Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Dutch parliament seems to be outdoing the Tories in the Poorcrusher Olympics today, and the coalition looks likely to collapse under the weight of Pure Centrism. Literally extorting poor people because Computer Say So

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/dutch-government-faces-collapse-over-child-benefits-scandal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tsietisin posted:

It's utterly crazy how the London house prices have spiralled.
Not really, when you consider it's being used as an investment pool for the UAE and Russian oligarchs. If you can buy a flat for 600k and rent it to people insane enough to pay London rent, it's not about that 600k - it's about storing that 600k in an investment that pays out two ways - once a month, and a sweet bonus when you finally sell it.

Landlording needs to go, it's absolutely evil at every step.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

"Not letting children starve" seems to be a critical wedge issue in England.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
It does make me wonder if someone has weighed up the idea and said 'well if we keep distracting them with this, they'll complain about one other thing and we can keep using the line about Rashford being better opposition than Keir'.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Spangly A posted:

nah pre-june was just "hospitals only" so care homes/dying at home didn't count. There's a good amount of detailed anecdotal evidence of cases, often regarding minority women, not listened to and ending up dead before setting foot in the hospital - the guardian was running it as part of the ever-present motif of "arent these bad things sad, we will loving come for you if you try to stop the bad thing"
Huh, I definitely remember some debate about which measure to use & them going for the lower one, must have got the details wrong. Maybe I'm thinking of some other proposal at the same time, prolly something outlandish like "Covid mentioned on death certificate", idk

endlessmonotony posted:

Perfectly normal country

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

endlessmonotony posted:

I would guess (based on my own completely anecdotal experience with dickheads and their dickhead opinions) that there is a significant consensus that taking away dinners from poor kids is terribly bad, but also that said kids aren't properly poor because their parents all blow the food budget on 72" Audi Superking iPhones

Wachter fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 14, 2021

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

When I was younger my mum would skip meals so we could eat, and the tiny bit she got in benefits mostly went to paying off debts my dad had racked up on credit card bills. But we also had a telly so I guess we should have sold that so we could have paid the debt back quicker.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ended up picking up a copy of the Morning Star (a whopping 16 pages today for £1.20. A reason I don't buy it more often...) & there's a front page story about an old military barracks in Kent being used for refugees & obviously being horrendous: 14 people to a room despite COVID, 1 toilet & 1 shower between 34 people, multiple suicide attempts. Seems barbaric even by the standards of these things.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
lmao there is an election in a couple of months, doesn't it take labour an age to select new leaders?

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1349746930155446274

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Another distressed fishmonger. This one did vote brexit 'for the grandchildren'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55631622

quote:

A Welsh shellfish wholesaler says she is worried for her future after nearly £50,000 of lobsters, prawns and crabs were delayed for more than 30 hours on a lorry to Spain.

Nerys Edwards, her family and her parents before her have been sending live shellfish from Pembrokeshire to Spanish customers every week.

This month she has been experiencing how border rules - brought in as part of the UK's new relationship with the European Union - have impacted her business.

etc

This one is from the Hex-press Sept 2019:
hex/news/uk/1183363/brexit-news-no-deal-boris-johnson-wales-fisheries-nerys-edwards-syren-shellfish

quote:

Nerys Edwards of Syren Shellfish in Wales admitted to having already spent £40,000 to prepare her business for a no deal Brexit scenario. She said the extra burden on her company was unexpected as she did not imagine she would have to take on such an expense when she voted for Brexit in 2016. But asked whether she regretted voting to leave the EU in the 2016 referendum, she shocked the Channel 4 News reporter with a resounding and prompt “not at all”.

She added: “I knew when I voted Leave that it would directly affect my business, both my businesses - the farming and the shellfish.

“But I also believe that I am not the important person here.

“The whole nation is important so for the greater good is why I voted out.

“And for my grandchildren and their future, that’s why I voted out.”

Responding to Ms Edwards' comments, Brexit Party MEP Belinda De Lucy tweeted: "A running theme I’ve found with Brexiteers is how protecting democratic interests for future generations comes well before self interest.

“Truly heartening in this me, me, me culture of today.”

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's incredible how little thought these folks put into anything.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I love protecting the democratic interests of my grandchildren by voting for something they despise.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

lmao there is an election in a couple of months, doesn't it take labour an age to select new leaders?

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1349746930155446274

I'd say "nothing of value was lost" but they'll replace him with some gaping arsehole like Anus Sarwar & make us long for the glory days of Marxism-Leonardism.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

I'd say "nothing of value was lost" but they'll replace him with some gaping arsehole like Anus Sarwar & make us long for the glory days of Marxism-Leonardism.
Just before elections is the perfect time to quit then.

"Our leader might not be a steaming turd :smug:"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

They might have inside knowledge that the election has been delayed, which has been speculated by many.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Borrovan posted:

Just before elections is the perfect time to quit then.

"Our leader might not be a steaming turd :smug:"

Jackie Baillie enters.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I would celebrate but it's an absolute certainty his replacement will be worse

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Re: the developing Zero-covid campaign - I've been struck to see the right-wing press already gearing up to attack it, which I think is really interesting:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/01/14/lockdown-sceptics-have-one-last-chance-lead-covid-debate/

The Telegraph posted:

It is not difficult to see how a terrified population that has been fed guff about “defeating” the virus might be swayed by the Zero Covid argument. Particularly once they realise that “learning to live” with the disease once priority groups have been vaccinated still means accepting heightened vulnerability to mutations and Long Covid, with the endemic virus returning each year. It is also not hard to see how the Tories might see Zero Covid as the path of least resistance. Hyperparanoia about being booted out of office for letting the NHS fall over will increase the temptation to stamp out an unpredictable disease.

