Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, uh, is there a reply feature like the past several iterations that I just can't find?

I've made a couple stellarly bad landings I've wanted to replay but have no way to do it that I can find :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
With the hotas setup I've been trying to land in the cockpit and touching down is breaking my brain. In third person it's easy to get where the ground is relative to the plane, when to flare, when it's safe to break, etc. It makes me feel like a kid trying to drive a car who can just barely look over the dash.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

slidebite posted:

So, uh, is there a reply feature like the past several iterations that I just can't find?

The MFS development roadmap lists the replay feature as still in "prototype" - planned for relase sometime this year.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mailer posted:

With the hotas setup I've been trying to land in the cockpit and touching down is breaking my brain. In third person it's easy to get where the ground is relative to the plane, when to flare, when it's safe to break, etc. It makes me feel like a kid trying to drive a car who can just barely look over the dash.

You can bind a hotkey to the "Landing View" (I forget what it's called exactly) mode that puts you slightly forward, which should help seeing the ground, if the problem is not being able to see far past the dashboard. There's also a key (I think bound to the spacebar?) for raising your view a bit, which really helps see the ground.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sebastian Flyte posted:

The MFS development roadmap lists the replay feature as still in "prototype" - planned for relase sometime this year.

Oh OK. At least I know I'm not just missing it :downs:

Thanks!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mailer posted:

You shouldn’t be looking at the ground anyway. When you learn to land, you’re building a mental sight picture of what it looks like when the airplane is say, 10-15ft off the runway. Then you flare, pull the power all the way back, and let the aircraft settle onto the runway. Kindof like shooting a rifle, touchdown should surprise you rather than being sought out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

First thing you should do is hit spacebar to move your viewpoint up so you can see the top of the cowling (assuming this is one of the piston singles). That's where you're supposed to be in real life; if you aren't there you adjust the seat or sit on a cushion because it is vastly easier to land when you can see over the nose. FS starts you out lower to make it easier to see the instruments, I guess, but default view should be the higher one IMO.

When you are on approach, the first thing is to stabilize your airspeed. Set the power appropriately (perhaps 1500 RPM in the 152/172) and pitch the plane to hold the correct approach speed, then trim it. Now choose the point you want to touch down, say the piano keys, put that right on your sight line*, and keep that point motionless relative to the frame of the windshield. Since you're holding pitch to control airspeed, you need to adjust power to keep this touchdown point stable in the windshield. If it slides upwards (meaning you are coming in short), add power; if it sinks below the windshield, reduce power.

This may all be familiar to you but I say it because a good landing starts with a good stable approach.

You should now be set up and trimmed up so that if you do nothing, the plane will fly itself right to the touchdown point and pancake into the runway there. To prevent this, you start the flare right as you enter ground effect, which is about one wingspan's width from the surface; that you'll just have to get a sense for. As you flare, stop looking at the touchdown point and instead look at the end of the runway. Pull the nose up and put the top of the cowl on the horizon or just a little above (again, some trial and error until you get the right feel) and keep looking down the runway , keeping the plane centered, and holding the nose high. And just wait there. The airplane will bleed off speed, requiring more and more aft stick/yoke to keep the nose up, so keep pulling back and holding the nose steady. If you didn't come in too fast or flare too high, in a few seconds the plane will settle down with a bump. Don't stop! Keep holding the nose on the horizon until your yoke is out of travel and then let the nosewheel down. This gives you maximum aerodynamic braking and the smallest jolt to the nosewheel. Keep the yoke back all the way and brake. You're done.

*to be technical, if you are trying to land on a point you need to aim a little bit before it. The flare and round-out give you an extra bit of floating down the runway before the wheels touch. So to land on the piano keys, your aiming point might be a few hundred feet before that, in the displaced threshold or even off the end of the pavement. But when you're learning to land, floating for a while is fine, and much better than coming up short of the runway or hammering the wheels into the ground.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What's a good source for FS2020 news? Google search gives me mostly lovely SEO sites, and Avsim sucks.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mokotow posted:

What's a good source for FS2020 news? Google search gives me mostly lovely SEO sites, and Avsim sucks.

If you're mostly looking for general state of the sim/dev update stuff, they do a monthly-ish Q&A video on the official youtube channel. Seems like everyone else putting out news usually just pulls from that and maybe tosses in some third-party plane announcements.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mokotow posted:

I like https://fselite.net/

It has stuff for other flight sims, but this website has helped me not miss any big development updates I'd be interested in for third party stuff.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks! I’m looking for dev progress mostly on new airframes, that fits the bill.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The latest SteamVR beta makes MSFS more bearable, because you can change the frame throttling behavior.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/my-2070-super-vr-settings-and-suggestions-index-steamvr/321913/371

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

DC Designs is gonna release their F-15 in roughly two weeks, as stand-alone because the MSFS store takes a while. And they're working on a F-22, too. Neat.

