Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

That feels similar to an argument that buying a winning lottery ticket is free profit. Do as you will, though!

Navigator
Regarding the "Restore Influence" proposition, my Family could not reach a consensus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

C... posted:

Not a great deal for Daucus, as I see it.

Abstain: Gain 2-3 power
Nay: Lose 1 power, gain 1 coin.

Given the exchange rate has been 1-2 coins per 1 power..

Apologies for the lack of fluff, phone posting: A Nay benefits them, because it removes a few points of influence from any Greedy/Extremist/Opportunist houses, which I'm pretty sure they are not. Those are the ones voting Aye, for those reasons.

A Rebel (Mother help us all) would want high stability to depose our beloved King, Opulent and Moderate want that wealth up.

The coin is to sweeten the pot (just a little bit, admittedly. We're the second poorest house).

I'd like to hear more on this debate, and our offers, from House Pinchay. Speak, noblemen. The future of a poor woman the kingdom and some kind of probably fake map is at stake.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Senator

Having considered the options thus far, while I suggested Nay because of purely business reasons, I realize that our kingdom's stability is teetering dangerously close to giving powerful factions an opportunity to depose his highness. Good as it may be to rescue our plummeting Wealth, it would place us in a precarious position where another net gain may "accidentally" tip his majesty over the castle walls one day.

Therefore, for the sake of maintaining balance, we must temporarily sacrifice Wealth and guide Stability back towards the center. My recommendation is, therefore, Aye. Though the ultimate decision lays in our Councilmember's hands, of course.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

[ooc]
What's the reason the king abdicates at maximum stability? We soft coup him/her out because we're doing a fantastic job already?

E: lore reason, the gameplay reason is self-evident

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Omobono posted:

[ooc]
What's the reason the king abdicates at maximum stability? We soft coup him/her out because we're doing a fantastic job already?

I would assume things are so stable there are no more dilemmas :v:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Omobono posted:

[ooc]

Excess stability means the king's 'allies' are capable of replacing the king because they don't have any fires to put out.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
High Stability is the various factions of the realm being powerful enough to overpower the crown and depose the King, instead of a Low Stability abdication where the kingdom is in enough uproar and disrepair that the King is killed/deposed/flees.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yeah, as said if stability reaches the top it means that some of the king's allies are now powerful enough to say "I'm going to be the new king now, thanks".

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shogeton posted:

Councilmember and Treasurer

I can understand that House Daucus is considering passing, but could I interest you in getting involved in this discussion anyway. if both of us stay at the sidelines and consolidate power, we'll both recover less, and the other Houses can get away with investing but a little bit.

I offer 1 coin to House Daucus to offer at least 1 power to Nay

You could recover next turn. And you could even get paid for it!

Counteroffer: I offer 4 coins to House Cyfoeth to vote Nay with 4 power.

C... posted:

That feels similar to an argument that buying a winning lottery ticket is free profit. Do as you will, though!

Navigator
Regarding the "Restore Influence" proposition, my Family could not reach a consensus.

Pity. If you have a counteroffer, we're always ready to entertain it.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 14, 2021

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Always willing to be overruled by backbenchers, but that would leave us VERY limited in options for the next troubles that show up. And in the situation that the Aye's overrule us, that means the other houses are pretty likely to be drained of their power, and are likely to be recovering power as well, reducing our ability to do that next turn. So not inclined to go with that.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Blastinus posted:

Senator

Having considered the options thus far, while I suggested Nay because of purely business reasons, I realize that our kingdom's stability is teetering dangerously close to giving powerful factions an opportunity to depose his highness. Good as it may be to rescue our plummeting Wealth, it would place us in a precarious position where another net gain may "accidentally" tip his majesty over the castle walls one day.

Therefore, for the sake of maintaining balance, we must temporarily sacrifice Wealth and guide Stability back towards the center. My recommendation is, therefore, Aye. Though the ultimate decision lays in our Councilmember's hands, of course.

What a fascinating insight - that we must be careful to stop things going completely terribly and completely well in our Kingdom. Thank you for sharing this view.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator

I'm glad it has taken us until at least the third dilemma of His Majesty's reign for us to open up the philosophical can of worms that is our competing duties to the King, and separately the Kingdom and the nature of our fiduciary responsibilities for being His Majesty's council.

