Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes that is probably the issue

Unfortunately it didn't work. I made a Windows boot USB, plugged it in, and turned it on. Again, everything lights up, but both monitors I've tried end up with "no signal" or "cable not connected." The boot light went off on the motherboard, which seems good? Still not sure why nothing is popping up on monitors, though. Thanks for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pinball posted:

Unfortunately it didn't work. I made a Windows boot USB, plugged it in, and turned it on. Again, everything lights up, but both monitors I've tried end up with "no signal" or "cable not connected." The boot light went off on the motherboard, which seems good? Still not sure why nothing is popping up on monitors, though. Thanks for your help!
Have you checked all of your motherboard connections?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The arous pro is a good board.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Speaking of wifi chat, a while back I posted this build, and GPU stock issues aside, I'm still looking into the other parts and slowly getting pieces in. I just realized tonight though that I need wifi ability, and my chosen motherboard lacks that. I cannot run wire as it's literally on the other side of the apartment, but the wifi signal is really good. So, Can any of you recommend a wifi solution? Since I haven't purchased the motherboard yet, should I be looking for a different motherboard that supports wifi, or a specific wifi card? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

neogeo0823 posted:

Speaking of wifi chat, a while back I posted this build, and GPU stock issues aside, I'm still looking into the other parts and slowly getting pieces in. I just realized tonight though that I need wifi ability, and my chosen motherboard lacks that. I cannot run wire as it's literally on the other side of the apartment, but the wifi signal is really good. So, Can any of you recommend a wifi solution? Since I haven't purchased the motherboard yet, should I be looking for a different motherboard that supports wifi, or a specific wifi card? Or something else I'm not thinking of?
I use a USB WiFi dongle

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Have you checked all of your motherboard connections?

Yep. I also uninstalled the new GPU to try an old one, swapped out RAM, still no dice. After installing the new video card back in, it won't turn on at all. So I'm just going to take it to the repair shop, throw the components at them, and say please figure this out. If it ends up being the expensive GPU I am going to have an aneurysm. It's also a bit of a bummer; this was supposed to be fun and has ended up being mostly frustrating. I do really appreciate all the help the thread has given me!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

neogeo0823 posted:

here's a similar wi-fi version

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wow, it's slightly cheaper and slightly better than my current pick. Thanks!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pinball posted:

Yep. I also uninstalled the new GPU to try an old one, swapped out RAM, still no dice. After installing the new video card back in, it won't turn on at all. So I'm just going to take it to the repair shop, throw the components at them, and say please figure this out. If it ends up being the expensive GPU I am going to have an aneurysm. It's also a bit of a bummer; this was supposed to be fun and has ended up being mostly frustrating. I do really appreciate all the help the thread has given me!

Before you give up, try the same thing hutzpuh needed and mash whatever the BIOS button is at boot. It’s probably f2.

MSI boards apparently are really lovely at auto detecting where to send video, especially on first boot.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The arous pro is a good board.

How about the other? Saving $30 would be nice since the budget is pretty strict.

I asked about cases before. What's a good all around budget one? I see the H510 a lot and it's $61 right now https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07TC76671/ or the H500 is only $45 from NZXT's site. Also heard the Phanteks P300A is good https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B083LYL7V5

Maybe should go even more budget?

Here's where I'm at right now, but subtract off $46 for getting CPU/mobo at MicroCenter and the PSU at Best Buy with employee discount. After tax it will be $927, just under the $950 budget. Someone has a membrane logitech gamer keyboard and a G502 to give if needed. Oh and add Windows and we're at $942. He'd have to get a mic on his own.

Anything else I should downgrade to try to fit anything else in?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ B&H)
Total: $908.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-14 21:53 EST-0500

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You’ll probably get by, but it wouldn’t hurt to get a 650W PSU. Something like this would be great: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8PJtt6/evga-supernova-g1-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-120-gp-0650-x1

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

nitsuga posted:

You’ll probably get by, but it wouldn’t hurt to get a 650W PSU. Something like this would be great: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8PJtt6/evga-supernova-g1-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-120-gp-0650-x1

That would be $30 more than the one I put in since I'm using my discount on that one. I could get this one for $8 more than the listed one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/season...p?skuId=6414270 It's just semi modular. Pretty much guaranteed to need the cables that aren't modular though. That makes it practically $950 on the nose.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

nitsuga posted:

I mean, why? His estimated wattage is 370W and it doesn't sound like the guy it's intended for is going to be sticking a 3080 in it any time soon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MSI boards apparently are really lovely at auto detecting where to send video, especially on first boot.

can confirm this happened to me as well on an X570 A-Pro, but delete worked for me

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

I mean, why? His estimated wattage is 370W and it doesn't sound like the guy it's intended for is going to be sticking a 3080 in it any time soon.

