Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Can the bolt go in the other way?

Yes. It was installed wrong.

Land Rover loves to use bolts and nuts like that all over the place in the suspension and I'm forever finding ones that the PO or their lovely mechanic installed wrong, presumably while doing other more extensive work that means now you have to keep disassembling extra poo poo for things that should be simple.

um excuse me posted:

According to the comments yes you can install it the other way and yes it was confirmed to be installed the way in the video from the factory.

Okay, so maybe some of the ones I'm finding aren't just from the POs but from drunk midlanders on the assembly line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I bet it's like a land rover tamper mark.

"Oh well you must not have had a certified land rover mechanic work on it. Here's your keys sorry about your warranty, hope it works out."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They said the removal is the opposite order of installation, so what's the problem.

At least it's not all rusted to poo poo (yet).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If I had spares handy I'd be tempted to cut it off. Most rover owners have a spare in my experience.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Had similar on a few cars, having to disassemble something else entirely to get a bolt out.

https://twitter.com/Spottyroo/status/1348689310858371073?s=20

:lol:

I love how he slams the bolt back in. I would be throwing poo poo at that point.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

:lol:

I love how he slams the bolt back in. I would be throwing poo poo at that point.

Not being able to throw that bolt in particular would add so much to the frustration

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

cakesmith handyman posted:

If I had spares handy I'd be tempted to cut it off. Most rover owners have a spare in my experience.

Yeah that's a grinder moment right there, just what in the hell.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A lot to digest here.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That is one helluva load leveling hitch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Legally, I assume both trailers need to be licensed?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Safety Dance posted:

Legally, I assume both trailers need to be licensed?

I doubt anything there is happening legally

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Memento posted:

A lot to digest here.

Imagine trying to reverse that trainwreck :stare:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

AirRaid posted:

Imagine trying to reverse that trainwreck :stare:

You just plan ahead and never worry about backing up. :smug:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Memento posted:

A lot to digest here.
I've seen something like similar to this only one time. The tow vehicle was an 80s or 90s F-350 dually with a metric ton of poo poo falling out of the bed. The 1st "trailer" was a bumper pull to goose neck adapter, except someone actually put thought into it. It was a trailer about the size of a red rider wagon made out of thick angle iron, and it had 4 wheels about 10" in size. I think it would be safe to call it a "dolly", it was basically the same as the adapters semi trucks use when pulling doubles or triples. I can't think of the technical name for those adapters right now. The 2nd trailer was some kind of goose neck but all my brain can remember was the crazy dolly.

The one I saw was obviously made for the purpose of adapting a goose neck, which kinda makes sense since that sort of mod is difficult on most normal vehicles. I was surprised to see the adapter in use behind a dually pickup but the metric ton of poo poo in the bed kinda answers that question. The one you have posted scared me more because the quality sucks more, it has 2 instead of 4 wheels and the frame is not big rear end angle iron. But I like the idea of trailers made from old pickup beds, especially when they match the tow vehicle but this case is purely an abomination.

On the other hand, OTR trucks use adapters all the time so maybe this isn't so bad. :haw:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think your last point is a good one. It's like they saw what OTR truckers have and went "that doesn't look so hard" without knowing anything about the engineering materials that would go into it to make it actually work safely.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

*edit wrong thread!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

I doubt anything there is happening legally

There's a bit in the FL commercial driver's handbook about that. "No double trailers without special accommodation and licensure." Now why would that be an issue... Oh. OH!

poo poo, at least make the dolly from a truck that could have pulled the trailer in the first place. Looks like a recipe for two busted diffs and a smattering of fire. Might wanna slap some thicker oil into that rear-end real quick, at least.

I'd say we should have a "How to tow safely" sticky, but I doubt we could all agree on what needs to be in there. Lol, some poor goon would end up towing a Home Depot folding trailer with four safety chains, two break-away switches, two brake controllers (on a trailer with no brakes), a 1.5 inch shaft hitch ball, and a back-up camera, only to have it fall off the vehicle in the first five feet because we forgot the tow-bar retaining pin.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What I find (somewhat) interesting are GVWR stickers that get slapped onto the door on pickup. You slap a diesel into a F250 and a premium equipment package, and welp, you really reduced your payload capacity.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 14, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

What I find (somewhat) interesting are GVWR stickers that get slapped onto the door on pickup. You slap a diesel into a F250 and a premium equipment package, and welp, you really reduced your payload capacity.

Most people towing with a one ton dually quad cab all decked out are at or over the GVWR. And paid too much for their truck.

If you just move up to a commercial truck platform everything is cheaper and better. You don't even have to move up past a regular rear end C license.

I just don't get the love for doing any serious towing with a pickup. Gimmie a TopKick or similar.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

Most people towing with a one ton dually quad cab all decked out are at or over the GVWR. And paid too much for their truck.

If you just move up to a commercial truck platform everything is cheaper and better. You don't even have to move up past a regular rear end C license.

I just don't get the love for doing any serious towing with a pickup. Gimmie a TopKick or similar.

Yeah. People can get real dumb with towing. More money=less sense, up to a point.

I think it really depends on how much flexibility you need from a fleet. Where are you parking the big trucks? Do they need to be left on-site? Can they fit where you expect to drive them in the first place? Is the lower load floor of a trailer worth the trade off in length and complexity (as in, twice as much to break)? Do you tow heavy all of the time, or just at the beginning and end of a job?

I've done construction where we had a pair of 1-tons to tow the Bobcat and lift, a pair of 1/2 tons to tow scaffolding, gensets, and pumps, and almost everyone had a tiny pickup for personal tools and running to the store. The 1 and 1/2 tons could cover many of the same jobs, depending on who was using what where. The 1/2 ton and smaller trucks could also pull off many of the same tasks, just not all the time. We worked alone though, with smaller crews in small spaces. Maybe another company doing the work some other way would have been better served with fewer, heavier trucks or more, smaller trucks.

I've also done lots of delivery work where sometimes a straight truck is the only way to drive to and park at a customer location. Sometimes you need more space than weight carrying capacity there, and big trailers can be very cheap for their size. How you work can also have an effect on what you choose. I'd much rather roll things down a ramp door on a trailer than down a long ramp off the back of a truck.

I agree with you, in general. If I could afford it, I would buy a 1-ton, 20ft box truck with a hitch and make my customers rent it from me, rather than making them rent my pickup to tow their trailer. A wise person once told me, "Bring more truck than you think you need." Then I'd still have to have another vehicle, because gently caress driving around a 1-ton box truck all day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, of course there's gonna be a time and a place for a smaller truck for site work and the like, but that's also not the kind of one ton I'm talking about. If your work is buying fully decked out trim package quad cab one ton duallies for towing a bobcat your company has some issues.....

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

Well the one ton trucks are going up in capacity every year so that's not necessarily true.

Topkicks drive like poo poo, the couple I've driven anyhow. IMO the pickup frame based 4 and 5 series trucks are OK but the domestic big 3 medium duty trucks are all terrible. Not just in how they drive, but in being a mixed bag of parts that differs year to year, and most local dealers don't want to mess with.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

Well the one ton trucks are going up in capacity every year so that's not necessarily true.

Yeah and a new 5.0 F150 GCWR is higher than my 1 ton. It's all spreadsheet games to sell penis extensions to flatlanders so that they can wag em at each other like its some kind of mating ritual. How long can this 5.0 move 18 thousand pounds till a critical component fails, repeatedly, from the use. I highly doubt it'll do 200,000 rocky mountain miles at its maximum rated capacity.
Class 3 trucks? same story. Ooh boy it can move 35,700lb! Yeah for a little while. Nowhere near the duty cycle that a class V or VI truck can move 35,700lb.

I really wanna see these new trucks age out and study all the amazing failures they've yet to show us.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm not sure what the point of making GBS threads on 1 ton trucks that can haul heavy with an appropriate trailer on most grades is, but I agree with you? I also would not use a 5.0 1/2 ton fully loaded across the rocky mountains.

I know that bro dozers are a thing, but I personally know a lot of contractors who use 1 tons daily to haul. I don't think the advertised capacities are -only- to sell trucks to people who don't actually use them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Oh sure, I guess what I was pointing out earlier is depending on how the truck is equipped affects what legally you can tow. Going full out on a short bed, crew cab and platinum trim eats into that and probably a lot of buyers expect their 70K+ chariot to handle whatever when in reality it is a lot tighter than it looks. When you factor in something like 40 gallons of fuel, a fifth wheel kit, fancy seats, 20% pin weight or so of the trailer itself, occupants, etc. it's easy to hit and exceed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pickups are annoying and all, but what do you buy if you need to tow an open 14ft tandem trailer with brakes that weighs ~3500lb loaded a few times a month and want something reliable, newer than 2010, sub $30k, and can serve as a daily (4 doors+).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Pickups are annoying and all, but what do you buy if you need to tow an open 14ft tandem trailer with brakes that weighs ~3500lb loaded a few times a month and want something reliable, newer than 2010, sub $30k, and can serve as a daily (4 doors+).

I mean.....3500 lbs isn't "must have pickup" territory and I don't think anyone said pickups don't have their place.

That weight is well inside of large sedans (lol) an SUV/CUVs that should meet that description. It's up to you with that light of a load.

What we've been talking about are loads well over 10k.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I mostly brought it up since I sold my Civic so I was thinking about also selling my 06 Ram 1500 quad cab and buying a single, smaller car. I looked though, there aren't really any sedan options unless its like a Panamera. 4Runner or Tacoma it is
e: i should read thread titles

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 15, 2021

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Heck the Honda Pilot can haul 3500lbs.

There are a lot of non-truck options that can haul a sub 10k trailer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I mostly brought it up since I sold my Civic so I was thinking about also selling my 06 Ram 1500 quad cab and buying a single, smaller car. I looked though, there aren't really any sedan options unless its like a Panamera. 4Runner or Tacoma it is

I know you'd like newer/cheaper but I do just fine at 8k lbs on a regular basis in my soccer mom SUV.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I go full conspiracy theorist when it comes to tow capacity. Looking at any of the "not rated for any tow weight" USDM cars and then looking up tow ratings for the same exact vehicles in the UK and seeing that they're rated for a 1500lb trailer, is enough to make me think the Chicken Tax isn't the only thing trying desperately to keep AMERICAN TRUCKS a dominant force in the automotive marketplace

My favorite is the mid 00's Police Crown Vic compared to the regular cab F150 with the same engine, transmission, and 3.55 rear axle. They're the same length, width, weight, the F150 has almost 1 extra inch of ground clearance and 5 extra in the wheelbase length, but they are almost the exact same car. One is rated for 1500lbs, and the other is rated for 7200lbs.
Maybe the "Severe Duty" suspension on the Vic is just marketing fluff and is nowhere near as good as the F150, and wheelbase does matter a lot, sure. However they're the same exact engine and drivetrain moving two vehicles of almost identical weight and dimensions. I'd expect the F150 to be 2, maybe even 3 times better at towing, that's what it's built for, but almost 5 times better? Nah, I don't buy that for a second :tinfoil:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

I know you'd like newer/cheaper but I do just fine at 8k lbs on a regular basis in my soccer mom SUV.

I've been considering offering to buy my dad's 2016 Cayenne Diesel, but I don't know that I want to deal with maintaining the thing or paying what he will want. I'll look into the slightly older ones and their Audi family though.

To be clear, I have a ~2200lb Miata, a ~1400lb Featherlite 14ft aluminum trailer with a tire rack, a couple sets of wheels, some tools, etc. It is one of those dumb in-between areas where you're pretty borderline with most of the normal SUV rated capacities.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Nah, I don't buy that for a second :tinfoil:

I'd bet the F150 has a lot more spring capacity though. The Raptor loses a lot of towing capacity too, due to its soft off-road suspension.

I'd say it's a mix of your theory, and there's also a market in the other parts of the world to haul with small vehicles because that's what most people drive. Caravanning with small travel trailers is popular, so manufacturers are pressured to rate their vehicles for pulling trailers. That doesn't mean it's great for the drivetrain in a car that was not really designed with hauling as a primary function.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

NGL I didn't imagine you drove a Porsche.

Hope that don't offend, just didn't fit my mental pic of you lmao.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

The Door Frame posted:

Crown Vic towing stuff

My dad had I believe a 1993 Buick LeSabre which he used to tow a powerboat up into the Appalachian mountains to a lake with four of us in the car. That was just a V6 with like 225ft/lbs and it looks like it's rated for 3,000lbs, so I'm surprised a mid-00's Crown Vic is rated way less.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I go full conspiracy theorist when it comes to tow capacity. Looking at any of the "not rated for any tow weight" USDM cars and then looking up tow ratings for the same exact vehicles in the UK and seeing that they're rated for a 1500lb trailer, is enough to make me think the Chicken Tax isn't the only thing trying desperately to keep AMERICAN TRUCKS a dominant force in the automotive marketplace

My favorite is the mid 00's Police Crown Vic compared to the regular cab F150 with the same engine, transmission, and 3.55 rear axle. They're the same length, width, weight, the F150 has almost 1 extra inch of ground clearance and 5 extra in the wheelbase length, but they are almost the exact same car. One is rated for 1500lbs, and the other is rated for 7200lbs.
Maybe the "Severe Duty" suspension on the Vic is just marketing fluff and is nowhere near as good as the F150, and wheelbase does matter a lot, sure. However they're the same exact engine and drivetrain moving two vehicles of almost identical weight and dimensions. I'd expect the F150 to be 2, maybe even 3 times better at towing, that's what it's built for, but almost 5 times better? Nah, I don't buy that for a second :tinfoil:

The Vic is sprung for comfort, yes. It also has little bitty brakes, less suspension travel, a lighter frame, and the weight distribution is way different. It's limits are far lower, period. If you have to mash on the brakes it'd be nice if the trailer would stay behind you! Changing lanes in an emergency should not topple the combination, either. Highway speeds should not make the from end drift around like a hovercraft. You shouldn't have to worry about bottoming out on the tiniest bump. A pick up or big SUV just gives you more everything vs. nearly any car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
VE Commodore I used to have was rated to 2300kg and had zero issues towing that.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

VE Commodore I used to have was rated to 2300kg and had zero issues towing that.

:australia: noice

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I recently installed a towbar on my new-to-me 1.6 liter N/A econobox. It's rated for towing 1200 kg with a brake equipped trailer. It's a lovely tow rig for sure but it will get a moderate load of lumber home from the hardware store in a pinch. They'll also lend me the trailer for free. :sweden:
(I'll probably mostly use it for holding a bike rack but options are always nice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Why are some guys afraid of their own asses?

https://twitter.com/MasculineTakes/status/1349919771957948417?s=20