Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO I hated every fuckin loser lib who posted Lincoln Project videos and everyone just kept saying “enemy of my enemy etc” but it’s like... I dunno, the administration that those psychos worked for was the one that radicalized me as a youth, I certainly remember their names and their lovely roles in all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
You, me, and like two dozen other people remember or care about any of that poo poo and most of them post in cspam lol. Now its time for reconciliation and literally having a beer with Bush.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I liked Lincoln Logs as a kid way more than Lego.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The latest MBMBAM has an extended section on Ted Cruz. It's probably the most "hateful" thing that they've ever recorded and honestly sounds like something off of chapo at points. Fully recommend it for any CTH fans.

I've decided that this thread and the MBMBAM thread are frenemies.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What is MBMBAM?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the reason Bean Dad had a blue check

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

snoremac posted:

What is MBMBAM?

Bean dad did their theme song. One of them is like soy face given human form.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bean dad did their theme song. One of them is like soy face given human form.
Okay yeah I looked it up and instantly recognized him as a soy face that gets posted a lot.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

snoremac posted:

What is MBMBAM?

millibar-millibarn-attometer i guess?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

prefect posted:

Lincoln Logs were great. :allears:

I remember liking the smell of the set I had as a kid, and the clattering sounds they made when you knocked a construction apart

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

It's My Bull My Bull and Me, it's a cuckolding podcast.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/YOUWONTBELAFFIN/status/1349746945791725569?s=20

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

well why not posted:

The latest MBMBAM has an extended section on Ted Cruz. It's probably the most "hateful" thing that they've ever recorded and honestly sounds like something off of chapo at points. Fully recommend it for any CTH fans.

I thought it was a weak bit, op

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

well why not posted:

have my epic gold sir

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Stick to the Yahoos, boys.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The people in the GBS Trump thread keep posting epic Lincoln Project owns and it makes me hurt, in my heart

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Heath posted:

The people in the GBS Trump thread keep posting epic Lincoln Project owns and it makes me hurt, in my heart

the thread became HYPER-SUCC when it moved back to GBS and it gets crazy aggro when you try to lol at Biden or Warren and people love the cops now

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
New episode has me in that simultaneous furious/depressed state I'm so used to. :sigh:

Also, Will always refers to "the HBO logo" when somebody mentions TV static, and it makes me feel old(er). :corsair:

Amber dropping a reference to Uncle Arthur. :allears:

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 15, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

prefect posted:

Also, Will always refers to "the HBO logo" when somebody mentions TV static, and it makes me feel old(er). :corsair:

Biden is going to bring back the HBO movie intro where the camera flies over the miniature town.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the old hbo theme is a bop as the kids used to say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOP7P1y5QoY

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Woke up to “it’s $1,400, not $2,000” and “maybe 10K student loan forgiveness (ie maybe covering the interest but not even coming close to touching your principal balance)” and I just wanna say that we control all 3 branches of government and we are already letting everyone know that we’re gonna get nothing and like it because it could have been worse lmao

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

who does “we” refer to?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Watching people defend the check thing in D&D has been very funny

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OctoberCountry posted:

Watching people defend the check thing in D&D has been very funny

I started the discussion about it and I have been laughing at how long it's been going.

Normally when I started "derails" like that I get people whining and saying they're going to report me like when I made the (I thought) uncontroversial statement that economics is the most corrupted academic discipline. Two different mods probated me for that and both of them got it wrong which made it even funnier.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 15, 2021

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
corrupted implies economics as its own discipline was ever worth a poo poo

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

corrupted implies economics as its own discipline was ever worth a poo poo

economics is just corrupted agriculture

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, gently caress the Physiocrats.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
In the new dark age, economists will be renamed excusesmiths.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Something about modern monetary theory, it was hard to tell because the girl wouldn't stop interrupting Matt every time he tried to say anything. Terrible ambush interview that accomplished nothing, wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
This is reaching way back, but I wanted to talk about it anyway, apropos of nothing. Something I found jarring about the interview was that the guy would say something like "collapsing the multiplicitudes of attenuated counter-hegemonies," but then when he specifically referenced Hegel, his cohost would jump in and mock-scold him about being too academic. The encounter was apparently so traumatic for them that they had to do a follow-up:

Superstructure posted:

Superstructure cohosts Will Beaman and Natalie Smith are joined by Scott Ferguson and Andrés Bernal to reflect on a recent "close encounter" with the Dirtbag Left. They diagnose the perverse comfort that the Dirtbag Left takes in contracting political economy around fixed points of "leverage" over political elites. Touching on the Jimmy Dore controversy and a recent Chapo episode on Avatar, the team compares the austere physics metaphors that structure the Left's hopelessness to neoliberal action cinema's preoccupation with what Ferguson has called its "Hyper-Newtonian aesthetics."

From time to time I get dismayed at how much of the left, such as it is, is bound up in academia and academic ways of communicating. Grad school apparently teaches you how to communicate in a way that demonstrates to other people who went to grad school that you went to grad school. (In the humanities and social sciences, anyway.) And then they just cannot or will not turn that off, even on podcasts and tweets where they presumably don't have to suck up to anyone. What do they think they're accomplishing? And a lot of these postgrads are underemployed and/or on a career path that results in them being on Twitter all day. So we get this extremely creepy style of writing that's part academic jargon, part slang appropriated from black teenagers, and part "I'm literally shaking and feeling so unsafe right now."

