Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Arcsquad12 posted:

That would be cool to encourage you to actually search a room or location using visual cues.

The problem is that since the game was designed around map markers, such visual cues might not exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Yeah. That would require rewriting every quest description & related dialogue to give the player proper directions. And work those directions into the level design. For example a sign with "Colonel Hsu's office this way" when you enter Camp McCarran. But also lots of unique, visually distinctive landmarks all over the place. That's a lot of work.
Also a sizeable portion of player would not pay enough attention for this. So after a dev invested a ton of resources into given directions without markers, they'd just get bombarded with people bitching at them because they can't find anything.

Rinkles posted:

Seeing a few CoD weapon rips on the nexus. Apparently Activition's okay with that? Is that true?
I can't find it, but maybe they give permission for their games' assets to be used in mods. Also the Nexus is somewhat arbitrary in how they enforce their own rules.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, so it's a mod that means the compass marker only appears when I'm right next to the objective? I thought that was just how it was designed, it's a bit annoying. And yeah, if the game was designed with some environmental cues to guide you to objectives or things like that it might work better, but like, in Vault 22 you need to find a keycard that's just sitting on a random rear end shelf somewhere. And when I was reading the wiki about the quests in there, apparently there was a common bug at release that meant that keycard just wasn't there sometimes.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 10, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So this looks like a cool mod, alters some minor story events to solve player gripes. https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/63870

Also has an optional module that gets rid of the "Don't Tread on the Bear" and "Beware the Wrath of Caesar" mods. Hmmmm

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

I prefer the idea of removing quest markers within a certain distance

That's essentially what the AC series (and many others) moved toward: you get directed toward either a radius or a more tightly-defined area. You know when you're in the area, but you have to use your eyes and brain once you get to the "zone".

Raygereio posted:

Yeah. That would require rewriting every quest description & related dialogue to give the player proper directions. And work those directions into the level design. For example a sign with "Colonel Hsu's office this way" when you enter Camp McCarran. But also lots of unique, visually distinctive landmarks all over the place. That's a lot of work.
It's a fair amount of work, but we did write all of the journal entries in Pillars and Deadfire to take the place of quest markers. I feel like it was successful overall.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 11, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rope kid posted:

That's essentially what the AC series (and many others) moved toward: you get directed toward either a radius or a more tightly-defined area. You know when you're in the area, but you have to use your eyes and brain once you get to the "zone".

Yeah, and once they've done that they also got advanced enough in graphics to add stuff like dynamic fog and HDR (aka, the blacks are really black.)

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Been playing viva new vegas via couch and bed with a controller. This mod is vnv friendly and adds a customizable realtime minimap. I've been roaming the lovely dried out nevada land with my pewpew laser pistol on hardcore/v.hard now.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/64596

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can anyone recommend a mod that adds more NPCs to the world without going insane? I'm currently running The Living Desert which is great for livening up the wasteland and I'm using Freeside Review which is downright amazing in how it changes the feel of the area, but I want a mod to add more regular NPCs around populated areas like the Strip and Freeside. I've used RePopulated Wasteland for years but it is buggy and extremely laggy, so im looking for something a bit more lightweight that does the same thing without all the feature bloat.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Is there a flashlight mod that's preferred? I'm planning on a pretty minimalist jsawyer run but I remembered that I hated the default light and its incredibly short range.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Holybat posted:

Is there a flashlight mod that's preferred? I'm planning on a pretty minimalist jsawyer run but I remembered that I hated the default light and its incredibly short range.

I'd recommend a mod to increase the pipboy range and a mod to fix the lighting issues with pipboy lights. The lighting engine simply doesn't handle flashlight-style lights well, unlike Fallout 4. Am in a bit of a hurry, will toss the link recommendations in an edit when I'm back home.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Holybat posted:

I'd recommend Dynamic Pipboy Light, potentially combined with Improved Lighting Shaders for an overall better lighting experience. DPL has a mod configuration menu and allows you to freely change the range, intensity, color and "activation timing" of your flashlight.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I got around to playing Russell, one of the Someguy mods.

It's actually really good, I'd almost say it's dev quality good. Russell can comment on lots of little areas around the Mojave which is a nice touch, and his questline is really good. Very Western fare, tracking a bounty through the Wastes, then coming upon a town that's hired the bounty to wipe out a local tribe that has been raiding and killing their people. Apparently there was originally supposed to be an option to choose which group you saved, the town or the tribe, but it got cut to save on development time. Aside from some excessive cursing (I don't mind some here and there but some characters it's every other word, kind of takes away from the enjoyment of it) the dialog is really good. The set pieces, especially Cholla Mountain, are fantastic.

Only two complaints are 1)It's buggy as heck. I needed to reload multiple times to get quest markers to activate and show me where to go, and several characters had broken dialog issues where they wouldn't update their dialog and it basically broke the quest until I used the console to move forward. Hendershot was really bad, as I couldn't advance past the part of his quest where I fought Tunnellers. 2nd) I'm sure it takes a tremendous amount of time to create a new world area, but I wish the Caruthyers Canyon at the end was a bit more built up. Maybe some little sidequests, more space. Still, it's all free, and I appreciate the effort.

Highly recommend.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So hey, Fallout: The Frontier comes out tomorrow, and I'm excited to give it a shot. I reinstalled New Vegas a while back, and was following the Viva New Vegas guide. I only got about halfway through it (finished the Visuals portion and stopped there). Because of that though, I'm wondering if any of those mods are going to conflict with The Frontier. I know it's not actually out yet, so nobody knows what kind of mod compatibility it has, but I thought maybe I'd post the mod list to see if something like the expanded LOD or whatnot would cause issues.

EDIT2: Oh, I forgot that it was also getting released on Steam. There's is also an Excel sheet outlining mod compatibility: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haLudyV-q4IXVu3jmJ_KjvF82CmsQDTIiyJXODHsdAs/edit#gid=0. However, it doesn't mention anything pertaining to LOD, so maybe I'll have to toggle that off.

But anyway, who's excited for it? It's been what feels like 4 years since it was announced, and I've wanted to play it since then.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 14, 2021

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I'm also looking forward to seeing The Frontier in action. Really interested to see how it will shape up like story and setting wise.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It will be interesting to see and like Arcsquad say's if all else fails it will be fun ramping a Deathclaw in a Sherman tank if it cannot impress anything else.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm excited for this mod to a Gamebryo engine game to have better car handling than Cyberpunk 2077

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I want to see this supposed argonian vault.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

So hey, Fallout: The Frontier comes out tomorrow, and I'm excited to give it a shot. I reinstalled New Vegas a while back, and was following the Viva New Vegas guide. I only got about halfway through it (finished the Visuals portion and stopped there). Because of that though, I'm wondering if any of those mods are going to conflict with The Frontier. I know it's not actually out yet, so nobody knows what kind of mod compatibility it has, but I thought maybe I'd post the mod list to see if something like the expanded LOD or whatnot would cause issues.

EDIT2: Oh, I forgot that it was also getting released on Steam. There's is also an Excel sheet outlining mod compatibility: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haLudyV-q4IXVu3jmJ_KjvF82CmsQDTIiyJXODHsdAs/edit#gid=0. However, it doesn't mention anything pertaining to LOD, so maybe I'll have to toggle that off.

But anyway, who's excited for it? It's been what feels like 4 years since it was announced, and I've wanted to play it since then.

this out yet? anyone got any thoughts

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If nothing else the vehicles are using gamebryo black magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcr8cDwuM7I

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dongicus posted:

this out yet? anyone got any thoughts

Literally just came out within the past ten minutes:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68009?tab=description

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Sure, we're going to need a time machine though to really give you the thoughts.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Good luck downloading it, Nexus is of course not well-equipped for this

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

It's also available on Steam. Though I hear if you want to do serious modding of it then get the Nexus version.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Namnesor posted:

Good luck downloading it, Nexus is of course not well-equipped for this

Well, unless you are a premium member.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, unless you are a premium member.

