Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That seems a bit extreme. game p bad tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Paracelsus posted:

Legendary GLs don't seem to be boss damage meta in PvE right now, though

an adaptive GL with spike grenades is one of the better boss-busting legendaries available right now that isn't a sword. total damage is on the lower side, but that almost never matters

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm beginning to think it was not a good idea to revamp the entire game repeatedly to the point that you're 'still finding your feet' after 6 years and the dwindling playerbase is just looking for an excuse to move on.

yep

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
You either enjoy the game as a filthy casual or play long enough to hate almost everything about it.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I've enjoyed the Beyond Light expansion, ticked off a lot of firsts for me and once I get the rest of the augment triumphs done for the Splintered title that will probably be it for me. Though I would have tapped out a LOT earlier if I wasn't able to boost up to 1200 on the first day via the EDZ lost sector exploit.

Feeling like this will be the last season I play to any meaningful extent, at least until Bungie start moving away from, instead of rapidly towards, making the game a second full-time job. Which is a shame because the guns and scenery are second-to-none, for my money anyway.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

they can finally put the Essence that drops Premonition into the game (it still sits in the API, taunting me)

:rip:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

aejix posted:

I've enjoyed the Beyond Light expansion, ticked off a lot of firsts for me and once I get the rest of the augment triumphs done for the Splintered title that will probably be it for me. Though I would have tapped out a LOT earlier if I wasn't able to boost up to 1200 on the first day via the EDZ lost sector exploit.

Feeling like this will be the last season I play to any meaningful extent, at least until Bungie start moving away from, instead of rapidly towards, making the game a second full-time job. Which is a shame because the guns and scenery are second-to-none, for my money anyway.

I'm not looking forward to doing all the same old poo poo again to grind up 50 light levels next season.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Waking vigil!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Are there benefits to joining a clan, even if I don't participate actively in it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rad-daddio posted:

Are there benefits to joining a clan, even if I don't participate actively in it?
A few mild bonuses and a few free engrams a week.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A few mild bonuses and a few free engrams a week.

nice.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Also access to some Clan bounties that give decent rewards and a text channel to shitpost in. Plus some Triumphs can only be done with clanmates.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Also gently caress you Bungie where’s my tigerspite

I think you are the only person on the planet that wants tigerspite back, either ironically or unironically.

If there was ranking for the worst gun in Destiny, Tigerspite would have to be removed from the running because nothing else comes close.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

RocketRaygun posted:

I think you are the only person on the planet that wants tigerspite back, either ironically or unironically.

If there was ranking for the worst gun in Destiny, Tigerspite would have to be removed from the running because nothing else comes close.

There's at least two of us. My outlaw+killclip one kicked rear end in pve. I know 450s were never meta during its lifetime, but it worked quite well for me during the Forsaken era.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ponzicar posted:

There's at least two of us. My outlaw+killclip one kicked rear end in pve. I know 450s were never meta during its lifetime, but it worked quite well for me during the Forsaken era.

This is like enjoying the pain from running a marathon with bare feet on a hot summer road covered in ground up broken glass.

Like, you'll probably reach your destination but there are better ways to go about it. If you can get pleasure from the lacerations then who are we to stop you?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RocketRaygun posted:

Not only was Tigerspite one of the best looking guns but without even looking it up I can name two worse kinetic ARs to shoot (ether doctor and horror story)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If you want the worst gun in Destiny history it’s obviously edge transit

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I heartily dislike Cuboid ARu, it takes up half the screen and is a bad weapon in the already struggling 450 AR archetype

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Edge Transit earned me the Mountaintop and I will hear no slander against it :colbert:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

RocketRaygun posted:

Ahem...

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1091418835910094849?s=20

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I liked my Tigerspite, also loved my Ringing Nail

450 gang rise up :colbert:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Thats only so he can run the best secondary of all time.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey folks, I played a little at launch and lost my character in the battle.net->steam transition because I didn't realize or care it was happening, but some of my friends have started playing again and I'm curious about getting into this once more. How long would it take to level & get to gear/power rating 1220-ish?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

He... masterworked it?????

:ohdear:

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Arcturas posted:

Hey folks, I played a little at launch and lost my character in the battle.net->steam transition because I didn't realize or care it was happening, but some of my friends have started playing again and I'm curious about getting into this once more. How long would it take to level & get to gear/power rating 1220-ish?

The loss of your character didn't affect how long it would take for you to level up. If you hadn't moved from bnet before the deadline, you would have been power leveled to the base level for this expansion when you did which is where new players start.

As for how long it would take... depends on how hard you want to push for it. I got to soft cap on my main in a day. 1220 would take you a few days past that. However, it doesn't matter that much, as about 90% of the content you would play with your friends doesn't require high light level.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
how am i supposed to spend 20k crucible tokens

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
The game gives absolutely no info and is super unforgiving to returning players who played casually. I've read a lot of the thread but a couple things are unclear to me about sunsetting, hoping you guys can answer.

- The old exotics and other guns that I still have access to - if they're at 1050, how high can I forge them if I liked them in the past? I liked my old Bygones, dunno if it can be made useful again.
- Which campaigns are available? Forsaken, Moon and Beyond Light? Is there any reason to play the old ones on a new character? It's super confusing that it throws my Warlock into Beyond Light, when I had never done any of the earlier content on that character.

Edit: Apologies the OP mentions which campaigns are available, but the question remains, is it worth it to play through them or am I getting garbage old gear?

Crimson fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 16, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bideo James posted:

A lot of clicking

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

You dropped an edge transit on the field! Hope you're proud; I'm not

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Crimson posted:

The game gives absolutely no info and is super unforgiving to returning players who played casually. I've read a lot of the thread but a couple things are unclear to me about sunsetting, hoping you guys can answer.

- The old exotics and other guns that I still have access to - if they're at 1050, how high can I forge them if I liked them in the past? I liked my old Bygones, dunno if it can be made useful again.
- Which campaigns are available? Forsaken, Moon and Beyond Light? Is there any reason to play the old ones on a new character? It's super confusing that it throws my Warlock into Beyond Light, when I had never done any of the earlier content on that character.

Edit: Apologies the OP mentions which campaigns are available, but the question remains, is it worth it to play through them or am I getting garbage old gear?

All exotics (guns and armour) have no level cap and can be upgraded indefinitely. Note however old armour drops (depending on exactly when they dropped) will be on the old system of a fixed perk pool and won't be as flexible as new versions. You can always pull any previously found exotic from collections, however.

You won't be able to upgrade non-exotic weapons to current light levels, but some old weapons will drop in new forms with higher sunset levels (old ones have the grey triangular tab on the top-left of the icon). Bygones, as far as I know, is not one of them. Even the reward that Drifter gives from the old gambit progression questline is sunset.

As for old campaigns, at the moment everything Forsaken and Shadowkeep drops (outside of exotics and raid gear) is sunset. They are changing that in the next season where some of the old gear will drop at higher levels, but maybe only from certain activities. Right now the only reason to run the previous campaigns is for story/lore.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Crimson posted:

1. If it has the grey triangle in the corner, no further. If it shows a level cap of 1260 (the current season cap), you will never be able to infuse it higher than that even after this season. Your Bygones is bygone, sorry.

2. Just those three. You'll need to complete at least the first quest of Forsaken and Shadowkeep to unlock the areas necessary to do the current season content ("Wrathborn Hunts"). Buckle up because the BL campaign will need to be repeated in full for all your alts except for the fragment quests if you want to fully kit out your stasis subclass. You'll also need to re-find all the Europa and Cosmodrome lost sectors on each character to be able to do the Master and Legend versions of those, which is currently the only way to get the new exotic armor pieces.

ETA- sunset weapons are still fine for quickplay PVP since light level is disabled there

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 16, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Paracelsus posted:

The eternal struggle of Destiny: It's constantly dragged down by innumerable problems, many of which should have been fixed years ago, but it scratches a particular itch and every other game that attempts to do so crashes and burns so Destiny can just keep on truckin'.

Sylphosaurus posted:

This is pretty much how I finally gave up on the game, after playing both games from day one. There´s so much fun and interesting stuff that could have been added to the game but it´s mainly stuck in the same kind of gameplay rut since Destiny, which is fine for some people but I pretty much got pretty fed up with it.

I think the frustrating thing is they fix things (community happiest when they added infusion) and then backtrack (community very sad about sunsetting & vaulting) and the game is seemingly in a sort of tug-of-war about what it even wants to be, and that leaves some players very frustrated but maybe appeals to others? I think the one unifying thing across the entire playerbase however is that everyone would agree that the foundations for a truly amazing game are in place, it's just held back by poor decisions, which are sadly becoming increasingly common.

Meiteron posted:

Everyone should be playing a different game every now and then. Playing one game forever doesn't sound like the great idea Bungie probably wishes it was!

I remember when Luke Smith was saying in a Vidoc that he wanted the game to be more easygoing for players with less of a grind, explicitly stating that Bungie wanted to respect players time and not have any FOMO so they could play other games. I wonder what happened to change that attitude, or if it was just PR to get people sucked in and invested before making all the changes that they have? He's said so many contradictory things.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm beginning to think it was not a good idea to revamp the entire game repeatedly to the point that you're 'still finding your feet' after 6 years and the dwindling playerbase is just looking for an excuse to move on.

I doubt it would ever happen, but I think that if they just said "We've received a lot of feedback about the state of the game and are working on removing sunsetting and re-adding all the vaulted content as quickly as possible" there would be an overwhelmingly positive response from the community and player numbers would skyrocket.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

I doubt it would ever happen, but I think that if they just said "We've received a lot of feedback about the state of the game and are working on removing sunsetting and re-adding all the vaulted content as quickly as possible" there would be an overwhelmingly positive response from the community and player numbers would skyrocket.

But then you're back to the original problem of power creep, getting players to try new weapons, and the game itself being very large memory-wise

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I have no answer to power creep aside from not thinking it was a problem tbh. Players always were excited for new weapons and tried them with each release and the game having a large filesize doesn't seem to matter if COD can get away with being much larger with way less content.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bideo James posted:

Is there a particular weapon roll you want? Are you in dire need of Enhancement Cores, Gunsmith Materials, or Legendary Shards?

If you answered no to either of these questions, then your most efficient method is to just delete them.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

im gonna re-litigate the argument we've had a thousand times before because im sick and delirious and i dont give a poo poo about anything.

SgtSteel91 posted:

But then you're back to the original problem of power creep

not actually a problem. it was a problem, but balance adjustments targeting those perks and/or weapons solved those issues. example: revoker. you know what still works perfectly in crucible? revoker. you know what i haven't seen at all in crucible? revoker. adored has completely replaced it (which is its own problem). the real issue is that bungie decided to release weapons that were decent/perfect rolls of a given archetype. edgewise. delirium. felwinter's lie. and now you can just fuckin pull them from collections, you dont ever have to grind for them and/or babysit your roll ever again. that's really loving dumb. pinnacle/ritual/unique/whatever waepons are bad and ruined the entire god drat system, but bungie could not admit that and just get rid of the problem children. they cut off the nose in spite of the face instead of just popping the zits and dealing with the sore spots for a little while

quote:

getting players to try new weapons

the solution to this is "design better guns"/. which bungie has been doing. for example: despite stubbornly clinging to bygones for most of my career, i would have dropped it like an egg after trying hailing confusion once. both are adaptive pulses, but hail comes w/ better stability and a highlight scope. bygones would ahve been retired even without sunsetting. another example: stryker's sure hand. gorgeous sword. a very pretty stick which i love. but falling guillotine? that heavy attack is money in the bank. i still have my stryker because i cannot bring myself to destroy my vaporwave knife (even if they destroyed the obsidian radiance, the bastards), but the boat oar has been my go-to weapon since i got my first one.

bungie panicked about this because they designed many guns which were not good; or, not good enough./ and when players didnt use them enough they went "oh no its obviously because players are too attached to their old guns!!!"

no, its because the guns offered were not interesting. i would still have and/or use a steelfeather repeater if they would loving let me because a kinetic 720 is my jam

quote:

and the game itself being very large memory-wise
this.

this is true.

though a large amount of memory saving for the existing content is just compressing y1 poo poo out of existence (like faction rally stuff that's been kicking around for years even though it got dumpstered)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

But then you're back to the original problem of power creep, getting players to try new weapons, and the game itself being very large memory-wise

Yeah none of that was a problem. If people didn't wanna try weapons then that's them but the community as a whole loves new guns and to test them out. Power Creep in a PVE game is funny and worrying about file size when they took out more than half the game and we have nothing to do is crazy.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Bideo James posted:

Wait until they're depreciated and delete them all in one shot.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

PERMACAV 50 posted:

1. If it has the grey triangle in the corner, no further. If it shows a level cap of 1260 (the current season cap), you will never be able to infuse it higher than that even after this season. Your Bygones is bygone, sorry.

2. Just those three. You'll need to complete at least the first quest of Forsaken and Shadowkeep to unlock the areas necessary to do the current season content ("Wrathborn Hunts"). Buckle up because the BL campaign will need to be repeated in full for all your alts except for the fragment quests if you want to fully kit out your stasis subclass. You'll also need to re-find all the Europa and Cosmodrome lost sectors on each character to be able to do the Master and Legend versions of those, which is currently the only way to get the new exotic armor pieces.

ETA- sunset weapons are still fine for quickplay PVP since light level is disabled there

Thank you so much to you and Hobnob. RIP Bygones, you were too beautiful for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Crimson posted:

Thank you so much to you and Hobnob. RIP Bygones, you were too beautiful for this world.

if you have beyond light. go to europa. talk to the bugg. he will give you a gun called HAILING CONFUSION

its bygones but better. the scope highlights people