Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The one thing COVID-19 did for me was help me save money by not going to restaurants. I don't do that much takeout either except for wings during NFL game days, and even now with playoffs that's cut down. Combined with my choice to redo my nutrition back in February I've actually lost weight during this pandemic. :unsmith:

That said, whenif things get back to normal I'm likely getting back on that #thisiswhyyourefat life. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

We did build a Louisiana Publix. It was called Rouse's and it was the greatest grocery store on earth until the owner turned out to be a fascist and now it's dead (to me)

Close but the Publix Key Lime Pie is the best ever.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Silly Burrito posted:

Close but the Publix Key Lime Pie is the best ever.

The Mango Key Lime Pie is even better

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have said it before, but the best thing I did was buy a projector and portable speaker system. It has become an almost weekly thing where we gather at a friends house and project a movie or football game onto the sode of the house or the screen I bought (doesn't work well in the wind though!). People just bring their lawn or camping chairs and we just set up a table for pizza or whatever. The best night was when we live streamed TransSiberian Orchestra concert before Christmas. This has been such a great thing to allow safe social interaction, even the neighbors upstairs who are eldery participate because they feel safe doing that. Last week we watched Soul which was great.

I highly recommend doing that, but I understand a lot of people live in areas where outside isn't really an option right now. The thing I do miss is going to movie theaters, but even that has been mitigated by the shortage of movies hitting theaters so its not like I am missing out. I think the thing I will be most thankful for is the disappearance of hypervigilance. Its like being in an OR all the time where you need to be aware not just of your own actions and behavior but also the behavior of others. At least in an OR you have the authority to kick someone out if they are breaking protocol purposefully and it would impact their employment. So I have the same hypervigilance in a grocery store but without the power to do anything about it. I can't wait to thoughtlessly walk into the store to buy something and walk out without being on alert the whole time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I dated enough indie rock girls in college to put me off the Decemberists forever, doesn’t help I grew up right near Tarkio and otherwise spent most my time in Oregon so I’ve been subject to the Colin Meloy experience for a real long time. Nothing against them I guess, but man I got tired of their schtick.

Hahaha fair enough. I experienced them from across the country with no huge cultural presence here, so I didn’t hit that saturation point.

I still throw on the Picaresque LP pretty frequently.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

GD_American posted:

The Mango Key Lime Pie is even better

No it isn't. And the strawberry key lime pie is bad too.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

swickles posted:

I have said it before, but the best thing I did was buy a projector and portable speaker system. It has become an almost weekly thing where we gather at a friends house and project a movie or football game onto the sode of the house or the screen I bought (doesn't work well in the wind though!). People just bring their lawn or camping chairs and we just set up a table for pizza or whatever. The best night was when we live streamed TransSiberian Orchestra concert before Christmas. This has been such a great thing to allow safe social interaction, even the neighbors upstairs who are eldery participate because they feel safe doing that. Last week we watched Soul which was great.

I highly recommend doing that, but I understand a lot of people live in areas where outside isn't really an option right now. The thing I do miss is going to movie theaters, but even that has been mitigated by the shortage of movies hitting theaters so its not like I am missing out. I think the thing I will be most thankful for is the disappearance of hypervigilance. Its like being in an OR all the time where you need to be aware not just of your own actions and behavior but also the behavior of others. At least in an OR you have the authority to kick someone out if they are breaking protocol purposefully and it would impact their employment. So I have the same hypervigilance in a grocery store but without the power to do anything about it. I can't wait to thoughtlessly walk into the store to buy something and walk out without being on alert the whole time.

Fortunately weather in Chicago hasn't been too bad, so we've had board games outside almost weekly with a couple people. We set up basically a street fair vendor type tent, but with two sides open to maintain airflow but brace against the wind depending upon direction. Put space heater under the table. Been manageable down to around 30 degrees so far.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Weirdly I miss going to work, even with a 1 hour commute that spanned a 10 min drive, 40 min train ride, and 15 min walk (like a lame triathlon). I struggle to do my work in isolation, it’s both hard and boring which is a brutal combo when you can’t swivel in your chair and ask coworkers questions etc.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Weirdly I miss going to work, even with a 1 hour commute that spanned a 10 min drive, 40 min train ride, and 15 min walk (like a lame triathlon). I struggle to do my work in isolation, it’s both hard and boring which is a brutal combo when you can’t swivel in your chair and ask coworkers questions etc.

I definitely miss being able to talk with coworkers about issues. Sometimes just talking about what you're working on can help you solve a problem. It's a lot different to call someone up and ask a question. I also haven't talked to like 90% of my coworkers because we're all working on different projects.

I do not miss my commute though, and I'm going to be really sad when I have to start driving to work again every day, and traffic comes back.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

:same:, there are benefits from wfh to be sure especially since I get to see my kids much more but boy do I miss my workspace and dual screen setup.

It's going to be so weird to commute on Metro again

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Intruder posted:

This wasn't amazon, friendo

Lowes doesn't have an app

They always email you. I order poo poo from Lowes weekly.

Fix your settings Karen!!!

