Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

The Bloop posted:

It really is, frankly.

I think it's worth having this discussion because it IS obviously a popular thread and anything can be improved. That being said, I read nearly every page of the drat thing and while there are occasionally slapfight flareups and himbo eruptions, I mostly get exactly what I want out of it. It's like 85-90% good and useful and it would be a shame to destroy that to chase some imagined ideal posting state

I agree with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Popularity can be just as attributed to the fact that it is the thread several large subjects are relegated to (and nobody wants to bother make a new thread to compete with USPOL while the subject is still allowed there). The convenience of screaming into the void that is a thread that can accumulate 3000 posts in 2+ days often outweighs the potential value of having a place where decent debate can happen. It's the Wal-Mart of political discussion, complete with angry beligerents taking their shirts off for a tussle because someone looked at their Big DogBuild Back tattoo wrong.

Hell, I've been contemplating working on an OP for a Biden Administration thread with the current confidence that USPOL is going to become a Current Events thread, and finding the motivation to come up with something beyond "lol biden stuff, post here" can be a PITA even when you know its not going to get smothered by a megathread.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 14, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

Popularity can be just as attributed to the fact that it is the thread several large subjects are relegated to (and nobody wants to bother make a new thread to compete with USPOL while the subject is still allowed there). The convenience of screaming into the void that is a thread that can accumulate 3000 posts in 2+ days often outweighs the potential value of having a place where decent debate can happen. It's the Wal-Mart of political discussion, complete with angry beligerents taking their shirts off for a tussle because someone looked at their Big DogBuild Back tattoo wrong.

Hell, I've been contemplating working on an OP for a Biden Administration thread with the current confidence that USPOL is going to become a Current Events thread, and finding the motivation to come up with something beyond "lol biden stuff, post here" can be a PITA even when you know its not going to get smothered by a megathread.

This is true but I only cited popularity as a reason to have THIS thread discussing possible improvements.

My claim that USPol is pretty good as-is has nothing to do with that.

Making specific threads for no-poo poo slow, deep discussion of issues is a good thing and you shouldn't (in my opinion) back away from doing it because of what you imagine might happen because another thread exists. If anything, exactly the sort of people you don't want in your thread will have someplace else to be.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

I just wanna be clear that "the current status quo, but with more moderator activity" is not an option here, because the current status quo is literally unmanageable, and that puts a significant damper on the ability of moderators to be involved. We literally doubled the number of people who had buttons in this forum and it didn't change a thing. USPol needs meaningful change. The question now isn't whether it should change, but how exactly the change should be carried out.

The mods aren't asking, "do we need to make changes in USPOL?" They're asking, "what suggestions do people have for changes that we are going to implement before the current mod team burns out?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!
I don't understand the position that useless white noise spam isn't an issue when part of why the mods are having difficulty is the sheer volume of posts. If the "real issue" is only one or two posters that each individual has identified for themself, you've already got an easy solution.

Just think of your ignore list as an informal poll of users you think should be banned from the thread.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Maybe we shouldn't encourage people posting just to scream into the void? I don't know how to stop that, but it would good to encourage people to post productively.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Harold Fjord posted:

I don't understand the position that useless white noise spam isn't an issue when part of why the mods are having difficulty is the sheer volume of posts. If the "real issue" is only one or two posters that each individual has identified for themself, you've already got an easy solution.

Just think of your ignore list as an informal poll of users you think should be banned from the thread.

The sheer volume of reports more than the sheer volume of posts. I doubt the white noise posts are generating most of these reports. If they are, maybe I'd be more inclined to agree with you though! Also, as has been mentioned multiple times, white noise posts are almost always incredibly brief and temporary... unless they are white noise posts posted with the intent to enflame.

Also, the ignore list accomplishes exactly jack and poo poo in relation to the actual problems caused by bad posting and I'm not sure what benefit you think it offers, exactly. The problem is not "I have to read posts by people I don't like/disagree with", and if you think it is after everyone has explicitly said otherwise multiple times, I honestly have no idea what to do about that.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
I agree that my proposed solution does not solve every complaint made itt, but it might help specific posters. For example, the ones very concerned that they might have to read arguments from the "I'm here to argue" poster in the argument and discussion subforum might find that it meets their needs.

No one is allegedly worried about ideology, just a few specific bad actors. The smaller the number of bad actors you are concerned about, the more likely the ignore list is to help I would think.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 14, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ElegantFugue posted:

The mods aren't asking, "do we need to make changes in USPOL?" They're asking, "what suggestions do people have for changes that we are going to implement before the current mod team burns out?"

