Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

raminasi posted:

Why is offsetting taxes the goal, though, when the method is just “make more money?” That chart doesn’t even have tax rates on it, which is my point.

the point is to create roth ira like conditions in a taxable environment, im extremely dumb but im assuming taking on even more leverage would substantially increase risk thus defeating the original purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mad Wack posted:

the point is to create roth ira like conditions in a taxable environment, im extremely dumb but im assuming taking on even more leverage would substantially increase risk thus defeating the original purpose

And that makes sense. But the original piece doesn’t tie tax rates to risk at all - it just picks your marginal tax rate as the spot to target without doing any evaluation of the risk of that particular spot, which is what confuses me.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

yeah the article feels a little breezy on the risk side of things but again i might just be misunderstanding it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cheese eats mouse posted:

Would like to thank this thread's education and my partner's support as I crack 50k in retirement savings tomorrow. It's a big milestone for me. I've been saving even a little bit since I started working post college and I think even the little $100 a month back when I was making 30k a year helped give me a headstart.

hell yeah that hundred bucks a month helped. congrats! the next 50k is gonna be a whole lot easier.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mad Wack posted:

yeah.

those two articles i posted tie in together but they aren’t exactly the same. the first article is about how leverage can change your risk/return profile and allow you to achieve higher expected returns for the same risk, or lower risk for the same expected returns. that’s what that chart is showing. what that chart doesn’t show you is what your risk level should be or what goals you should have.

the second article is talking about using the strategy from the first article to achieve the goal of approximating a roth ira in a taxable amount. nobodies saying that needs to be your goal but it’s an example of how you could potentially use leverage in a concrete way. you obviously can’t just lever money out of the aether risk free which is why he wasn’t talking about tripling your returns

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what im saying is forums poster zuarg is leaving money on the table by not rolling futures contracts

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

2 Quick questions. I recently changed employment (for the first time in my adult life)

1) I have a 401K with Vanguard, I currently plan to roll the funds over to the new company's 401K plan with Fidelity. The new plan offers a decent selection of funds with very low expenses. Vanguard seems to recommend moving it to a Vanguard IRA. I don't plan on making any retirement contributions outside the new company 401K at this point in time

2) I have an HSA account with a couple thousand in it from the old job with BofA. Is there anywhere I can move this to avoid the monthly maintenance fee? New company uses an HRA system which they fund, so I believe I have to use all the HRA funds first and then I can use the HSA funds. I won't use all the HRA funds they offer in a normal year. I know it's only like 30 bucks a year in maintenance, but hey, 30 bucks is 30 bucks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ropes4u posted:

I am a couple months to three years away from pulling the plug on work and was wondering how much risk everyone thinks they will be willing to accept in retirement?

It is probably a pointless amount of debate but I’m leaning towards a 70/30 mix or possibly 60/40 mix through a vanguard fund or the three fund mix.

My current plan (decades away from enacting it) is: cash/CD ladder for ~5 years' worth of expenses, 100% equities for the rest.

Would like to thank this thread's education and my partner's support as I crack 50k in retirement savings tomorrow. It's a big milestone for me. I've been saving even a little bit since I started working post college and I think even the little $100 a month back when I was making 30k a year helped give me a headstart.

Congrats!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

skipdogg posted:

2) I have an HSA account with a couple thousand in it from the old job with BofA. Is there anywhere I can move this to avoid the monthly maintenance fee? New company uses an HRA system which they fund, so I believe I have to use all the HRA funds first and then I can use the HSA funds. I won't use all the HRA funds they offer in a normal year. I know it's only like 30 bucks a year in maintenance, but hey, 30 bucks is 30 bucks.

Fidelity offers a no-fee HSA you can roll your existing one into.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hell yeah that hundred bucks a month helped. congrats! the next 50k is gonna be a whole lot easier.

This is so true. Started following this thread in the Spring of 2018 with about $40k in retirement savings. Passed $100k in August and am already over $150k.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

skipdogg posted:

2 Quick questions. I recently changed employment (for the first time in my adult life)

1) I have a 401K with Vanguard, I currently plan to roll the funds over to the new company's 401K plan with Fidelity. The new plan offers a decent selection of funds with very low expenses. Vanguard seems to recommend moving it to a Vanguard IRA. I don't plan on making any retirement contributions outside the new company 401K at this point in time

Echoing Fidelity HSA for #2.