Or not I guess. I thought a 2080 would have similar needs, but it must be a little less power hungry. Seems like we go back and forth on it all the time too, but yeah, KingKapalone, the 550W should be OK, but the 750W SeaSonic would be fine too. It nets you some peace of mind if you do want to upgrade at some point too.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 15, 2021

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bus hustler posted:

Cinebench is like the most brutal thing on the processor though right? That's an extreme stress test you will pretty much never duplicate in real life no matter how you try*

*during "normal" computing/working/gaming

Think of that as essentially as hot as your system gets and it's not even in the danger zone. My ryzen cools down ridiculously fast even just alt-tabbing from a CPU intensive process.

If you do stuff in Blender or similar I guess that could duplicate the load, but then you're probably better off with just getting a 5900X or 5950X anyway.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I recently swapped out a SATA M.2 SSD from my laptop for a bigger one, and was thinking of sticking it in the spare M.2 slot on my desktop's motherboard. This should work right? I have an NVME drive in the other slot, but I'm not sure if these M.2 slots are backwards compatible.

Also, should I buy one of those aftermarket M.2 heatsinks? My other M.2 drive has a cover with a thermal pad on and it still hits 45 C, and this second one will sit right underneath my GPU's giant heatsink.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

As Butterfly Valley posted, but I've got the next chipset up (B550 Mortar WiFi) and it also works perfectly fine - benefit of the mortar over the bazooka is 801.ax (WiFi 6) support in case you have or were upgrading your router to that the future (though woof it is a bit more expensive now than when I scored one for £120)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RhrYcf/msi-mag-b550m-mortar-wifi-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-b550m-mortar-wifi

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The 3070 is going to struggle in general at 4K. The 3080 struggles to roll 60FPS in some games at 4k with settings turned up (and why bother playing at 4k if you’re turning settings down)?

Just to chime in and say I've got a 3070 and it works really well in 4k at 60 in the majority of cases. Games with RT might need those settings bumped down a little (or DLSS bumped up a bit), but it's great otherwise. Yes, you might not run everything at Ultra, but the increase in resolution is going to make everything look really really good regardless. You might need to bump your texture memory down from "ultra" to "very high" in some cases (I had to do this with Mortal Kombat 11). But otherwise, your games will look georgeous at that resolution. "Very High" presets are still, well, very high.

And honestly, for some of those graphics presets you're unlikely to notice the difference unless you're doing Digital Foundry style side by side stuff.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've spent the past week or so tweaking this build to replace my RIP Core i5 build from May 2012.

What country are you in?
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland :britain:
What are you using the system for? Web and Office. Gaming (nothing too recent, Xbox is my go-to these days). To expand, I'll be reusing my current SSD, HDD ad GPU to keep costs down, but these are easily upgradeable in the future.
What's your budget? As low as is reasonable while not shooting myself in the foot longer term.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£294.12 @ SmartTeck.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler (£24.66 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£134.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case (£99.90 @ Alza)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£78.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £679.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-15 13:20 GMT+0000

A few notes:
1. I know the Ryzen 5600x is overkill for general desktop use, but I'd like the option to add a newer GPU in at some point and not worry about the CPU being underpowered for gaming.
2. I know I could save by going for a case with less USB/older gen USB ports, but I want this machine to last me a long time so I thought it would be good value, rather than going for a Meshify C or something. I also know I could save on a motherboard that wouldn't need more/more recent USB headers. Trying to balance things out here.
3. I only have 8GB 3200MHz RAM here. My understanding is that 16GB 3600MHz RAM may get me a few more FPS in gaming, but since that's not my priority right now, I thought this choice would be a better balance for right now, and is easily replaceable down the line if need-be.
4. I know the CPU comes with its own cooler, but I'm told that a better 3rd party cooler will allow all core boosts when necessary, as opposed to single core boosts with the stock cooler.

I'm happy for feedback on any of these components or notes. Again, I'm trying to spend wisely now to allow future flexibility, rather than save a few quid now.

Thanks goons!

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 15, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm happy for feedback on any of these components or notes. Again, I'm trying to spend wisely now to allow future flexibility, rather than save a few quid now.