Definitely do want the F-22.

I have been wanting military jets in Microsoft Flight Sim 2020. Very excited for this and will buy both.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder if it'll be as hilariously OP as the F-22 in Prepar3D, which can climb to 60,000 feet in like 90 seconds supersonic the entire way

Also I don't really see the point in putting hyper-modern military jets in a civilian study sim because (1) none of the weapons and sensors will be implemented and (2) all the systems and interfaces will be best guesses anyway but to each their own.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

i wonder if it'll be as hilariously OP as the F-22 in Prepar3D, which can climb to 60,000 feet in like 90 seconds supersonic the entire way

Also I don't really see the point in putting hyper-modern military jets in a civilian study sim because (1) none of the weapons and sensors will be implemented and (2) all the systems and interfaces will be best guesses anyway but to each their own.

Worse than that as MSFS cant do supersonic flight yet, so the speed of the F-15 and F-22 will be subsonic until MS updates the flight model... whenever that is...

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Getting increasingly depressed that it seems like I'll not be able to get a new video card for months. The goddamn 3080 came out in September and its still having supply issues...same with the 70 and 60.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

People want to zoom. I'd take a T6 Texan II or similar trainer though over a full mil bird.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I think the only jet on the Marketplace is an Italian-made miljet trainer? I forget the exact model, though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

soggybagel posted:

Getting increasingly depressed that it seems like I'll not be able to get a new video card for months. The goddamn 3080 came out in September and its still having supply issues...same with the 70 and 60.

drat, still? Sorry, that blows :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, it'll definitely be a while before graphics cards are widely available from major retailers again. And on ebay, prices are around $1400 to $1500 right now for a 3080, which is worse than what it was a month or two ago. The bitcoin surge happening right now is catastrophically bad timing for the video card market. At this point I legitimately feel like, unless you get lucky, you won't be able to get a 3080 (or whatever nvidia replaces it with) for under $1k until 2021.

Zen 3 availability seems better off in comparison. New drops on amazon are now lasting long enough before selling out to make it relatively easy to get one if you're paying attention. I recommend signing up to one of the services that send you a phone notification when stock becomes available, like this site: https://www.stockinformer.com/checker-amd-ryzen-5000-cpu-zen-3

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I did the stupidest thing I could have ever done last year and upgraded my CPU and motherboard to play Flight Sim when apparently I should have just waited to buy a 3070 premade system.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

zedprime posted:

I did the stupidest thing I could have ever done last year and upgraded my CPU and motherboard to play Flight Sim when apparently I should have just waited to buy a 3070 premade system.

Same here....well the part where this summer I build a PC for the first time in 15 years assuming the supply chain would be okay to get a new video card by Christmas.

Just as a note if anyone is looking for a new videocard, Newegg on twitter yesterday teased some sort of new system which. most people have taken as they are going to create a basic queue system which is what every retailer should do anyways. But thats the assumption. So hopefully I'll be able to just hop in some sort of line. I have no problem waiting, but the current systems just mean any card gets sniped by a bot immediately.

Here's to getting a throttle quadrant and a new video card by August!

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 14, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Same here....well the part where this summer I build a PC for the first time in 15 years assuming the supply chain would be okay to get a new video card by Christmas.

Just as a note if anyone is looking for a new videocard, Newegg on twitter yesterday teased some sort of new system which. most people have taken as they are going to create a basic queue system which is what every retailer should do anyways. But thats the assumption. So hopefully I'll be able to just hop in some sort of line. I have no problem waiting, but the current systems just mean any card gets sniped by a bot immediately.

Here's to getting a throttle quadrant and a new video card by August!

EVGA has this queue as well, but god knows if you join now it could be awhile. I have a friend who is signed up for their Step-Up program and did so about a week after the 3080 launch and hasn't stepped up. I joined the queue sometime mid-October and haven't heard anything either.

My jerk friend who had a box that was almost five years old otherwise decided to buy a new premade box and he's the first guy I know to get a 30xx. And he's out there using it for fun instead of serious simulation games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

zedprime posted:

Honestly yes. I started making piecemeal upgrades just prior to FS2020's launch under the assumption that I'd be able to buy a new graphics card and CPU when those came out and, lol, joke was on me I guess. Shoulda just waited and bought a $2000 alienware or some poo poo. At least now I finally got a new Ryzen which has boosted my FS performance a decent amount (though my VR performance is still rear end).

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

EVGA has this queue as well, but god knows if you join now it could be awhile. I have a friend who is signed up for their Step-Up program and did so about a week after the 3080 launch and hasn't stepped up. I joined the queue sometime mid-October and haven't heard anything either.

My jerk friend who had a box that was almost five years old otherwise decided to buy a new premade box and he's the first guy I know to get a 30xx. And he's out there using it for fun instead of serious simulation games.