What does the thread think about this? Once the vaccinations are well underway, should we end restrictions and learn to live with Covid, or should we concentrate on vigorously eliminating it?

My own feeling is that learning to live with Covid is a false argument: as long as we're continually needing lockdowns due to rampant Covid, the economy's never going to recover.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

By "learn to live with it" they mean "learn to accept people dying of it once the deaths are economically insignificant"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I love protecting the democratic interests of my grandchildren by voting for something they despise.
If you really drilled down you'd probably find that they think a bit of hardship builds character, tough love etc.

Again, the cruelty is the point.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
surely this time they will find from the ranks of scottish labour a single charismatic figure who will turn the party around

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Straight off the heels of eradicating wild polio from Africa and successfully treating Hepatitis C, it's the 'we must learn to live with disease' crowd.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

surely this time they will find from the ranks of scottish labour a single charismatic figure who will turn the party around

gently caress charisma, I'd settle for the one lone principled figure in Scottish labour but alas, stumped again.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I'm genuinely surprised that UKIP still exists.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Re: the developing Zero-covid campaign - I've been struck to see the right-wing press already gearing up to attack it, which I think is really interesting:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/01/14/lockdown-sceptics-have-one-last-chance-lead-covid-debate/

What does the thread think about this? Once the vaccinations are well underway, should we end restrictions and learn to live with Covid, or should we concentrate on vigorously eliminating it?

My own feeling is that learning to live with Covid is a false argument: as long as we're continually needing lockdowns due to rampant Covid, the economy's never going to recover.

Personally would rather not accept 'living' with the virus, and just accepting any unknown long term health implications. Taiwan/NZ/Australia seem to have handled things best by locking down till until community transmission stops and being rigorous with quarantining international visitors. The only other option is be trapped in an endless cycle of lockdowns/Rishi's 2 for 1s, until the virus mutates so much that the existing vaccines don't work.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

It very likely will be Anis Sarwar who is hated, ergo the perfect choice for leader!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

It very likely will be Anis Sarwar who is hated, ergo the perfect choice for leader!

Was my MP for a wee while. Hate him with a fire passion, only became an MP because his dad had the seat before him, family's business has a well dodgy record on workers rights, gently caress 'em.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Another distressed fishmonger. This one did vote brexit 'for the grandchildren'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55631622

This one is from the Hex-press Sept 2019:
hex/news/uk/1183363/brexit-news-no-deal-boris-johnson-wales-fisheries-nerys-edwards-syren-shellfish

There's something deep within the British mind where people have internalised that "Suffering for a better future" means that any and all suffering is rewarded in the future. A big part of tory campaigning is just incredibly posh people saying "I'm going to make you suffer to make things better" and people buy it as common sense.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If you really drilled down you'd probably find that they think a bit of hardship builds character, tough love etc.

Again, the cruelty is the point.

No, this one simply thinks she knows better than her kids.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The paternalism is the point.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

You haven't identified the real issue. That there won't be anymore lockdowns and anyone over 50 or with comorbidities gets sent to 'special' 'treatment centres' that don't actually have doctors. You get put on a ventilator or CPAP and maybe you'll ride it out but if you crash you crash. This removes the one thing they couldn't ignore, hospitals being overwhelmed.

In such a scenario we might get 'lucky' in that a new industry begins with covid only medical teams and bing bong, covid is monetized.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Who's ready for a mental picture?

https://twitter.com/leftworks1/status/1349499282068566017

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
To the surprise of nobody, it seems that Boris hasn't read the Brexit trade deal: https://twitter.com/TheNewEuropean/status/1349750065670316032?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gottim!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'd like to see Boris J wiggle his way out of this jam!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
to be fair I bet it's insanely boring

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
"We didn't read it we just said "work on it" and then it was done"

loving Christ.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

This all depends on how well the vacines prevent transmission. This is something we don't know at the moment as the big studies were all focused on whether it prevents symptoms. This is for the oxford vaccine:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext#tbl2

lancet posted:

Asymptomatic infections or those with unreported symptoms were detected in 69 participants (table 2). Vaccine efficacy in the 24 LD/SD recipients was 58·9% (95% CI 1·0 to 82·9), whereas it was 3·8% (−72·4 to 46·3) in the 45 participants receiving SD/SD (table 2).

If the 3.8% is accurate then zero covid isn't going to happen any time soon.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

This all depends on how well the vacines prevent transmission. This is something we don't know at the moment as the big studies were all focused on whether it prevents symptoms. This is for the oxford vaccine:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext#tbl2

If the 3.8% is accurate then zero covid isn't going to happen any time soon.

That's not what zero covid is based on. You stop as much activity as possible for a month or so so that the number of unseen transmission is near 0 and then you heavily and effectively monitor and trace cases when they come back again including mandatory monitored quarantines for people travelling into the UK. You'll end up with a few hundred, may be a few thousand people being in quarantine while the rest of the country can meet socially with confidence again. You don't need vaccine immunity, you just have tiny amount of case numbers which are rapidly and effectively detected and stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

namesake posted:

That's not what zero covid is based on. You stop as much activity as possible for a month or so so that the number of unseen transmission is near 0 and then you heavily and effectively monitor and trace cases when they come back again including mandatory monitored quarantines for people travelling into the UK. You'll end up with a few hundred, may be a few thousand people being in quarantine while the rest of the country can meet socially with confidence again. You don't need vaccine immunity, you just have tiny amount of case numbers which are rapidly and effectively detected and stopped.

But ... but ... businesses won't make any money for a month! How can that be worth less than human lives?