This is the announcement for an academic conference about "cognitive capitalism," whatever that is.

quote:

In the initial stages of cognitive capitalism, caring and effective economies were sites of subsumption – especially through reconfiguring what Sylvia Federici called reproductive labor. In recent years, the techno-scientific revolution has joined forces with neoliberal reformers to produce a generalized crisis in empathy and thought. In the present day, cognitive capitalism has become another means of instrumentalizing subjectivities. Building upon our past five year engagement with topics concerning estrangement, individuation, collectivity, and art and politics, Saas-Fee Summer Institute of Art 2020 in Berlin will interweave six broad categories of care, caring and repair: (1) Affective Labor (2) Cosmopolitanism and Hospitality (3) Curating (4) Solidarity (5) Theory of Mind and (6) Post-humanism in the Anthropocene.
If I thought that these people were trying to educate the public, I would be more sympathetic, and I'd be begging them to make their work more accessible. But now I know that prestige in academia means teaching as few undergraduate classes as possible. What's the point in even pretending to be leftist if you're just angling for tenure?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 15, 2021

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got the clip of Biden saying presinald trunt?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

From time to time I get dismayed at how much of the left, such as it is, is bound up in academia and academic ways of communicated. Grad school apparently teaches you how to communicate in a way that demonstrates to other people who went to grad school that you went to grad school. (In the humanities and social sciences, anyway.) And then they just cannot or will not turn that off, even on podcasts and tweets where they presumably don't have to suck up to anyone. What do they think they're accomplishing? And a lot of these postgrads are underemployed and/or on a career path that results in them being on Twitter all day. So we get this extremely creepy style of writing that's part academic jargon, part slang appropriated from black teenagers, and part "I'm literally shaking and feeling so unsafe right now."

lmao that quote synopsis from their follow up
episode is so loving funny. these people are truly useless. i dont know what anyone can possibly do with it other than bully them. if you are talking like that and dont understand that you are the problem, thats pretty far gone, probably too far gone up your own rear end to ever return

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Halloween Jack posted:

This is reaching way back, but I wanted to talk about it anyway, apropos of nothing. Something I found jarring about the interview was that the guy would say something like "collapsing the multiplicitudes of attenuated counter-hegemonies," but then when he specifically referenced Hegel, his cohost would jump in and mock-scold him about being too academic. The encounter was apparently so traumatic for them that they had to do a follow-up:

Lmao, the interview was barely even antagonistic. Matt was more exasperated than anything else because both the hosts were so annoying in different ways.

I always think of Richard Wolff when encountering people like this. The ideas being presented aren't all that complex and don't require the type of academic gibberish speak that the host on Superstructure kept using. If the goal is to build a worker-based mass movement and enact left-wing ideology as policy, speak like a human being so people can actually understand you rather than trying to show off how smart you are.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dick Wolff gets a lot of flack for being kind of repetitive on Economic Update but I kind of like it because it really stresses how a lot of the problems people run into all have very similar root causes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He also teaches those concepts by using them to explain current events which, even more important than teaching leftist theory, tells people that they're not crazy for feeling like they're getting hosed over by capitalism.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

From time to time I get dismayed at how much of the left, such as it is, is bound up in academia and academic ways of communicating. Grad school apparently teaches you how to communicate in a way that demonstrates to other people who went to grad school that you went to grad school. (In the humanities and social sciences, anyway.) And then they just cannot or will not turn that off, even on podcasts and tweets where they presumably don't have to suck up to anyone. What do they think they're accomplishing? And a lot of these postgrads are underemployed and/or on a career path that results in them being on Twitter all day. So we get this extremely creepy style of writing that's part academic jargon, part slang appropriated from black teenagers, and part "I'm literally shaking and feeling so unsafe right now."

it's all performative bullshit because that pomo nonsense has largely been out of fashion in academia for a while now

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m listening to that podcast ep now. Lmao this guy thinks that Tucker Carlson is a household name.

E:

Host: “I saw people wearing shirts that said ‘poor fascist pride’”

Matt: “yeah! they also probably have a shirt that says ‘go raiders’”

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

miniscule12 posted:

It's My Bull My Bull and Me, it's a cuckolding podcast.

Nice, is that anything to do with cumtown, the podcast about cum?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The Kingfish posted:

I’m listening to that podcast ep now. Lmao this guy thinks that Tucker Carlson is a household name.
I forgot to touch on this, but the Academia Brain phenomenon I'm talking about is also why "Strasserism" was a long-running mass hysteria in the DSA for awhile, and why people think Tucker Carlson or someone like him is going to infiltrate the Republican Party.

Like if you're trying to reckon with some bigoted (or just un-woke) attitudes within leftism, and you have to reach for something as obscure as Strasserism to explain it, that's a sign that you're not in touch with the working class.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao the Chuck Berry joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

E:

Host: “I saw people wearing shirts that said ‘poor fascist pride’”

Matt: “yeah! they also probably have a shirt that says ‘go raiders’”

He's a name in any household that watches Fox News, and there's a lot of those.