Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

drat, thanks for the advice anyway, :rip: my dreams of a slightly earlier dinner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I was wanting to make a chili tomorrow with dried beans and chuck roast but I'm having trouble workshopping the timing on that because the beans take fantastically longer than the chuck roast and I'm not sure at what point I should stop cooking beans and drop in the seared beef and restart cooking, especially with the super long natural release. I technically have the necessary time to do it on the stove, but this seems lazier.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Internet Explorer posted:

It seems to work fine to me. What doesn't work about it?

No idea. It was just in a bunch of reviews.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

No idea. It was just in a bunch of reviews.

I saw a review of it a few days ago where they said the souvide function didn't work well. Some of the comments said that you have to hear the water first before doing the souvide function. Makes sense to me.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So I was wanting to make a chili tomorrow with dried beans and chuck roast but I'm having trouble workshopping the timing on that because the beans take fantastically longer than the chuck roast and I'm not sure at what point I should stop cooking beans and drop in the seared beef and restart cooking, especially with the super long natural release. I technically have the necessary time to do it on the stove, but this seems lazier.

I generally pre-soak the beans and throw them in with the meat. Never managed to find a timing that doesn't turn the beans into mush when I pressurize them twice.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

just make it in two steps, beans first and put them aside while you cook the meat. add them back in after the meat is done and let them simmer a little bit.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

buy another instant pot and make them at the same time, is the pro-move

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I do it all I one, as I did in my Chili recipe for the ICSA, though I'm on mobile so can't link it. 45 mins all in.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Aramoro posted:

I do it all I one, as I did in my Chili recipe for the ICSA, though I'm on mobile so can't link it. 45 mins all in.

Here's the link:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3945862&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post509351384

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
how much better is a stovetop kuhn rikon than an instantpot

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

barkbell posted:

how much better is a stovetop kuhn rikon than an instantpot

What aspects do you most care about? I’d argue that the instant pot is significantly better unless you want to do something very specific.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cheers dude.

I've never used an Instant Pot but I like the stove top as it's also just a massive pan for when I want one of those.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'd also wondered about a big Kuhn Rikon as compared to my existing medium Tefal stovetop pan. I'm sticking to stovetop pans but I don't know if it's worth the extra cash - what I care about is volume, ease of setting the pressure (the Tefal one I have just has release/medium/high on a valve), and ability to get replacement gaskets.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Arcsech posted:

What aspects do you most care about? I’d argue that the instant pot is significantly better unless you want to do something very specific.

dont the stovetop ones achieve much higher pressure

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have, and use, both. The instant pot gets more use just because its "dump in ingredients, press button" simple. The stovetop one I mainly use for risotto just because it makes quicker work of it. Really, for anything that gets a less than 20 minute cook, the stovetop model is superior because it heats up much more quickly, and I can do a quick release by running it under water. I can also sear in it (legit searing, not the instant pot "sear" which means sizzle a little bit). And monitoring the temp on the stove for short cooks is less of an hassle. But for pork butt, or dried beans or the like, the convenience of the instant pot takes priority. With the big instant pot, it's easy to say "well this will only take 30 minutes" (because that's the cook time) when in reality you might have 20 minutes if it getting up to pressure, then a few more at the end when it's spewing steam everywhere for a "quick" release. A stovetop model on a big gas burner can get to pressure in just a few minutes, and releasing pressure is also a lot quicker.

I hope this helps, but I suspect it doesn't.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

barkbell posted:

dont the stovetop ones achieve much higher pressure

They get somewhat higher pressure, but I don’t know of anything that enables you to do that you can’t do with an electric, and the electric requires zero babysitting. So yeah, stovetop ones cook like 20% or so faster, but that’s about it as far as I know.

Unless you’re talking about pressure canners, which is a whole other thing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Arcsech posted:

They get somewhat higher pressure, but I don’t know of anything that enables you to do that you can’t do with an electric, and the electric requires zero babysitting. So yeah, stovetop ones cook like 20% or so faster, but that’s about it as far as I know.

