Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Jingjing_Li/status/1348949906967314432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
So the guy means "that must hurt" but gets it wrong in his snide tweet?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

lol

Rabelais D posted:

So the guy means "that must hurt" but gets it wrong in his snide tweet?
I feel embarrassed for you

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Oh poo poo oh gently caress, someone who speaks English as a second language doesn't have perfect grammar! Owned.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Tsai Ing-Wen's english is not that good either, despite her name. So Chinese grammar works.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Doesn't even sound wrong?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sincx posted:

Peaceful reunification went up in smoke with Tsai's election, which then resulted in the PRC's policy changes. Why would the PRC continue implementing policies that are invigorating and enriching its opponents?

lol A-bian's presidency was a hell of alot more radical than Tsai in what they wanted to do

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

GoutPatrol posted:

lol A-bian's presidency was a hell of alot more radical than Tsai in what they wanted to do

Hence he got kicked into the garbage dump. You think he could have been sent to jail without US giving the go-ahead?

What US really want out of the Taiwan politic, is a competitive 2-party system with healthy alternate ruling parties. That's the how US can leverage and maximize influence. But US in recent years went away with that playbook and let DPP systematically destroyed KMT, there is no more 2-party competition.

It's going to be hard for US to steer DPP to do things since DPP is not in danger of losing the election in 24. Recently DPP has been intentionally leaking the secret US Marine and CIA visits to play up the US-Taiwan relationship. This is essentially holding the US pacific defense strategic hostage and push US to the front line in the cross-strait confrontation.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Jan 14, 2021

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Desperately making fun of the grammar in a chinese mans twitter shitpost as the west burns down

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
The grammar isn't even wrong in the sense that "that hurts" is often employed by native English speakers in informal conversations (such as twitter.com)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The king takes no prisoners.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
https://twitter.com/TheDailyMao/status/1349807860830490625?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im undergoing quarantine for covid19 in south korea and holy hell the rules here are idiotic i no longer believe this countrys low covid rate has anything to do with administrative competence

so first of all i dont have covid im just isolating because i returned from overseas and for the most part this is voluntary there arent actually any enforcement mechanisms i dont have the app on my phone because no one could figure out how to install it but even if i did i could just like not take the phone with me when i leave

i ended up being forced out of my place because it wasnt considered quarantine appropriate since i didnt have a kitchen sink apparently this is a bigger issue than i realized a lot of people getting hosed onto exorbitant hotel fees because they have to isolate at a hotel for two weeks for not being able to afford better housing its especially bad at communal housing since one positive test forces everyone into isolation even though they have private rooms and people are no more likely to break social distance there than they are at a normal apartment building

now im at the end of quarantine and have discovered all these draconian measures were just tossed out the window because in addition to having to come to the testing center myself for the final test which necessitated either walking a full kilometer by myself or taking public transport there are several dozen people here in close quarters in the waiting area

basically if any of us actually had covid these testing sites would be superspreader events i think whats going on is that the rates are so low most of whats done in terms of testing doesnt actually matter and the policy at this point is to give the impression that the government is doing something the real important stuff is the contact tracing bans on high density businesses and south korea basically being an island all this tertiary testing of healthy people cant possibly be useful and i dont believe for a minute theyd be clumping us together like this if any of us had symptoms

i doubt very much I'm the first person to have made this observation and i suspect this might be a factor for why moons approval ratings have been so awful lately

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
speaking of south korea, the Shincheonji founder who ran the superspreader event from last year was acquitted (he's still going to jail on account of embezzling $5.4 million from his church lmao)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i mean the uk and hawaii are islands and look at their covid rates spiraling out of control

an island is advantageous but not invincible

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

comedyblissoption posted:

i mean the uk and hawaii are islands and look at their covid rates spiraling out of control

should've closed the ports

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

Japan is steadily losing its handle on the virus as well. Although, it's not really comparable to where the UK is at

The peak in January is at around 7800 cases

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i do feel kind of silly dumping on the south korea covid policy because however you look at it their worst days are like five hundred people and with so much testing this number is almost certainly correct

i just doubt that the technocratic policies which have gotten all the praise in the english language press are responsible for that because ive seen firsthand how theyre useless at best and harmful at worst despite probably being by far the most expensive

like it took them months to come up with the idea of closing down the nightclubs but the libraries were shut off right away even for returns its always been a super arbitrary policy and theres been little apparent correlation between the threat levels and the actual infection rate

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Walking 1 km is not big deal. It's unlikely to spread in outdoor setting. I walk my kid 2-3 km every day. And I can't make him wear a mask.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

now im at the end of quarantine and have discovered all these draconian measures were just tossed out the window because in addition to having to come to the testing center myself for the final test which necessitated either walking a full kilometer by myself or taking public transport there are several dozen people here in close quarters in the waiting area

How long was the quarantine? If you're locked in a box for two weeks it's supremely unlikely that you'd still be contagious after the period for the final test. That might relatively be the safest crowd you'll get for a while.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it was which is why i honestly dont get why theyre bothering to test us at all maybe they think we were secretly breaking quarantine and lying on our symptom checks but then why trust us to get to the test site on our own power

note that the other people at the testing site probably werent all in my situation given that there were so many of us we had to wait an hour apiece

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

it was which is why i honestly dont get why theyre bothering to test us at all maybe they think we were secretly breaking quarantine and lying on our symptom checks but then why trust us to get to the test site on our own power

note that the other people at the testing site probably werent all in my situation given that there were so many of us we had to wait an hour apiece

