Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Florida Man is constantly being frustrated and obstructed in his misguided attempts to lead a life he mistakenly thinks he has. So I would say No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Count Six Billion Dollars

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Mottom's well aware. She just finally took Allison's advice and got over it.

E: Important question. Is Florida Man a form of Royalty?
Nah, Mottom has just swapped "being shown a coward" for "dying" on the list of things she's most afraid of. She's still grasping at victory and ego.

Also, idiocy is not Royalty, as evidenced by the large number of dead fools.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nah, Mottom has just swapped "being shown a coward" for "dying" on the list of things she's most afraid of. She's still grasping at victory and ego.

Also, idiocy is not Royalty, as evidenced by the large number of dead fools.

Idiocy isn't, but damning the consequences is a key component of it. Nobody ever said 'ego' wasn't part of Royalty, either, as far as I'm aware. Grasping, yes, but that's not the same thing.

Mottom here is echoing the literal words of Zoss, I don't think we're supposed to read this as a lateral move in terms of her self-actualization (which is also why I think this is a death flag).

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mottom clearly isn't afraid to go down hard in a real fight with something approaching an equal, in fact she kinda craves it, she just doesn't wanna get shanked by one of her courtiers the way she did her ex

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 14, 2021

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Mottom clearly isn't afraid to go down hard in a real fight with something approaching an equal, in fact she kinda craves it, she just doesn't wanna get shanked by one of her courtiers the way she did her ex

No, she clearly stated she was terrified of Jagganoth back in the palace.

Mottom has changed as a person due to Allison giving her a rude awakening, and that change is what we're seeing here.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ok I guess in a sense she's afraid of everything - Jagganoth, rotting forever in her palace, giving that up - but there's very clearly a heirarchy of those fears she's itching for a chance to face on her own terms and those she just shuts down and runs away from. There's a reason she let that king dude come right up to her and take his shot before talking to Allison, she certainly didn't have to; there's a reason she was the one to kill her husband the psycho god-emperor with nothing but a knife; there's a reason that until this scene she was the only one to directly attack another demiurge. It isn't as much of a break in character as you're making out that she came at the head of her army to throw down with Mammon's secretary.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 14, 2021

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Ok I guess in a sense she's afraid of everything - Jagganoth, rotting forever in her palace, giving that up - but there's very clearly a heirarchy of those fears she's itching for a chance to face on her own terms and those she just shuts down and runs away from. There's a reason she let that king dude come right up to her and take his shot before talking to Allison, she certainly didn't have to; there's a reason she was the one to kill her husband the psycho god-emperor with nothing but a knife; there's a reason that until this scene she was the only one to directly attack another demiurge. It isn't as much of a break in character as you're making out that she came at the head of her army to throw down with Mammon's secretary.

Pryan Sor posed literally no threat to her whatsoever; her actions with Mammon were directly a result of Allison's actions. Mottom's character arc has been building to this since that moment Allison slapped her and burned the tree, which is why the exact same words from that sequence are being repeated! It's not a break in characterization it's development. She has changed! It's good writing!

She's never been afraid to get her hands dirty, but she's been terrified of losing everything she fought so hard to gain, and unable to face the prospect of mortality. Then Allison stumbles along, tells her 'everybody dies' and turns down immortality (which Mottom can't imagine ever doing) and not only that but makes Mottom mortal again as well.

Mottom has been coming to terms with her own impending death, and that's freed her from the prison she was hiding in - she nationalized her guilds and crushed her courtiers, something she could have done centuries ago if she'd had the push. She started the Universal War again - the thing she was most terrified of - because she's realized that death is inevitable (insert wizard here) and now her fear isn't controlling her utterly.

E: Jagganoth was definitive of the fears she ran away from, the very reason she was in a gilded cage to maintain the Pact of the Seven-Part World. She's the one who said all along that he was going to kill them all eventually. But now she's choosing to face him when it seems pointless, instead of retreating for however long before he finishes her off like Mammon suggests.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 14, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah this is us getting to see he end results of Mottom's character development first hand and it's a good moment.

That's the gist of what Joe Slowboat's saying.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Did Mottom even hear the conversation this is calling back to? I thought that was between Alison and Zoss.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Maybe it was part of the Intro to Godhood class taught by Professor Zoss 2000 years ago

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

shirts and skins posted:

Did Mottom even hear the conversation this is calling back to? I thought that was between Alison and Zoss.

who knows how talking with the Conquering King in your head works, but it doesn't matter because stylistically quoting the conversation is cool and drives home the point

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

The difference between peasants and kings already fits into the way Mottom thinks about the world so I think it's just a parallel train of thought.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Lasting Damage posted:

who knows how talking with the Conquering King in your head works, but it doesn't matter because stylistically quoting the conversation is cool and drives home the point

She also may have actually met Zoss, given he says 'she always was a whiner' - but yeah I think the extradiegetic explanation makes the most sense here.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It could very well be an in-universe common idiom for demiurges: the Throne equivalent of "Cowboy up"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think Zoss likes to give that ultimatum to everyone he meets, in the hope someone truly chooses king.