For #1 - If you ever think you'll need to do a standard Backdoor Roth, moving to an IRA might be bad. If you're not moving to an IRA, then it depends on both old and new 401k funds available and fee structures. I left my last company's 401k as-is because my new company's has both worse funds and higher fees (slightly on both). Plus, rollovers take effort.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Hell yeah, congratulations! The math on the value of early investments versus the same amounts invested later is staggering. Those first contributions definitely helped--I wish I had had the money or knowledge to do the same back then.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

raminasi posted:

Fidelity offers a no-fee HSA you can roll your existing one into.

Excellent. Thank You!

CubicalSucrose posted:

Echoing Fidelity HSA for #2.

For #1 - If you ever think you'll need to do a standard Backdoor Roth, moving to an IRA might be bad. If you're not moving to an IRA, then it depends on both old and new 401k funds available and fee structures. I left my last company's 401k as-is because my new company's has both worse funds and higher fees (slightly on both). Plus, rollovers take effort.

The new 401k plan is pretty good but has a limited fund selection. Big focus on low ER funds. The usual 9 target date funds, and 9 others. Very low ER though. I've been 100% into S&P 500 index the last few years which has worked out well, but I turn 40 soon and may start moving towards 10% bonds.

This is awesome!

I can't stress enough to anyone who might read this, start saving as soon as you can, especially if there is an employee match. (Free money!) My wife and I started saving as soon as we started our "adult" careers about 15 years ago, just enough to get the full match from work, and we recently broke 300K in combined retirement savings. I turn 40 next month and she's a couple years younger than me. I often feel like we're behind where we should be, but I also know a ton of people my age with ZERO retirement savings and that's scary.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
It’s awesome having a small retirement nest egg saved up at a relatively young age. We could contribute very little for the next 30 years and still have a comfortable retirement. The wonders of compound interest!

Of course, the trade off is that we don’t own a house since we jammed everything into retirement for the past five years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

laxbro posted:

It’s awesome having a small retirement nest egg saved up at a relatively young age. We could contribute very little for the next 30 years and still have a comfortable retirement. The wonders of compound interest!

Of course, the trade off is that we don’t own a house since we jammed everything into retirement for the past five years.

The other part of that trade off is that you will be housed and not living on cat food in your old age. I think that's a pretty fair trade.

Good job getting this started.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hey guys, need a bit of advice. My financial background for context:

Me and the stay at home wife are 39 and have a 1 year old baby. I’m making about $200k and that should hopefully go up by about 50% in the next few years, no debt, 9mo emergency fund. Maxing out 401k, HSA, Roth IRA and putting $350 a month on the baby’s 529. Life is good for now, but I’m in the airline industry so things can turn bad on a dime.

We are renting in NYC, but planning to move out in the next few years. Don’t know where, we can go anywhere in the country. But when we do, we wanna buy a house. I have never owned any property. I was just looking into opening for my wife a spousal Roth IRA to max out the last bit of tax advantaged space available to us. Is it a better idea to save that money into a down payment? I was planning to start saving for that this year, even though the end goal is nebulous as we don’t know where we wanna live or how much we wanna spend. I’m assuming I should just dump money into a HYSA and let the chips fall were they may when the time comes.

Another question, my wife is planning to go back to school when the kid starts going to school, so in about 4 years. She’s thinking of studying something practical like becoming a Sonogram Technician. Probably won’t be cheap. Should I pivot our 529 savings from the baby to the wife and increase the amount we save? This would also affect the allocation as it’s currently set for aggressive growth for an 18 year glide path.

Thanks.

Animal fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 15, 2021

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

If I have the option to plow a bunch of money into a Roth 401k + Roth/backdoor Roth (or a mega-backdoor Roth 401k), is there any reason NOT to go that route, assuming the fund options don't suck? (As compared to other saving/investment options.)

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 15, 2021

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Animal posted:

Me and the stay at home wife are 39 and have a 1 year old baby. I’m making about $200k and that should hopefully go up by about 50% in the next few years, no debt, 9mo emergency fund. Maxing out 401k, HSA, Roth IRA and putting $350 a month on the baby’s 529. Life is good for now, but I’m in the airline industry so things can turn bad on a dime.

We are renting in NYC, but planning to move out in the next few years. Don’t know where, we can go anywhere in the country. But when we do, we wanna buy a house. I have never owned any property. I was just looking into opening for my wife a spousal Roth IRA to max out the last bit of tax advantaged space available to us. Is it a better idea to save that money into a down payment? I was planning to start saving for that this year, even though the end goal is nebulous as we don’t know where we wanna live or how much we wanna spend. I’m assuming I should just dump money into a HYSA and let the chips fall were they may when the time comes.

