Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Vince MechMahon posted:

How much are we going to stretch the definition of job here? Leo Krueger was a mercenary, that's technically a job.

I'd say any gimmick that is "I'm a ___" and that thing is a job counts. Mercenary/Big Game Hunter would count IMO, unless he's only a "wrestling mercenary" or his "big game" is other wrestlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Please protect my anxious Cowboy. He is precious to me.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Leo Kruger was just Kraven the Hunter and cut promos as such, but it’s not like they ever did a vignette of him hunting lions or whatever. Not sure if it counts as a “day job” gimmick.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Joey Janela only wrestlers part-time alongside his main job of selling weed to college kids

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Elias? Street busker is a job.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

I was on Wikipedia looking at the WWEs current roster to see if any current wrestlers are job gimmicks (btw yes: it's the fiend, who is canonically a children's talk show host) and whoever added the photos here seems to hate Charlotte because they picked the absolute worst photo of her I've ever seen.

I mean, that’s pretty much what she looks like now. It’s either that or use an old photo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tyler Breeze was a model, then a fashion cop. Fandango was a dancer, then a fashion cop.

My role model Dr. Britt Baker, DMD is a dentist and a wrestler.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Wouldn't Triple H count?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
If Triple H counts as "Evil Boss" then so should Kane from his Korporate Kane days.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Tyler Breeze was a model, then a fashion cop. Fandango was a dancer, then a fashion cop.

My role model Dr. Britt Baker, DMD is a dentist and a wrestler.

Does it count if the job isn't a gimmick?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I feel like they completely missed an opportunity with Charlotte by having her win the NXT title.

There was a great potential story there if they had her lose to Ripley out of arrogance and underestimating her, and having her be humbled and have to work from the bottom again to either win the NXT title or to build towards a win a year down the line against a called-up Ripley holding one of the main roster women’s belts. It would have worked great to eventually face turn Charlotte and legitimize Rhea Ripley out the gate.

Is Charlotte a tier above the divas-era women’s talent? Unquestionably. But in the time since the NXT women’s division became arguably one of the best in all of wrestling and what qualifies as outstanding talent in the past isn’t as special anymore.

But that would be long term storytelling and lol to expect that in WWE.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 14, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mean, that’s pretty much what she looks like now. It’s either that or use an old photo.

I haven't watched in ages but man, really? I figured this was just a combination of bad lighting, a weird angle, and a guy using a bad lens for the distance because this does not match my mental picture of her.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

woman ages shocker

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

woman ages shocker

I just looked up other pictures of her and while yes, she's aged a bit, that's still a very bad photo of her for pretty much every reason I listed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh great are we back to insulting a woman based on her looks? This is always fun

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

Oh great are we back to insulting a woman based on her looks? This is always fun

No, I'm back to saying that whoever added that photo maliciously picked a bad one to be lovely.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's a bad photo but public domain photos can be kind of wonky you just go with whatever you have.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

No, I'm back to saying that whoever added that photo maliciously picked a bad one to be lovely.

it's wikipedia, what do you expect someone to pick?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

who gives a gently caress what photo they used !!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

it's wikipedia, what do you expect someone to pick?

A decent photo that is actually representative of the person, and not one picked specifically to make them look bad? I just thought it was weird and petty. I still do.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Wikipedia is very, very weird. I bet if you looked in the discussion page you'd find a 4 year long feud between folks over what JPG should be on the page. Lots of celeb pages just have some random crappy camera photo since it's fair use.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
If everyone that viewed Charlotte Flair's Wikipedia page donated just $3 we would be able to supply beautifully accurate portrait of The Queen for years to come for less than the price of a cup of coffee

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

are we talking about wikipedia photos because if so it lets me post my favorite wikipedia photo of all time, that of former mediocre NFL QB Anthony Wright

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Alaois posted:

are we talking about wikipedia photos because if so it lets me post my favorite wikipedia photo of all time, that of former mediocre NFL QB Anthony Wright

It's like a surveillance photograph

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Wiki requires public domain photos and sometimes you don't have a lot of options, it's hard to claim it's malice.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

bring back movelists you fucks

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Butcher and the Blade are actual butchers according to AEW Lore.
I assume that Dexter Lumis is getting paid for his commerical art work for NXT, but is that more of a Two Contracts gimmick?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, Wiki requires public domain photos and sometimes you don't have a lot of options, it's hard to claim it's malice.

