Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Caleb got his rear end killed with 30 regiments in one go on Palmyra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Got bit by Battletech and painted this guy up in Demon Hawks colours.

Also suddenly this appeared, what colour should I use for it?

Someone was asking about clear colours over metallics - the Atlas is done with Citadel Contrast Blood Angels Red over Vallejo Metal Colour applied with an airbrush.

From pre-Contrast, this is about 3-4 layers of GW Spiritstone Red and GW Bloodletter Glaze mixed. Far more troublesome.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

Caleb got his rear end killed with 30 regiments in one go on Palmyra.

Also they actually abided by the disarmament treaties like a bunch of morons

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Draconis Combine has always historically been really, really good at attacking the Federated Suns.

And really loving terrible at holding anything they take.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

And really loving terrible at holding anything they take.

The Dieron Military District?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was referring to Kentares.

House Kurita has always had House Davion's number, but then tends to lose ground after their initial victories. We'll see how Steve Rogers Davion does now that Devlin Stone isn't backing him up.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I bet they're really wishing comstar was still around to make sure nobody did too much better than anyone else.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Wait, is that a Rattler? Sick as hell.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

raverrn posted:

Wait, is that a Rattler? Sick as hell.

Rattler Mk2, always wanted a model since I first saw the concept art years ago. Found one on Thingiverse and had it printed by Defiance Industries (lol).

I just need to figure out how to paint it. Are there any canon schemes for these things or will it just be grey grey grey.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

That print is super cool! And great paintjobs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Z the IVth posted:

Rattler Mk2, always wanted a model since I first saw the concept art years ago. Found one on Thingiverse and had it printed by Defiance Industries (lol).

I just need to figure out how to paint it. Are there any canon schemes for these things or will it just be grey grey grey.

The Rattler was only ever fielded by the WoBM, so I hope you're good at painting whites.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
gently caress canon paint it what you want to

Especially since you will probably never actually use it in a game

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

gently caress canon paint it what you want to

Agreed. If you want to paint it like construction equipment because the Word of Blake was camouflaging it to hide it at a mine, go for it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I mean you can paint it whatever you want, but if someone asks what the canon schemes are I'm not going to refuse to answer their question. Same as if someone says "Hey I want to make a Steiner lance, what are some good mechs?" it's not helpful to respond "just field any mech you want!"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Bro does the (ilClan spoilers) fall of the Republic mean we won't get any more Laments? I loved that mech

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All mechs coming out of Terra will be named the something wolf from now on.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Actually a Steiner lance can consist of basically any mech

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
I suppose the correct question would be - is there any canonical description how are these sorts of vehicles normally painted? Like mechs don't strictly need camo because they light up on the MRI (I think that was the technobabble). Would someone go through the effort of painting camo on it or would most of them be in parade-ish colours or factory grey?

Though now that PTN has said it I'm tempted to copy the Deserts of Kharak yellow and black scheme as OSHA camo.

Defiance Industries posted:

"Hey I want to make a Steiner lance, what are some good mechs?"

4 Atlases and an Urbanmech?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

From pre-Contrast, this is about 3-4 layers of GW Spiritstone Red and GW Bloodletter Glaze mixed. Far more troublesome.

That's amazing.

On my own front, continuing to practice. I did a very haphazard black ink wash on the shadowhawk I'd been working on.

Also finishing up my 4th mech, a Crusader.

A little zenethal highlighting

metal layer and undercoats

I mixed a little bit of brown in to my red and yellow, I wanted to see if I could get a bit more muted colors. Not super thrilled. The red feels about the same as the Shadowhawk (Despite feeling much muddier on the palette). The yellow is ok in small areas, but the arm feels very grainy and flat- I'll probably touch up a thin layer of un-browned yellow just in hopes it looks better.

Also I did 2 different red/browns- a brighter one for the 'top facing' planes, and a slightly darker red/brown for the 'bottom facing' planes. I need to look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow, but I feel like it didn't make all that much of a difference aside from making it seem weirdly uneven.

Edit- I think part of the problem is the printing of the lower arms has all those little ridges on them...and it's hard to not make them look weird.