Another question, my wife is planning to go back to school when the kid starts going to school, so in about 4 years. She’s thinking of studying something practical like becoming a Sonogram Technician. Probably won’t be cheap. Should I pivot our 529 savings from the baby to the wife and increase the amount we save? This would also affect the allocation as it’s currently set for aggressive growth for an 18 year glide path.

Thanks.
Will the state you're moving to have a 529 tax benefit? Many don't, so just keep that in mind. I'm meh about 529s in general though. If your short term goal is a house downpayment I would prioritize that into a HYSA.

Watch the income limits on the roth IRA, you're close to the border there.

I mean, at $300k you could save enough to retire in five/ten years if you want to live in a LCOL area. Is early retirement a goal? What do expenses look like?

You can get lots of credits through community college for those kinds of medical tech positions, definitely spend time researching the best options.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

moana posted:

Will the state you're moving to have a 529 tax benefit? Many don't, so just keep that in mind.

I have no idea, since we don’t know where we will end up. For now, 529’s are tax deductible from NY taxes up to $10k and my state and city taxes are high enough that I thought it’s worth saving a lot through the 529.
I’ll start throttling down the 529 down to $200 and save more for the house.

quote:

Watch the income limits on the roth IRA, you're close to the border there.

Yeah... I need to start getting acquainted with the backdoor thing.

quote:

I mean, at $300k you could save enough to retire in five/ten years if you want to live in a LCOL area. Is early retirement a goal? What do expenses look like?

We are pretty frugal overall. I’d say we could live a decent life on a $50k gross yr budget, and on $75k our lifestyle wouldn’t change much. But then again, I don’t know how that might change as my daughter ages.

As far as I’m aware, the only big sacrifice would be a cut in travel, and having to live somewhere we consider “boring” just because it’s low cost. For my disposable income I have two dumb hobbies I spend money on but I’m usually close to breaking even and sometimes profit after selling my trinkets. But I already plan to cut that off, it’s not like it sparks a ton of joy. My wife has been doing quite a lot of home and baby related shopping therapy after having the baby, but I can’t fault her because it’s how she’s been coping with not working anymore and the isolation of raising a child all by herself under COVID while I am gone abroad for weeks for work. She’s on a ‘nesting instinct’ phase. It’s definitely not a permanent character flaw and I’m sure she’ll go back to her normal frugal self.

I don’t wanna retire early. I enjoy my job. I do wanna be financially independent, in case I am suddenly unable to do my job anymore. Also, I wanna attain enough wealth so that if my daughter turns out to be incapable of earning a decent income, she can live a decent life off of what we leave behind. So I’m aiming for age 60 for retirement.

quote:

You can get lots of credits through community college for those kinds of medical tech positions, definitely spend time researching the best options.

I didn’t know this, thanks. We’ll look into it.

So what about her Roth, should I start maxing that out while I still can, or should we prioritize saving for a home?

Animal fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 15, 2021

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Animal posted:

I love my job

I’m 56 and also love my job, but knowing that I can walk away is making it very hard to continue to my planned retirement age of 60.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ropes4u posted:

I’m 56 and also love my job, but knowing that I can walk away is making it very hard to continue to my planned retirement age of 60.

lol your old as hell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Animal posted:

Thanks.

Just from the more emotional side of things, you might want to rent wherever you end up moving for a little bit before you buy a house. It's good to figure out how a community works, and whether or not it really works for you, before you have a half million dollar millstone tying you to that community and a specific place in that community.

My wife went back to school and student loan rates were not good at all, so you will probably want to pay cash. Since you have a lot of upcoming short term cash needs, I think it's a good idea to put a bunch of money in to HYSA. If you plan to begin spending from a 529 in 4 years, the tax savings are pretty negligible since you'll want to be in a really low risk portfolio. I think personally I'd just plan on paying for wife school directly out of your income or income and ordinary savings in HYSA, and stay the course in your 529.

Also, thanks for bringing up the spousal IRA. My wife didn't earn income in 2020 so we had just assumed IRA contributions were out of the question for her. Now to figure out how this works with her existing IRAs.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just from the more emotional side of things, you might want to rent wherever you end up moving for a little bit before you buy a house. It's good to figure out how a community works, and whether or not it really works for you, before you have a half million dollar millstone tying you to that community and a specific place in that community.

My wife went back to school and student loan rates were not good at all, so you will probably want to pay cash. Since you have a lot of upcoming short term cash needs, I think it's a good idea to put a bunch of money in to HYSA. If you plan to begin spending from a 529 in 4 years, the tax savings are pretty negligible since you'll want to be in a really low risk portfolio. I think personally I'd just plan on paying for wife school directly out of your income or income and ordinary savings in HYSA, and stay the course in your 529.