I joined the EVGA Queue back in I think October as well and haven't heard anything.

I knew the video card would be hard to come by but I honestly and stupidly assumed we'd see more trickle into the marketplace by Christmas. I was wrong.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

soggybagel posted:

I joined the EVGA Queue back in I think October as well and haven't heard anything.

I knew the video card would be hard to come by but I honestly and stupidly assumed we'd see more trickle into the marketplace by Christmas. I was wrong.

Yeah I had figured there would be an acceleration to the launch but boy howdy that does not seem to be the case, at least functionally.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
IIRC there's a shortage of components world-wide.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Knowing newegg they'll implement a queue system and then only let you queue up for combos where the card comes bundled with some RAM you don't need and a random hard drive.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Knowing newegg they'll implement a queue system and then only let you queue up for combos where the card comes bundled with some RAM you don't need and a random hard drive.

Yeah it’s really lovely what they’re doing. I don’t need another goddamn power supply.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

skooma512 posted:

IIRC there's a shortage of components world-wide.

Yeah, something happened in 2020 that caused production of electronics components to suddenly stop.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Combat Pretzel posted:

The latest SteamVR beta makes MSFS more bearable, because you can change the frame throttling behavior.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/my-2070-super-vr-settings-and-suggestions-index-steamvr/321913/371

Definitely going to have to check this out.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, something happened in 2020 that caused production of electronics components to suddenly stop.

Don't be silly. China easily beat the virus almost a year ago and everything there is fine now. Just ask them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Sagebrush posted:

Because it looks awesome!

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
I just got back into flightsimming and I'm about halfway through a around the world tour with the DA40NGX mod.
FS2020 is really pulling me in, but my 15 year old x52 is letting me down. Looking at some flight sim rigs people have made me realize two things. Fight sim goons are on par with train goons and I need more switches.

Rot posted:

Not nearly as realistic as the RealSimGear stuff but definitely not nearly as expensive (I paid less than $100 CDN), is to use a midi controller like the X-Touch Mini and an app like AxisAndOhs.

Thanks. I've been looking at all kinds of flight sim accessories and that looks better than some of the professional gear.

soggybagel posted:

They're out there, dont give up. I got a 3080 yesterday. I had the best luck using the newegg app. I saw 3 3090s and one other 3080 this week. I haven't seen a 3070 or 3060 available yet though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

2Jets posted:

They're out there, dont give up. I got a 3080 yesterday. I had the best luck using the newegg app. I saw 3 3090s and one other 3080 this week. I haven't seen a 3070 or 3060 available yet though.

What's your process for checking? And was it a 3080 on its own or part of a combo?

I've seen a handful of honest people lucking into a 30x card but I never understood how.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 15, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

2Jets posted:

I just got back into flightsimming and I'm about halfway through a around the world tour with the DA40NGX mod.
FS2020 is really pulling me in, but my 15 year old x52 is letting me down. Looking at some flight sim rigs people have made me realize two things. Fight sim goons are on par with train goons and I need more switches.

Thanks. I've been looking at all kinds of flight sim accessories and that looks better than some of the professional gear.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What's your process for checking? And was it a 3080 on its own or part of a combo?

There's probably a thread for this somewhere else but I'd be interested to know too. I really don't want to have to set up a ton of stuff just to get a card, but if there's something easy to set up that would give me a shot at grabbing one early, I'd be interested. (To be fair, I have heard that some of the stock tracking things aren't difficult to set up but I assumed it was hopeless anyway.)

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

2Jets posted:

Since the 3070 launched I've had that card multiple times in my checkout basket but everytime its errored out and then on the refresh they're sold out. I kind of gave up after a while and am just going to wait and if i'm online when a drop happens so be it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I joined a discord called Space Tech, and there's a channel called "notification settings" where you can click on different emotes to be notified when it thinks certain products are in stock, I used it to get a Ryzen 5800X today.

https://discord.gg/sczgfMS6nS

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I got weirdly lucky in November/December. Got a 3080 by finding a place that actually had a queue and regularly updated, then picked the least popular (slightly more expensive) EVGA model. Took four days. The 5600X took about seven days. Running bots and joining discords and engaging in secret rituals just to buy what should be commodity hardware is lame as hell. It's easily the most expensive computer I've ever put together but not having a gaming machine for two and a half months during a pandemic kind of warranted the purchase and I'd probably still be in line for a less expensive video card.

Now I crash land at a much better framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FunOne posted:

People want to zoom. I'd take a T6 Texan II or similar trainer though over a full mil bird.

I just want more old poo poo with steam gauges and more seaplanes. Please give me a 737-200 and a DHC-2 and a Catalina and an Electra and an old lovely Baron with an attitude indicator that's never centered and half the avionics INOP