I trust my esteemed Councilmember to make a just and prudent decision regarding our house's action on this dilemma considering the offer from House Daucus I'd be inclined to agree with your rejection of current terms. While a 1:1 exchange rate for coin to power may be appropriate in some settings requesting the entirety of influence available suggests high demand, and consequently a much higher price.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Consider what happened last Dilemma; House Daucus accepted House Cyfoeth's 'coalition-building' deal at a 1:1 power:coins ratio (leaving us both in the situation we find ourselves now). It seemed only fair we return the favor.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

As any merchant will tell you, supply and demand will influence the prices. And with a bid of bad luck, we end up with next session with no power to spend, and preciously little to gain.

As a counter counter offer, I'd repeat the 3 coins from house Cyfoeth for 2 nay vote from earlier. Which would still leave you with 4 power, still enough to get involved in politics, and ONLY if you actually WIN the vote, which is unlikely, considering there's several houses that seem intent on voting yes. You'd mostly be forcing them to commit more power, which would increase the pot to regain next dilemma.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Bargaining aside, a friendly reminder to everyone who has not sent their vote already (or if they have done so yesterday and have not heard from me after I've accidentally deleted my pm inbox today) that the deadline is at 12noon GMT/UTC tomorrow, or in 13h more or less :)

As always this is not meant to rush you, I'm just sending this before I log out for the day since I won't be able to remind you of this later.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 14, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shogeton posted:

As any merchant will tell you, supply and demand will influence the prices. And with a bid of bad luck, we end up with next session with no power to spend, and preciously little to gain.

As a counter counter offer, I'd repeat the 3 coins from house Cyfoeth for 2 nay vote from earlier. Which would still leave you with 4 power, still enough to get involved in politics, and ONLY if you actually WIN the vote, which is unlikely, considering there's several houses that seem intent on voting yes. You'd mostly be forcing them to commit more power, which would increase the pot to regain next dilemma.

I can't accept that decision - and seriously, I think we're kind of at an impasse. How about we act on our own inclinations right now (which, if things are as I predict, will be moderately beneficial to both of us) and resume negotiations and/or coalition-building next time a Dilemma faces us?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I much prefer building coalitions where the partner doesn't want to leave us with zero power, so yes, let's try again next round.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[OOC] OK, so... can we have a sidebar for a second?

I think there's an aspect of the game rules that need clarification and/or alteration. Preferably alteration. To wit:

The Case for Allowing Private Chat Related to Bargaining

Basically, right now, the rule as I read it practically forbids discussion related to bargaining in sheets. This hurts a house's ability to respond to bargains, as often the reasoning of why to agree or disagree with a proposed bargain from another house would cause deleterious effects if it was revealed publicly.

To use an example:

Consider Dilemma 2 for a second. House Cyfoeth had proposed that to any house that was prepared to jump in on Aye with them, they would pay 1 Coin. Now, I thought it was a good idea, publicly.

What I didn't say was that it was ideally a good idea if some other house took it. So we were really in a three-way game of chicken with Houses Gambol and Pinchay.

Now, if I had said that out loud, Houses Gambol and/or Pinchay would have likely acted adversarially and said "Yeah, no, we're not getting involved". So there being a three-way game of chicken only worked when it wasn't formally stated out loud.

Of course, in terms of what actually happened, I was not able to communicate to TravelLog that they should not take that deal [except maybe at the very last minute], so they (and House Daucus) blinked first, putting us into the position we're in with this Dilemma.

So it's like a three-legged race, but it's worse - in a three-legged race, you can at least kind of see where your partner's going and work with them. Here, it's like a blindfolded three-legged race - you have to guess what your partner's doing without them saying it, or risk falling over. And as someone who fell over last round, it's not fun.

So: I propose that discussion around bargains - why and how to agree with them (or not) and what sort of counteroffers to propose - be allowed to be talked about in the Google sheet.

Finally, if you need any more convincing, let me throw this into the pot: it's possible House Gambol is already doing this. Observe how, in response to my proposal of a complex payment-for-future-vote deal, they said, "House Gambol, check the sheet", and came back saying, "Sorry, we couldn't decide."

