Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

as expected, iruru is cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
lol, the SA view doesnt have it but if you clickthrough to the post on twitter you see her panties

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

That's iruru

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

The trick is all evolution cares about is that you are able to successfully reproduce. Once you've reproduced and your children are in a position to successfully reproduce as well you enter the blind zone of evolution where whatever happens to you doesn't matter from an evolutionary perspective.

There's a grey zone for more developed organisms that rewards extended life beyond reproductive age insofar as it helps younger generations survive and so forth, but even in species with those sort of complex social dynamics, they typically end up as the first ones who voluntarily or involuntarily are sacrificed for survival when danger or hard times arrive. (we ignore the universal exception, humans.) So there's some evolutionary advantage to longer life, but it requires a bunch of other stuff for it to actually be viable for a given species.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember when people were convinced theyd never put iruru in the anime for some reason

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

remember when people were convinced theyd never put iruru in the anime for some reason

Given what's already in the anime, what's so heinous about Iruru to specifically excise her?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think she's just short and busty?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Endorph posted:

I don’t care enough about Dragon Maid. Why were people convinced this character wouldn’t show up?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
she's short and busty and causes a futa chapter or something idk frankly it was weirder that people were obsessing over the potential of her being included and not the valentines story that they actually adpated into an actual ova that existed years before s2 would ever be announced

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah, iruru isn't a focal point for contentious content any more than any other character. the dick chapter results in roughly the same collar-tug loli/gender-essentialist jokes as the love potion one, so there's not actually something to avoid there (whoops). and she's actually introduced with a character arc unlike, say, lucoa. shes a cool char frankly (also a Cool character. ha ha)

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
All I see is "more dragon maids" and :circlefap:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
hell, same. except im eternally mad that we dont just call it maidragon.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think Iruru is a pretty gross character in the manga but judging by her height next to Torhu in that picture maybe they've aged her up a bit for the anime so it's not quite so bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I think she's just short and busty?

One of the main gags of her character is she has trouble mimicking the human form so her proportions are all unusual

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

So with the spider show. Have the other kids been in the world longer then she has, are the human scenes a time skip, or have they only just been in their bodies a few days or weeks by this point?

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 15, 2021

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

So with the spider show. Have the other kids been in the world longer then she has, are the human scenes a time skip, or have they only just been in their bodies a few days or weeks by this point.

Answering the question would be a spoiler, I think.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Silver2195 posted:

Answering the question would be a spoiler, I think.

Makes sense.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

At this point, the book does mention that they were reincarnated as babies in their new world and they aren't body snatchers or something like that.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Really liking "I'm a spider, so what?" so far. Small Lesser Taratect: No Name is one of the most tenacious and doggedly optimistic protagonists I've read/seen in a while. She really just meets her reality on its own terms and that's fun.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DurosKlav posted:

So with the spider show. Have the other kids been in the world longer then she has, are the human scenes a time skip, or have they only just been in their bodies a few days or weeks by this point?

This is revealed later in the series.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DurosKlav posted:

Pretty sure this is also a spoiler to answer yeah.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Spider show is going exactly how I expected: watching it for our nameless Spider, bored out of my mind during the non-spider parts.

This is why the Manga is the best version of Spider. (The anime is still good, tho.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Back Arrow suddenly giving off extremely strong Gundam vibes. Looks like they just found their White Base and are going to take the whole village along to the Wall while both nations try to murder them.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yuuki Aoi was definitely an inspired choice for no-longer-Lesser-but-still-Small Taratect No Name. She's basically playing it as Hibiki from Symphogear, but a spider, and I'm surprised at how down I am for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

Back Arrow suddenly giving off extremely strong Gundam vibes. Looks like they just found their White Base and are going to take the whole village along to the Wall while both nations try to murder them.
Honestly, I'm getting more of a Xabungle vibe, though that's splitting hairs since, Tomino.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Omnicrom posted:

Yuuki Aoi was definitely an inspired choice for no-longer-Lesser-but-still-Small Taratect No Name. She's basically playing it as Hibiki from Symphogear, but a spider, and I'm surprised at how down I am for that.

She's great, it's a series that rests on the strength of its monologues and Aoi Yuuki really is the best for it and clearly it's going to get even more awesome later.

I don't mind the class mates, I "dislike" them as "people" but probably more an extension of how I dislike generic isekai's but I actually like what the show is doing by adding them in even if it removes some of the mystery aspect. It lets the series cover more ground and better pace the intensity of the action because otherwise it's like the Star Wars death start trench run the entire goddamn time and I can see that exhausting people.