(They ALWAYS leave me stuff at my front gate, which is about 100 yards from my front door, so I get your frustration)

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:
Everyday I was at work it was just "man I can't wait to go home" but it is so much easier asking for help with code in person than it is over the internet even with screen sharing, and I do miss that.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I even miss commuting on the metro. My stop is the first one on the line so I always got a seat (at least going into the city) and it was a nice 40 min to quietly read in the morning. I also liked people watching, being out in the world a bit, etc.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I even miss commuting on the metro. My stop is the first one on the line so I always got a seat (at least going into the city) and it was a nice 40 min to quietly read in the morning. I also liked people watching, being out in the world a bit, etc.

I feel that. I was just thinking today in the shower I really just want to go walk around down town for awhile, get a feel for the city in some way.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Braksgirl posted:

No it isn't. And the strawberry key lime pie is bad too.

No and yes.

I stay out of Publix bakery though. Too many lbs waiting to happen there, between the pies, the bread and the cannoli.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/marcellacomedy/status/1349472385884254209

A big ol :rip: to me

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah I miss going into the office bad. I like my team a lot. People are...more curt when communicating is mostly over email or IM. My commute was fairly short, but I got a lot of reading done on the train and I can't shut my brain off "work mode" while working at home so I have read one, maybe two books since COVID when it used to be close to one a week.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Sounds like you miss being outside and walking around moreso than just working in an office, outside of how much easier it is to get help etc.

I miss socializing but in no way shape or form do I miss the commute or the bullshit that goes along with it. I’ll never go back tbh

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
We've had pretty consistent wind gusts from like 50-70mph since last night and there's just trampolines and yard furniture and pieces of fence everywhere.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Trampolines? Was it a time traveling hurricane from 1996?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Amy Pole Her posted:

Trampolines? Was it a time traveling hurricane from 1996?

Kids still like trampolines in 2021!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Silly Burrito posted:

Only 90s kids remember jumping

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

It's true! Kids will forever love a trampoline.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Ahh now I'm remembering the guy jumping through the trampoline from a couple pages back

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

It's true! Kids will forever love a trampoline.

And now that trampoline parks are a thing, I can sit back and watch my kids have fun and then get dog tired after 15 minutes of bouncing around.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
So I got an email back on that job I've been interviewing for. She scheduled a call for tomorrow to "catch up", even though we talked a bit Monday.

I feel like this is maybe good news? If it were a "no" would she be scheduling a call to tell me that? I feel like it would just be a quick call or email saying they're not interested, if anything at all?

Trying not to get my hopes up and I'm assuming at best it'll be "we're still interested but we haven't made a decision yet"

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Amy Pole Her posted:

Sounds like you miss being outside and walking around moreso than just working in an office, outside of how much easier it is to get help etc.

I miss socializing but in no way shape or form do I miss the commute or the bullshit that goes along with it. I’ll never go back tbh

Ya it's this (for me) and I think a good chunk of commute missers will make it one week before hating it again. Walking around the block or on the trail a bit isn't the same as getting some coworkers together and walking around the office buildings but it aint worth losing an hour to driving and being forced to stack house chores either before/after hours and welp suddenly youre living for the weekend.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

Trampolines rule.

e:

Joey Freshwater posted:

So I got an email back on that job I've been interviewing for. She scheduled a call for tomorrow to "catch up", even though we talked a bit Monday.

I feel like this is maybe good news? If it were a "no" would she be scheduling a call to tell me that? I feel like it would just be a quick call or email saying they're not interested, if anything at all?

Trying not to get my hopes up and I'm assuming at best it'll be "we're still interested but we haven't made a decision yet"

She wants to talk about the fish pic.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

:same: as if dating wasn't enough of a train wreck before quarantine...

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Joey Freshwater posted:

Having gone through an insane amount of interviews a couple years back, I can solidly say that there's nothing you can read into this. So just sit back nervous as hell until it happens.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Joey Freshwater posted:

As long as they haven't ghosted you yet you're safely in the running.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

swickles posted:

We rented an entire theater for a hundred bucks and took the kids and some of their friends we've been kinda podding up with. Bonus, doesn't matter if they make noise!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

it's not a no -- they'd email you that. but also not necessarily a yes.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Free Bomber Crew game from Humble Bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/bomber-crew-free-game#checkout-section

loving great game that is hard as hell.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Master Stur posted:

Ya it's this (for me) and I think a good chunk of commute missers will make it one week before hating it again. Walking around the block or on the trail a bit isn't the same as getting some coworkers together and walking around the office buildings but it aint worth losing an hour to driving and being forced to stack house chores either before/after hours and welp suddenly youre living for the weekend.

I am sure I will be unhappy in either situation, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/DavidMizner/status/1349750267965820928?s=20

Democrats love dunking on themselves.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

I honestly thought a majority of those outdoor trampolines were litigated into oblivion because they were so dangerous

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

600 (already passed) + 1400 = 2000

vv lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

All the people tripping over their dicks saying "well 600 + 1400 = 2000!! He isn't breaking a campaign promise!" Can go gently caress themselves