Yeah I really don't get "USPol is fine" as a response to the moderation team calling it D&D's Afghanistan with specific examples of why it's bad. It's not fine.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's mostly fine and it seems like the 15% or so that's not fine is emanating from a handful of people and therefore pretty easily solved by putting them in timeout

That is unless you (whoever) thinks the issue that that it moves too fast or conversation isn't in-depth enough but I submit that those are silly complaints because of course a catch-all thread for all of American politics is going to have a lot of fast moving surface level discussion, that's absolutely and immutably linked to what kind of thing it is. Slow in-depth rigorous debate needs narrower thread topics, as always, but that isn't an argument for getting rid of the catch-all thread, they serve different purposes and even different (but overlapping) audiences

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Slow mode would sure help USPol right now. There's been about 10 pages of pointless bickering about stimulus checks, which has drowned out the bits of actual news that have drifted by.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Deteriorata posted:

Slow mode would sure help USPol right now. There's been about 10 pages of pointless bickering about stimulus checks, which has drowned out the bits of actual news that have drifted by.

Yeah its been pretty bad the last few hours.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like the last week showed the basic thing: when there was a lot of ongoing news the thread was really good actually. then when it slowed down it started to eat itself and became real bad.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

The answer is for an IK to tell people to cut it out (that's kind of the purpose of IKs for individual threads isn't it?) and probate those who continue to argue after the warning, not to slow the whole thread down

at least IMO

also it appears to be a D&D-wide thing which is annoying

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

The answer is for an IK to tell people to cut it out (that's kind of the purpose of IKs for individual threads isn't it?) and probate those who continue to argue after the warning, not to slow the whole thread down

at least IMO

also it appears to be a D&D-wide thing which is annoying

But an IK is one of the main pushers of the argument.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

But an IK is one of the main pushers of the argument.

You'll also notice that the person with 170+ probations who has been pushing the slapfight is simultaneously posting in the succthread about the shitlibs in dnd defending biden.

Again. Because this happens constantly, despite the repeat claims that mods there will crack down on brigading of dnd.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
It's definitely time for a CHECKS thread

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

eke out posted:

You'll also notice that the person with 170+ probations who has been pushing the slapfight is simultaneously posting in the succthread about the shitlibs in dnd defending biden.

Again. Because this happens constantly, despite the repeat claims that mods there will crack down on brigading of dnd.

but they make good posts elsewhere

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think the discussion about the stimulus checks was pretty relevant to US Politics and no one got that heated over it, and the thread wasn't going at breaking news pace, so I'm not really sure what the hell else folks could want at this point who are complaining about it. I've got half a mind to go slap everyone who complained in USPOL about it or said to bring back train chat with a sixer, because those posts were numerous and had those folks just scrolled past the thread would have moved even more slowly. By all means report rule breaking posts and pm a mod or IK if you want to give direct feedback or whatever but I just went through the last 400 posts and it's a lot of debate and discussion in debate and discussion: the subforum for debating and discussing things, and I don't really see the problem. If you think something else more pertinent should be the focus of current discussion, feel free to be the change you want to see and post about it.

e: please don't get in a huff about me lightly joking about throwing probes out, I'm not actually going to do that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Aruan posted:

Maybe we shouldn't encourage people posting just to scream into the void? I don't know how to stop that, but it would good to encourage people to post productively.

Slightly off topic but I think nihilism really ought to be discouraged, probatable and enforced more often given the importance and sensitivity of topics discussed.

That said, while I still strongly believe the above I think the community overall has gotten much better at this over the last year even in the US Pol Thread but that's only my 2 cents. YMMV.

Edit - Why are we still talking about checks. :sigh:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 15, 2021

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Gabriel S. posted:

Slightly off topic but I think nihilism really ought to be discouraged, probatable and enforced more often given the importance and sensitivity of topics discussed.

why, it doesnt matter anyway

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

awesmoe posted:

why, it doesnt matter anyway

Heh. Touche.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Harold Fjord posted:

I agree that my proposed solution does not solve every complaint made itt, but it might help specific posters. For example, the ones very concerned that they might have to read arguments from the "I'm here to argue" poster in the argument and discussion subforum might find that it meets their needs.

No one is allegedly worried about ideology, just a few specific bad actors. The smaller the number of bad actors you are concerned about, the more likely the ignore list is to help I would think.

I mean yeah, ignore me or anyone else if you can't read their posts without getting pissed off. This really isn't difficult. I don't use ignore or reporting for that matter because I don't need enforced silence to get the last word but it seems an useful tool for those who do.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean yeah, ignore me or anyone else if you can't read their posts without getting pissed off. This really isn't difficult. I don't use ignore or reporting for that matter because I don't need enforced silence to get the last word but it seems an useful tool for those who do.

Same, but with less passive-aggressiveness

Not none, just less

Seriously though, if you keep getting probed because you can't help but get baited into terrible behavior, and you can't learn to control yourself, and you refuse to just ignore-list certain people that wind you up (as a reminder if nothing else) then not being allowed to post in the thread, at least for a while, seems likea reasonable natural consequence for that. Like, nothing personal bub, but this thread just ain't for you

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Bloop posted:

Same, but with less passive-aggressiveness

Not none, just less

Seriously though, if you keep getting probed because you can't help but get baited into terrible behavior, and you can't learn to control yourself, and you refuse to just ignore-list certain people that wind you up (as a reminder if nothing else) then not being allowed to post in the thread, at least for a while, seems likea reasonable natural consequence for that. Like, nothing personal bub, but this thread just ain't for you

Eh, I don't think answering like with like counts as baiting when I relish it. The fact that these people are unable to deal with whatever fact is being presented and have to resort into tearful personal insults is basically a victory in my book.

And again, I don't have a problem with enforcement of rules. Just the selected enforcement. I haven't even complained about a single probe, except in this thread. Entirely deserved.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Not specifically partition-related, but it would be cool if there was a reserved post at the top of each page for temporary thread rules (e.g., 'Stop talking about checks'.). It's easy for posters* to reply to an earlier comment before coming across a new rule later on in the thread.

I rarely if ever post in US Pol but I've seen this issue in the past with people eating probes over a new rule they missed that was buried in the middle of page 576 or something.

*(me)

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 15, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Eason the Fifth posted:

Not specifically partition-related, but it would be cool if there was a reserved post at the top of each page for temporary thread rules (e.g., 'Stop talking about checks'.). It's easy for posters* to reply to an earlier comment before coming across a new rule later on in the thread.

I rarely if ever post in US Pol but I've seen this issue in the past with people eating probes over a new rule they missed that was buried in the middle of page 576 or something.

*(me)

Also this, I genuinely miss some stuff you are not supposed to talk about.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
A stickied post or thread announcement type thing would be good, but might be low on the priority list for the tech person's.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Thread Polls show up on every page in a super prominent way.

It's a little doofy conceptually, but it'd be a way to put the rules on every single page with no additional coding. Just use the poll options to make a bulleted list of rules.

I know it's possible for mods to edit polls because I know they've done it for jokes, if it's something that is easy to do then mods could use that to update rules. Or the thread could just get remade regularly and have the rules update as needed on each new thread creation. (actually, can the OP edit polls? I've never made a poll)

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 15, 2021

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Thread Polls show up on every page in a super prominent way.

It's a little doofy conceptually, but it'd be a way to put the rules on every single page with no additional coding. Just use the poll options to make a bulleted list of rules.

I know it's possible for mods to edit polls because I know they've done it for jokes, if it's something that is easy to do then mods could use that to update rules. Or the thread could just get remade regularly and have the rules update as needed on each new thread creation. (actually, can the OP edit polls? I've never made a poll)
Poll: "Which thread rule will be broken most often today?" [options = active temporary thread rules]

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Harold Fjord posted:

A stickied post or thread announcement type thing would be good, but might be low on the priority list for the tech person's.

I think Lowtax did something vey similar to this with AdBot about a billion years ago. I don't know poo poo about coding though (especially radium's SA code, which by all accounts is the Wreck of the Hesperus) so I don't know how hard it would be to reimplement.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
D&D>USPol: don't talk about fight club.. Or the primary

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Eason the Fifth posted:

I think Lowtax did something vey similar to this with AdBot about a billion years ago. I don't know poo poo about coding though (especially radium's SA code, which by all accounts is the Wreck of the Hesperus) so I don't know how hard it would be to reimplement.

Oh poo poo, I remember Ad Bot. That code has to be rattling around in the tubes somewhere still, right?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Genuinely asking: is there a place to discuss politics without debating, pot shots, embarrassing screeds about how a poster is acting in bad faith? To USPol’s credit, whenever I ask a question or wonder why the left is taking X position on something, I get a ton of good answers rather quickly. Just...that thread is kinda embarrassing to read at any other time.

It’s entirely possible that what I’m asking would turn into some awful redditesque echo chamber which would also be unreadable in its own way.

:shrug:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

buglord posted:

Genuinely asking: is there a place to discuss politics without debating, pot shots, embarrassing screeds about how a poster is acting in bad faith? To USPol’s credit, whenever I ask a question or wonder why the left is taking X position on something, I get a ton of good answers rather quickly. Just...that thread is kinda embarrassing to read at any other time.
I'm not sure I'm tracking here... when there aren't clear and objective answers, won't any question lead to debate? For most anything politically, there's usually some ambiguity or disagreement for answers or for the motivation behind a given policy/messaging strategy/coup.

Is there a place for political discussion where pot shots, posting about posters, and the generally unhinged rhetoric that semi-regularly accompanies disagreement in USPol? I mean, it's ostensibly USPol. I don't envy the mods, the bulk of lovely posting is in response to other lovely posting and simply enforcing the rules as they're written is... not simple.

One issue I've noticed and not seen mentioned much is that generally and across the ideological spectrum: If your posting is generating more light than heat, you get a lot of leeway for being lovely. Even if, like my posting, it's :effortful: but tedious and of marginal value. I do wonder if one of the impending spinoffs should be basically USPOL with zero tolerance for posting about posters (either directly or behind a thin veil of posting team jersey). My recollection of Trumpthread+UsPol+Thunderdome has me fairly confident that it'll either end up a littletrafficked stepchild (as USPOL was in that era, though for the opposite reason) or it'll be popular and, like the Trump thread of its time, any attempts to enforce the simple rule will be proof of a biased modding cabal.

fool of sound posted:

OK, so with feedback, here's where I'm at right now:

---Rename USPol to USNews; thread is in permanent slow mode
---Make it clear that when big breaking news happens, anyone can feel free to make a fast thread for that topic with very loose OP standards. Generally encourage people to make more threads.
---We put a big directory of threads on US affiliated topics in the OP, and people are allowed to advertise new threads there.
---Mods and IKs will monitor USNews and push conversations and arguments that last over-long into appropriate threads.
---Add a rule to USNews that any posted article or tweet should have a minimums of a sentence of two summarizing the context and what they find interesting, funny, or informative about it.
I started off really hating this, FoS. But I think I've talked myself into it. I still think it'll fail, in that one of the offshoots will grow into an overreaching megathread within a year, but I'm coming around to the idea of that being the healthy lifecycle for US Politics in D&D. Trustbusting a megathread and knowing that even though one of its successors will eventually fill that void, two or three other offshoots will become selfsustaining (scotusthread and state&local).

I'd recommend a refresh of those two, and then congress, a healthcare reform reboot, education policy, foreign policy, police reform, and the social safety net. Maybe a thread where interested posters can submit OPs, winning posts receiving a fabulous prize (plat, or for way more fun, a no questions asked one week probe of the USPOL poster of your choice. Anyone who'd object to bearing a small sacrifice has no place in our new utopia)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Some of the recurring derails should get threads. I get that USPOL isn't the place to talk about what pizza is the best or the proper way to make chili, but honestly it's something that can be debated and discussed. It might be nice to have some threads that are lower stakes where people can have a little bit of fun.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Some of the recurring derails should get threads. I get that USPOL isn't the place to talk about what pizza is the best or the proper way to make chili, but honestly it's something that can be debated and discussed. It might be nice to have some threads that are lower stakes where people can have a little bit of fun.

The food derails help relieve some tension from the thread and remind everyone we are humans, they aren't the problem.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Here's a very obvious example of rules being applied unevenly and in bad faith, from today.

A poster made the following post:

quote:

Biden is definitely sundowning.

That's it. Zero effort. Literally four words.

After several posters responded with "no he doesn't", Majorian immediately clamped down:

Majorian posted:

Let's leave the takes on whether or not Biden is sundowning to the gerontologists and cognitive therapists and whoever else is qualified to make that call. That goes for everyone.

Why wasn't the original poster given at least a sixer? Could it be because they identify as a leftist? I know their post was reported, but it's very interesting that Majorian himself did not give a sixer and queue something longer, as is the usual practice for these types of posts.

The reason this is important to bring up is because he frequently demands evidence and effort when it comes to positive things said about Biden, such as whether Biden can be trusted when he says he will do <good thing>. But if it's a criticism of Biden, he just plays the "both sides" card and pretends he's the adult breaking up a fight amongst children.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah happens nonstop not even news anymore, this morning someone started the 1400 vs 2000 slapfight that Majoran specifically said to stop talking about again, then a few posts later someone posted why some people they know seem to wear note voting for Biden a badge of honor. Guess which one got pounced on by Majoran?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
This thread will be closing Tuesday, two weeks after it opened. This is our current plan of action:

---reboot uspol as usnews, changing the focus from the news and the US political system as a whole to just the former. add a directory of in-depth topic threads to the OP.
---guide repeat or lengthy discussions or arguments out of usnews and to their own threads. start with slow mode off but turn it on if this proves difficult or if the thread serially tvivs. Ramp and remove posters who don't seem to get the message.
---make a "new d&d thread" thread, clarify that experimental, short term, or breaking news thread don't necessarily require high effort ops. Possibly reward posters who do make high effort ops with av changes or gang tags or something.

Is there anything else that people think needs to happen with regard to USpol, usnews, or future offshoots?