Still also need to do a wash on the Crusader.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 15, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Z the IVth posted:

I suppose the correct question would be - is there any canonical description how are these sorts of vehicles normally painted? Like mechs don't strictly need camo because they light up on the MRI (I think that was the technobabble). Would someone go through the effort of painting camo on it or would most of them be in parade-ish colours or factory grey?

From a realistic standpoint, everything on both sides is probably painted in the same identical camo scheme. It's not super effective, but it is very cheap.

Usually people paint in parade colors because that's more fun, and also because it helps players tell which units are on which side at a glance.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I had gone this entire time without seeing what I assume is the MechWarrior Online Crusader, and holy poo poo do I not like it.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Strobe posted:

I had gone this entire time without seeing what I assume is the MechWarrior Online Crusader, and holy poo poo do I not like it.

It's one of the 'proposed' ones, I don't think it's actually in the game.

I think the other one I've seen is worse

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I wasn't super impressed with the Kickstarter Crusader overall (or the Crusader in general, tbh) but holy poo poo it's incomparably better than both of those. How the hell do you have worse detailing as a modern PC game model than a plastic miniature?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Strobe posted:

I wasn't super impressed with the Kickstarter Crusader overall (or the Crusader in general, tbh) but holy poo poo it's incomparably better than both of those. How the hell do you have worse detailing as a modern PC game model than a plastic miniature?

I just tracked down that catalyst one- I like it and can't wait to get one somehow. It's definitely better than both.

Also I tend to like the Crusader as a sort of weird SRM-boat like the Kintaro. Also just as a mech that I think is underappreciated elsewhere.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

It's one of the 'proposed' ones, I don't think it's actually in the game.

I think the other one I've seen is worse

"Hey what's the defining characteristic of the Crusader?"

"Big LRM cuffs"

"Put the launchers in the side torso."

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I just tracked down that catalyst one- I like it and can't wait to get one somehow. It's definitely better than both.

Also I tend to like the Crusader as a sort of weird SRM-boat like the Kintaro. Also just as a mech that I think is underappreciated elsewhere.

The Crusader definitely gets no respect. It was supposed to be the most common heavy in 3025 but there's not really any notable pilots or times a Crusader did a cool thing. And yeah it's a suboptimal weight, but so is the Thunderbolt and people like that.

I think it's a good generalist machine that doesn't translate well to Star League tech and on. It's okay-tough, okay-mobile, has some long range weapons and some close range weapons. But then other stuff came around and it was easier to be all these things so it didn't really feel like it had a thing in the way that, say, an Archer still does. The MML Crusaders are a good fit for the Crusader's idea, but they came way too late and by the time they were out, the Crusader was the Unseen heavy we all forgot about.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 15, 2021

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Crusader definitely gets no respect. It was supposed to be the most common heavy in 3025 but there's not really any notable pilots or times a Crusader did a cool thing. And yeah it's a suboptimal weight, but so is the Thunderbolt and people like that.

I think it's a good generalist machine that doesn't translate well to Star League tech and on. It's okay-tough, okay-mobile, has some long range weapons and some close range weapons. But then other stuff came around and it was easier to be all these things so it didn't really feel like it had a thing in the way that, say, an Archer still does. The MML Crusaders are a good fit for the Crusader's idea, but they came way too late and by the time they were out, the Crusader was the Unseen heavy we all forgot about.

Yeah, the MMLs solve a lot of problems. Although I also solve a lot of problems by pretending nothing past ~3048 exists.

Crusaders and Thunderbolts are also ones I like to reimagine with reinforced structures and/or hardened armor. Just big slabs of metal to lead a battle-line.

Edit- also I see we're forgetting Galen Cox? I think he did something cool in a Crusader at some point? Did he knock out Victor with big LRM hands maybe?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 15, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I said a notable pilot who did cool things and neither of those things apply to him. He knocked out Victor with a punch to make him leave at one point, but it was on foot. Given how long Victor stays unconscious after, it's very likely he suffered brain damage from the whole thing.