I only ask that we are allowed to have the same thing they're already doing.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
(Also OOC)

I think it makes sense for people from the same House to put their heads together concerning deals, because ultimately, the people who aren't the Treasurer can only suggest deals. Nothing they say is actually binding, so at least from my perspective, I keep wondering whether I should actually jump in on anything a Senator proposes, because who even knows if the Treasurer will agree with what their Senators are offering? And similarly, if I say that I like a proposal, what if my Treasurer isn't onboard and I'm signing us up for a deal that can't be enforced?

While obviously the actual discussion over whether to vote Aye or Nay should be out in the open, the nature of deals means that it's easy to get lost in complex proposals or suggestions for alternative proposals. Like, I've been reading this thread from top to bottom and I still have no clue who's offering what to whom. It'd be a lot easier for everyone to debate on it in their own houses and then deliver one final verdict as a group.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

TIG also said, at the time when Gambol would have been conferring, nobody's crossed the line yet wrt discussion, so what Gambol is likely doing should be ok.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sighence posted:

TIG also said, at the time when Gambol would have been conferring, nobody's crossed the line yet wrt discussion, so what Gambol is likely doing should be ok.

Sure, but the ambiguity only hurts everyone in this case. I want to hear a determination - a ruling.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sighence posted:

I much prefer building coalitions where the partner doesn't want to leave us with zero power, so yes, let's try again next round.

BTW, sorry for the double post, but I wanted to respond to this IC:

We really did assume you wouldn't be left with 0 power. We assumed it would drive up the price of an 'Aye' and you could gather power next round. But we think it's more important for us to have free action this round so we can be ready to go next round if necessary.

I'm sorry.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Quackles posted:

Sure, but the ambiguity only hurts everyone in this case. I want to hear a determination - a ruling.

Feel free to discuss bargaining strategies in the Sheets, although only internal discussion should be private - bargaining with other Houses should always happen itt since that's the way it works in the tabletop as well. That said, if you are at the same time taking a stance on your voting recommendation, you should make it public at the same time, if you haven't done so already (so you can't say "we should vote Aye" itt, then say "actually we should Pass and convince someone else to vote Aye through bargains" in the Sheet).

In your example, it's ok to say "this is a good deal" because that doesn't directly say "we should vote X"; and you could use the Sheet to explain why it's a good deal if someone else take it. You can be coy when talking about agreements/bargaining, as long as you don't use that to mask your voting public intention.

Update soon!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 15, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That Italian Guy posted:

Feel free to discuss bargaining strategies in the Sheets, although only internal discussion should be private - bargaining with other Houses should always happen itt since that's the way it works in the tabletop as well. That said, if you are at the same time taking a stance on your voting recommendation, you should make it public at the same time, if you haven't done so already (so you can't say "we should vote Aye" itt, then say "actually we should Pass and convince someone else to vote Aye through bargains" in the Sheet).

In your example, it's ok to say "this is a good deal" because that doesn't directly say "we should vote X"; and you could use the Sheet to explain why it's a good deal if someone else take it. You can be coy when talking about agreements/bargaining, as long as you don't use that to mask your voting public intention.

Update soon!

Sounds good. Thank you! :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reign of King Harald V, Dilemma 3, Resolution

Vote Results posted:

Votes Aye, spends 1 Power(s), gains 0 Coin(s).

Votes Aye, spends 2 Power(s), gains 0 Coin(s).

Votes Pass and gather Power, gains 3 Power(s), gains 1 Coin(s).

Votes Pass and gather Power, gains 3 Power(s), gains 1 Coin(s).

Votes Aye, spends 3 Power(s), gains 0 Coin(s).

The Ayes have it!
A decisive victory for the Ayes and a clear declaration that slavery has no place in Ankist. House Lethe has been the most vocal about this decision, so it comes to no surprise that everyone in the Kingdom is thinking that they are resposible for it.

Vote Outcome posted:

As mentioned before, from time to time there will be a (minor) change in resources that are not listed on the front of the card.

Envelope opened: 40

There is no mechanical benefit tied to signing this card, but I'm sure House Lethe is happy to see a servant of the Mother freed from her chains even if she is a foreigner and is talking about ancient myths. We have also added 3 more Dilemmas to the deck.

Resources and Stability change:

Morale was on white, so it actually got to move 2 spaces, somewhat balancing the -4 Wealth change.

