Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nakar posted:

To put on my lawyer hat for a second, this isn't technically a lie. They've been explicit that ownership doesn't transfer across platforms, and so you can't use that statement to mean buying H1/2 on PS4 entitles you to ownership of them on PC.

What they didn't say was that Steam and EGS are not the same platform in the same sense the XBX and PS5 aren't; Stadia is treated differently so that backs this up. You can't say you own Hitman 2 on EGS because you don't own it there, nobody does, because it isn't for sale there.

But they're doing everything they can to make you think otherwise, such as referring to PC editions under one label or allowing transfer of progression from Steam to EGS (which is, legally, the same as allowing transfer from PS4 to Switch, yet you cannot do that).

Is it illegal? Probably not but maybe. Is it unethical? Extremely.

I think I am going with Pirate Jet's interpretation in that IOI were banking on Epic or themselves making a solution for ownership but it did not pan out. I really do not want to think that this is what they had in mind all this time.

Anyway now that I had time to think about it I may cancel my preorder to see how the pricing situation shakes out of PS5 if nothing changes. This just really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

AdmiralViscen posted:

So am I still good to import my disc-based Hitman 2 from PS4 into my disc-based Hitman 3 on PS5? Should I be buying digital Hitman 2 before this sale ends?
You are good, I believe. The only issue is if you try to transfer a disc copy to a non-disc console. Double check the access pass sections of the post for stuff specifically referring to disc editions but if your PS5 can still handle discs then you should be solid.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

orcane posted:

The way you can import Steam versions into another doesn't help because you have to own the games on EGS and this is specifically about the EGS situation (because that's the only place you can get H3 on PC for a while).

What it looks like is that EGS Hitman 3 doesn't import H1 and H2 seperately. It apparently has to pull from H2 so if you don't own that on EGS to "merge" H1 EGS stuff into it, you can't unlock the H1 stuff you do own in H3.

It's a really hosed up situation and very unnecessary (we have no idea whose fault it is, but I'm going to go with EGS because that's the safer bet :v:).

I was only talking about the mastery progression carryover stuff that's tied to IOI accounts, Hitman 2 doesn't exist on EGS at all, you're getting confused by the game ownership thing which is, for some reason known only to IOI and tim sweeney, separate.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Well, all this is complete bullshit. I normally roll my eyes when people whine about the Epic store, but this is indefensible.

My finger is hovering over the refund button. I may wait until release to see how much the Hitman 2 'upgrade pack' or whatever is, but if it's more than like £7 or something then gently caress that. I already paid £70 for the special edition for some stupid reason.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Veotax posted:

Well, all this is complete bullshit. I normally roll my eyes when people whine about the Epic store, but this is indefensible.

My finger is hovering over the refund button. I may wait until release to see how much the Hitman 2 'upgrade pack' or whatever is, but if it's more than like £7 or something then gently caress that. I already paid £70 for the special edition for some stupid reason.

Do it. Refund. You can always buy it again if you change your mind, and a refund now sends a stronger message than random forum/website comments.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

orcane posted:

The way you can import Steam versions into another doesn't help because you have to own the games on EGS and this is specifically about the EGS situation (because that's the only place you can get H3 on PC for a while).

What it looks like is that EGS Hitman 3 doesn't import H1 and H2 seperately. It apparently has to pull from H2 so if you don't own that on EGS to "merge" H1 EGS stuff into it, you can't unlock the H1 stuff you do own in H3.

It's a really hosed up situation and very unnecessary (we have no idea whose fault it is, but I'm going to go with EGS because that's the safer bet :v:).

But also H2 doesn't exist on EGS which is creating this whole situation, so .... I'm really confused on what that "import your H1 into H2 for it to be in H3" thing even means.

This is all waaaaaay too loving complicated to drop on the players 5 days before release. That's insane.

I'm glad I hadn't actually pre-ordered yet. I want to support IOI and I don't even mind EGS, and I'm dying for VR but was willing to buy without a confirmation it would come to PC eventually or not. But this... this is a dealbreaker.

How much are they even going to make off that 80% off H2 sales? Surely they should just give anybody who buys H3 on PC H2 if they can't do any better.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zaphod42 posted:

But also H2 doesn't exist on EGS which is creating this whole situation, so .... I'm really confused on what that "import your H1 into H2 for it to be in H3" thing even means.

This is all waaaaaay too loving complicated to drop on the players 5 days before release. That's insane.

I'm glad I hadn't actually pre-ordered yet. I want to support IOI and I don't even mind EGS, and I'm dying for VR but was willing to buy without a confirmation it would come to PC eventually or not. But this... this is a dealbreaker.

How much are they even going to make off that 80% off H2 sales? Surely they should just give anybody who buys H3 on PC H2 if they can't do any better.

"import your H1 into H2 for it to be in H3" means game progress. The progress conversion is purely H2 -> H3, so if you haven't previously imported progress from H1 -> H2 on Steam, all H1 progress will be blank.