So he can gently caress off the wheel and enjoy drinks on a florida beach.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think Zoss likes to give that ultimatum to everyone he meets, in the hope someone truly chooses king.

So he can gently caress off the wheel and enjoy drinks on a florida beach.

Royalty is a continuous relaxing motion

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Royalty is a continuous relaxing motion

Chill Six Billion Demons

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Reach Heaven through Margaritaville.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Zoes and Danny Timeshare would get along famously

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mottom was in the room when Zoss gave Allison the "Peasant or King" speech. Later on, Incubus was able to see Zoss's ghost in Allison's head, so it's possible that Mottom was able to see or hear Zoss back then as well.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

jng2058 posted:

Mottom was in the room when Zoss gave Allison the "Peasant or King" speech. Later on, Incubus was able to see Zoss's ghost in Allison's head, so it's possible that Mottom was able to see or hear Zoss back then as well.

incubus was in allisons head when he saw zoss in there, mottom was not

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The correct choice is actually peasant.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jsoh posted:

incubus was in allisons head when he saw zoss in there, mottom was not

Sure, but they all have weird powers of various sorts above and beyond access to their keys. Mottom having Sight Beyond Sight or somesuch wouldn't be particularly unusual compared to Precognition, Time Stop Kung Fu, or Made of Infinite Worms. :shrug:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mottom's thing is that she's a really really ridiculously good wizard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jng2058 posted:

Sure, but they all have weird powers of various sorts above and beyond access to their keys. Mottom having Sight Beyond Sight or somesuch wouldn't be particularly unusual compared to Precognition, Time Stop Kung Fu, or Made of Infinite Worms. :shrug:

Sight Beyond Sight is very canonically Jadis' deal. It's why she's in a block of crystal and desperately wishing to die.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Mottom's thing is that she's a really really ridiculously good wizard.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sight Beyond Sight is very canonically Jadis' deal. It's why she's in a block of crystal and desperately wishing to die.

True Seeing is a classic wizard spell. And "Magic: I ain't gotta explain poo poo" could certainly apply to Mottom seeing Zoss there. :colbert:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I think if we need a diegetic explanation I'm going to completely bullshit that Zoss' words echoed through the entire palace subconsciously from whatever weird phantom zone he's hanging out in.

Mottom is incredibly attuned to those things, but still didn't realize it was Zoss because she was busy having an actual crisis.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If Mottom had seen or heard Zoss she would have lost her drat mind. He's the only person she fears more than Jagganoth

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Who What Now posted:

If Mottom had seen or heard Zoss she would have lost her drat mind. He's the only person she fears more than Jagganoth

She did lose her drat mind. She went on a rampage through her own city then panicked and attacked her closest ally because she suspected Allison was breaking into his place.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

nimby posted:

The correct choice is actually peasant.

This is true. Zoss chose King, spent x000 years trying to make that work, and concluded that he should hand the power of god to the most powerless person he could find

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Basically every king who matters in this story is a very old being ruling through sheer personal power over any sort of preeexisting legal framework, t's not a stretch that multiple people would use the word as a stand-in for "badass".

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Maybe Zoss just gave that speech a bunch of different times.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jng2058 posted:

She did lose her drat mind. She went on a rampage through her own city then panicked and attacked her closest ally because she suspected Allison was breaking into his place.

Right, because Allison destroyed the only thing Mottom thought could keep her alive. Not because she saw Zoss

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Phy posted:

Chill, Six Billion Demons

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Tulip posted:

Maybe Zoss just gave that speech a bunch of different times.

Zoss could of been the one encouraging Mottom to kill her husband in the first place. Many of the current demiurges started from nothing; the 'cycle' Zoss is refering to could be him encouraging them to grab power for themselves, only to be dissapointed when they fail to create something beyond the cycle of violence that he finds himself trapped in.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TBH being very chill is probably an excellent path to Royalty.

Getting drunk probably isn't, though.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I mean Yisun’s whole thing was lying and smiling a bunch of different ways. Seems pretty chill to me

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Smiling in the 69th way
Breathing in the 420th manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1350294599160500224

I want that last panel on the side of a van