Chronicle stickers:

And we have our first Chronicle Sticker. Influence represents not only our military prowess, but also our "political capital" so to speak; in this case, we have created some kind of diplomatic incident and not everyone is happy about it. This means that, as long as this Sticker is around, people will remember the unpopular decision, reducing House Lethe's starting Power during the following king(s)'s reign and changing the starting position on the tracker for Influence. As long as this is the most recent sticker affecting Influence at the start of the following king(s)'s reign, House Lethe will also receive a Negative Open Agenda - that will cost them Agenda Points at the end of the reign if Influence is the last or second to last Resource on the tracker.

To get rid of a Sticker, you will have to fill the row it currently sits in; at that point, the oldest sticker gets overwritten (and the decision leaves the collective memory); to avoid the Negative Agenda, you just need to have another more recent sticker present in the same row (people's attention tends to be focused on the latest gossip).

Just in case there was any doubt, these are all Legacy things - the Chronicle Sticker has no immediate mechanical effect until the start of the next king's reign.

History of the World posted:

At the present time, Ankist is one of the strongest and largest kingdoms in the world, and has enjoyed several decades of peace. But less than two centuries ago it was divided into many small kingdoms and raider tribes. Little is known about what happened before this age of fragmentation, but what we know for sure is that the lands of the current Kingdom of Ankist, as well as most of the other known lands, were ruled by several lost civilizations throughout the ages. The monumental vestiges they left behind are present in most of the cities of the kingdom.

The Salaan Union (Around 800 years Ago)
All that remains of this great civilization are a few vestiges on the coasts of both the Siar Ocean and the Cheile Sea, such as gigantic lighthouses in ruins or shipyards readapted throughout the centuries and still in use in some cities of the kingdom. Some say that in ancient times their rule spanned over the whole world.

The Sabbiyan League (Around 1100 years Ago)
Older ruins are present across the south of Ankist. Many market squares in the southern cities are built around these structures, and a few obelisks made from sculpted sandstone survived the test of time. The bas-relief scenes represented on these obelisks mainly depict scenes of trade, suggesting that commerce was the main strength of this civilization.

The First King (Around 1400 yeArs Ago)
Historians agree that all of the most ancient and timeworn monasteries of our kingdom (and beyond) were built by Ommad, the legendary First King, a historical yet almost mythical figure. His rule allegedly spanned over the whole world, and even though it ended hundreds of years before our kingdom was even born, our royal family claims to have a direct lineage from him. At the present time, he’s praised more for bringing the Cult of the Mother to our continent and converting the northern pagan tribes than for his considerable military successes. He was so illustrious, that every state claims to be his birthplace.

Mythical History
Some historians suspect there was another forgotten Empire that might have been the cradle of civilization. This belief comes from the many spurious copies of a legendary artifact that has been lost for centuries, called the Golden Map. We’ve been seeking this item for decades to no avail

Reign of King Harald V, Dilemma 4

History of the Kingdom of Ankist posted:

Storyline:

Storyline:

- Sitting Councilmember: Slaan (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: C...
- Treasurer/Navigator: Nea

- Sitting Councilmember: scavy131 (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: Oblivion4568238 (also Treasurer)

- Sitting Councilmember: SporkChan
- Treasurer/Negotiator: Covski

Dilemma4 posted:

Stakes:

:siren::siren::siren:
A 48h voting window is now open!
- Sitting Councilmembers can send me a PM/Email with their final decision. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Treasurers can now start bribing. Please consult the OP if you need a refresher on the rules!
- Senators are free to discuss the Dilemma and provide their feedback. Don't forget that every choice could have consequences that are not spelled out outright on the front of the card! Also, please remember that the thread is the main discussion platform for your vote intention - the Sheet is only to be used when discussing high level strategy, bargaining strategies and items on the sheet itself.
:siren::siren::siren:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 17, 2021

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Senator

Ah well, I guess that's what I get for trying to bid conservatively. Nevertheless, I am at least glad that the majority of the Houses stood strong for the sake of Sera and proved their commitment to the cause of freedom. Additionally, House Gambol is very interested in rumors regarding the Sabbiyan League and shall be paying most close attention to these expeditions in the future.

My initial instinct is to vote to turn swords into scalpels, but that's mainly because i'm curious about what the positive knock on effects from doing so will be. I defer heavily to the opinions of the rest of my House on this one, though.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 15, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Jossar posted:

House Gambol is very interested in rumors regarding the Sabbiyan League.

This reminds me that I forgot to add some more fluff to the post!

