Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it was also easy to get the results from the vaccine trials because so many people were getting infected, it didn't take very long to see there was a significant effect from the vaccine

as far as dodgy stuff goes check out the SinoVac vaccine. they keep reporting different efficacy data from different countries, looks like it's definitely not as good as the US and UK vaccines. which is unfortunate for anyone in east asia as that's probably what you'll be getting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
My university is going ham with testing, now requiring everyone to be tested twice a week or risk losing lab access, which is good.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

hell why not
https://www.razer.com/ca-en/concepts/razer-project-hazel

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

it's bullshit, wake the thread up when anyone is actually wearing this and we can see how much spittle the mask collects

also, if voice transmission is important, just get a mask with a voice membrane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSzXwWv1ms

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

weg posted:

Edit: No fever yet. I get temp checked multiple times a day at work and haven't ever gone higher than 98.4.

A fever is one of the most common symptoms of coronavirus but it's not universal, so a lack of a fever isn't a sure sign of a lack of infection.

On the other hand it's also pretty likely that you just have a regular cold, there's no way of knowing until you get that test result back. This lovely pandemic is probably going to drag on for a while and you might have to go through this uncertainty and paranoia several times before you actually get the virus so kick back and relax and try to adjust to it, this is just how it is for the foreseeable future.

Also try hanging out at pharmacies near closing time in case they have any vaccines left over that they would have to throw out of they can't find a random person to give it to, that's actually worked out for a bunch of people who were supposed to be way down the list. ;)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tagra posted:

Is there a recommended brand to look for so you don't order a chinese knockoff that is just a plastic case with a chip in it that displays one of five random reasonable-sounding numbers and has weights inside of it to make it feel expensive?

No, the Chinese stuff on Amazon is exactly what you want. $30, has a little dot matrix screen that draws a graph and everything

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Someone way back in the thread explained that the vaccine trials didn't skip any technical steps. Most trials are slowed by admin overhead, applying for/waiting for funding, paperwork sitting around unread and so on. Remove all those roadblocks and the data can be gathered pretty quickly.

This is my short bullshit summary, smart people can correct me. However this explanation made me personally feel good about getting it when I am able. Of course I'm at the very distant end of the eligibility list so I'll get to observe the effects on the rest of the world before I get poked.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Whooping Crabs posted:

My university is going ham with testing, now requiring everyone to be tested twice a week or risk losing lab access, which is good.

Someone actually trying to apply a useful approach to controlling CV19 spread. Blows my mind.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

No, the Chinese stuff on Amazon is exactly what you want. $30, has a little dot matrix screen that draws a graph and everything

All of this kind of stuff on amazon is a crapshoot, the brands named on the amazon page may be getting their stuff from different factories with different levels of QC, or may even be intentional knockoffs mixed in with the genuine products at the amazon warehouses.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/amazon-counterfeit-fake-products/

About all you can do is pick one where the recent reviews mostly aren't people complaining about it not being as advertised, and assume that you may have to exchange/buy another to get something that isn't garbage.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 14, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Whooping Crabs posted:

Hah. They won't even test a person without symptoms, here, they don't have the capacity. Unless you've been in contact with a confirmed case.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

AnnoyBot posted:

Someone way back in the thread explained that the vaccine trials didn't skip any technical steps. Most trials are slowed by admin overhead, applying for/waiting for funding, paperwork sitting around unread and so on. Remove all those roadblocks and the data can be gathered pretty quickly.

This is my short bullshit summary, smart people can correct me. However this explanation made me personally feel good about getting it when I am able. Of course I'm at the very distant end of the eligibility list so I'll get to observe the effects on the rest of the world before I get poked.
that's both right and wrong

the biggest boost was starting production before waiting to see if it works, being able to build on previous work

however they also: shortened phases where people are given vaccine and then waited to see what happens; started subsequent phases before waiting for the previous phase to be done; made it publicly available before the last phase is done, which means people are already getting vaccinated, but the studies only have a great amount of certainty in safety by summer '21. the studies also endangered participants due to the whole "do them in parallel not in sequence" thing

and there literally is no way to speed up "give it to a lot of people and wait to see if it has longterm effects". right now we literally don't know if the vaccine has longterm effects half a year after being given, on like half a % of all recipients

the only reason it's out is because we know that:
1. the most dangerous side effect right now appears to be allergic reaction which CAN kill people via anaphylactic shock, but is fairly well known and treatable
2. at this point we have reasonable certainty that the amount of people with dangerous side effects is lower than the amount of people who'd die from covid
3. both governments and huge parts of the population are gigantic assholic shits who'll kill millions before letting the economy tank or having to wear a mask

so, the vaccine isn't proven safe. it's just sufficiently more safe than covid itself

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
The SinoVac vaccine is 50% effective now because of how they are measuring efficacy.

quote:

The Butantan Institute said it included six types of cases in its results: asymptomatic, very mild, mild, two levels of moderate, and severe. (The Brazilian authorities stressed that the public should focus on the vaccine’s 100% efficacy in protecting against severe cases of COVID-19.) Western vaccine makers generally included only mild, moderate, and severe categories, and companies like Pfizer are doing additional studies to see if the vaccine will prevent asymptomatic cases.
- https://fortune.com/2021/01/13/sinovac-vaccine-efficacy-rate-drop/

I bet we'd see the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine efficacy drop if if they measured efficacy by a stricter standard.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

withak posted:

All of this kind of stuff on amazon is a crapshoot, the brands named on the amazon page may be getting their stuff from different factories with different levels of QC, or may even be intentional knockoffs mixed in with the genuine products at the amazon warehouses.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/amazon-counterfeit-fake-products/

About all you can do is pick one where the recent reviews mostly aren't people complaining about it not being as advertised, and assume that you may have to exchange/buy another to get something that isn't garbage.

Another method I've used to make sure the Amazon product is legit is to make sure it has a separate website with contact information and product documentation on it. If it's just an Amazon listing of something that looks exactly the same as a bunch of other listings and without a separate website then it's probably a white-label product that the seller has rebranded and the QC is not likely to be good. The more skin in the game the seller appears to have, the more likely they are to not be a drop-shipper.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Woodsy Owl posted:

The SinoVac vaccine is 50% effective now because of how they are measuring efficacy.

- https://fortune.com/2021/01/13/sinovac-vaccine-efficacy-rate-drop/

I bet we'd see the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine efficacy drop if if they measured efficacy by a stricter standard.

you don't have to bet, it's true. both mRNA manufacturers only studied the endpoint of symptomatic individuals. Moderna's prelim (and incomplete) data regarding this indicates if they had captured asymptomatic and very minor cases, it would be lower much like what appears to be happening with sinovac. Closer to 67% probably, although both mRNA providers would need to retool how they do their studies to capture this info afaict. I'm sure this wasnt done on purpose so that people like fauci could go on tv and confuse how protecting from disease/severe disease (those high 95ish% numbers) leads to herd immunity, american companies would never lie about the efficacy of their products to get a leg up on their foreign competition.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

Look for one of the ones with a perfusion index (PI) indicator. It's basically a measure of the difference between the strongest and weakest signal the sensor is receiving (corresponding to the fact that as your heart beats the blood vessels expand and contract), which isn't a useful medical sign itself but does prove that the sensor is getting a good-quality signal (most also use it to display a graph of your heart rate which is purely a cosmetic thing but again, a useful visual indicator you're getting a good signal).

The main reason to look for this feature - beyond proving you're using it properly - is it shows the oximeter doesn't have the very cheapest detector in it; as always with these sort of things while there's hundreds of different "brands", they're basically all built around two or three off-the-shelf circuits, the cheapest of which is just a green LED and photo sensor and so massively variable depending on your circulation, skin colour and temperature, and even on how strong the spring on it is. The ones with a PI indicator will almost certainly have enough smarts to be able to account for all of those.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So apparently some really old people (90+ years old) have died here due to vaccine complications. This will surely not fuel any anti-vaxx sentiments!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

ymgve posted:

So apparently some really old people (90+ years old) have died here due to vaccine complications. This will surely not fuel any anti-vaxx sentiments!
I haven't seen anything about this. Do you have a link?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

ymgve posted:

Did they die of the vaccine or with the vaccine though?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
90-year olds die. It's the normal thing for them to do.

The question is, do more of them die if they get the jab, or if they don't?
My money is on the latter.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

I haven't seen anything about this. Do you have a link?

edit: actually removed because I'm not sure about the trustworthiness of the source publication. But google Norway vaccine deaths if you're interested.

Starks fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 14, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
"They were going to die anyway." -lovely republican

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/dlvXGz/har-undersoekt-13-doedsfall-vanlige-bivirkninger-kan-ha-bidratt-til-doedsfall-hos-de-svakeste

Norwegian only, but it’s one of the largest newspapers here with quotes directly from our equivalent of the CDC

It’s not absolute, just that some deaths may have been linked to side effects, and they are changing the guidelines to a local judgment whether someone would handle the side effects or not

ymgve fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 14, 2021

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

90-year olds die. It's the normal thing for them to do.

The question is, do more of them die if they get the jab, or if they don't?
My money is on the latter.
keep in mind that all of them could be kept alive if meaningful measures would be used that should in fact have been hard enforced for the entirety of last year

killing some of them by making them go through a very stressful thing is not a normal reaction, it's a panic reaction caused by politicians not giving a loving poo poo about who dies or not

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mithaldu posted:

keep in mind that all of them could be kept alive if meaningful measures would be used that should in fact have been hard enforced for the entirety of last year

killing some of them by making them go through a very stressful thing is not a normal reaction, it's a panic reaction caused by politicians not giving a loving poo poo about who dies or not

Are you saying they're more likely to die if they get vaccinated?

Are you really saying that all 90-year-olds could be kept alive indefinitely?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
90-year olds can't be kept alive indefinitely: Sooner or later they will turn 91. :haw:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I got my first jab today and I'm not dead yet.

(I'm also not 90 years old.)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Violet_Sky posted:

I got my first jab today and I'm not dead yet.

(I'm also not 90 years old.)

Nice try, but we know that dead people can still post thanks to Herman Cain.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Are you saying they're more likely to die if they get vaccinated?

Are you really saying that all 90-year-olds could be kept alive indefinitely?

please tell me what you thought i meant by "meaningful measures that should in fact have been hard enforced for the entirety of last year"

your post appears to indicate you thought i thought politicians should have been countering the pandemic by doing some necromancy

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Nice try, but we know that dead people can still post thanks to Herman Cain.

Excuse me, but I think you'll find Charlie Daniels started Deadposting first

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There was already a Charlie Daniels memorial park in Mt Juliet, TN more than a decade ago. People had been anticipating his death for years.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A fever is one of the most common symptoms of coronavirus but it's not universal, so a lack of a fever isn't a sure sign of a lack of infection.

On the other hand it's also pretty likely that you just have a regular cold, there's no way of knowing until you get that test result back. This lovely pandemic is probably going to drag on for a while and you might have to go through this uncertainty and paranoia several times before you actually get the virus so kick back and relax and try to adjust to it, this is just how it is for the foreseeable future.

Also try hanging out at pharmacies near closing time in case they have any vaccines left over that they would have to throw out of they can't find a random person to give it to, that's actually worked out for a bunch of people who were supposed to be way down the list. ;)

This is the first I've known that it can make you mucus-y. I always thought dry cough = if you have a wet cough, don't worry. I'm glad I live in Australia because my sinuses suck rear end and I'm mucus-y almost all the time.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Mithaldu posted:

...so, the vaccine isn't proven safe. it's just sufficiently more safe than covid itself

This is a reasonable summary.
We don't know whether or not the vaccines will have frequent negative medium-long-term side effects (although this is unlikely in absolute terms), but we do know that many parts of the world are fuuuucked right now.

Currently I'm in a calm part of China, so I'm hanging back ~2-4 months if possible, due to a combination of lack of detailed vaccine info plus low day-to-day risk.
If I were in the US I'd be hanging around pharmacies at closing time trying to score a shot of whatever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

QuarkJets posted:

Got my first Pfizer jab today, and I wept tears of black ichor as I bore witness to the walls of reality falling away to the cacaphonic of wailing of The Red Chorus. Also a little bit of arm soreness, no big deal

You jest, but “feeling of impending doom” is a real, rare, and serious side effect of the Pfizer vaccine.

Here it is listed on CDC’s page for “Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines Currently Authorized in the United States”, which is a good thing to read if you’re in the U.S. and looking to get vaccinated soon.

I don’t know anything about why the mRNA vaccines can do that, but I recall that there’s a jellyfish that famously has a similar effect.

compshateme85 posted:

Got the Moderna vaccine yesterday. Drive through vaccination, windows up the entire time except for the actual shot.

So far just a sore arm and a bit tired today, although that could be because I had a 6:30am meeting.

Did they have you park for fifteen minutes for observation afterward?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1349876212642897920

Seems like this latest spike isn't really slowing down, but this thread certainly has. We're coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the initial shutdown and everybody is clearly fatigued with even talking about this poo poo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

eggyolk posted:

Seems like this latest spike isn't really slowing down, but this thread certainly has. We're coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the initial shutdown and everybody is clearly fatigued with even talking about this poo poo.

I'm constantly see-sawing between "dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed" and "cautiously optimistic"

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

eggyolk posted:

The fatigue is absolutely real on macro and micro levels and could not be happening at a worse time. Part of why I bought a half-mask respirator recently is that I've caught myself slipping on KN95 mask use and proper seals after wearing them 50+ hours a week for months on end. poo poo getting mind-numbingly routine is dangerous when folks around you are popping for the rona left and right.

naem
May 29, 2011

eggyolk posted:

getting so tired of sitting around here n my rear end at home lol

I’m not doing terribly financially and with that worry currently lessened and with democrats actually making efforts to support us now in the us it’s just shear boredom

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m currently in a train car commuting from work with six people sans mask and I want to pull the e brake and start screaming in their face. But alas it’s legal and totally fine for them to not wear a mask, and I’ll get deported if I pull a stunt.

I have my issues towards the US as I always will, as a nonwhite American, for the usual reasons, but towards Sweden I truly cannot describe in either language how I feel. Ten thousand unnecessary deaths.

Like, I oscillate between rage and longing, with a day to day middle ground of productive despair. I’ve not had Covid (yet), but it has taken so much from me. I’m lucky in not losing someone significant but the loss of...I don’t know, goodwill? hope? is incalculable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

eggyolk posted:

yeah I'm completely numb at this point, cautiously optimistic with the vaccine on the horizon but every day is longer than the last. lately I have this nagging feeling that being alone all the time has completely changed my mental state.