Which explains a lot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Crusader also has the problematic distinction of having 10 single heat sinks and multiple locations that have ammo and literally nothing else, so even swapping to DHS both 1) doesn't save you any tonnage, at all, and 2) doesn't help you manage the inescapable bombs in every torso. The best upgrade I can think of that keeps it mostly Crusader-y is to swap to Endo, remove the MGs, swap to DHS and add a couple entirely for crit-padding, and make the SRMs into Streaks on the off-chance that at point blank you miss with both and get to kick despite having declare weapons in those locations.

It still doesn't inspire confidence.

The Crusader 5K is actually interesting with its huge number of MRMs, but that one also comes too late to really matter.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

"Hey what's the defining characteristic of the Crusader?"

"Big LRM cuffs"

"Put the launchers in the side torso."

There's a big community asset pack for the BT PC game that adds a bunch of mechs of *very* variable levels of quality ranging from surprisingly good looking/ripped MWO assets to "I'm pretty sure the Imp is just a bigger Urbanmech model with different arms"

The Crusader's actually pretty okay looking except the LRM launchers are in the shoulderpads.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

The Crusader also has the problematic distinction of having 10 single heat sinks and multiple locations that have ammo and literally nothing else, so even swapping to DHS both 1) doesn't save you any tonnage, at all, and 2) doesn't help you manage the inescapable bombs in every torso. The best upgrade I can think of that keeps it mostly Crusader-y is to swap to Endo, remove the MGs, swap to DHS and add a couple entirely for crit-padding, and make the SRMs into Streaks on the off-chance that at point blank you miss with both and get to kick despite having declare weapons in those locations.

It still doesn't inspire confidence.

The Crusader 5K is actually interesting with its huge number of MRMs, but that one also comes too late to really matter.

I actually like the kick SRMs. It's got the LRMs in its arms and the hand actuators so it's there to encourage you to punch instead. Not always the most optimal move in terms of pure damage, but I see what they're doing there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Crusader's bad. The new Catalyst version makes me hate it slightly less, but I think the concept art came out better than the final 3D model.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is there a consolidated place to see all the redesigns? Or is the best option to just scroll through all the updates on the kickstarter page?
nevermind

Also I'm glad we all agree the Crusader is good and we all want to pilot one in our imaginations :)

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 15, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Baron Porkface posted:

How did the Fedsuns get blitzed the way they did at the start of Shattered Fortress?

Era Report 3145/Field Manual 3145.
Caleb Davion, a schizophrenic rapist First Prince of the Federated Suns, wanted to launch a huge invasion of one of his neighbors. He was originally going after the Capellan Confederation, but then the Draconis Combine finally succeeded in conquering the "Draconis Reach" (Basically a no man's land of 10 planets between them) using the Wolf's Dragoons to do it.

Caleb decided to switch targets and concentrated 13 regiments of Mechs on a single planet (Palmyria) with 1 of the 2 Davion warships (About 20% of House Davion military at the time). He also coordinated these plans with his "allies" Clan Snow Raven. Clan Snow Raven gave the plans to the Draconis Combine, who showed up with two warships, and proceeded to completely lay waste to the planet. Caleb was killed and the Davions lost 20% oftheir military in a single week or two.

Then the Capellans jumped in and attacked with their 50+ regiments. So now the Davions are defending against 40 Combine regiments, 50 Capellan regiments with only 33 or so Davion regiments.

Shattered Fortress Spoilers
Eventually, the lords of New Avalon choose Julian Davion as the next First Prince, and bring him back from Steiner space. Along the way, Julian stops in Fortress Republic and is given a free Assault regiment from Devlin Stone, in exchange for promising to help when the time comes for the Republic. So Julian arrives with 3 regiments of troops. The Capellans get caught in an embarrassing trap and agree to a cease-fire, which Julian breaks to reclaim New Syrtris, before nearly losing it to a Liao mega-terrorism attacks and counter-attack.

The Draconis Combine meanwhile continues to roll through House davion and captures New Avalon. The Republic when it drops its fortress wall first goes and helps the Federated Suns liberate a bunch of their planets, before shifting back to focusing on the Clans.