There are some rare case of people who didn't show symptoms until 10-15 days into the quarantine. You can't take that chance for countries that already have low infection.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nicholastrad/status/1350114804187484160

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the United States has 3% of the world's population and has tried to become the dominant and permanent power on the globe. how long can the political and cultural grasp of 3% of the world really determine the fate of politics on a globe of almost 8 billion? however big the US navy is, what's the long term goal?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

and by that i mean not the 3% of the world that is the United States population, but the infinitesimal small amount of elites at the top driving policy, and pretending to be the masters of the universe

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
new chinese music military video time. this one is better than usual because of the cool kicks and flamethrowers and explosions. no flaming hula hoops though (which is how know you've found a really good one, but this is still good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsl50qz2Qm8

THS
Sep 15, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

new chinese music military video time. this one is better than usual because of the cool kicks and flamethrowers and explosions. no flaming hula hoops though (which is how know you've found a really good one, but this is still good)

lol they would kick our rear end in a war in the strait.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I demand links.

THS posted:

Quite likely, but looking at all those scenes of soldiers dramatically and tearfully leaving their family I can't help but remember that the PLA has been a peacetime army for what? 40 years?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

genericnick posted:

Quite likely, but looking at all those scenes of soldiers dramatically and tearfully leaving their family I can't help but remember that the PLA has been a peacetime army for what? 40 years?

the United States has been a peacetime army since 1945 and only kicking the poo poo in on farmers and baathists

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

THS posted:

the United States has 3% of the world's population and has tried to become the dominant and permanent power on the globe. how long can the political and cultural grasp of 3% of the world really determine the fate of politics on a globe of almost 8 billion? however big the US navy is, what's the long term goal?

1. the US is at least 4% of the world's pop, in other words you underestimated by at least 25%
2. the US was the undisputed dominant power since the early 90s, it's not trying to become it
3. the US is not a totalitarian dictatorship enforcing its whims against 95% of humans outside its territory. it treats its own citizens like poo poo anyway.

The US positioned itself as the head of 'the free world' which meant and means global capital. its navy works to protect many nations beyond just the US, in a real sense. it is a hegemon and enforces the current world order on behalf the interests of its elite but that order is sufficient for elites in many countries. you can see that those who do not submit to that world order and offer any alternative (china) or development outside of it (Iran, North Korea, Venezuela) have to be punished. For most nations the world order being put into total disarray by the '3% population USA' being taken out is not really viable until suddenly an alternative shows up, and there will be a great realightment - or if things disintegrate an anarchy, which might help some but not the elite in most countries - who were put there by working within the US hegemony global system of trade and power.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

sorry i meant that 4% and not 3% were part of the earth’s most insane colonial enterprise

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

there's a nice subliminal flash of the party flag at 1:03. watch closely. this is the actual image:

that one is also interesting because it's a recruitment ad. this one from last year is a lot more wolf warrior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOWRembdPS8

around 1:05 is when it gets good because one of the soldiers charges directly into enemy machine gun fire as the narrator says "we use our lives to fulfill our duties," which is one hell of a way to recruit people into the army. the U.S. military tends to say "jumpstart your career." also the sirens in the background sound like old-school brass and copper signal horns (mk.1 mouth-powered) they would use in the 40s and 50s to announce a charge, which i doubt they actually still use now.

genericnick posted:

I demand links.

i can't remember any specific ones but i'll keep a lookout

yeah. well, it's unpredictable. combat is like closing your eyes and walking across a highway as cars are zipping down it. it comes down to how well you've been trained whether you freeze up and panic or not the first time you get shot at for real. i think the PLA has been a parade army for so long but under xi they've been pushing reforms, more realistic exercises, and this emphasis on the "will to fight," and these videos emphasize that at least

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 13:01 on Jan 16, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I should say it is an insane totalitarian dictatorship, yes, but not in the sense of 3% (Americans) controlling the lives of 97% (everyone else). but it is in the sense of global capital being 1% or less controlling the lives of everyone else under the, for the time being, tolerable dictatorship of the US's elite

you really can't compare nations as their populations like that unless it's total war or something, even then idk

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The BRI more or less showed an alternative system is already there and much of it is simply going to come down to a combination of raw economic might which will eventually (and has already) flow into political/diplomatic/military power. The issue is the world never really had two metropoles of such equal economic caliber. The Soviet Union during the late 1940s until the 1970s was giving the US a run for its money but it is clear that the Soviets had to pull every inch of their resources to compete, but the current US-Chinese rivalry is much closer.

It is also why countries that used to fall in the US orbit (the EU, much of SEA) are gradually negotiating a better bargaining position for themselves.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Antonymous posted:

I should say it is an insane totalitarian dictatorship, yes, but not in the sense of 3% (Americans) controlling the lives of 97% (everyone else). but it is in the sense of global capital being 1% or less controlling the lives of everyone else under the, for the time being, tolerable dictatorship of the US's elite

you really can't compare nations as their populations like that unless it's total war or something, even then idk

obviously 3% of the world does not actually control the lives of 97%, but a lot of liberals and US conservatives strut around and have illusions like they do.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

THS posted:

the US's own military analysis basically concludes this, according to Chas Freeman, Nixon's interpreter during his trip to China

check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrpU9kroOFU&t=670s

"every wargame, every scenario that we played with a war over Taiwan has had the United States losing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

how well does an aircraft carrier stand up to hundreds of simultaneous supersonic surface to sea missiles? are the Phalanx cannons gonna shoot them all down? it's just a loving joke, and that's why there's only one american aircraft carrier in the gulf right now. they know it's a paper tiger.