I never knew this, this would explain why for like 10 years every comedy actor's picture was them looking washed out and sweaty on the red carpet for the Tina Fey vehicle Baby Mama

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Don’t forget the spirit squad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb posted:

I never knew this, this would explain why for like 10 years every comedy actor's picture was them looking washed out and sweaty on the red carpet for the Tina Fey vehicle Baby Mama

haha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ChrisBTY posted:

Charlotte was a huge part of a group of women who put an unprecedented spotlight on women's wrestling in the United States. The Four Horsemen almost remind of the Beatles in that sense.
Buuuuut, she's the Ringo of the group. She hasn't figured out she's the fourth best and hasn't picked up on the fact that the other 3 have jumped ahead of her despite getting half her opportunities.

Nameless Backstage Interviewer: Would you say Charlotte is the best wrestler in the world?
Bayley: Charlotte's not even the best wrestler in the Four Horsewomen!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Remember that time Charlotte assaulted one of her co-workers on camera and faced no consequences from either her employer or the media?

I see she's once again characterizing herself as the constantly aggrieved one. I wonder if there's a connection.

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Take care fella...spike your hair! :fella:

MJeff posted:

Remember that time Charlotte assaulted one of her co-workers on camera and faced no consequences from either her employer or the media?

I see she's once again characterizing herself as the constantly aggrieved one. I wonder if there's a connection.

holy poo poo this actually happened?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Hiram posted:

holy poo poo this actually happened?

believe that is referring to when asuka and kairi sane faced off vs charlotte and becky lynch and kairi at one point was clearly concussed while charlotte simply kept trying to continue the match, to the point where becky hit kairi under the ring to protect her.

i would add that this probably wasn't out of malice but rather due to the fact that WWE trains people to never ever go off script in any circumstances and charlotte has no experience in wrestling outside of the WWE system.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah Charlotte powerbombed a ragdolled Kairi who was clearly barely conscious and seemed pissed off that Kairi wasn’t doing her part

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ItohRespectArmy posted:

believe that is referring to when asuka and kairi sane faced off vs charlotte and becky lynch and kairi at one point was clearly concussed while charlotte simply kept trying to continue the match, to the point where becky hit kairi under the ring to protect her.

i would add that this probably wasn't out of malice but rather due to the fact that WWE trains people to never ever go off script in any circumstances and charlotte has no experience in wrestling outside of the WWE system.

It crossed the line into malicious when she slapped her, for me, anyway.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

MJeff posted:

It crossed the line into malicious when she slapped her, for me, anyway.

i can get that, I just wanted to highlight that it's a problem that is likely endemic to WWE itself and is probably inevitably going to happen again.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

not sure about intentions or anything else but charlotte calling out how tough kairi is during an unrelated promo on the next show was someone's idea of trying to lower the online heat, which looks quite bad. wrestling companies pretend otherwise, but us "onliners" are the only ones they care about to the point of obsessive disdain and the feigning of disregard. yet there is very often a paradoxical begrudging acknowledgement. Charlotte or her fat cat minions in suits are constantly making GBS threads their pants about how she is viewed. If you remember there even used to be plants on here trying to make it look like misogyny to speak ill of her. I was approached to sell my account to one but said no.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Yes, it became malicious. And it's directly a result of WWE training, a lovely attitude, and a lack of basic empathy. The greenest of greehorns would know better than to not check on someone during a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's definitely wwe's fault for teaching and feeding certain people that they can act like they are more important than other people, intentional or not. this is probably a lot of the reason why someone like randy orton can tweet something "heartwarming" while still seeming like a big rear end in a top hat a lot of the other time. i did not hear much negativity about T-Bar until he had been in WWE's system for a couple years.