Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Some people see time limits as an evil force chopping off their freedom, while others see restrictions as the crucial pruning to better shape the rose bush of creativity. I tend to get unfocused without some guardrails, but then again the last time I played Rune Factory I cancelled all the holidays because they were interrupting my farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only bad thing about the time limits was they didn't have new art for the characters as they age

The CGs that only appear late in the game make them look older (it's especially obvious with Meruru and Ayesha) but other than that they just look 13-15 for five straight years

I'm a big fan of the gameplay of the time limits

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I'm definitely interested in checking out how the gameplay feels with a bit more pressure to not just craft for 20 hours until I have 999 quality everything with absurd stats--which I still enjoyed, but I am exactly That Gamer. I'm sure I'll enjoy the time limit, too, though I can immediately imagine how that difference will feel.

I already have Lydie and Suelle downloaded and plan to start it after I finish this one. Absolutely blows my mind how much this series seems to be Extremely My poo poo.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I liked time limit in Ayesha, it felt like it made sense in the story even though the limit was just because mister old and grumpy K said so and nobody else asked why. On the other hand in Escha it was just "here is pile of tasks and here is number of days to do them, go!" and it just was not fun.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Bernardo Orel posted:

I liked time limit in Ayesha, it felt like it made sense in the story even though the limit was just because mister old and grumpy K said so and nobody else asked why.

I mean from what I remember one of the major themes of Ayesha was "Life's not fair. You gonna fuckin cry? Or are you gonna put your big girl pants on and do something about it?" so the arbitrary time limit and threat of having your ability to use alchemy stripped away by this random dude who just happened to wander by does tie in quite well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm starting Meruru on the PS4 and unless I really don't remember how Totori looked it looks really bad, like "upscaled PSP" bad. I could see it being something like the cutscene direction being such you are closer to some of the background models but it's constantly taking me out of scenes in a way Totori never did.

I also need to know, do the Dusk games have any semblance of overall QOL upgrades over Arland? Like say, a backlog button? A common problem I encountered in Totori, which happened immediately in Meruru too, is that it's not terribly hard to exit a battle and accidentally launch the dialogue into fastforward which would be a non-issue if you could read a backlog but at least in Totori/Meruru you can easily miss an entire conversation and then have to reload a save if you want to see it again.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Stroth posted:

I mean from what I remember one of the major themes of Ayesha was "Life's not fair. You gonna fuckin cry? Or are you gonna put your big girl pants on and do something about it?" so the arbitrary time limit and threat of having your ability to use alchemy stripped away by this random dude who just happened to wander by does tie in quite well.

heck even the bad end (which isn't bad as far as this series go) fits in with this too

keith drops by ayesha's workshop with nio in tow, telling her that she had it in her to save nio herself if only she didn't screw around so much, and leaves them to live out their lives in peace while ayesha reflects on how she can improve

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Okay, so who gave this child a pair of guns?

Lydie and Suelle is starting off with a bang and I'm very into it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had a similar reaction in Lulua, where your first party member, a simple, unassuming childhood friend, rocks a fuckin cannon for some reason

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I had a similar reaction in Lulua, where your first party member, a simple, unassuming childhood friend, rocks a fuckin cannon for some reason

that reason is because it's very cool

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s a step up from meruru’s simple, unassuming childhood friend’s weapon, a dumb picnic basket

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

It’s a step up from meruru’s simple, unassuming childhood friend’s weapon, a dumb picnic basket

full of chloroform which she throws at monsters

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Jay Rust posted:

cheetah7071 posted:

that reason is because it's very cool

Makes sense to me. That loving rules, I legit had to stop what I was watching on another screen when I went into the first battle and saw the guns, I just couldn't process it.

The early combat is noticeably harder than it ever was in Ryza--probably because I can't basically infinitely use OP items I make--and I really appreciate that. I'm playing on Hard, so I'm sure that has to do with it, but I have to pick and choose what I attack and how I react to it which isn't something I literally ever thought about in Ryza's hard difficulty--I died exactly one time in the 65 hour playthrough and generally finished fights in one action, so this is refreshing.

Edit: Oh, actually, does this game actually have a time limit? I assume it does since the passage of time is really pronounced but the only indication I've seen involves requests expiring after a certain amount of days.

The threat of time running out has me actually paying attention to the quality of things I pick up before I leave a gathering area, and I don't know if that's something I'd do if I had unlimited time.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 7, 2021

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Sab Sabbington posted:

Okay, so who gave this child a pair of guns?

Lydie and Suelle is starting off with a bang and I'm very into it.

enjoy your angry ADHD dual gun wielding teenager

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

iirc there is one very specific story event in lydie & suelle with a time limit that is very generous

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CYBEReris posted:

iirc there is one very specific story event in lydie & suelle with a time limit that is very generous

Failing it is worth it just to see what happens to the twins.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
The writing in Suelle and Lydie is so far and away better than Ryza it's absurd, and I thought Ryza was, like, fine. These twins just constantly dunk on everyone while Just Doing Their Best, god drat.