With that in mind, a few points:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

1. I know the Ryzen 5600x is overkill for general desktop use, but I'd like the option to add a newer GPU in at some point and not worry about the CPU being underpowered for gaming.

You could save some money by going for a Ryzen 3600 because the Ryzen 5600x looks extremely overpowered in that build. It's a great processor but basically pointless with the rest of it, and a 3600 would still do what you want it to now while allowing you to drop in a decent GPU in the future without bottlenecking it, unless you're going to be spending £500+ on one. If you told us what GPU you currently have and what you'd be expecting to drop in in the future, along with your targeted resolution and refresh rate, that would help.

quote:

2. I know I could save by going for a case with less USB/older gen USB ports, but I want this machine to last me a long time so I thought it would be good value, rather than going for a Meshify C or something. I also know I could save on a motherboard that wouldn't need more/more recent USB headers. Trying to balance things out here.

The b550 chipset makes the most sense currently and regarding a bit of future upgradability so nothing wrong with this.

quote:

3. I only have 8GB 3200MHz RAM here. My understanding is that 16GB 3600MHz RAM may get me a few more FPS in gaming, but since that's not my priority right now, I thought this choice would be a better balance for right now, and is easily replaceable down the line if need-be.

No. No-one is building a new machine with only 8GB of RAM these days, and it's so cheap that there's very little point in not getting 16GB. It's very beneficial for both productivity and gaming. Also you should always buy RAM as kits to make sure they place nice with each other so no it wouldn't be a great idea to drop in another 8GB a few months down the road when you could have spent the extra few quid to get 16GB in the first place.

quote:

4. I know the CPU comes with its own cooler, but I'm told that a better 3rd party cooler will allow all core boosts when necessary, as opposed to single core boosts with the stock cooler.

For the 5600x I'd want to spend a bit more to get a better cooler, from reviews the one you've chosen barely cools better than the stock cooler. For the 3600 it would be fine.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 15, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Butterfly Valley posted:

With that in mind, a few points:

You could save some money by going for a Ryzen 3600 because the Ryzen 5600x looks extremely overpowered in that build. It's a great processor but basically pointless with the rest of it, and a 3600 would still do what you want it to now while allowing you to drop in a decent GPU in the future without bottlenecking it, unless you're going to be spending £500+ on one. If you told us what GPU you currently have and what you'd be expecting to drop in in the future, along with your targeted resolution and refresh rate, that would help.

My current GPU is an AMD Radeon HD 7950 Boost 3GB. Current monitor is a 60Hz 1920x1200 display. Wouldn't mind a 120Hz monitor or something in future but that's a long while away.

quote:

No. No-one is building a new machine with only 8GB of RAM these days, and it's so cheap that there's very little point in not getting 16GB. It's very beneficial for both productivity and gaming. Also you should always buy RAM as kits to make sure they place nice with each other so no it wouldn't be a great idea to drop in another 8GB a few months down the road when you could have spent the extra few quid to get 16GB in the first place.

The 16GB options are double the price though?

quote:

For the 5600x I'd want to spend a bit more to get a better cooler, from reviews the one you've chosen is barely better than stock. For the 3600 it would be fine.

Cheers!

I was thinking of the 5600x for the single threaded performance boost over the 3600.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’d get the 3600 and 16GB over a 5600X and 8GB. Neither will limit your GPU options significantly, but please get 16GB whatever way you go.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've spent the past week or so tweaking this build to replace my RIP Core i5 build from May 2012.

What country are you in?
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland :britain:
What are you using the system for? Web and Office. Gaming (nothing too recent, Xbox is my go-to these days). To expand, I'll be reusing my current SSD, HDD ad GPU to keep costs down, but these are easily upgradeable in the future.
What's your budget? As low as is reasonable while not shooting myself in the foot longer term.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£294.12 @ SmartTeck.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler (£24.66 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£134.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case (£99.90 @ Alza)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£78.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £679.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-15 13:20 GMT+0000

A few notes:

Thanks goons!

Is there any reason you're going full ATX over mATX? The mATX version of that board is £25 less and even comes with wifi https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/PDsnTW/msi-b550m-pro-vdh-wifi-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550m-pro-vdh-wifi
You can use that saving to double up on your RAM to a 2 x 8GB pair https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/h8dxFT/patriot-viper-4-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-pv416g320c6k
Personally I was also on the 3600 or 5600X decision and ended up snagging a 5600X as once a CPU is on I don't like going back and faffing about with the cooler again, but that's just me. You should be able to get one for RRP nowadays when they come into stock at Currys but if you can't wait Scan and CCL both have them for £309 which is what I ended up paying at Box.co.uk

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The 16GB options are double the price though?

An extra ~£25, as has been pointed out, and it would go a long way. Not that this is helpful to you now but you can get RAM for much cheaper; around black friday Amazon were selling 16GB kits for £50 and 32GB for £100. It looks like you're in an unfortunate lull between sales though but still it's absolutely worth the extra cash for 16GB now.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Helping a friend build a PC and I'm debating between a 3600 and a 5600x. I'm going to be loaning him a 1060 6GB for the time being so he can play games while waiting for probably a 3070.

To start, he will just have a 1080p monitor. He will probably upgrade to a 1440p at some point during the summer.

Games he will play: CoD, Apex, WoW, and definitely Diablo 4 when it releases. He has only PC gamed on a laptop before. Otherwise it has been mainly consoles for him. Any advice? I don't mind stalking the discords for the 5600x alerts, and I told him I would buy one when I found one. Trying to keep it around $1300-1400... And now that the 3070's have probably gone up to ~$600-650...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Helping a friend build a PC and I'm debating between a 3600 and a 5600x. I'm going to be loaning him a 1060 6GB for the time being so he can play games while waiting for probably a 3070.

To start, he will just have a 1080p monitor. He will probably upgrade to a 1440p at some point during the summer.

Games he will play: CoD, Apex, WoW, and definitely Diablo 4 when it releases. He has only PC gamed on a laptop before. Otherwise it has been mainly consoles for him. Any advice? I don't mind stalking the discords for the 5600x alerts, and I told him I would buy one when I found one. Trying to keep it around $1300-1400... And now that the 3070's have probably gone up to ~$600-650...

Depends on whether you want to the system to be more future proof and not have to gently caress around with an upgrade in a few years. :shrug: Also whether he wants to play at really high fps. If you were going to be using the PC for 4K, the cpu wouldn't matter so much because you'd be GPU capped anyway. But for 1080p and 1440p, there's a difference between 3600 and 5600x. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTUqd0SUIgI&t=454s

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Welp, looks like I'll be sticking to my original thoughts and scour discord updates for a 5600x. Thanks!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Does 4k medium really look better than 1440p ultra (assuming both viewed on native res)? I'd assume the additional detail was lost by the... turning down the detail sliders.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I did a scientific computing test with my new PC since that was the other use besides gaming.

My old PC (i5-6600K, GTX 960) would run a python script with 6000 mesh points in a calculation and take 20 minutes to complete. It cannot do multi threading so the long computation time is expected.

The new PC (5800x, RTX 3070) can run the script on the new CPU in 2 minutes! And I tried out the RTX and it can execute the same script in 40 secs! So overall huge gains when messing about with scientific computing. Not a surprise with the 8c CPU but so far I’m very happy with this build.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Welp, looks like I'll be sticking to my original thoughts and scour discord updates for a 5600x. Thanks!

You've been around in the thread, but a friendly reminder that if you have a Microcenter anywhere close to you, it could be fruitful. My Microcenter right this second:

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
My sons B-day is coming up and I want to pep up his PC. Right now he's using an HP Pavillion 690 with an AMD 1700, and some AMD laptop GPU R9 something something.

I had a phanteks 400a coming, bought a gtx970 from SA mart, and have a MSI B350 gaming pro carbon leftover from my last upgrade, and a spare 500gb SDD

What is the best bang for my buck going forward? I was thinking of snagging a 3600 from ebay?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Boxman posted:

You've been around in the thread, but a friendly reminder that if you have a Microcenter anywhere close to you, it could be fruitful. My Microcenter right this second:

I wish I had a microcenter near me :( Chicago ones are the closest but that traffic sucks and still a ~2.5 hour round trip. Also, out of stock in Chicago.

Just checked Milwaukee PC stores and they have them in stock but selling them for $365. A drat shame.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 15, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bus hustler posted:

Does 4k medium really look better than 1440p ultra (assuming both viewed on native res)? I'd assume the additional detail was lost by the... turning down the detail sliders.

This is going to depend on the size of the screen and how close to the screen you sit. At certain screen sizes and viewing distances, the advantages of 4k will be almost completely lost for instance.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Dial M for MURDER posted:

My sons B-day is coming up and I want to pep up his PC. Right now he's using an HP Pavillion 690 with an AMD 1700, and some AMD laptop GPU R9 something something.

