Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The United States posted:

The RP2 comes with an entire second (older) installation of Retroarch with only a single GBA core installed in order to run GBA games fine. It's kind of weird but they're expecting you to set up DIG and just launch everything through it I think so that makes sense.

You can also install any GBA emulator you want from the Play Store.

i’ve been using a paid frontend to run everything (reset) and it’s like 50/50 on whether stuff actually launches, it’s kind of a bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Ive been looking at these off and on for a little bit and am thinking of taking the plunge on an RP2 but the main thing holding me back is the d pad being so low. Im mainly looking to do GBA games with the dpad, can someone who has one comment on how comfortable it is using primarily d pad?

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Meridian posted:

What have you been playing lately out of curiosity? Portable Metal Gear Solid seems worth the price of admission.

I've mainly been split between FF7 and MGS, with a session or two each put into Armored Core, Megaman Legends, and Legend of Mana because I've had problems with emulating those three on other devices. Admittedly those games don't have strict input requirements so it's possible I haven't noticed the input lag :shrug: Absolutely no framerate problems in any of them though.

Declan MacManus posted:

i’ve been using a paid frontend to run everything (reset) and it’s like 50/50 on whether stuff actually launches, it’s kind of a bummer

I've been using the Pegasus launcher that the retroid handhelds wiki suggests. It was pretty easy to set up following the guides linked in the wiki, and one of them even provides config files that point it to the Retroarch cores that were preinstalled on the device.

Grundma posted:

Ive been looking at these off and on for a little bit and am thinking of taking the plunge on an RP2 but the main thing holding me back is the d pad being so low. Im mainly looking to do GBA games with the dpad, can someone who has one comment on how comfortable it is using primarily d pad?

I have big hands, and the d-pad can be a little uncomfortable if I'm holding the RP2 with my palms up against the sides. I have to hold the it in my fingers slightly away from my palms for it to be comfortable.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i play third strike on mine and i can parry, so, yeah, no or negligible input lag

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Sweet. Ended up going with the SNES colored RP2. Stoked.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I was having a hell of a time getting my RP2 to play SNES games properly without weird sound stuttering in retroarch. but weirdly it all runs great so far in the retroidOS. I'm gonna have to pop my card out in the morning and move my roms into the right place for the os to see though which is a pain.

Also lol at some of the names of the preloaded console roms

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Shoehead posted:

I was having a hell of a time getting my RP2 to play SNES games properly without weird sound stuttering in retroarch. but weirdly it all runs great so far in the retroidOS. I'm gonna have to pop my card out in the morning and move my roms into the right place for the os to see though which is a pain.

Also lol at some of the names of the preloaded console roms

Was seeing posts about RetroidOS game saves not working and that one has to use save states. Have you run into that?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
RP2 is my first emulator handheld, so save states are a new experience for me. And I think they're pretty awesome tbh - literally create a save point wherever, whenever.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah IIRC Retroid OS is just a fork of one of those Pandora's Box operating systems that all those Chinese arcade sticks full of bootleg arcade games use, which means it's designed primarily for arcade games and thus doesn't support the saving systems that consoles use, but it does have savestates.

The Retroid Pocket 1 I believe still called it the "Pandora Games 3D" OS even.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 8, 2021

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The United States posted:

Yeah IIRC Retroid OS is just a fork of one of those Pandora's Box operating systems that all those Chinese arcade sticks full of bootleg arcade games use, which means it's designed primarily for arcade games and thus doesn't support the saving systems that consoles use, but it does have savestates.

The Retroid Pocket 1 I believe still called it the "Pandora Games 3D" OS even.

Apparent saves work in RetroArch alright you just have to unload the core after the save for it to stick. Kind of weird, but what can you do.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Meridian posted:

Was seeing posts about RetroidOS game saves not working and that one has to use save states. Have you run into that?

I'll check it out now. It really seems to hate my psx files rn.

Edit: nope no memory card or ram state gets saved it looks like.

Well poo poo, I dunno why Retroarch hates my snes games so much

more edits: it looks like snes9x 2010 just randomly worked better than any of the other cores so... hurray!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 8, 2021

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Meridian posted:

Apparent saves work in RetroArch alright you just have to unload the core after the save for it to stick. Kind of weird, but what can you do.

RetroidOS doesn't give you access to RetroArch's menus to do anything like that, as far as I can tell. Seems like it doesn't use the same keybind configs as the RetroArch versions on Android. Saves work normally on the Android RetroArch versions though.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Since they're all sold out on amazon is there a spot to still get them? Or a similar device that would be good enough to run PSP/PSX games?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you want to play psp and psx games, you still can't do any better than just buying a used psp. It'll be cheaper, you'll get 100% guaranteed compatibility, and at this point ones that don't come already hacked are rarer than ones that do

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I wish I knew soldering or electronics or something well enough to jerry rig my own PSP batteries bc the third party ones are the absolute worst and they don't even make OEM ones anymore. If I could just swap out the battery once in a while and get it to last for more than 2 hours I'd pretty much be set for another 10-20 years of pocket emulation.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Sadly, I'm pretty convinced there is input lag on the RP2. I have only used RetroArch but I was playing Super Castlevania and it seemed a little harder than normal and I got to the screen below and died over and over. I'd just fall through the second platform. After trying, I would have to press jump just before I landed on the platform timed just right. I just tried it on zsnes with a Buffalo USB controller and that part played as I remembered it.

Also NES: Mega Man 6 was the first game I bought and I play through it to relax and some parts were tough and some bosses seemed impossible because it felt stiff. Some of it might also be the awkward feel of the buttons and d pad. But going back to the Buffalo controller and emulator made me wish the RP felt as nice as that. This might be an RPG machine for me and I haven't tested other consoles but it's sad to feel that it can't accurately play my favorites. It looks and sounds so good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Android based devices can have input lag

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Fors Yard posted:

Sadly, I'm pretty convinced there is input lag on the RP2. I have only used RetroArch but I was playing Super Castlevania and it seemed a little harder than normal and I got to the screen below and died over and over. I'd just fall through the second platform. After trying, I would have to press jump just before I landed on the platform timed just right. I just tried it on zsnes with a Buffalo USB controller and that part played as I remembered it.

If you can find it somewhere with easy returns I definitely recommend trying to RG351 if you're feeling lag on the RP2. I had the same experience and I'm definitely enjoying the RG351 a lot more.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

roobots posted:

If you can find it somewhere with easy returns I definitely recommend trying to RG351 if you're feeling lag on the RP2. I had the same experience and I'm definitely enjoying the RG351 a lot more.

How does it do with GBA/PSX?

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Meridian posted:

Perfect GBA machine due to it matching GBA's 3:2 screen ratio. PSX performance is rock solid.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
ArkOS makes the 351p pretty much perfect up to PSX. Aspect ratio doesn’t bother me as much as I expected, and I haven’t used the wifi dongle since I did my art scrape.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Decided to order one with the hope that it runs a bit smoother than the RP2. It was a bastard to set that thing up and I am running into performance issues here and there which is annoying.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So I bought one of these last year:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPRu8jT

Honestly I was pretty disappointed with it, snes games were barely playable, much less psx, and the build quality is terrible. The plastic feels like something from the dollar store and the d pad sucks

But now it's much cheaper and there's some community support so I dug it out again and installed cfw and some new roms

It's not bad now. It's no rg350, but simpler games run full speed, and resident evil 2, symphony of the night and every final fantasy up to 9 are worth the price of admission on their own. If you want something that looks cool and plays a whole bunch of games you really can't beat the price.

Black levels are weird in fmvs though for some reason

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
FMVs suck though so who cares.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Meridian posted:

Mine came with quake 2 pre installed and it runs perfectly if that helps :)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Well, turned out I’m not super happy with my Retroid Pocket 2 (haven’t found a front end I’m happy with, and the lack of consistent hot keys between different emulators bothers me), so of course I did the logical thing and ordered an ODroid Go Super as soon as I saw the link.

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-go-super-dim-gray/

Basically the same deal as the ODroid Go Advance (and its many clones), but with a bigger screen. And it looks like there are a lot of OS options since it’s all the same hardware.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Back on my XD for a while, after playing on a RG280V for a little while.

There is one thing I want that as far as I can tell no console offers: dedicated buttons for save/load, turbo hold, and turbo toggle. One more for cycling state slots would be nice, too. Have every emulator recognize these, and hotkey problems are no more.

Up to PS1, you can use L3/R3 for one of those roles (I have it set up for turbo), but that still leaves the others sharing buttons.

Oh, and something I didn't mention before about the RG280V (and I presume the 350p and the 280p, therefore, but I could be wrong), the default PS1 emulator with default settings doesn't do transparency right in FF7.

Reminded me of my old Gemei A330 - game breaking transparency issues on SNES

Weedle
May 31, 2006

got my rg350m yesterday morning. i ordered it from anbernic’s aliexpress store and it got here in five days—not bad. the out of the box experience was pretty good but i didn’t care for the stock launcher and none of the scaling options in the game boy and gba emulators looked good on this display. i installed some more recent versions of those emulators and the games look dramatically better. i also installed simplemenu and set it as the default launcher, and it’s a big improvement in look and usability. you use the shoulder buttons to page through the different systems and you can edit an ini file to configure the organizational scheme and hide systems you’re not using. eventually i may set it up to display box art for all my games but just having a nice clean series of lists instead of something that feels like a counterfeit palm pilot is plenty nice

i’ve also tested the snes, genesis/sega cd (for snatcher), and ps1 emulators and they all work really well. overall build quality and feel is excellent, much better than you would expect from a $125 device. very impressed overall and the community support for these systems is really cool. i went with the 350 over the 351 because the display is better for ps1 games, but if i had known the 351 has half-life i might have sprung for that instead. maybe i’ll upgrade when they do one with good n64 support

here are the updated gb/gba emulators i installed
https://github.com/bardeci/gambatte-dms/releases/download/20210116/gambatte-dms-rg350m-r572u4-20210116.opk
https://github.com/jdgleaver/ReGBA/releases/download/1.7/regba_rg350.opk

and here's the guide i used to set up simplemenu (a hassle but worth it)
https://retrogamecorps.com/2020/08/19/guide-simplemenu-on-the-rg350/

e: oh yeah, one other useful thing: i had to install this driver on my windows 10 pc before i could sftp into the 350m. RNDIS, not rndis11, is the one that worked for me. idk what the difference is
https://github.com/retrogamehandheld/RG-350/blob/master/drivers/windows/RG350-signed_driver.zip

Weedle fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 1, 2021

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
These PlayStation style controllers aren’t cutting it for my Street Fighter needs, is there a controller that anyone recommends for SNES games?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

These PlayStation style controllers aren’t cutting it for my Street Fighter needs, is there a controller that anyone recommends for SNES games?

Usb? If you can find it, I'm a big fan of the pokken controller. Same layout as a SNES controller, but ergo as gently caress. Not sure how it will do for fighting game controls (I don't think pokken uses rotations, but I haven't played it) and my internet is down at the moment so I can't check.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Moot .1415926535 posted:

What console are you using? If you have Bluetooth just get an 8bitDo. You can even pick it up from Best Buy.

Speaking of SNES, half of me wants to get one of these to be strictly an SNES console.

https://retromimi.com/products/pocketgo-s30

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone here have an RG351? I’m thinking of getting one. The retroid 2 is great but I wanna swap the D-pad with the stick.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Several people do. I like mine a lot. Screen ratio isn’t a big deal, wifi isn’t as important as I thought it would be. 3rd party OS makes everything smooth. I use ArkOS.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rolo posted:

Anyone here have an RG351? I’m thinking of getting one. The retroid 2 is great but I wanna swap the D-pad with the stick.

I have one and it's a good solid device, d pad is good, sticks are good, buttons are good.
It came with the PC version of Quake 2 on it and runs it perfectly, so it'll do PS1 stuff no problem, I haven't tried anything above that.
I also have not tried plugging into a TV, I have FTP set up to transfer stuff and it works with Filezilla well enough
I would prefer a bigger screen tbh but what it has works well, that's just my old eyes problem, not the RG's :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
quote is not edit

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i have a 350m and the build quality is tremendously impressive. i would absolutely buy a 351m for the improved software/chipset were it not for the display resolution. 480x320 is perfect for gba but not so good for most everything else vs. the 350's 640x480. i'm sure games look generally fine on the 351 with some filters and stuff applied but i need those crispy pixels

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

It's good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bowmore posted:

It's good.

I'll look into it then! I'll use it as an excuse to brush up on newer devices and refine the OP.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Some Goon posted:

Usb? If you can find it, I'm a big fan of the pokken controller. Same layout as a SNES controller, but ergo as gently caress. Not sure how it will do for fighting game controls (I don't think pokken uses rotations, but I haven't played it) and my internet is down at the moment so I can't check.

Thank you!

Do any of these handhelds include Suikoden 2 in their pre-loaded cards? Never got to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
The preloaded ones on my rg351p were mostly bad romhacks labeled things like "mario57"