Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Some days it's fun to remember the times of the Sacred Rubber Sapling and its terrifying server destroying powers.

For reference:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
It still baffles me that the MFR dev put it in as a rare drop from regular rear end rubber trees. You would eventually get one from a rubber tree farm, and if you didn't know any better you'd plant it and wipe out possibly your entire base. It should have been creative mode only.

As for GTNH I recommend the redwood sapling type you can plant just one of and get a tree out of it. It's tall, but not unreasonably so, and chops very easily with a lumber axe.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

McFrugal posted:

It still baffles me that the MFR dev put it in as a rare drop from regular rear end rubber trees. You would eventually get one from a rubber tree farm, and if you didn't know any better you'd plant it and wipe out possibly your entire base. It should have been creative mode only.

As for GTNH I recommend the redwood sapling type you can plant just one of and get a tree out of it. It's tall, but not unreasonably so, and chops very easily with a lumber axe.

I remember power crystals getting annoyed at people because he did not put it in as a drop, it was creative-only and people were adding it as chest loot or drops in modpacks.

Then someone picked up MFR after power crystals stepped away and whoops, now it's a normal rubber tree drop.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The main thing about RedPower's rubber trees that I remember is that, much like the volcanoes, they were obnoxiously huge and loving everywhere. They got a lot of complaints because they were broadly disliked.

The mod author's response was that, when RedPower was broken up into distinct modules so you could install only the parts you want, the trees and volcanoes were in the Machine portion which contained all the poo poo people actually wanted, because gently caress you, Eloraam's got a ~vision~ and you will adhere to it. :cripes:

There's a lot of modding attitudes that have thankfully died out as the people that held them left the scene, and were gradually replaced by people who thought that no, actively disrespecting your player's time is actually not cool, this isn't an early-oughts MMO. You still get a few holdouts like GregTech, but at least for that, you know what you're getting into and presumably want a bunch of punishingly fiddly bullshit.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

MechaCrash posted:

The mod author's response was that, when RedPower was broken up into distinct modules so you could install only the parts you want, the trees and volcanoes were in the Machine portion which contained all the poo poo people actually wanted, because gently caress you, Eloraam's got a ~vision~ and you will adhere to it. :cripes:

The reason mods got split up into multiple parts like that was so mod authors could get 8-16 times more adfly revenue for their own mod. No one, and I mean no one ever installed anything but the entire kit of modules offered.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Helpful GTNH tip: If you make large volumetric flasks, be aware that they can only transfer at most 1000mB a click. This confused the heck out of me for a while.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

I remember power crystals getting annoyed at people because he did not put it in as a drop, it was creative-only and people were adding it as chest loot or drops in modpacks.

Then someone picked up MFR after power crystals stepped away and whoops, now it's a normal rubber tree drop.

Oh, so for once the original mod author was more reasonable than the person who continued development.
Still, I think power crystals should've just removed the sapling from the mod once people started misusing it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Got bored and decided to waste some materials making my Pam's Traps hopper into tin pipes and into a chest and...

...is there a Steam Age way to make the hoppers not take out the bait

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i sort of miss the modding revolution when things like minefactory reloaded and thermal engineering kicked in, giving you effective and easy Boxes What Do Automation Without Bullshit blocks

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Patware posted:

Got bored and decided to waste some materials making my Pam's Traps hopper into tin pipes and into a chest and...

...is there a Steam Age way to make the hoppers not take out the bait

Those things are annoying the hell out of me. I can't figure out a single way to place bait into that block. also, the only way i'm seeing to pull things out of it without also pulling from the input is with something with a blacklist filter, like enderio conduits or the gregtech item filter blocks with a conveyor cover. i was going to automate them but i'm at a loss. if anyone else has i'd love to hear it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Hooplah posted:

Those things are annoying the hell out of me. I can't figure out a single way to place bait into that block. also, the only way i'm seeing to pull things out of it without also pulling from the input is with something with a blacklist filter, like enderio conduits or the gregtech item filter blocks with a conveyor cover. i was going to automate them but i'm at a loss. if anyone else has i'd love to hear it.

Pam traps are annoying and terrible in that as soon as you place bait in it, it consumes one to activate the trap. However it only functions while it has bait in it, consuming one each time it produces items. In other words, a single bait never actually functions it just vanishes and it "deactivates" again. They're kind of terrible and it's easier to just get the animals and make a traditional farm. I can't really think of a way to automate them short of filtering capable blocks like you mentioned.

