Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
"Is it Danger Zone?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Shaking my drat head at having the opportunity to sing Danger Zone on Jeopardy and passing

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ah yes that famous American war medal, the Iron Cross.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Kevin O'Leary LOL

I gotta say I am not excited about these new guest hosts. Aaron Rodgers? Seriously? Where is Levar? Where is Brooke Burns? Where is Aisha Tyler? All people who might actually be good at this.

Also, word is from the contestants that were there this week that Ken was very good at making them feel comfortable with the whole contestant experience, and also great with them given the whole situation they were all in. I've seen more than one sing his praises with how he handled not only the on-air stuff but also everything off the air as well.

That’s Jeopardy Champion Aaron Rodgers , then you very much.

Aaron Rodgers being a jeopardy champion is one of my all time favorite tidbits (yes I know it was celebrity jeopardy, it’s still pretty funny).

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Somebody tweeted that he'll have home-field advantage in the frigid sony studio, which I think is incredibly funny

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

That’s Jeopardy Champion Aaron Rodgers , then you very much.

Aaron Rodgers being a jeopardy champion is one of my all time favorite tidbits (yes I know it was celebrity jeopardy, it’s still pretty funny).

It was a great episode because we ALSO got to see Kevin O'Leary get completely crushed.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

It was a great episode because we ALSO got to see Kevin O'Leary get completely crushed.

Wasn’t current Senator Mark Kelly also on that episode?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

Wasn’t current Senator Mark Kelly also on that episode?

Yeah, and he was pretty good too.

That was one of the best celebrity episodes ever IMO.

I still don’t think Aaron Rodgers is gonna be a good host though. Happy to be proven wrong.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Can't wait for him to get truly indignant when the football category is Packers Quarterbacks and the contestants go 0/5.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I had to try to succinctly explain the bean dad to my mom when we were watching Jeopardy! talking about new hosts. The internet isn't supposed to be in irl life. Worlds are colliding.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I guess the Aaron Rodgers thing is happening which could be great or a trainwreck.

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1349472115414630400

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hope Mayim Biyalik has to ask a question about vaccines.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov_Jw02uHGY

Minute 1: "Yes, I vaccinate. Vaccinations are good."

Minute 3: Agreeing with every anti-vaccer talking point, but quietly excluding anything about autism.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

I guess the Aaron Rodgers thing is happening which could be great or a trainwreck.

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1349472115414630400

I guess it's great and all that they're making donations, but do we really want Jeopardy's host to be pay to play?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Uhh I think the show is making donations on the host's behalf, like instead of paying the host

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's also turning into exactly the kind of "TUNE IN TO SEE WHO'S NEXT WEEK'S HOST" kind of shitshow that I didn't want to see Jeopardy become. I understand having some guest hosts. A few people, all strongly being considered for the final role, each hosting for a couple of weeks (two/three days of filming) would have been good.

This kind of rotating door of TUNE IN TO SEE WHO'S GOING TO BE HOSTING NEXT WEEK is very much not my cup of tea.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

It's also turning into exactly the kind of "TUNE IN TO SEE WHO'S NEXT WEEK'S HOST" kind of shitshow that I didn't want to see Jeopardy become. I understand having some guest hosts. A few people, all strongly being considered for the final role, each hosting for a couple of weeks (two/three days of filming) would have been good.

This kind of rotating door of TUNE IN TO SEE WHO'S GOING TO BE HOSTING NEXT WEEK is very much not my cup of tea.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled at all about the guest hosts they've announced so far.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be fair, I get why a more-polished plan wasn't available.

But another thing I feel like I should point out here is the new EP also oversaw the transition from Bob Barker to Drew Carrey.

I get the impression that Richards was expecting to work a little while longer with Trebek before actually having to tap someone but I'd have to do a little digging.

Edit: another possible strategy would be to intentionally book lovely people in order to make other candidates look better by comparison.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 14, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
At least when Katie Couric was announced, I wasn't thrilled, but it at least made some sense. These other people, hopefully I'm surprised, but I can't see stunt hosts being a good plan in the long run.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I was hoping for people that were seriously being considered of becoming the permanent host but I don't see any of them as anything but ringers to goose the ratings. Rodgers is a interesting choice though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a very stupid gimmick and they knew Alex's days were numbered so they could've lined up the permanent replacement.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

HookShot posted:

What's frustrating is that like... 90%+ of being a successful contestant is attuning to the host's speaking pattern

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

What's frustrating is that like... 90%+ of being a successful contestant is attuning to the host's speaking pattern