History of the World posted:

At the present time, Ankist is one of the strongest and largest kingdoms in the world, and has enjoyed several decades of peace. But less than two centuries ago it was divided into many small kingdoms and raider tribes. Little is known about what happened before this age of fragmentation, but what we know for sure is that the lands of the current Kingdom of Ankist, as well as most of the other known lands, were ruled by several lost civilizations throughout the ages. The monumental vestiges they left behind are present in most of the cities of the kingdom.

The Salaan Union (Around 800 years Ago)
All that remains of this great civilization are a few vestiges on the coasts of both the Siar Ocean and the Cheile Sea, such as gigantic lighthouses in ruins or shipyards readapted throughout the centuries and still in use in some cities of the kingdom. Some say that in ancient times their rule spanned over the whole world.

The Sabbiyan League (Around 1100 years Ago)
Older ruins are present across the south of Ankist. Many market squares in the southern cities are built around these structures, and a few obelisks made from sculpted sandstone survived the test of time. The bas-relief scenes represented on these obelisks mainly depict scenes of trade, suggesting that commerce was the main strength of this civilization.

The First King (Around 1400 yeArs Ago)
Historians agree that all of the most ancient and timeworn monasteries of our kingdom (and beyond) were built by Ommad, the legendary First King, a historical yet almost mythical figure. His rule allegedly spanned over the whole world, and even though it ended hundreds of years before our kingdom was even born, our royal family claims to have a direct lineage from him. At the present time, he’s praised more for bringing the Cult of the Mother to our continent and converting the northern pagan tribes than for his considerable military successes. He was so illustrious, that every state claims to be his birthplace.

Mythical History
Some historians suspect there was another forgotten Empire that might have been the cradle of civilization. This belief comes from the many spurious copies of a legendary artifact that has been lost for centuries, called the Golden Map. We’ve been seeking this item for decades to no avail

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Jossar posted:

Senator

Ah well, I guess that's what I get for trying to bid conservatively. Nevertheless, I am at least glad that the majority of the Houses stood strong for the sake of Sera and proved their commitment to the cause of freedom. Additionally, House Gambol is very interested in rumors regarding the Sabbiyan League and shall be paying most close attention to these expeditions in the future.

My initial instinct is to vote to turn swords into scalpels, but that's mainly because i'm curious about what the positive knock on effects from doing so will be. I defer heavily to the opinions of the rest of my House on this one, though.

Senator
That's the perfect result post facto though. We dodged the negative sticker and the envelope had nothing immediately positive.

I feel we should go for the aye here. Maybe buy the right to the sticker if we're not leaders, but it'd depend on its price.

E: also the nay result is, on average, an extra stability gain because of momentum and we're 8 stability gains from deposing the king with 4 resources in the white. The council should probably sabotage some resource when an occasion comes up.

Not so edge-case: if wealth were to drop again (so at least by 3 considering its current momentum) would stability move by the full theoretical amount or the actual amount capped by the minimum of 1?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 15, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Sitting Councilor

Nobles and others, I do not feel this is a true dilemma. We do not have much red iron to go around. As such, only a few swords for elite military units and the king himself, of course, have swords of red iron. This may shift a battle, but likely does not make an impact strategically. I like pretty uniforms and shiny baubles, as every blue blooded, hard-working member of House Pinchay does, but we must think of the good red iron can do.

Red iron can make many more medical tools than swords, and the experts proclaim that these tools may revolutionize our medical system. Guarding ourselves against plague and injury is a better use of these resources. I suggest we vote aye

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

Not so edge-case: if wealth were to drop again (so at least by 3 considering its current momentum) would stability move by the full theoretical amount or the actual amount capped by the minimum of 1?

If a Resource marker reaches either end of the Resource track, its movement stops, but the Stability marker must still be moved the full number of spaces.

If the Stability marker reaches either end of the Stability Track, on the other hand, the King Abdicates and the end of the game is triggered at the end of the round. The Stability marker, however, does not move any more, even if there are other Resource markers to move.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 15, 2021

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

Reing of King Harald V, Dilemma 3, Resolution

Sorry I didn't notice this sooner, but it should be Reign, not Reing. This typo occurs in every Dilemma post.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

whitehelm posted:

Sorry I didn't notice this sooner, but it should be Reign, not Reing. This typo occurs in every Dilemma post.

Thanks for that! The problem with automation is...if you make a mistake/typo, it's going to be repeated every time (same happened in the Gloomhaven LP with a floating H in the word "Strengthen").

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Senator

While it seems rather counterintuitive to have just agreed to give this wondrous metal to the military only to take it away, the opportunity for medical advancement should not be passed over lightly. To be honest it probably shouldn't be passed over at all. Improving medical tools helps all our citizens, as well as our military.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Senator

"What we do echoes in eternity. These are the words of our House and ones that we live by. Where would man be had not one of our ancestors first experimented and discovered a controllable way of making fire? It is our duty to seek the betterment of humanity, and what better way than to invest in the welfare of our people?"

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

House Cyfoeth, Dukes of Coden

Senator

I don't not much for the topic at hand, because while having a better equipped army would result in less soldiers dead, a better equipped medic can heal those injured much better, so the net result is a benefit for the Kingdom, and it's the duty of a nobleperson to worry about the Kingdom welfare first and foremost. If I had a crossbow to my head and was forced to choose, I'd say that I prefer my butchery civilised and indoors, so our doctors should have it.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Senator

As the news of the soured trade agreements and the lowered respect from the southern lands (along with military movements) reaches the senate floor, the tanned senator jumps to his feet and raises his hands in a nonverbal, "WHAT DID I SAY! I CALLED IT!" With his moment of predictive gloating out of the way, he sat back down and thought of this particular issue.

"I will admit... The idea of putting this to medical use does seem to be a positive. I just worry... We've made enemies now. If we pull this from the military, we're just giving them a chance to step on us... That being said, my fellow senator is right. House Daucus stands by the phrase, 'What We Do Echoes In Eternity.' This is something we do want, despite my hawkish nature..."

C...
Jan 22, 2008

quote:

This is fascinating. One detail is unclear from her story - was she part of a sect of the Mother that was defending a holy relic? Or were they suppressing something they felt was heretical? I'm enthusiastic to learn more, but our interpretation here may determine whether good House Lethe is endorsing or forbidding explorations.

eliasswift posted:

Senator
"I will admit... The idea of putting this to medical use does seem to be a positive. I just worry... We've made enemies now. If we pull this from the military, we're just giving them a chance to step on us... That being said, my fellow senator is right. House Daucus stands by the phrase, 'What We Do Echoes In Eternity.' This is something we do want, despite my hawkish nature..."

Sitting Councilmember

I agree, one moon's turn after snubbing a neighbor is a strange time to not bolster the military. Still, our armed forces are healthy. I am leaning towards a medical renaissance, for the reasons that have been previously stated, but understand that both outcomes have benefits.

Nea my friend, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

eliasswift posted:

Senator

As the news of the soured trade agreements and the lowered respect from the southern lands (along with military movements) reaches the senate floor, the tanned senator jumps to his feet and raises his hands in a nonverbal, "WHAT DID I SAY! I CALLED IT!" With his moment of predictive gloating out of the way, he sat back down and thought of this particular issue.

Jester

The Wheels on the issue go round and round, round and round, round and round. The Wheels on the issue go round and round, all through the Senate.

House Cyfoeth wishes to enrich the kingdom, as ever. Our route has been forced to be intellectual now, but this is still a worthwhile pursuit.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

C... posted:

Sitting Councilmember

I agree, one moon's turn after snubbing a neighbor is a strange time to not bolster the military. Still, our armed forces are healthy. I am leaning towards a medical renaissance, for the reasons that have been previously stated, but understand that both outcomes have benefits.

Nea my friend, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Treasurer/Duchess Nea

I'm of two minds here. I think improving the prowess of our military is a good idea and probably the a good move here. It balances the scales of being, frankly, broke.

On the other hand, there's a positive sticker. And I, Nea, grand duchess of the sea, just really love stickers. Stickers are legacy games, to me.

Also, I think it would be good to be having more medical knowledge. Our kingdom should prosper in more ways than one, and it would be good if we could make that happen.

So I am leaning aye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

A clarification on Momentum following a Sheet discussion since there were doubts: Momentum only influences the current way the Resource is moving and it is NOT reducing a push in the opposite direction.

So, for example, if the outcomes are (made up numbers) either +2 Influence or -2 Influence, this would move the Influence tracker either +4 or -2 right now; any -X would immediately flip the marker to the black side and move it the indicated amount (without any Momentum).