GT fish traps however are awesome and a huge spread of them is the cornerstone of a biodiesel production setup. They even fish up the occasional emerald or gold nugget.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

melting down fish to turn them into electricity is an odd thought

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I haven't had too much use for animals in GTNH yet. I did set up a chickens-on-a-hopper setup for collecting eggs, but now I have a full barrel of eggs and nothing to use them for. :v: For everything other than that, I just use lots of soybeans. 1.7.10 Pam's is pretty unbalanced^H^H^H^H good.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:yeshaha:

(when you break Primal Shrooms, they explode into vis for your wand to collect, so now I don't have to run around and hit up nodes or tech up to centivis)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the watering can grows them super fast if you weren't already aware! it's a little tedious for getting lots of different crafts consecutively, but it gets the job done.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

the watering can grows them super fast if you weren't already aware! it's a little tedious for getting lots of different crafts consecutively, but it gets the job done.

Yep -- you may notice that I only made 9 and grew them in a 3x3 square. :haw:

Also another thing I found out -- the focus of equal trade can trade all of those stupid 5-minutes-per-block multiblock bulk construction blocks, like the clean room walls, for dirt. I'll actually be able to move my cleanroom now!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

turning your cleanroom into a filthroom

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What are people playing for tech-packs nowadays? I like my minecraft with a side of factorio.

I will say that a lot of packs I've found lately seem to have sidelined Thermal Expansion which I think is a shame because I find it to be much more approachable than GregTech, so anything with a less hardcore option is preferable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if you want factorio, create has belts and trains i guess :v:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's the computer that has insanely massive storage and let's you pull stuff onto a crafting table within the computer, and also whilst you're away from the computer (with a little handheld wireless gadget)? I really want to make one but I completely forgot what it's called and ATM6 has so many different parts.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Applied Energistics 2 with some extension mod to allow for wireless crafting.

And/or Refined Storage; both are present in ATM6

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Pam traps are annoying and terrible in that as soon as you place bait in it, it consumes one to activate the trap. However it only functions while it has bait in it, consuming one each time it produces items. In other words, a single bait never actually functions it just vanishes and it "deactivates" again. They're kind of terrible and it's easier to just get the animals and make a traditional farm. I can't really think of a way to automate them short of filtering capable blocks like you mentioned.

GT fish traps however are awesome and a huge spread of them is the cornerstone of a biodiesel production setup. They even fish up the occasional emerald or gold nugget.

Well, a traditional farm will require manual collection of items anyway via killing the mobs. Also I don't think rabbits are in the game so the ground traps are the only way to get rabbit meat. The pam's fish trap is I think the only way to get some fish types as well. Rabbit meat and rare fish are the only real concerns there though, so once you have those eaten you can stop using pam traps.

Oh, to everyone else: one of the fish from GT fish traps doesn't actually melt down so you'll need to filter it out alongside the other junk.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Definitely go with an EnderIO Farming Machine and spruce or jungle saplings for tree farming. What I do is make a netherrack lumber axe and just chop trees until it hits 5 open modifiers, then add paper, thaumium for 2 more modifiers, obsidian for reinforced 3, then 7 obsidian large plates for reinforced X, which makes it unbreakable. The farming machine doesn't even need full power all the time so a few solar panels will give it enough juice to check the trees occasionally and chop them down.

So I tried making one of these, and it doesn't quite work.

* You can't make paper tool parts at all in GT:NH.
* Thaumic doesn't add a modifier.
* Magical wood DOES, but it only works once, and requires Carminite from the Ur-Ghast tower to craft.

So my axe is currently at reinforced IX. That being said, I think I can just go out and grind more tool XP and get another modifier that way, so it ought to still work. Just a heads-up for anyone else who got ideas based on this.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

* Magical wood DOES, but it only works once, and requires Carminite from the Ur-Ghast tower to craft.

So my axe is currently at reinforced IX. That being said, I think I can just go out and grind more tool XP and get another modifier that way, so it ought to still work. Just a heads-up for anyone else who got ideas based on this.

Might be dreaming, but I'm pretty sure GT:NH paper tool parts need paper stacks. Craft 9 paper or something per 1.

edit: looked it up. 64 paper per TiCon crafting item, in a compressor.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 16, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

Might be dreaming, but I'm pretty sure GT:NH paper tool parts need paper stacks. Craft 9 paper or something per 1.

edit: looked it up. 64 paper per TiCon crafting item, in a compressor.

You can make the paper stacks just fine. You can't turn around craft the paper stacks into tool parts. They're disabled; I asked in the GTNH chat room and that's what one of the devs told me.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You need to make a paper stack in a compressor, I believe, it takes like 64 paper per unit. Because of course you do.
It may have changed in the most recent update but Thaumic has worked for me every time I've used it?

You might still be able to add the extra modifier with a diamond and a block of gold.

Edit - oh poo poo i should read the posts below the one that quotes me. TOO LATE. Weird because I've definitely made paper tool parts before, must have been a recent change.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You need to make a paper stack in a compressor, I believe, it takes like 64 paper per unit. Because of course you do.
It may have changed in the most recent update but Thaumic has worked for me every time I've used it?

You might still be able to add the extra modifier with a diamond and a block of gold.

Edit - oh poo poo i should read the posts below the one that quotes me. TOO LATE. Weird because I've definitely made paper tool parts before, must have been a recent change.