Yeah, totally agree. I feel bad for the people who are going to end up on the show with the myriad of guest hosts.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Good thing for Rodgers that COVID is still going on otherwise fans of the Bears, Lions and Vikings would try to kill him.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Alex insisted forever that the contestants were the stars, not him. Now we have a parade of stunt hosts. This stinks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, even if you're not a fan of Jennings hosting he at least understands that and made it pretty clear from the start. Maybe it will improve once there's a permanent host but I'm starting to have some real concerns about the Jeopardy Interrgum

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, even if you're not a fan of Jennings hosting he at least understands that and made it pretty clear from the start. Maybe it will improve once there's a permanent host but I'm starting to have some real concerns about the Jeopardy Interrgum

Yeah, and hell, after 3 games Ken seems to be already in a better place than he was on Monday, so I'm thinking I'm just going to be pissed off when his time is up.

I was going to pull a C-list celebrity out there, but then I realized, because we live in the worst timeline, at some point we may very well get one that's just there to advertise an upcoming movie. :suicide:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

Alex insisted forever that the contestants were the stars, not him. Now we have a parade of stunt hosts. This stinks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Totally agree. This stinks and Ken is actually already good at this and getting better. Let him do it forever. Or try out LeVar and decide between them but that's it.

Also this is off to a great start...

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
God I'd be so loving infuriated if I got to fulfill my lifelong dream of getting on jeopardy and seeing goddamn Blossom walk out

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$500 hasn't been a valid amount since 2001, bialyik, get your loving head in the game.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I want to know if those of us who have been on before are now allowed to try again since Alex is no longer the host.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mennoknight posted:

God I'd be so loving infuriated if I got to fulfill my lifelong dream of getting on jeopardy and seeing goddamn Blossom walk out

Just wait until there's some sort of ratings spike and they give us a run of the Big Bang Theory actors

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

HookShot posted:

I want to know if those of us who have been on before are now allowed to try again since Alex is no longer the host.

I was going to say "i don't think so, that language was always in place to just... deny anyone who had appeared since 1984." and yet, I just went to jeopardy.com and tried to sign up for the online test. They asked me if i've ever been on the show before and i selected "yes" and then it let me go to the test. Not sure if they'll just cross out my application but might be worth a try!

I'm probably persona non grata with them since I contested a question after my show aired but... i might as well take the test again this afternoon lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

I was going to say "i don't think so, that language was always in place to just... deny anyone who had appeared since 1984." and yet, I just went to jeopardy.com and tried to sign up for the online test. They asked me if i've ever been on the show before and i selected "yes" and then it let me go to the test. Not sure if they'll just cross out my application but might be worth a try!

I'm probably persona non grata with them since I contested a question after my show aired but... i might as well take the test again this afternoon lol

Yeah, and our contracts that we signed specifically said we couldn't re-apply until after Alex was no longer host. That'll be interesting. I'm not going to bother right now since there's no way they're doing auditions in Canada anytime soon anyway, but that's good to know.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

James should apply again.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

James should apply again.

He can't play while he's on The Chase, thankfully.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ken, Brad, and James should just go on the show again and gently caress around SNL Celebrity Jeopardy style for whoever the guest host is.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I gave it a shot, probably 46/50 or so

quote:

Your test submission will be given to the Jeopardy! contestant team for evaluation. If you pass the test, you’ll be placed into a random selection process for invitation to a contestant audition. Auditions are ongoing, and depending on our travel and testing schedule, you could receive an invitation anytime within the next 12 months.

If you are invited to an in-person audition, you will take another 50-question test. If you pass that test (at least 35 correct out of 50), you’ll be invited to stay for the full session, which includes playing a shortened version of Jeopardy! and participating in a personality interview. That’s when it’s your time to shine!

If you don’t hear back from us within 12 months of your Anytime Test, it could be for a number of reasons. You may not have passed the test. Or, you may have passed, but we were unable to invite everyone who passed to attend an in-person audition. However, we encourage you to take the test again or participate in the next Jeopardy! Test event.

I expect literally nothing to come from this, like i said, but it's interesting that they explicitly said 35/50, i don't know if they've ever made that public before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mennoknight posted:

lol every time they name someone new this is what pops into my head.

Spokes posted:

I'm curious about the clue to compare because I remember there being a final years back that wasn't difficult to get (and one contestant even did) but I think they invited them all back or two of them back or something because they said it was poorly worded and I thought it was lame they did so. I want to say it was about the moon landing but I really can't remember it too specifically other than I thought it was a gimme.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 14, 2021