Edit: Main thing I legit don't understand is why Very Hard as a difficulty isn't unlocked from the get-go. I'm not even non-stop grinding in this game like Ryza and the combat is trivially easy on Hard, I just want to have to worry about losing darn it.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 8, 2021

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
snl has way more characters while ryza has like

six

edit: and one is a goat

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Gamerofthegame posted:

snl has way more characters while ryza has like

six

edit: and one is a goat

Is it Sue because she's loving amazing. I love when that when you make the bug net the game's tutorial pop up says something like "Sue is very afraid of insects, you can make her use the bug net, but it would be very mean."

Can someone give me a brief primer on which characters are returning from the previous games in the trilogy?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sab Sabbington posted:

Is it Sue because she's loving amazing. I love when that when you make the bug net the game's tutorial pop up says something like "Sue is very afraid of insects, you can make her use the bug net, but it would be very mean."

Can someone give me a brief primer on which characters are returning from the previous games in the trilogy?

Off the top of my head, the returning characters are:

Firis, Liane, Ilmeria, Sophie, Plachta, Pamela, Drossel, Fritz, and Corneria

Hagel...sort of. He's a recurring character in the franchise going back to the very beginning but he isn't in the other two Mysterious games.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Off the top of my head, the returning characters are:

Firis, Liane, Ilmeria, Sophie, Plachta, Pamela, Drossel, Fritz, and Corneria

Hagel...sort of. He's a recurring character in the franchise going back to the very beginning but he isn't in the other two Mysterious games.

While it's sort of a spoiler it's one the game doesn't really want to hide at all but Alt is also a returning character

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I really like the soundtrack in L&S. The painting worlds have a more artificial, electronic sound that makes for a fun contrast with the more natural sounds common in the series. And it’s a super neat gimmick that Lydie and Sue get slightly different arrangements of the same songs.

The soundtrack is also terrifyingly enormous so there’s a lot of variety.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Goddamnit people making me go replay L&S I got other games ya know?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Wow I had totally forgotten what a worthless shitbag their dad was.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Dummydaddy

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The eShop will be pulling money out of accounts for North American Ryza 2 preorders starting on the 19th

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1340018316119699456

Digital copies get a hat
Physical copies get a Puni t-shirt DLC that was Gust online store exclusive in Japan
Season Pass has an Atelier Sophie costume.
Digital Deluxe (DDX) version has the ability to visit Kurken Island gathering areas and some other little trinkets.
Ulitmate Edition comes with DDX and Season Pass. The 109.99 price is cheaper than buying everything later.
Buying any edition early allows claiming a summer outfit variant where the characters take off their jackets.
The Premium Box / Limited Edition comes with early access to a different Ryza costume.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The t-shirt is in-game, right? No actual puni t-shirt?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yes it's just an in game item.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They do make them but that's the Japanese "hand us a blank check" edition.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
... how blank are we talking?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's like 40000 yen to get everything for any Atelier Game

https://gustshop.com/products/detail/6031

Tshirt is 6925 yen

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Does anyone know if there is anything you get for having a Ryza 1 save file? I played the first one on PS4 and I would like to play this one on Switch. Whatever it is probably wouldn't be worth it but I am curious anyway.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Prior save data rewards I think is just a costume set of the default costumes from the original game for the characters that were in it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just beat what I think is the main quest for Atelier Ayesha I freed Nio and she can join the party. I have about a year left on the clock, and have a handful of tasks still in my notebook I still want to do. Should I just do them on this postgame save, or is there anything I should make sure I do before I beat the game?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I just beat what I think is the main quest for Atelier Ayesha I freed Nio and she can join the party. I have about a year left on the clock, and have a handful of tasks still in my notebook I still want to do. Should I just do them on this postgame save, or is there anything I should make sure I do before I beat the game?

what you have left are a bunch of events you can do with any of the party members (or other friends like fred or marietta or tanya); completing these storylines will open up more endings available once the clock runs out*

*i'll note that you'll have to have done most of keith's events before completing the main quest, or else his ending won't be available

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also do make sure to actually use ~~Nio~~ in combat, their special is quite amusing.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
The twins are great. I loved them in general but once I read the encyclopedia entry on Nectar Fruit, Suelle secured her place as the favorite.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Cheetah7071 made a post about Atelier in the Best games of all time thread and it got me intrigued, so now I just downloaded Atelier Rorona on my Playstation Vita™.

I'm gonna finish up Origami King on the Switch first, but then I'm diving in.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

That’s a good starting point. I hope you have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Vita?! In 2020?