Julian gets some breathing room because the Draconis Combine freaks out over the Republic attacks, and the Capellans are obsessed with getting to Terra.

Hour of the Wolf Spoilers
Clan Wolf and Jade Falcon invade Terra and Devlin Stone asks Julian to return the favor. Julian says "That's a naw from me dawg", and Devlin Stone gets crushed".

This is actually really bad for Julian because now the only thing holding the Capellans and Combine from turning back and attacking his nation again, the Republic is now dead. The Capellans and Combine have ZERO neighbors interested in loving with them, although maybe the Capellans will want to attack the Wolves on Terra? Lol who am I kidding the writers aren't going to do that, plus the Capellans have no warships.

Federated Suns is dead man walking.

EDIT: Also, gently caress the Capellans and Combine for always getting away with terrorism.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 15, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Edging ever closer to the Draconis Suns becoming an actual polity.

Samurai Cowboys > Samurai > Cowboys

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
If anything I'd put my money on Capellan Suns (Federated Confederation?) for the following reasons;

1) Draconis Combine is really overstretched, and no longer has the Wolf's Dragoons assisting
2) Capellan Confederation has no nearby neighbors threatening them, Draconis Combine has Ghost Bears AND Alaric Ward said he wanted to take revenge on the combine for the Nova Cat genocide
3) Daoshen Liao is angry about Julian breaking their truce

I COULD see a Draconis Suns if Julian and Yori Kurita (Can't remember her name right now) decide better to ally then die from Clans and Cappies, and get royally hitched. The writers have been stringing all of these rulers along for over a decade without any marriages, they got to see that in a game of space feudalism, marriage alliances should play a part.

But that would require Battletech to do something interesting other than "Oh noes, Combine is killing House Davion, BUT THEN LOST... while the Ghost Bears sit and do nothing".

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Did a quick and not-great wash on the Crusader, and a few touch-ups.

Overall my first lance since before college, progression left to right. I am happy how quickly my eyes and hands have gone from total mess to sorta-functional.

Are there any guides/recs on detailing? I feel like I'm able to get to this point, but there's no extra detail bringing these guys to life usually. Like how best to do laser ports, barrel-wear, rust/grime, little decals/markers, etc?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Did a quick and not-great wash on the Crusader, and a few touch-ups.

Overall my first lance since before college, progression left to right. I am happy how quickly my eyes and hands have gone from total mess to sorta-functional.

Are there any guides/recs on detailing? I feel like I'm able to get to this point, but there's no extra detail bringing these guys to life usually. Like how best to do laser ports, barrel-wear, rust/grime, little decals/markers, etc?

Paint chipping

https://youtu.be/Onspoa5N6Zw

Heat discoloration on barrels - wash the tips of the barrel with bands of blue, purple and sepia wash (see my minis). You'll have to start with a silver/silverish base.

Oil streaks - best way is to use an actual oil wash, but if your kit is limited use a black/brown wash and just paint the streaks on.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Weekend thought: I don't hate either the Warhammer or Marauder individually, but I hate them both for simultaneously existing. Just sitting there at 70 and 75 tons. Ruling the heavy weight class. Disgusting. Overthrow them.

Edit: And then sitting there at 80? The Awesome. Just an endless run of PPC boats.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 16, 2021

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Play games past 3048.

That's not a directive, or anything, but if you're deliberately restricing the options that far you can't really complain about the lack of variety in what you end up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Found out the hard way that stacking Cluster Master, Weapon Master (for LRMs), and Sniper on a single pilot in a Vulture with dual LRM-15s+Artemis-IV isn't that useful if you head-on charge a Gladiator into head-to-head.

Also gently caress the flat maps, they're literally unplayable to me after a year of using Heroscape tiles and 3d printed terrain. Such an incredible headache to keep track of, when you could just eyeball poo poo and get a lay of the land in a second flat.

Luckily, I did have the honor of writing Nicolai Malthus of the Jade Falcon Clan into official canon for my campaign as "referee" of a Trial of Position, so that was pretty exciting. The new sculpts do his Thor good: