Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sagebrush posted:

yeah that was the worst part of new ghostbusters imo. it felt like they were all improvising jokes, which is fine sometimes, but paul feig was like "omg you're all so funny let's just leave it all in" instead of having a script or an editor

like there's a scene where they're walking through the subway and it's dark and spooky and in any other film they would have been mostly quiet because they're meant to be nervous. but in this movie they're just cracking bad jokes one after the other and going on and on about how it smells like pee. it was like a bad podcast

there were scenes where you could see a sliver of the other actors and their movements wouldn't match up between cuts because they were using different reaction takes, it was bad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i watched an uwe boll movie the other day because i was tired of scrolling around on netflix and it had burt fuckin reynolds in it wtf

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm watching the show Motherland that's basically Teen Witches Go To Boot Camp to kill time while I exercise and it's... something. the universe doesn't seem well thought out. like a lot of The Real World + Magic stories you're just always wondering "why doesn't anyone have a loving gun"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

I'm watching the show Motherland that's basically Teen Witches Go To Boot Camp to kill time while I exercise and it's... something. the universe doesn't seem well thought out. like a lot of The Real World + Magic stories you're just always wondering "why doesn't anyone have a loving gun"

it's so easy to overcome too, just say magic can transmute bullets to water or something

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RetroNewsNow/status/1349825545941483521

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj_DkETZ1j8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

they went heavy on woke marketing by trying to brand anyone who dared speak ill of it as some nazi chud chauvinist pig. they were also banking on it making so much money that it would fund a studio dedicated to a ghostbusters cinematic universe, which failed miserably. it wasn't a total financial bomb, but i don't think it made enough to come out ahead after the production and marketing costs, let alone fund a studio dedicated to sequels, spinoffs and video games

what happened to that one that’s a successor
to the originals ?

PCjr sidecar posted:

i really wanted like g16 but it was not good on the standalone merits (timing bad, pacing bad, plot bad, neither funny enough as a comedy nor actiony enough for an blockbuster, characters ill defined etc); references were either clumsily shoehorned or bad

reminded me a lot of solo

i reckon i’m lucky coz i’m either dense or have low standards and it results in me enjoying more movies

like I managed to completely not notice feet in tarantino movies so i enjoyed them but you fuckers can’t stop staring at people’s feet so now I wonder who has the foot fetish mmm

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i'm going to read the valis trilogy this year to make myself more insane. thank you for scrolling past my post.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

to the originals ?

i was wondering the same thing early and it looks like ghostbusters kids is one of the films that they pushed back a year

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

to the originals ?

i reckon i’m lucky coz i’m either dense or have low standards and it results in me enjoying more movies

like I managed to completely not notice feet in tarantino movies so i enjoyed them but you fuckers can’t stop staring at people’s feet so now I wonder who has the foot fetish mmm

a lot of people don’t enjoy things, just in general, and then rationalize it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

my bitter bi rival posted:

i'm going to read the valis trilogy this year to make myself more insane. thank you for scrolling past my post.

I've only ever read the first one and I don't think I need to be more insane

are the others good? also isn't one of them straight up unfinished?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

godspeed on your brain journey

i haven't made the plunge yet because i back-to-back read a pile of his books about 15 years ago and it felt like i broke something. i've been wary to go for his later works since

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm watching Hotel Artemis and it's a pretty good cyberpunk movie if anyone is looking for one

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hell yeah

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

do it and enjoy the ride!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

godspeed on your brain journey

i haven't made the plunge yet because i back-to-back read a pile of his books about 15 years ago and it felt like i broke something. i've been wary to go for his later works since

I read three sigmata of Palmer eldritch a long time ago when I was using drugs and it definitely screwed me up for a while

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm watching Hotel Artemis and it's a pretty good cyberpunk movie if anyone is looking for one

quoting myself to say it's good, def worth a watch if anyone is looking for something

baustista is good in it. lol it has real bad ratings but I like it

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 14, 2021

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/TheFilmStage/status/1349534904325971968

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

i'll put it on my list thanks smoka

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

rotor posted:

i watched an uwe boll movie the other day because i was tired of scrolling around on netflix and it had burt fuckin reynolds in it wtf

in the name of the king is a trilogy
no, burt isn't in the others

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

i'll put it on my list thanks smoka

it's not amazing but it's a solid 90 minutes

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

SmokaDustbowl posted:

quoting myself to say it's good, def worth a watch if anyone is looking for something

baustista is good in it. lol it has real bad ratings but I like it

welp I got me some good watching tonight. I like bautista in all the stuff I’ve seen with him. also I’m a sucker for cyberpunk stuff I just eat it up

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i'm finally watching robocop 2014 albeit with low expectations. at least visually it holds up really well 45 minutes in. plus they threw some big actors at the drat thing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the guy who plays Marco in The Expanse is fuckin great

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the problem with most remakes is that they're just really loving bad (i.e. product placement filled, improv dumpster fires).

robertcop is different in that it would be a perfectly fine film if it didnt have to carry all the baggage of the original.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Mélodie en sous-sol/Any Number Can Win" is another primo french heist flick, and Alain Delon is of course as great as ever

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shaggar posted:

the problem with most remakes is that they're just really loving bad (i.e. product placement filled, improv dumpster fires).

robertcop is different in that it would be a perfectly fine film if it didnt have to carry all the baggage of the original.

the problem with most remakes is that they're remaking flims that are perfectly fine the way they were originally made and don't need a dumb flashy remake

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

the problem with most remakes is that they're remaking flims that are perfectly fine the way they were originally made and don't need a dumb flashy remake

also the people who think they need remakes aren't clever enough to capture and modernize the things that made the movies popular in the first place

that's how ready player one gets made

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bladerunner 2049 is kind of a remake and its probably better than the original

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Aliens>Alien

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chris Knight posted:

"Mélodie en sous-sol/Any Number Can Win" is another primo french heist flick, and Alain Delon is of course as great as ever
*makes a note*

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Shaggar posted:

bladerunner 2049 is kind of a remake and its probably better than the original

shaggar was right

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

just finished robert cop. first half is more interesting than the back half but overall it was fine. it is also 100% nothing like the original and does not overwrite it in any way to my mind

now to watch the dredd remake

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

now to watch the dredd remake

you've never seen dredd? gently caress is it good

it was the last movie I saw in theaters with my dad before my parents moved to the east coast. I wish we could have seen fury road

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you've never seen dredd? gently caress is it good

it was the last movie I saw in theaters with my dad before my parents moved to the east coast. I wish we could have seen fury road
i watched only the first 10 minutes up to just before he meets the empath rookie. i hear it's sort of like the raid (or punisher warzone) so i'm looking forward to it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

i watched only the first 10 minutes up to just before he meets the empath rookie. i hear it's sort of like the raid (or punisher warzone) so i'm looking forward to it

it fuckin owns

my apartment building is on peachtrees lockdown, and I got a package. the amazon dude had to call me to come down becuase he couldn't even get into the building to buzz me. I had to explain my building was in lockdown lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_3YIkTmVE

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

kind of glad i watched new robocop first then lol.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins posted:

kind of glad i watched new robocop first then lol.

wait till you see the minigun scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
mama owns and in the dredd universe she was justified