Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I always think of Bottas as just there to pull blocks for Lewis, he doesn't need to be a fast driver just good enough to gently caress up anyone trying to pressure his teammate and he's mediocre at that even when he's able to stay out of the pits for more than 3 laps at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

In what conceivable way is he past his prime? If anything he was more dominant this last season than ever.

Both sides know they're going to sign a deal and they're not in any hurry because they're having a nice break after a very stressful season. They'll announce it just before they launch the car or some poo poo.

Contracts are about future performance, not what happened in the past. He's 36 years old and no team wants to be locked into a high dollar 4 year contract with someone that old.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That's an awfully big assumption that Mercedes are the ones dragging their feet and not Lewis.

He will still be better than 90% of the field in 4 years time if he still wants to race. Mercedes would be foolish not to sign him up. They're all but guaranteed next season's championship with him and nobody would lead them better into the first year of the new regs in 2022.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

daslog posted:

Contracts are about future performance, not what happened in the past. He's 36 years old and no team wants to be locked into a high dollar 4 year contract with someone that old.

Somehow Kimi is still going.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

net work error posted:

Somehow Kimi is still going.

If Hamiliton agreed to a deal like Kimi's Mercedes would be thrilled and this wouldn't be a topic.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

yeah nobody would want to re-hire a multi wdc driver that old

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

yeah nobody would want to re-hire a multi wdc driver that old

They settle on a 2 year deal and Lewis will whine.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
whats new lol

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
if poois shamilton wants to prove hes not a fraud he should come to ferrari and drive for a non fraudulent team

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

track day bro! posted:

if poois shamilton wants to prove hes not a fraud he should come to ferrari and drive for a non fraudulent team

i agree, i'd love to see lew at Aston Martin Racing

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
any team based on the cursed british isles is fraudulent

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
i look forward to the British Teams Owning f1 2021 in spite of brexit destroying eveyrthing.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Sir Lewis needs to go to against Max at Red Bull. Checo knows the drill.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

You want him to prove he can make Q2 in a poo poo car? He already did that when he drove for McLaren

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Schumaker was 42 when he won his seventh Championship. I think Hamilton still has some life left in him.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Cessna posted:

Schumaker was 42 when he won his seventh Championship. I think Hamilton still has some life left in him.

Haha no he wasn’t wtf

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I don't remember either Lewis or Toto ever mentioning contracts unless responding to some idiot journo, and then it's been some form of joke or telling them to relax. It's almost like it's not a big deal for them.

But daslog will insist Lewis is super mad and whiny about it whatever happens.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Haha no he wasn’t wtf

Yeah he was 35 lol

he did not in fact win the championship the year he retired

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

With major reg changes coming up you absolutely want Hamilton to be there to help with car development. You can say that the car is the best on the grid (it obviously is) but the input he will have given will have done a lot to make that happen - Russel is clearly waiting in the wings, but he doesn't have the experience to provide reliable feedback (although he is clearly a thinking driver, when he talks through a lap it is clear he switched on about everything). Bottas isn't as poo poo as he could be, but you can't build the team around his feedback.

A 2 year deal gives them both a lot - Lewis gets 2 cracks at the all time and it brings Merc continuity through the regs change.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Mansell is still the oldest modern WDC right? He was 39 when he won his IIRC.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Having finished the 1997 Monaco GP I have concluded that the late-90s F1 field was probably pretty bad. Hell, the only post golden era drivers that are any good are like, Panis and Rubens (who maybe doesn't count because he started in 1993).

Carrier
May 12, 2009

kimi is going to win it next year

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Haha no he wasn’t wtf

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah he was 35 lol

he did not in fact win the championship the year he retired

Eh, crap, so much for my memory, you're right. Retired at 42.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Carrier posted:

kimi is going to win it next year

Kimi is going to have a poo poo LOL!!!!!!!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

I don't remember either Lewis or Toto ever mentioning contracts unless responding to some idiot journo, and then it's been some form of joke or telling them to relax. It's almost like it's not a big deal for them.

But daslog will insist Lewis is super mad and whiny about it whatever happens.

Well he's always whiny, but Super mad? I don't see that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Frond posted:

Mansell is still the oldest modern WDC right? He was 39 when he won his IIRC.
You mean when he lucked into an unbeatable neweymobile?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I know that you specified modern, but the only reason to do that is to exclude the likes of 46 year old Fangio winning a championship in an era without sports science to keep him extremely fit.

The likes of Lewis and Fernando could easily race into their late 40s if they chose to.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Y’all remember how the IT goblins in this thread would pontificate that all Apple users are dumb babies who can’t do anything for themselves?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just sold this Tuesday

And just got this text

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
All users are loving idiots, completely irrespective of the platform they choose.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
was the buyer's name "Mac"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

POCKET CHOMP posted:

lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

The only good post I have ever seen in 14 years on this website

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Mansell throws Piquet under the bus every opportunity he gets in 87, holy hell.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This outing by The Race just seems to be trolling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTNSCOPMtxU

Ferrari at the top? Aston Martin only 7th? Mercedes 3rd? No mention of Mazepin? :v:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"our panel" is just a bunch of that guy's mates sat on a sofa going "Italian spirit" "Gilles Villeneuve lives" "Red car go fast" before drowning in Michael Schumacher signed merchandise.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Azza Bamboo posted:

"our panel" is just a bunch of that guy's mates sat on a sofa going "Italian spirit" "Gilles Villeneuve lives" "Red car go fast" before drowning in Michael Schumacher signed merchandise.

sounds pretty good to me op

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm okay with this, even if I did get his age wrong.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lance going for a rugged and handsome look this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug4muGKyWMo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

net work error posted:

Lance going for a rugged and handsome look this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug4muGKyWMo

i'd like to see the lap times of the stunt driver versus stroll