I had a phanteks 400a coming, bought a gtx970 from SA mart, and have a MSI B350 gaming pro carbon leftover from my last upgrade, and a spare 500gb SDD

What is the best bang for my buck going forward? I was thinking of snagging a 3600 from ebay?

1600AF (YD1600BBAFBOX) for $142 new or 3600 for $199 new yeah, or slightly cheaper used, I see maybe a 1600AF for 125ish. The 1600AF is basically zen+ 2600. It's still a great chip, depends if you plan to upgrade the GPU or are more concerned with saving a few bucks now.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Boxman posted:

Yeah, if any of you are in the NYC metro area, the Yonkers Microcenter has 5600x, 5800x, etc series CPUs and 1660 Supers in stock (and this bad boy: https://www.microcenter.com/product...0-graphics-card)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hello. Can you help me?

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? $600 ideally. Max $800.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? My monitor is an old Samsung SyncMaster P2450. I run at 1080p 60 Hz.

I currently have the following system specs:

Processor: INTEL Core i5-3750 @3.40GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P877-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77
RAM:CORSAIR Dominator DDR3 1600 @16GB
Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX1050ti
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650
SDD: SAMSUNG EVO 860 @1TB
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Mid Tower.

My goal is to be able to play any/nearly all modern games at near, close to near max detail as possible at 60fps or better on 1080p and/or 1440p resolution. What I would LOVE to be able to do is be able to play flight simulator games with a VR headset--however I have a feeling this is out of reach. I am not demanding on the level of detail in VR so long as it is mid range, if I can even achieve this.

The games I play most or would like to improve their performance are:

Jedi Fallen Order (and other platformers like the Tomb Raider series, Arkham series, and Shadow of Mordor/War)
Star Wars Squadrons
IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles series
Sea of Thieves
Warhammer: Vermintide II

My current computer can play these titles, and surprisingly well, however the time is limited and things like stutters and hitching are a common problem in games like Star Wars Squadrons/Jedi Fallen Order/Sea of Thieves. I also make lots of concessions on modern titles' settings to play them well.

I am not willing to buy a graphics card unless it somehow was an amazing deal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now my major bottleneck is the processor. I feel like I can get some good life out of the 1050ti still, even if I have to forego VR and I am totally willing to do that.

My question for you, and where I am asking for help, is what are your recommendations? I have gone to PCPartpicker and looked at their $600 build and $1000 build but I am not sure what I should sacrifice or what I should go for.

I intended on reusing my optical drive, case, monitor, and graphics card for the time being.

This is a list of parts I have come up with, but PC Parts Picker said there was an issue with the MOBO and PSU in that the MOBO needs another 4 pin ATX connection when I input a Corsair RMx series as the OP suggests.

Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz
Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 @ 16GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler (need help here)
Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E Gaming ATX LGA 1200

And as noted I need help with a PSU.

Thoughts? I appreciate your help.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 15, 2021

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

dialhforhero posted:

I am not willing to buy a graphics card unless it somehow was an amazing deal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now my major bottleneck is the processor. I feel like I can get some good life out of the 1050ti still, even if I have to forego VR and I am totally willing to do that.

Side note: I was running VR just fine on a 970, so by the principle of number bigger I'd think VR would still be in your reach. I might be way off on that, though, and it was the original Oculus Rift so maybe the newer ones need more.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Where am I supposed to ask for help regarding the actual building of the PC?

Yes, I'm an idiot. I haven't done this in forever. Some things I've forgotten and some things are totally new. I've never seen a PSU shroud or an M2 drive before.

It's a Fractal Define 7 case, Corsair RM750x PSU (fully modular), MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi mobo (I managed to flash the BIOS for my 5600x, yay! :dance: )

Can I remove the PSU shroud? Do I have to attach all the cables I might need before I slide in the PSU?

Is there something I need to know before I mount the mobo? Or is it just placing it right down and adding screws?

I seem to be missing an I/O panel too. It wasn't in the case box.

A comprehensive video guide for dummies would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Sarcastro posted:

Side note: I was running VR just fine on a 970, so by the principle of number bigger I'd think VR would still be in your reach. I might be way off on that, though, and it was the original Oculus Rift so maybe the newer ones need more.

IIRC the 970 performs as well as a 1060. The 970 was a beast and I think a lot of last gen and earlier titles still say the 970 is the “recommended” card :v: