Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I wonder how much of this is a consequence of the fact that most of us who grew up online had to learn from a youngish age that not everything you read on the internet is real, in fact a lot of it isn't real at all, and much of the 40+ generations never had to develop that filter and got thrust face-first into the internet wild west when facebook and twitter took off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Update to Confederate Flag gently caress - he got busted because his son bragged about it at work. His coworker reported it, the FBI confirmed the son was there with CFF, and that was that.

https://twitter.com/adamgoldmanNYT/status/1349789486360764417?s=19

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1349791707047600128?s=19

AND OF COURSE THE KID WAS NAMED HUNTER

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Anarcho-Bidenism posted:

I wonder how much of this is a consequence of the fact that most of us who grew up online had to learn from a youngish age that not everything you read on the internet is real, in fact a lot of it isn't real at all, and much of the 40+ generations never had to develop that filter and got thrust face-first into the internet wild west when facebook and twitter took off.

That person right there should have been online since at least her teen years but who tf knows

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Anarcho-Bidenism posted:

That's a big part of it, it's easy to have something that looks legitimate to older people who just have no way (or in some cases desire to) do basic validation or just call bullshit. I also think that there's also an issue with people on social media having some implicit trust in their friends/connections compared to any mainstream/legit sources, so the high-volume posting nutcases and serious believers have a really large effect. The "save the children" Q-anon poo poo got in to parts of my family who should know better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Update to Confederate Flag gently caress - he got busted because his son bragged about it at work. His coworker reported it, the FBI confirmed the son was there with CFF, and that was that.

https://twitter.com/adamgoldmanNYT/status/1349789486360764417?s=19

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1349791707047600128?s=19

Seefried, a very German name, hmmmmm.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

These weirdos get caught for the dumbest reasons. I read a book about OKC and had forgot McVeigh would have gotten away if he'd bothered to put a license plate on his getaway car.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I personally also kind of believe that deep down, in a it-is-part-of-human-nature sort of way, people are inherently kind of gamblers and that helps lead to this kind of behavior.

Like we're always looking for an opportunity to get in at ground level on something, to make the right call ahead of everyone else that makes us able to be all "hah! called it!" To be X before X was cool. To get to be the smart smug one instead of one of the suckers who didn't know better. I mean, just look at how people will happily leap at an opportunity to smugly go UM ACTUALLY to literal strangers online. Why do we do that? The more people go "no man that's loving bonkers" the more you can be invested, just constantly doubling down and out-investing anyone else.

Except in actual gambling eventually (and sooner rather than later) there's a non-negotiable reckoning & you eventually lose your house or whatever, but with this political poo poo you can just rebuy endlessly, it's like there are no brakes until the road is gone and you're already over the cliff.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/johnfetterman/status/1349798687145418760?s=21

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1349766994560630784?s=21

Maybe some of you are too young to remember the infamous Bill Clinton got a $900 haircut story and how Republicans never shut up about it.

"After resorting to a porta-potty, as well as bathrooms at the nearby home of former president Barack Obama and the not-so-nearby residence of Vice President Pence, the agents finally found a toilet to call their own."

lmao "Mr Obama, Javanka won't give me a bathroom pass, can I use yours?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Discussion Quorum posted:

"After resorting to a porta-potty, as well as bathrooms at the nearby home of former president Barack Obama and the not-so-nearby residence of Vice President Pence, the agents finally found a toilet to call their own."

Apparently the Javanka Secret Service trashed Obama's bathroom and Obama's Secret Service BANNED them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Surprised no one commented on this yet:

quote:

The Obamas did not use the garage, so the extra traffic to and from the command post caused no problem. Yet this solution, too, was short-lived after a Secret Service supervisor from the Trump/Kushner detail left an unpleasant mess in the Obama bathroom at some point before the fall of 2017, according to a person briefed on the event. That prompted the leaders of the Obama detail to ban the agents up the street from ever returning.

“Agent, we’ve received reports from your detail members that your call sign was changed to ‘Dumps Like A Truck.’ Upon further investigation of the circumstances, we’ve decided to reassign you to a new detail, and would also recommend that you increase your daily intake of fiber.”

Efb kinda

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Discussion Quorum posted:

And they did, until some agent blew up the garage bathroom.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently the Javanka Secret Service trashed Obama's bathroom and Obama's Secret Service BANNED them.
If they had to jog a quarter mile from the crown princess's housing to take a dump they'd probably be in a hurry.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Anarcho-Bidenism posted:

Yeah, boomer in law was talking about that one time. When he was growing up, information was under lock and key, had to take a half day to go to the library, as soon as you left your front door and got out of earshot of the tv you were done receiving new stimulation. His generation was taught that the hard part of information is gathering, after that just trust the book cuz a librarian and an ol white dude said it was fine and it was your only choice.

My generation drunk out of the garden hose of information in front the house. Years trained on gamefaqs message boards to identify fact, from opinion, to terrible opinion, from ironic terrible opinion, from made up fact. I can tell, at a glance, that it is a photoshop, I can tell because of the pixels.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

CommieGIR posted:

yeah I just made it to that part

:hmbol:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, boomer in law was talking about that one time. When he was growing up, information was under lock and key, had to take a half day to go to the library, as soon as you left your front door and got out of earshot of the tv you were done receiving new stimulation. His generation was taught that the hard part of information is gathering, after that just trust the book cuz a librarian and an ol white dude said it was fine and it was your only choice.

My generation drunk out of the garden hose of information in front the house. Years trained on gamefaqs message boards to identify fact, from opinion, to terrible opinion, from ironic terrible opinion, from made up fact. I can tell, at a glance, that it is a photoshop, I can tell because of the pixels.

So are you saying gamergaters and altrighters and young Republicans are the people who couldn't figure out the difference? Because that tracks

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Trying to imagine explaining to mom the concept of trolling. Speaking of which just wanted to throw my hat on the pile of "guess who just found out mom had been reading Parler" and I despise these people for making me hate my family.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

So are you saying gamergaters and altrighters and young Republicans are the people who couldn't figure out the difference? Because that tracks

I tried, but I still dont GET what gamergate was about. I think it started with a "games journalist's" girlfriend's bad game getting a good review and that spawned the alt right?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I consider myself lucky that my parents are both on the far edge of boomer, both born in 47 and 49. My mom worked in mills and worked as a labor organizer and my fathers experiences in vietnam probably helped temper them both against the onslaught of the bullshit in the news. It's baffling to me how people fall into that hole and just don't think or question anything they hear, or just don't care about other people.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sacrist65 posted:

I tried, but I still dont GET what gamergate was about. I think it started with a "games journalist's" girlfriend's bad game getting a good review and that spawned the alt right?

It’s a worker ant that can lay eggs.

Serious talk yes that was considered the flashpoint but it was always “we don’t like seeing all these women/gay people/not white people in video games and making video games” and it was just harassment of the people making games. The smokescreen is to cover that up and make it seem like “ethics in game journalism” and similar legitimate sounding complaints. But it’s just good old fashioned hatred of Others.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 14, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1349711147025489921?s=20

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I consider myself lucky that my parents are both on the far edge of boomer, both born in 47 and 49. My mom worked in mills and worked as a labor organizer and my fathers experiences in vietnam probably helped temper them both against the onslaught of the bullshit in the news. It's baffling to me how people fall into that hole and just don't think or question anything they hear, or just don't care about other people.

Same here, my Mom went to UC Berkeley and got pepper sprayed at protests and stuff. Vietnam made my Dad do an about face on his previous political and social views real quick. Neither of them are very stoked on what's going down, to understate it.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Sacrist65 posted:

As far as I know it's just a bunch of whiny nerds who don't want to let girls into their "boys club."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

KirbyKhan posted:

lol have you even been to gamefaqs recently

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Losing people who you considered friends to poo poo like this and right wing consperacies hurts way more than I would have thought.

I dated someone that's as close to what I would consider a "sane" Trump voter as you can get. Wasn't racist, pro choice, no issues with gay or transgender people, no Q stuff, etc... She's basically in line with a huge chunk of Democrats on most things but just loves Trump. A few weeks after the election she started a political argument that ended up with her talking about how Trump could still win, how AOC was making lists of Trump supporters, etc... I said that no, Trump lost and the AOC thing was a gross mischaracterization of what she actually said. I got hung up on and blocked and that was that. It loving sucks. I'm a dumbass for getting involved with her but it still hurts. I thought I was through most of the political minefield with her but boy was I loving wrong.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
They busted the dude beating the prone cop with a flag.

https://twitter.com/sgurman/status/1349812047849127944

quote:

A confidential informant notified the FBI on Tuesday that they recognized Mr. Stager from videos posted online in social media , and from another video in which Mr. Stager allegedly said: “Everybody in there is a treasonous traitor. Death is the only remedy for what’s in that building.”

He's going to prison for a long time once they get the grand jury going.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

I wonder if the CI is Baked Alaska?

Regardless that dude is rightly and mightily turbo hosed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh, hey, Siegfried died.

CNN: Siegfried Fischbacher, illusionist of Siegfried & Roy, dead at 81.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/14/entertainment/siegfried-fischbacher-obit/index.html

Now we play the waiting game on David Copperfield.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah, I'm curious if they're using the term "confidential informant" for anyone giving picture tips or if it's an existing CI inside right-wing extremists groups.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I wonder if the CI is Baked Alaska?

Regardless that dude is rightly and mightily turbo hosed.

Baked Alaska was already in trouble, so I could totally see him flipping on people to save his skin, especially after we saw him basically cry after harassing those store clerks and getting arrested

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

CommieGIR posted:

Baked Alaska was already in trouble, so I could totally see him flipping on people to save his skin, especially after we saw him basically cry after harassing those store clerks and getting arrested

he's already been released on bail or something so people are saying he sang like a canary

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hot Karl Marx posted:

he's already been released on bail or something so people are saying he sang like a canary

From violating probation by going across state lines? Yeah

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That wasn't probation, it was bail, I thought. And bail usually restricts travel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That wasn't probation, it was bail, I thought. And bail usually restricts travel.

Poor baby Alpha Male couldn't take the American Prison system after he harassed a bunch of minimum wage workers.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1349402062530998274

:thunk:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Not sure this has been posted yet, but, gently caress.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...m_medium=social

quote:

President-elect Joe Biden will seek a deal with Republicans on another round of Covid-19 relief, rather than attempting to ram a package through without their support, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The approach could mean a smaller initial package that features some priorities favored by Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell. The idea is to forgo using a special budget process that would remove the need to get the support of at least 10 Republicans in the Senate, which will be split 50-50 and under Democratic control only thanks to the vice president’s vote

I thought this past week had finally woken mainstream libs up to what the republicans are about, but no. It's "bipartisan compromise attempt" time, baby.

Also it looks like they're going to go for $1400 checks instead of $2k because 600 last year plus 1400 now equals 2k. Gotta make sure to rules lawyer every benefit down, especially after winning two Senate seats on "$2k checks"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I will take that money and invest it in desert land several miles from the nearest neighbor.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/jeradwalker/status/1349798163545169920?s=19

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 14, 2021

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Best Friends posted:

Not sure this has been posted yet, but, gently caress.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...m_medium=social

I thought this past week had finally woken mainstream libs up to what the republicans are about, but no. It's "bipartisan compromise attempt" time, baby.

Also it looks like they're going to go for $1400 checks instead of $2k because 600 last year plus 1400 now equals 2k. Gotta make sure to rules lawyer every benefit down, especially after winning two Senate seats on "$2k checks"

"According to two people familiar with the matter"?

Sounds sketchy to me, just a clickbait article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Kris Kristofferson sounds lit