Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Max Wilco posted:

He's also weak to Lightning/Thrust damage, so you could use the Dragonslayer Spear or Dragonslayer Swordspear, since those both have innate Lightning damage (of course, getting either of those requires beating the Nameless King).

Rubbing some gold pine resin on a weapon will do the trick, too. I try to follow a personal rule that if I can hold off until halfway through the life bar or more, it's safe to pop a consumable buff like that. If you could do the first half without it, then the second half with that little boost should be achievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pine bundles are often overlooked outside of PvP, but they're very handy to have. Their buff duration is significantly shorter than resin but they apply near-instantly and you can carry lots of them. It's real handy for bosses where you're expected to hit & run a lot (Friede, Midir, Lothric Bros, etc.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they're also actually slightly stronger than resins

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It is done! Midir is vanquished by my BK Greataxe +5. Barely used the sheild and 2H most of the way.

Now do I sink my teeth into some of the new games I've bought or go play DS1 & 2 like I've been wanting to?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Beating to a pulp
Be wary of bonfire
In short, Praise the Sun

You should of course play DS1 and DS2. They are both extremely good games, and you will find most bosses a lot easier than in DS3. I played DS3 first, then DS1 and DS2 and enjoyed all of them!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Play all souls games all the time

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Do DS1 and DS2 have fast travel because I started DS:R playthrough early last year and was looking for the way to travel between bonfires but it seems... there isn't?

I'd like to get back to my DS3 playthrough (I'm due for Farron Keep after clearing out stuff in the Cathedral), but my fps is sub 30 on my 5 y/o laptop which makes parrying a bit harder

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lily Catts posted:

Do DS1 and DS2 have fast travel because I started DS:R playthrough early last year and was looking for the way to travel between bonfires but it seems... there isn't?

I'd like to get back to my DS3 playthrough (I'm due for Farron Keep after clearing out stuff in the Cathedral), but my fps is sub 30 on my 5 y/o laptop which makes parrying a bit harder

DS1 has fast travel but you need to unlock it, around halfway through the game.

DS2 has fast travel from the start

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Playing through DS3 as a pyromancer for the first time. Suprized as what has given me the most grief this run. Most bosses have been fairly ok with Great Chaos Orb and later Chaos Bed Vestiges. Hit the wall in the Ringed City, first with Pyromancer Zoey, and later with the Demon Prince.

Zoey just dodges all over the place and is fast to punish. With a big weapon, she is easy to pancake and just stomp, but trying to burn her or poison her...oof. In the end I think I used a shield and the Onyx blade in combo with Chaos Bed Vestiges.

Demon prince made me burn through nearly all the embers I have collected so far. First I tried with Pestilent Mist, and that worked ok for the Demon Bros, but the Demon Prince just stomped my phantoms, and then me. Made a run for Cathias Chime and tried Dorhys Gnaw, and that did it with the help of Lapp and Gael. Midir is going to be painful this run, but I read that Pestilent Mist is effective?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

skasion posted:

DS1 has fast travel but you need to unlock it, around halfway through the game.

DS2 has fast travel from the start

The DS1 fast travel is also limited: you can only go to certain bonfires. DS2 you can go to every bonfire.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Any tips for a new Cinders player? So far I’m going Warpigsck and the rat king is my main man

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Any tips for a new Cinders player? So far I’m going Warpigsck and the rat king is my main man

There are items you can pick up that offer permanent summons (until you or the summon dies) when you use them. They can be really helpful if you need a boost through an area. And outside of the obvious joke summons, they're all pretty good for the most part.

If you feel you can handle the extra challenge, it's also super worth checking out the altar next to the target dummy skeleton. It activates curses that make the game harder, but also provides you with extra rewards.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

DoubleNegative posted:

There are items you can pick up that offer permanent summons (until you or the summon dies) when you use them. They can be really helpful if you need a boost through an area. And outside of the obvious joke summons, they're all pretty good for the most part.

If you feel you can handle the extra challenge, it's also super worth checking out the altar next to the target dummy skeleton. It activates curses that make the game harder, but also provides you with extra rewards.
Good to know! I feel like maybe I've not gotten the hang of the design - summons require embers, but all the bosses seem WAY harder and I'm not looped into multiplayer (want to be able to go back to OG online play so I'm holding back on nuking my own account) which is the usual way of pulling embers in the original game. Do I really have to grind out 10k souls every time I want to summon?

It may just be the case that I wasn't the perfect DS3 player and the mod is designed around perfect play. Most total conversion mods are!

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Cinders changes extremely quickly, so my advice (from summer) might be partly out of date. But the main advantage players have in Cinders other than the extremely powerful summons is nearly unlimited, powerful ranged attacks. Magic builds of any variety are seriously overpowered, but bows and crossbows have been solidly buffed and are seriously good for physical builds. Throwing knives and other consumables are also really strong if you go for luck. Using ranged attacks to thin out and soften up enemies is a really good idea. Overall Cinders is actually a good bit easier than vanilla if you use the tools it gives you.

Regarding builds, any type of magic is supreme. Luck is really versatile and strong, but takes a while to get started. Strength is improved over the base game and is more straightforward than dex. Hybrid builds are dead, and quality is very questionable, since there are no more soft caps, so you should dump everything into a single main damage stat.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
If you join the summoner covenant (up on the top floor of Firelink, the lady with the crystal lizard pet) then one of the cheapest upgrades is 10 summoner tokens and like 5000 souls to be able to summon while not embered. So all you have to do is run around with your buddy killing stuff for a half hour with the summoner covenant equipped and you'll be good!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

some of the poo poo y'all talk about regarding cinders makes it sound like an entirely different game in a good way

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I wanna try it but installing a second copy of DS3 so I don't get my primary install softbanned is :effort:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The other day I picked up an item dropped by the host of embers, I had been called in as a Blade of the Darkmoon. I stupidly picked it up, and it was 99 souls of a venerable old hand.

Discarded that as soon as I could, but is my account at risk for picking up a hacked item? Playing on PS4.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Even on PC you’d only get banned for hacked items rather than duped ones. You’ll be fine

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Cinders changes extremely quickly, so my advice (from summer) might be partly out of date. But the main advantage players have in Cinders other than the extremely powerful summons is nearly unlimited, powerful ranged attacks. Magic builds of any variety are seriously overpowered, but bows and crossbows have been solidly buffed and are seriously good for physical builds. Throwing knives and other consumables are also really strong if you go for luck. Using ranged attacks to thin out and soften up enemies is a really good idea. Overall Cinders is actually a good bit easier than vanilla if you use the tools it gives you.

This was my biggest takeaway, ranged is so good now. I set out on my Cinders run to play a miracle build, but pretty rapidly discovered all I needed was Lightning Arrow, which with the FP-restoring tool you get at the beginning meant I had an extremely powerful ranged attack with nigh-on unlimited range and ammo from the jump.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Regarding builds, any type of magic is supreme. Luck is really versatile and strong, but takes a while to get started. Strength is improved over the base game and is more straightforward than dex. Hybrid builds are dead, and quality is very questionable, since there are no more soft caps, so you should dump everything into a single main damage stat.

This is a good summary of why I didn't really like Cinders, it buffs all the cheese options and then rebalances the game around expoiting that cheese. Playing as an honest melee character is just exhausting, especially with the constant new NPC minibosses

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

can I just stand around outside a boss area and wait for a summon sign to appear? or do I need to reload or something? I'm not seeing any appear for a certain boss and I'm embered.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

d0grent posted:

can I just stand around outside a boss area and wait for a summon sign to appear? or do I need to reload or something? I'm not seeing any appear for a certain boss and I'm embered.

Yeah, but there might not always be players online and in your level range in that specific area.

I recommend pulling out your soapstone and seeing if you can write anything. If you can, then you're in an area where someone else can write a sign that you can see. A related trick is to pull out a homeward bone as well; if you can't use the homeward bone, that generally means that you're in the process of being invaded.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Heithinn Grasida posted:

why on earth would they make strength better

are ds3 players actually under the impression that strength builds are underpowered

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

some of the poo poo y'all talk about regarding cinders makes it sound like an entirely different game in a good way

You can use weapons not named Lothric Knight Straight Sword or Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords. The quarterstaff weapons are extremely dumb right now and will probably be nerfed in a later update.

I know the proper Quarterstaff was moved from a weapon you acquire early on to being gated behind transposing the Nameless King's soul. It's that good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Victory Position posted:

You can use weapons not named Lothric Knight Straight Sword or Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords.
I am not here to tell you that ds3 is a perfectly balanced game but literally every weapon category in basegame has multiple """viable""" weapons, and most """nonviable""" weapons are actually just "slightly worse". the worst weapon category for pve is daggers, but even then you can totally play through the game with a dagger run and it's not as hard as you may think.

if you think that the only weapons you can use are the ones that youtubers tell you are the best, then I'm sorry to say that that's not the game's fault, that's you having brainworms

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
to be more specific of the around 200 weapons in ds3, ones that are bad enough to be actual trap options are
  • darkmoon longbow
  • cresent moon sword
  • harpe
  • cleric's candlestick
  • wolnir's
  • soldering iron
and half of those your average player just isn't going to run across anyways.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
And here I was thinking that the Sellsword’s Twinblades was the Broken Strong Weapon of DS3.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Wolnir's Sword is p good

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

i am tim! posted:

And here I was thinking that the Sellsword’s Twinblades was the Broken Strong Weapon of DS3.

You're not wrong. Crow Quills are pretty busted too if we're talking Dex weapons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm currently playing through the game with the whip that you can pick up in the cleansing chapel and it's funny as gently caress but also perfectly viable, people who are mad about weapons are weird.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I always carry a whip when I invade and my victim is gung-ho parry-spamming. A *lot* of players don't seem to realize that whips can't be parried.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I did a whip run and it was real fun in pvp, I especially enjoyed hitting people through walls lol

This talk of weapon viability in pve is weird. You can beat the game naked with bare fists, "viability" only matters in pvp, and even then only against good players, and EVEN THEN only if they are using a "viable" weapon.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Every weapon is viable but some weapons will make it much easier or much harder. For example, I recently ran a couple characters through the early game, the first one doing a str build with a claymore, and when I fought the katana master guy in Firelink, it was a complete cakewalk. The second one I was going for a dex build so until I got the katana I was just using a shortsword and he killed me repeatedly until I got it down really well. Is the Claymore better than the shortsword? Is the Claymore better than the shortsword? Eh - not really. Is it more viable? I'd say so.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I only ’fought’ Sword Master and ’won’ once, and that was with pyromancy. Every other time he just threw himself off the cliff after a little while.

Maybe his AI is a throwback to the most rushed parts of DS2.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

to be more specific of the around 200 weapons in ds3, ones that are bad enough to be actual trap options are
  • darkmoon longbow
  • cresent moon sword
  • harpe
  • cleric's candlestick
  • wolnir's
  • soldering iron
and half of those your average player just isn't going to run across anyways.

Wolnir's Sword is distinctly Okay. It's not a suicide machine like the other 'unique'/boss soul weapons can be, at least, which are almost universally hot garbage and not worth using, like Yorshka's Spear, Demon's Greataxe, Old King's Greathammer, etc. The weapons you listed are definitely the worst of the worst, though. Trying to use the Handmaid's Dagger or Scholar's Candlestick as legitimate weapons is also a recipe for failure.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Wolnir's Sword is distinctly Okay. It's not a suicide machine like the other 'unique'/boss soul weapons can be, at least, which are almost universally hot garbage and not worth using, like Yorshka's Spear, Demon's Greataxe, Old King's Greathammer, etc. The weapons you listed are definitely the worst of the worst, though. Trying to use the Handmaid's Dagger or Scholar's Candlestick as legitimate weapons is also a recipe for failure.
tbf it was a long while ago I actually used wolnir's so I'm probably misremembering, but yorshkas is extremely not hot garbage and does not deserve its reputation. it has totally fine base AR and scaling-fairly stat hungry to do, but if you do a refined build and also level faith it will eventually outpace every other spear in raw physical damage. gotta be high level to do that, but that's a totally fine niche to have. the WA is underwhelming but that's fine because the actual damaging moveset is the normal good spear r1s plus the wide partizan swipe(except with blunt damage).

old king's greathammer is not the best greathammer in the game, but the damage is tolerable. not exceptional for its class, but ok. it's split damage but the base physical AR is high enough that you won't struggle using it-you'll have a bit less physical AR than most other greathammers but you will do more damage against certain enemies due to the fire damage. demon's greataxe is the same story.

all these weapons are legitimately good examples of how weapons that people call "not viable" are actually just slightly worse. they're just a bit outperformed by other options, and even then in some situations it's debatable.

handmaid's dagger I forgot about and is legitimately terrible, though, so we can just pretend I wrote that instead of wolnir's on that list of six baddies ;) scholar's candlestick is bad as a weapon but it explicitly exists to be a sorcery booster at the cost of a hand slot so that's fine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Most runs of mine begin with dueling Katana man and then wearing his rags throughout the rest of the game

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

:same:

Best rags in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I died to the tutorial boss a few times before deciding to do the ds2 dlc instead. But here are my thoughts so far:

Game runs pretty bad on my xbone compared to the others

All the movements feel a lot faster

I didn’t even know these games had music until this tutorial boss, it slaps hard