Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I put down AC:O well before I got to the DLC, but I feel like by the time I get around to finishing the game I'll get there and just find it nowhere near as bad as these forums have made it out to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The DLC in question is fine, internet people just got internet angry about the main character having a family in a flash forward. It has since been fixed, whatever that means.

The Fate of Atlantis DLC is fantastic though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have been playing assassins creed odyssey and assassins creed origins on and off for the last 4 years and am at like level 30 in both games

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Manager Hoyden posted:

The DLC in question is fine, internet people just got internet angry about the main character having a family in a flash forward. It has since been fixed, whatever that means.

The Fate of Atlantis DLC is fantastic though.

Invalidating a (potentially played as queer) character's sexuality that the devs hyped so much about player choice and wrote well during the main story with the explicit terms 'growing up' is homophobic bullshit and not just some internet people mad issue.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s an unfortunate corner that they backed themselves into, since they decided that Kassandra was the ancestor of a character from another game so for lore reasons she needed to have offspring regardless of her sexuality which is already setting yourselves up for trouble even if you handle it in the most graceful way possible which they very much did not.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Goddamn ACO being 60$ still

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

christmas boots posted:

It’s an unfortunate corner that they backed themselves into, since they decided that Kassandra was the ancestor of a character from another game so for lore reasons she needed to have offspring regardless of her sexuality which is already setting yourselves up for trouble even if you handle it in the most graceful way possible which they very much did not.

Odyssey was the first game in the series that I had played since the original but I had read they'd also dropped the ancestral genetic memory thing too, meaning it had no purpose at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

christmas boots posted:

I know very little about Odyssey, but isn't Kassandra a massive horndog anyway?

I don't think you have to explicitly show that sort of character having sex with a guy the time she gets pregnant to explain them having a descendent. I think people would buy it regardless.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Jan 15, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm not buying that DLC so in my mind she eventually kidnaps a demigod baby to raise as her own.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A wizard isu artifact did it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shiroc posted:

Odyssey was the first game in the series that I had played since the original but I had read they'd also dropped the ancestral genetic memory thing too, meaning it had no purpose at all.

No, they just got rid of the two player characters in the setting being direct descendents, there’s still a bunch of the genetic stuff in the lore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

No, they just got rid of the two player characters in the setting being direct descendents, there’s still a bunch of the genetic stuff in the lore.

Yeah like the game opens with "we're doing this from blood splatters on a spear" and it still ultimately follows a line of people. Like doesn't Kassandra trace directly to the MC from the Egypt one?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Shiroc posted:

Yes and no, genetic memory is still the pretext for how whoever is using the Animus is able to view the memories it's just that now it doesn't have to be the person using the Animus. For a while they were using DNA for Desmond's body and as of the soft reboot in Origins the new protagonist was able to do it just from finding a DNA sample.

For whatever reason they decided that Kassanra was the ancestor of Aya, one of the main characters of Origins and co-founder of the "Hidden Ones" which was basically the first incarnation of the Assassins kinda like how the The Ancient Ones from Origins and the Cult from Odyssey are Proto-Templars. Again I'm not totally sure why it was so important to them to do that, maybe because Kassandra isn't really an assassin and they aren't really a thing they wanted to connect her more directly to the lore through her bloodline? I dunno.

Cleretic posted:

I know very little about Odyssey, but isn't Kassandra a massive horndog anyway?

I don't think you have to explicitly show that sort of character having sex with a guy the time she gets pregnant to explain them having a descendent. I think people would buy it regardless.

It's the same issue you have anytime you give the player agency in one respect and then through plot take it away. You can play Kassandra as a complete lesbian warrior-queen with no interest in men if you want so it's always going to be a swerve if the plot wants to force you to be at least bisexual out of seemingly nowhere. Is it something you could have mentioned offhand in a codex entry that she decided she wanted to have a kid at some point, or buried in a spinoff novel that 90% of players would never read? Sure. Would that have gone over better? Probably.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

christmas boots posted:

It's the same issue you have anytime you give the player agency in one respect and then through plot take it away. You can play Kassandra as a complete lesbian warrior-queen with no interest in men if you want so it's always going to be a swerve if the plot wants to force you to be at least bisexual out of seemingly nowhere. Is it something you could have mentioned offhand in a codex entry that she decided she wanted to have a kid at some point, or buried in a spinoff novel that 90% of players would never read? Sure. Would that have gone over better? Probably.

Also, you have only two options in that DLC about why Kassandra/Alexios had a baby: either the personality-free 'love interest' is their One Twoo Wuv, or they did it for eugenics reasons to combine their magical bloodlines and superpowered DNA.

Anyone who has actually played Odyssey may recognize 'valuing their bloodline for their magical superpower genetics' as the defining motive of the villains.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
No matter the plot context, they also called the goddamn achievement "Growing Up."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema posted:

gently caress it i picked it up

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Mamkute posted:

Whenever you are included in the Special Thanks of the credits.

Semi-related, but there was a gambling game for the NES or SNES that I can't remember the name of (I don't think it was Vegas Dream or Vegas Stakes) that let you enter your "dream" at the beginning of the game. If you were a dumb teenager like me, you would enter "gently caress ME" as your dream, beat the game, and then during the credits the game tells you "YOU WILL gently caress ME"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Now you have to play at least 60 hours or forever be ashamed

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

verbal enema posted:

It was literally £5 post voucher on the epic store a week ago lol

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I played maybe the first couple hours of the first Assassin's Creed and bailed. Kassandra still tempts me, though.