Unless you’re talking about pressure canners, which is a whole other thing.

yeah this, stovetop is a lot quicker to get to temp if you have a good range, a couple more psi (which you'd mostly never notice), and you can really properly sear in it.

the trade off is that you need to be around while it's on and it takes some fiddling to get it to the right steady pressure and you can't just leave it and have it turn off on its own. the convenience of not having to worry about any of that stuff usually makes it worth it to use the electric one instead (and i'll just sear things that need to be seared in a separate pan)

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 15, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have an induction hob so my stovetop gets to pressure really quickly and let's me set the temperature really well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you can also instantly depressurize a stovetop by taking it to the sink and running water over it.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I made these instant pot short ribs (45 minutes of pressure cooking) and highly recommend them. I couldn’t get them plated without them falling off the bone. Used Maker’s for the bourbon.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I made these instant pot short ribs (45 minutes of pressure cooking) and highly recommend them. I couldn’t get them plated without them falling off the bone. Used Maker’s for the bourbon.

Are they very bourbon-y? Not a huge fan of bourbon.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I've made that exact recipe before and didn't notice the bourbon taste. Substituting it for wine to deglaze should be fine I'd think.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
mmm short ribs! I have made a similar recipe but I use red wine, apple juice, broth or any available liquid to deglaze. even water works. no rules!!!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Pressure cooker blew up coworker :stonk:

Apparently the floating pin shot out of his instant pot while it was at pressure :stonklol:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Are you asking us for advice?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are you asking us for advice?

Nope, just a warning

Though I did make a thread favorite this week

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I made this two nights ago and I haven't stopped thinking about it since

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/pressure-cooker-dakbokkeumtang-korean-spicy-chicken-stew/

I only had boneless, skinless chicken thighs available which stuck a little bit to the bottom of the IP while I was searing and resulted in a burn error while it was coming to pressure. A few scrapes of the bottom and another quarter cup of water or so later, it pressurized and came out incredible. The kimchi jigae recipe from the same lady is equally tasty and simple.

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/instant-pot-kimchi-jjigae-stew/

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Oh wow, thanks for the reminder -- it's been a long while since I made that.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I made osso bucco the other day, and the result/effort ratio on this recipe is just insane. Legitimately one of the best meals I've ever eaten, let alone cooked.

I've also come to the conclusion that my dislike of doing additional dishes is outweighed by my desire to actually get a decent sear on things. The built-in sauté function just seems like a joke at this point.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I can't believe I just found out you can use the yogurt function to proof bread.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

I can't believe I just found out you can use the yogurt function to proof bread.

Wait what, you can? Any special method or just turn it on and wait?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rooted Vegetable posted:

i assume it's the second yogurt function -- the first pasteurizes milk, then you press it again after you've cooled it down and it'll hold it around 110 degrees for as many hours as you tell it to

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Nestharken posted:

I made osso bucco the other day, and the result/effort ratio on this recipe is just insane. Legitimately one of the best meals I've ever eaten, let alone cooked.

I've also come to the conclusion that my dislike of doing additional dishes is outweighed by my desire to actually get a decent sear on things. The built-in sauté function just seems like a joke at this point.

Man, that looks good.

The one problem with my bigass stovetop pressure cooker is that recipes like that don't always have enough liquid for it. Maybe I need a second, smaller cooker.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Rooted Vegetable posted:

leave the lid off and press yogurt? No idea what cycle as I don't make yogurt.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

You'll want the display to say YOG or YGT or whatever, the other one is BOIL and, yeah, boiled bread doesn't sound appetizing..

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Johnny Truant posted:

You'll want the display to say YOG or YGT or whatever, the other one is BOIL and, yeah, boiled bread doesn't sound appetizing..

You just insulted 500 years of English cookery.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

gently caress, I forgot about bagels. Exception to the rule.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’m craving something with potatoes, variety of veggies and some sort of beef to cook in my Instapot (the thing is rarely used). An all I n one meal you will... I don’t eat beef a lot. Any suggestions as to what I can start off with?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Stew or pot roast would fit the bill - you'd only want to cook root veg with the beef for pot roast but there's no reason you couldn't add some mixed veg in at the end and cook them with saute/residual heat. Green beans would be nice with pot roast.

Here's a random recipe but I find Amy and Jacky to be pretty reliable, if a touch too twee and earnest

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-pot-roast/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

angerbeet posted:

Stew or pot roast would fit the bill - you'd only want to cook root veg with the beef for pot roast but there's no reason you couldn't add some mixed veg in at the end and cook them with saute/residual heat. Green beans would be nice with pot roast.

Here's a random recipe but I find Amy and Jacky to be pretty reliable, if a touch too twee and earnest

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-pot-roast/

Yeah, they are very twee, but any recipe or method I've used from them has worked awesome.

I really like the stew recipe: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-beef-stew/