Premium status doesn't matter when the site itself is effectively down

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Proletarian Mango posted:

It's also available on Steam. Though I hear if you want to do serious modding of it then get the Nexus version.

Steam release got delayed by a bit unfortunately.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Namnesor posted:

Premium status doesn't matter when the site itself is effectively down

Woah, seriously?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Acebuckeye13 posted:

well?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

No one has been able to download it because Nexus is down

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well the file size is only 12 gigs more or less, thought it would be bigger.

That is it.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Skwirl posted:

No one has been able to download it because Nexus is down

smdh.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well the file size is only 12 gigs more or less, thought it would be bigger.

That is it.

Isn't an install of the whole game something like 20GB? A 12GB mod is pretty dang substantial.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

geeko55 posted:

Isn't an install of the whole game something like 20GB? A 12GB mod is pretty dang substantial.

I know I thought due to ye olde modder bloat it would be a bigger TC.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm in the process of downloading it right now because I managed to start the second the mod went up and before Nexus crashed :v:

Still got at least two hours before it'll be completely downloaded though.

geeko55 posted:

I just reinstalled New Vegas for the mod and Steam had me download a hair under 8GB, so the mod is actually bigger than the base game.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Bogart posted:

Also, I don't like the Viva New Vegas' offered ini at all. Better to download the blank one and edit to your satisfaction.

Anyone happen to have Lombard Station and LPAM? Seems the mega links in the OP have finally bit the dust.

I don't have LPAM but I had Lombard Station sitting around.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rya0bm04y63c9ya/FNV%20-%20Lombard%20Station.zip?dl=0

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If you get Lombard Station, make sure to get the 20ga ammo fix King of Swag whipped up a while back:

The King of Swag posted:

I've done a little experimenting and found that it doesn't occur when I sort, only when I stock the ammo. I also tried sorting and stocking different calibers separately. I've found that including 20 gauge 3/0 buck (from the Gun Runners Arsenal DLC) to be sorted with the other calibers causes the bug, but it doesn't happen at all if I don't include it. I don't know if this bug also occurs with regular 20 gauge buck, as I don't have any on hand to try it with.

I'm terrible at experimenting; looking at the code shows that the values used for most of the 20 gauge ammo types are wrong. The sorting system is grabbing 24 shells at a time, but only placing 12 on the shelf, effectively halving your stock of 20 gauge shells.

===== Fix Added =====
Lombard Station - Ammo Sorting Fix
Replace Lombard Station.esp and Lombard Station - Gun Runners Arsenal.esp (if you have this DLC) with the downloaded files.

It took me way too long to fix this; finding the bug in Lombard Station was the easy part, and boiled down to finding and changing values in a couple scripts. What took so long was that I didn't realize that you can't make patches for .esp files, only .esm files. This meant that none of my changes were actually saved by the GECK, so I've been chasing my tail trying to figure out why my fix wasn't working.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Balls, I misplaced my older NV character saves. Guess I might need to roll a new character for The Frontier then.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315940317092249601/799782004291010600/Fallout_-_The_Frontier.7z.torrent

Torrent for the mod if anyone wants, taken straight from the frontier's discord. Doesn't include the hotpatch that was just released on the Nexus, get that.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68009?tab=files

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i've never downloaded a mod from the steam store page before. if i grab the frontier when it comes out will it just work without me having to install half a dozen other things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Farm Frenzy posted:

i've never downloaded a mod from the steam store page before. if i grab the frontier when it comes out will it just work without me having to install half a dozen other things?

I heard in a video that the Steam page version should include everything you need. Have not confirmed myself.