Also, thanks for bringing up the spousal IRA. My wife didn't earn income in 2020 so we had just assumed IRA contributions were out of the question for her. Now to figure out how this works with her existing IRAs.

Thanks, I think you are right. I’m just gonna dump as much cash as I can into a HYSA for a down payment and then pay for her school out of my income. I’ll try to simultaneously keep maxing out my tax advantaged accounts. I guess it’s time to stop buying Rolex watches
:thermidor:

We intend to rent for a year when we move. We are looking into Austin, TX or St Pete/Tampa, FL as contenders but I really need to get educated on stuff like how good the public schools are. Wherever we go it’ll be a big tax savings moving out of NYC which should go a long way towards paying for her school.

The spousal IRA - someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you just put money into her regular IRA and then do your taxes jointly. Then the only requirement is that you made as much money as you saved inside both IRA’s.

https://investor.vanguard.com/ira/spousal-ira

Animal fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 15, 2021

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ropes4u posted:

My friend's dad retired at about 60 and the last 5 years or so he pretty much said "no I'm not doing that. Because I don't want to" to anything he felt like. Said it was the best five years of his whole career lol.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

My friend's dad retired at about 60 and the last 5 years or so he pretty much said "no I'm not doing that. Because I don't want to" to anything he felt like. Said it was the best five years of his whole career lol.

This is my goal in life. Airline pilots don’t live to be very old and I already had two coworkers keel over and die within months of retiring at age 65. I’ve heard a figure that for every year a pilot retires early, it adds about 3 years to their potential lifespan. So while I love my job, 60 is a good target. That being said, I wanna work long enough that we have enough capital saved so that when I eventually do keel over and die, my wife will live a comfortable life for the next 30 years she will probably outlast me, and hopefully some for my daughter. Playing the really long term game here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Animal posted:

I guess it’s time to stop buying Rolex watches
:thermidor:

hittin them pilot stereotypes

I know people who live in both of those places and really like them, although they are very much Not For Me. Good luck!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Animal posted:

So what about her Roth, should I start maxing that out while I still can, or should we prioritize saving for a home?
I'd personally keep maxing out both of your Roth IRAs. You can always decide to withdraw the contributions tax/penalty free. But you can't go back and contribute for previous years if your plans end up changing.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Can you take a loan from your Roth like you can from your 401k?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Animal posted:

Can you take a loan from your Roth like you can from your 401k?

You can always withdraw contributions without penalty.

quote:

Withdrawals from a Roth IRA you've had less than five years.
If you take a distribution of Roth IRA earnings before you reach age 59½ and before the account is five years old, the earnings may be subject to taxes and penalties. You may be able to avoid penalties (but not taxes) in the following situations:

You use the withdrawal (up to a $10,000 lifetime maximum) to pay for a first-time home purchase.
You use the withdrawal to pay for qualified education expenses.
You use the withdrawal for qualified expenses related to a birth or adoption.
You become disabled or pass away.
You use the withdrawal to pay for unreimbursed medical expenses or health insurance if you're unemployed.
The distribution is made in substantially equal periodic payments.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

zaurg posted:

Can I buy the book from you if you're done with it?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
So I got married last year, and am trying to figure out how (if?) things change for retirement savings. We're talking to an accountant/tax person later this month but I'd like to be somewhat informed before going in. Wife and I are both high earners and have contributed max to all retirement prior to getting married. Do things have to change now that we're married? Can we both still max out all of our accounts individually or I'd there some new limit I need to know about before I change my deductions/enrollments? Wife does mega backdoor Roth 401k and I believe I just became eligible for that through my employer as well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Big Jesus posted:

So I got married last year, and am trying to figure out how (if?) things change for retirement savings. We're talking to an accountant/tax person later this month but I'd like to be somewhat informed before going in. Wife and I are both high earners and have contributed max to all retirement prior to getting married. Do things have to change now that we're married? Can we both still max out all of our accounts individually or I'd there some new limit I need to know about before I change my deductions/enrollments? Wife does mega backdoor Roth 401k and I believe I just became eligible for that through my employer as well.

Nothing should change, but as someone who went through something similar:

1. Continue to max our your 401k/Backdoor Roths individually
2. See if your employer has options for additional tax free savings in 457 accounts available. These become a nice option for shielding money from taxes (at least temporarily) at your highest marginal rate (37% potentially).
3. Make sure your withholdings take into account both of your salaries so you're not bitterly watching the IRS take $$$$ from your account on April 15th due to underwitholding.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Animal posted:

This is my goal in life. Airline pilots don’t live to be very old and I already had two coworkers keel over and die within months of retiring at age 65. I’ve heard a figure that for every year a pilot retires early, it adds about 3 years to their potential lifespan. So while I love my job, 60 is a good target. That being said, I wanna work long enough that we have enough capital saved so that when I eventually do keel over and die, my wife will live a comfortable life for the next 30 years she will probably outlast me, and hopefully some for my daughter. Playing the really long term game here.

Without completely derailing the thread, could you explain this a little more?

Is there some particular reason why airline pilots die early? That seems strange. Most of the ones I see (anecdotal) don't seem particularly fat, and I can't imagine what else would make them particularly susceptible to early mortality compared to the average American lifestyle.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Is there some particular reason why airline pilots die early? That seems strange. Most of the ones I see (anecdotal) don't seem particularly fat, and I can't imagine what else would make them particularly susceptible to early mortality compared to the average American lifestyle.

pretty sure it's because being in the sky all the time exposes you to much more cosmic radiation which significantly increases your cancer risk

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Nothing should change, but as someone who went through something similar:

1. Continue to max our your 401k/Backdoor Roths individually
2. See if your employer has options for additional tax free savings in 457 accounts available. These become a nice option for shielding money from taxes (at least temporarily) at your highest marginal rate (37% potentially).
3. Make sure your withholdings take into account both of your salaries so you're not bitterly watching the IRS take $$$$ from your account on April 15th due to underwitholding.

I'm interested in point 3 there. Are you saying her income will affect my taxes and vice versa?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

I think mortality rates associated with any road warrior lifestyle are pretty bad. Lots of sitting, bad sleep, family and personal issues, unhealthy food.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Big Jesus posted:

I'm interested in point 3 there. Are you saying her income will affect my taxes and vice versa?

Yes, because of how our tax system is set up with progressive brackets. Right now, your job is withholding your taxes based on your salary only. When you get married, you need to make sure you're withholding enough in taxes to account for your salary, but also to account for the fact that the income you and your wife make together will be taxed at a higher rate at the top end.

Imagine there are two tax brackets:
Income from 0-100k gets taxed at 10%
Income from 100k gets taxed at 50%.

If both of you make 100k, and your companies only account for making 100k, they'll only withhold 20k in taxes, and not take into account that your total income is 200k, and the additional 100k is taxed at a higher rate.

Does that make sense?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Big Jesus posted:

If you are married filing jointly, it’s no longer “my taxes” but “our income and our taxes.”

You should be okay if you fill out the new W-4 form and check the married filing jointly box, but in 2018 the IRS reduced the W-4 withholding amounts to sync up with the new tax law. This ended up in a good chunk of people under withholding taxes and having to pay more at tax time, even though those some W-3 withholding elections had gotten them a refund in years past. If you fill out the new form and input your wife’s salary information, the withholdings should be correct and you won’t get sticker shock on April 15th.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Residency Evil posted:

Yes, because of how our tax system is set up with progressive brackets. Right now, your job is withholding your taxes based on your salary only. When you get married, you need to make sure you're withholding enough in taxes to account for your salary, but also to account for the fact that the income you and your wife make together will be taxed at a higher rate at the top end.

Imagine there are two tax brackets:
Income from 0-100k gets taxed at 10%
Income from 100k gets taxed at 50%.

If both of you make 100k, and your companies only account for making 100k, they'll only withhold 20k in taxes, and not take into account that your total income is 200k, and the additional 100k is taxed at a higher rate.

Does that make sense?

That's not quite how it works, because married filing jointly scales (mostly), so while I know you're using huge swings in brackets to illustrate a point, it's still assuming that both of you will be evaluated as a single person, not married jointly.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/16/upshot/marriage-penalty-couples-income.html

This NY Times chart is outdated (2015) and doesn't reflect current brackets, but this illustrates the point better. There can be benefits, or penalties, depending on if you are married filing jointly, or if you had stayed single. It gets worse the more income both of you earn unfortunately, and stops scaling on a 1:1 basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Noah posted:

That's not quite how it works, because married filing jointly scales (mostly), so while I know you're using huge swings in brackets to illustrate a point, it's still assuming that both of you will be evaluated as a single person, not married jointly.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/16/upshot/marriage-penalty-couples-income.html

This NY Times chart is outdated (2015) and doesn't reflect current brackets, but this illustrates the point better. There can be benefits, or penalties, depending on if you are married filing jointly, or if you had stayed single. It gets worse the more income both of you earn unfortunately, and stops scaling on a 1:1 basis.

Well, yeah, but maybe leave the complexities out of "my first lesson on taxes?"