I just ended up grinding out one more modifier from tool XP. Wasn't a big deal. I now have an unbreakable axe for my ender IO farmer. :toot:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Another way to make an unbreakable tool is to slap a part on it that gives Reinforced IV(unstable parts might be easiest), then put 3 additional modifiers on it via the special mods, then you only need 3 mods from levels to fit enough obsidian to get to reinforced X.
You can also just make a tool entirely out of unstable parts, but that costs a LOT of diamonds for the heavier tools since you have to craft semi-stable nuggets.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so I'm in LITW:R and I want to use a bedrock flattening mod, I have Xplosion's FlatBedrock mod and it worked fine before, but suddenly it's not working despite nothing changing aside from switching to Hungry Mode in LITW. I can't figure out what's causing it not to work anymore, not sure why Hungry Mode would break it if that's the cause. The mod page says to edit something in the folder, but there is no folder, just the mod file itself, and as far as I can tell there's no folder inside said mod file.

And the link to UniversalCore, which it supposedly should be run with(even though I didn't have it before and it still worked) is broken, so I can't try that option. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

edit: also, is there a cooking for blockheads style mod for 1.7.10 that makes finding what you can actually cook with what materials you have on hand easier than thumbing through the recipe list?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 17, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Figuring out Mana and Artifice is pretty rough, not sure if the mod maker is trying for obscure or just doesnt have a good grasp on either English or organization.
I did finally make it up to constructs though.
FYI don't silktouch coal, you need a crystal that drops from coal ore to make a few things in M&A.
Or maybe go half and half.

I need to watch some more videos or something, because I still can't figure out how to make him do anything.

Making a Construct

Cute little bugger

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Alright, my 1.16.4 server is up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955856

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

OgNar posted:

Figuring out Mana and Artifice is pretty rough, not sure if the mod maker is trying for obscure or just doesnt have a good grasp on either English or organization.
I did finally make it up to constructs though.
FYI don't silktouch coal, you need a crystal that drops from coal ore to make a few things in M&A.
Or maybe go half and half.

I need to watch some more videos or something, because I still can't figure out how to make him do anything.

Making a Construct

Cute little bugger

I'd be a lot more willing to give Mana and Artifice a try if it didn't slap an unremovable status bar onto the UI.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Finally got Refined Storage up and running and this computer makes life so much easier. It's not a chore anymore to craft stuff, I wish I'd made it sooner.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Qubee posted:

Finally got Refined Storage up and running and this computer makes life so much easier. It's not a chore anymore to craft stuff, I wish I'd made it sooner.
Me, every single playthrough ever.

Although with tinkers crafting bench and the mods that give you reasonable hotkeys to interface with your inventory/chests it's not that bad without it. That all seems missing from 1.15/1.16 though.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Weembles posted:

I'd be a lot more willing to give Mana and Artifice a try if it didn't slap an unremovable status bar onto the UI.

You can toggle the display from the Codex Arcana, I've got mine displaying only while being used

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's up with Mekanism not meshing well? I've got a basic fluid tank filled with magma, a basic mechanical pipe (or whatever it's called) and a magmator for energy production. I wanted to have magma automatically feed into it so I don't have to keep using a bucket to fill it, but I can't get it to work. Even using the configurator to push (from the fluid tank) and pull (into the magmator). Am I doing something stupid or? The fluid tank has been placed two blocks above and the mechanical pipe connects to the bottom of it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Mekanism can get super pissy with its configuration so make sure you're setting outputs/inputs correctly as it has separate tabs for liquids/gases/items/energy. And which fluid tank are you using? If it's Mekanism's try the configurator.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 17, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Qubee posted:

What's up with Mekanism not meshing well? I've got a basic fluid tank filled with magma, a basic mechanical pipe (or whatever it's called) and a magmator for energy production. I wanted to have magma automatically feed into it so I don't have to keep using a bucket to fill it, but I can't get it to work. Even using the configurator to push (from the fluid tank) and pull (into the magmator). Am I doing something stupid or? The fluid tank has been placed two blocks above and the mechanical pipe connects to the bottom of it.

You want the pipe to Pull from the fluid tank and Push into the magmator.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Had push and pull mixed round, that sorted it. I'm starting to think using Mekanism piping is going to be a major pain in the rear end. Is there a pipe mod that you recommend? Cyclic cables? There's one that lets you ender transfer items using a block that has "point" in the name. You can just attach it to stuff and it teleports items across, but I can't remember which mod it's a part of.

And yeah, Mekanism is really prissy, and I can't seem to manage the input / outputs without a bunch of trial and error. Even using the configurator and rotate, I've got no idea which side is front / left / right without toying around with the outputs until I can figure out what side is what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
In GT:NH the block of gold + diamond = extra modifier works. Also think diamond block and enchanted golden apple = extra modifier and nether star = extra modifier but I've not tried them myself.