Lately I've just been playing Red Dead Redemption 2/Red Dead Online endlessly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

I played maybe the first couple hours of the first Assassin's Creed and bailed. Kassandra still tempts me, though.

I tried and failed to get into a couple of the earlier ones, Odyssey's definitely worth a shot even if the series hasn't grabbed you already.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

RoboRodent posted:

Lately I've just been playing Red Dead Redemption 2/Red Dead Online endlessly.

The first Assassin's Creed isn't a game. It's a tech demo with a plot attached.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Odyssey is so far removed from the first Assassins Creed all the have in common is a tiny thread of a story line. Don’t let not liking the first one turn you off from playing O.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Some extra incentive for anyone on the fence :black101:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Mamkute posted:

Whenever you are included in the Special Thanks of the credits.

AND CAPCOM ALL STAFF

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Death Stranding little thing: it's an incredibly subtle visual effect, but raindrops land and splash on BTs because they're physical creatures, just invisible ones. If you watch very closely, you can use the raindrops to spot BTs while you are moving and unable to see them.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

owl_pellet posted:

Semi-related, but there was a gambling game for the NES or SNES that I can't remember the name of (I don't think it was Vegas Dream or Vegas Stakes) that let you enter your "dream" at the beginning of the game. If you were a dumb teenager like me, you would enter "gently caress ME" as your dream, beat the game, and then during the credits the game tells you "YOU WILL gently caress ME"

I remember this from the last part of Vegas Stakes, as part of the ending of the game.
If you win the game, you're asked for a wish, the credits roll, then the game tells you "YOU WILL" whatever.

I found a TAS that wishes to "EAT AT JOE'S"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUmoYb-LMlU&t=157s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

christmas boots posted:

Yes and no, genetic memory is still the pretext for how whoever is using the Animus is able to view the memories it's just that now it doesn't have to be the person using the Animus. For a while they were using DNA for Desmond's body and as of the soft reboot in Origins the new protagonist was able to do it just from finding a DNA sample.

It's much older than that; Direct memory sampling hasn't been a thing since ACIII. All of the games since then, for close to a decade now (:corsair:), have run off an Animus version that can use a viable blood sample from anyone. So there's literally no reason for the devs to go down this route except for some really homophobic bullshit.

Even back when it WAS direct ancestry, it wasn't like Altair was the direct lineage of Ezio and Connor either. It's generally inferred to be various branches of the family feeding down into Desmond (ie; Altair might be his mother's, father's, mother's father's, father's great-great grandfather, Ezio's the father's, father's, mother's, etc, etc).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It was literally £5 post voucher on the epic store a week ago lol

haha gently caress

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Dont let not liking the first one turn you off from playing O.

I'll let the intentionally designed grind that I have the privilege of paying extra money to get rid of turn me off instead.

Also the aforementioned queer erasure DLC.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

I'll let the intentionally designed grind that I have the privilege of paying extra money to get rid of turn me off instead.

Also the aforementioned queer erasure DLC.

Fine on the second but what’s the first about?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Death Stranding little thing: it's an incredibly subtle visual effect, but raindrops land and splash on BTs because they're physical creatures, just invisible ones. If you watch very closely, you can use the raindrops to spot BTs while you are moving and unable to see them.

drat, I never noticed that. I did notice that if you tilt the camera all the way up in the rain, the sound changes, like the rain is hitting the "microphone".

And the bad DLC for Odyssey is just "what if more". Another set of cultists to find and kill, blah blah. Atlantis is super worth it though

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Yeah it seems like Ubisoft doesn't mark down their older games; Watch Dogs was the same way. It doesn't make sense to me. Plenty of people wait for the price to drop. If it was $20- as it should be at this point- you'd probably have 100 people buying it for every one who is still willing to pay $60.

Either way, you're better off ordering a used physical copy online.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bony tony posted:

drat, I never noticed that. I did notice that if you tilt the camera all the way up in the rain, the sound changes, like the rain is hitting the "microphone".

The camera blur droplets also flow upwards when you are near BTs. SpooOOoookyyyy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kojima cameras are always a good thing.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Fine on the second but what’s the first about?

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/4/17936292/assassins-creed-odyssey-xp-boost-price

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ancient Greece invented Lesbians, and even if you were gay as all hell(as) you still had a duty to produce children, especially if you were Spartan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Ancient Greece invented Lesbians, and even if you were gay as all hell(as) you still had a duty to produce children, especially if you were Spartan.

Cool we'll argue about realism when the protagonist isn't a literal magic demigod with a teleporting spear and the ability to jump off mountains without injury,

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ImpAtom posted:

Cool we'll argue about realism when the protagonist isn't a literal magic demigod with a teleporting spear and the ability to jump off mountains without injury,

It’s not really realism, there’s a whole plot point about how the superhuman precursor-related people like Kassandra/Alexios need to either reproduce or die out. They even find out that their dad isn’t their dad because of that very fact, their real dad just boned their mom and hosed off to do underwater science poo poo and the point of the DLC story is they take that responsibility on regardless of their wants and needs up to that point.

The player still gets to choose whether the motivation is “this is actually what I want” and “alright let’s get this over with”. I won’t argue that the trophy title of Growing Up isn’t a dumb way of phrasing that, but they weren’t trying to imply anything like “being gay is a phase”, which seems to be the general interpretation when people get mad at it, it’s more about accepting a responsibility to something greater than just themselves.

From another angle it’s kind of wrong to say something like a mostly-human-but-sort-of-not doesn’t have a personal right to determine their own bloodline’s extinction, but I think carrying that particular thread is getting more off topic than we really need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Seems like a rake they didn't really need to step on generally