Is anyone thinking of making a thread, I have a WIP OP written up, but if someone else wants to they can.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Tenchi Souzou Design-bu isn’t revolutionary, but is certainly a very fun and enjoyable watch. It’s a shame it’ll probably lost in the sea of high profile anime but it’s comedic, educational and cute. Would recommend.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Jaku-Chara gives me similar vibes to that transitional period of Watamote where Tomoko is slowly just started to "get" it, but where our MC is basically getting an easy mode version of the same story where a lot more people around him are like, actually willing to talk to him and be friendly while a much less amount of the same sort of cringe Tomoko went through.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki - The trope of making a nerdy loner student into a more sociable person isn't new. But frequently, they just magically become popular despite themselves. I kind of dig how they're forcing the MC in this show to actually work at it with an actual plan that sounds reasonable.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

jimmydalad posted:

Tenchi Souzou Design-bu isn’t revolutionary, but is certainly a very fun and enjoyable watch. It’s a shame it’ll probably lost in the sea of high profile anime but it’s comedic, educational and cute. Would recommend.
Agreed. Now we know the real trouble with being a unicorn.

osteoporosis

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Homura and Sickle posted:

of the new shows i've checked out so far

Otherside Picnic: My only real complaint is the crappy cg used for various walk cycle animations. Seems pretty unnecessary and looks bad, but overall very interesting plot and otherwise good direction

Wonder Egg Priority: This one is something special. The themes might be a bit heavy but I am already in love with this show after the first episode. Somehow ended up with two parallel world pseudo horror anime about lesbians with heterochromia this season

Horimiya: Really delightful rom-com, with hints that the romance will actually go somewhere. Hilarious and strong production values throughout, this is definitely an extremely solid show despite not really treading any new ground

moved from a strong dungeon town or whatever who loving cares: Watched because people were saying it was funny. It was awful and boring.

Sk8 the Infinity: they call it studio BONES for a reason :gizz: This is a must watch

bad wixoss idol anime: I dunno why I gave this a shot but it wasn't worth it.

Thanks for the reviews! I hadn't even heard of horimiya until you mentioned it, I enjoyed the first episode. All your other reviews made me trust your sk8 recommendation, and it was good too!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Splode posted:

Thanks for the reviews! I hadn't even heard of horimiya until you mentioned it, I enjoyed the first episode. All your other reviews made me trust your sk8 recommendation, and it was good too!

Horimiya is definitely a great pick for someone who just wants a very funny straightforward hetero romcom a la kaguya sama.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Homura and Sickle posted:

Horimiya is definitely a great pick for someone who just wants a very funny straightforward hetero romcom a la kaguya sama.

I'm a big fan of romcoms in general but they don't generate a lot of discussion, so sometimes I miss them.
This one is particularly well crafted and funny too, even if it is about as generic as they come.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I might swap out Gotoubun s2 for Sk8, I've already read the manga so I already know what happens anyway. And evil clown skaters sound fun.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Baka Yarou is very good and it combines very sharp writing with some inspired character design. So we have Imperial China vs 19th Century Europe duking it out and the 3rd world country on the periphery is Colonial-era America. Who are of course total assholes in their own right. The writers know what they're doing with "they're resisting!"

The show is a tad mean to the cowardly guy, but they're clearly going for some kind of character arc with him.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

DurosKlav posted:

Every time the other kids come up.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Splode posted:

I'm a big fan of romcoms in general but they don't generate a lot of discussion, so sometimes I miss them.
This one is particularly well crafted and funny too, even if it is about as generic as they come.

what's generic about it :confused:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Horimiya is very good so far, yes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Horimiya is still in the will they/wont they stage and introducing the characters and the part of the manga where the tone is still straddling drama with comedy. It's not bad, but the strength of the series is in the comedic portions and Hori and Miyamura actually being a couple.

Everything Burrito posted:

what's generic about it :confused:

It's "generic" insofar as there's no special setting or relationship hooks. No dark pasts for drama. No weird character or setting quirks. Just a bunch of high schoolers goofing off and living their lives and having fun. There's not a wild setting or relationship twist either. It's basically a very good vanilla RomCom.

jimmydalad posted:

:same:
In a season with extremely powerful comfy anime, this is getting blown out of the water, but it's comfy on its own and fairly solid atm. One thing to note, in the official translation, the characters names are changed to various planets as each of those characters has a kanji related to that given planet in their name (so the engineer is Mars since they have the fire kanji in their name and the bird person has the wood(or was it metal?) kanji in their name so they're named Venus). But that's more a translation thing than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xelkelvos posted:

It's "generic" insofar as there's no special setting or relationship hooks. No dark pasts for drama. No weird character or setting quirks. Just a bunch of high schoolers goofing off and living their lives and having fun. There's not a wild setting or relationship twist either. It's basically a very good vanilla RomCom.

I agree w/the bolded parts, and mostly just don't think it's necessary to do some kind of backhanded complement with "it's just some generic romance but it's good" type commentary for it. In fact I think *not* having a bunch of extraneous, superficial quirks and being focused on telling a grounded story with realistic characters makes it very much not generic at all.