, I see a big correction. Mid-April is also really less optimistic. May is bullish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i mean, is it any more ridiculous than everything else to do with bitcoin