And yeah, they are already giving away the H1 DLC pack for free for a limited time, there's no reason they couldn't do the same with the H2 DLC.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Epic Game Store is ruining PC gaming.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ymgve posted:

"import your H1 into H2 for it to be in H3" means game progress. The progress conversion is purely H2 -> H3, so if you haven't previously imported progress from H1 -> H2 on Steam, all H1 progress will be blank.

And yeah, they are already giving away the H1 DLC pack for free for a limited time, there's no reason they couldn't do the same with the H2 DLC.

You can't import progress from 1 into 2 that was never a thing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

But also H2 doesn't exist on EGS which is creating this whole situation, so ....

H2 doesn't need to exist on EGS, if they can import your H2 progress from Steam they can use that as a license to enable the H2 content as well

They just... don't want to, or Epic won't let them.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

elf help book posted:

You can't import progress from 1 into 2 that was never a thing.

Yeah I guess at this point there’s not actually much reason today to pull H1 into H2 for IOI account stuff, you might as well wait to play the stuff in the H3 engine from the start. But you could play the H1 levels from the start in the H2 engine on steam today without buying h2 if you wanted to and the progress would carry over to h3

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, this is apparently my breaking point. Requested my refund from Greenman. I'll wait to see what happens with Steam, I guess.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
While I do plan to get the game at release, I think I may cancel my preorder out of...solidarity? I am not a fan of GAMERS RISE UP bullshit and I want to believe that IOI were as blindsided as we were but this is not the way to go about it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The dumbest thing is this doesn't even make sense from Epics perspective, they want to pull users away from Steam but this only encourages anyone who owns H2 on Steam to not buy H3 on EGS

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
At least have the balls to tell us what it's going to cost to get the Hitman 2 Gold gently caress You Access Pass so I can decide if I should just cancel my preorder and buy it on PS5.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
greenman already got me my money back at least someone comes out of this looking good, lets go playstation gently caress pc gaming

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the part that's really mindboggling to me is how they managed to gently caress this up so close to release. Were they hoping to announce a different option and only figured out they couldn't do it now? Was that stuff always planned but they chose not to tell anyone? Why (to both)?

Blasmeister posted:

I was only talking about the mastery progression carryover stuff that's tied to IOI accounts, Hitman 2 doesn't exist on EGS at all, you're getting confused by the game ownership thing which is, for some reason known only to IOI and tim sweeney, separate.
Well yeah but the post you quoted and the quoted line in the FAQ talks about the game ownership part. It implies no Hitman 1 ownership import into Hitman 3 on EGS unless you buy Hitman 2 first and import your Hitman 1 content there.

You could import your H1/H2 progress from Steam into H3 on EGS, but you'd be unable to play any of it until you also buy H2 there, even if you already own H1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hitman reddit is in full on meltdown mode

Top 6 posts are all about pc having to re-buy H2 and livid about it

I can only hope IOI sees the massive bad press

Dr Zaius posted:

At least have the balls to tell us what it's going to cost to get the Hitman 2 Gold gently caress You Access Pass so I can decide if I should just cancel my preorder and buy it on PS5.

We're 5 days out and they just drop this on us and we don't even know how much H2 will cost.

Yeah this is loving nuts.

orcane posted:

I think the part that's really mindboggling to me is how they managed to gently caress this up so close to release. Were they hoping to announce a different option and only figured out they couldn't do it now? Was that stuff always planned but they chose not to tell anyone? Why (to both)?

Yeah very reasonable questions.

orcane posted:

Well yeah but the post you quoted and the quoted line in the FAQ talks about the game ownership part. It implies no Hitman 1 ownership import into Hitman 3 on EGS unless you buy Hitman 2 first and import your Hitman 1 content there.

You could import your H1/H2 progress from Steam into H3 on EGS, but you'd be unable to play any of it until you also buy H2 there, even if you already own H1.

Yeah that's exactly what I was saying. It seems really weird and confusing.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

orcane posted:

I'm 100% sure it was epic management saying 'yeah sure no problem' but the one guy they have working on the epic store for 15 mins a day was just told about this today and replied 'no I can't do that' before going back to his lunch break.

Edit: also I'd been going back and forth about buying H3 for the last few days now. Guess this is confirmation just to wait and not give into my impatience.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Just saw the news myself, bye bye preorder on Epic. Guess I'll be waiting.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

orcane posted:

there were all those articles about how they figured out how to compress the first two games like a week ago and now this lol. i think it must be on epic's end

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
So since it carries over progression, what happens with the Mk 2 gear and what not if I don't own the Hitman 2 access pass in 3... what a messy situation!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Just occurred to me that relying on IOI accounts to transfer ownership wouldn't really work since you could buy Hitman 2 on Steam, bind it it your IOI account, then refund it and keep the license

Still falls under "not my problem" though, this mess only exists because they decided to go with Epic so they should figure out a way to make it right (i.e. just give us Hitman 2 for free lol)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Looking like they were unable to work out getting Hitman 2 on the platform in time. Might just switch to the PS5 version then, this sucks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am going to wait and see but if the Hitman 2 pack is like $5-$7 after discount then I will probably get the PC version again. I canceled the preorder for now though because this situation should not have happened, much less a week before release.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

repiv posted:

Just occurred to me that relying on IOI accounts to transfer ownership wouldn't really work since you could buy Hitman 2 on Steam, bind it it your IOI account, then refund it and keep the license

Still falls under "not my problem" though, this mess only exists because they decided to go with Epic so they should figure out a way to make it right (i.e. just give us Hitman 2 for free lol)

Right, software licenses are handled by storefronts and an IOI Account could never solve this problem. Similar to how you could never convince Sony to honor the previous games you bought on your Xbox, the only way to get Epic to honor the purchases you made on Steam would be if Epic agreed of their own accord.

Even here the only way to get the Hitman 1 levels in 3 on the EGS is as a early purchase bonus or if you own the game on EGS already. Giving everyone the Hitman 2 levels for free was likely a bridge too far and I think the internet’s generalized reaction to all this really seems to overestimate how much power IOI had in this decision.

Althar
Jan 9, 2021

Pirate Jet posted:

Giving everyone the Hitman 2 levels for free was likely a bridge too far and I think the internet’s generalized reaction to all this really seems to overestimate how much power IOI had in this decision.

I mean they chose to use Epic, and still say stuff could be transferred. I don’t doubt they’d rather have followed through, but it’s on them not doing their due diligence beforehand. Also, really annoys me they only confirm this 5 days before the game comes out and kind of try to bury the bad news in their message. Not annoyed enough I won’t buy it when it’s on Steam, but annoyed enough I’ll wait a year to avoid spending 5 bucks for content I already own

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arist posted:

Looking like they were unable to work out getting Hitman 2 on the platform in time. Might just switch to the PS5 version then, this sucks.

But the thing is nobody cares about having Hitman 2 on EGS anyways! All we want is to have the Hitman 2 dlc for Hitman 3. Which we were promised.

And that dlc WILL exist on EGS and will work on day-1. They're just gonna charge like $5-20 for it. (we don't even know how much lmao)

The fact that it will work but requires money is what's so hosed. If it was just like "oh poo poo we won't have Hitman 2 ready at launch but it'll be granted later" then hey, whatever. But instead its "Well... because we changed platforms we're going to use that as an excuse to charge you twice for what you already bought"

That's just unreasonable however you slice it. The fact they managed an 80% discount shows they recognize how screwed up this is. But how can they afford a 80% discount but not 100% ? It boggles the mind.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am going to wait and see but if the Hitman 2 pack is like $5-$7 after discount then I will probably get the PC version again. I canceled the preorder for now though because this situation should not have happened, much less a week before release.

That's about where I'm at, but this whole thing has me soured on the game. I was so excited too, I've been doing SASO runs to get back into the groove.

Pirate Jet posted:

Right, software licenses are handled by storefronts and an IOI Account could never solve this problem. Similar to how you could never convince Sony to honor the previous games you bought on your Xbox, the only way to get Epic to honor the purchases you made on Steam would be if Epic agreed of their own accord.

Even here the only way to get the Hitman 1 levels in 3 on the EGS is as a early purchase bonus or if you own the game on EGS already. Giving everyone the Hitman 2 levels for free was likely a bridge too far and I think the internet’s generalized reaction to all this really seems to overestimate how much power IOI had in this decision.

But can't a developer get keys for the game they make? On Steam a developer can generate keys and do giveaways, right? I could be wrong about that but I feel like its true.

If so, there's nothing stopping IOI from just granting a free copy key to everybody they flagged from their IOI accounts, other than the potential lost revenue.

Epic shouldn't really care, unless they don't allow developers to give away keys. I guess I could see them not wanting to support the server bandwidth for games they aren't profiting off, but considering Epic has been throwing money away trying to get people to move off Steam accounts I seriously doubt they'd care.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 16, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The payout they will have got from Epic will habe helped with development, taking the exclusivity deal is a no brainer from their perspective and tbqh Epic really should have got their poo poo together by now, it's not IOI's fault the store is dogshit. Anyway pre-orderimg has always been really stupid so lmao at anyone still doing it in TYOOL 202X. I'll buy the game after it releases in January 2022.

Bad Gandalf
Sep 19, 2010
I got an partial refund for £5 on the deluxe edition pre-order a couple of days ago so I wouldn't be surprised if that was to cover the cost of the Hitman 2 pass

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

They’ve confirmed that the Steam version is coming eventually right? Just gonna wait for that rear end.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Zaphod42 posted:

But the thing is nobody cares about having Hitman 2 on EGS anyways! All we want is to have the Hitman 2 dlc for Hitman 3. Which we were promised.

Okay, I don't/can't play games on my computer so I have nothing to say in this kerfuffle but I'm a bit confused about this particular statement. Does "Hitman 2 DLC" mean the whole game plus the legacy pack and the extra levels, or something else entirely? I guess I was just thrown by seemingly not wanting the full game, just the DLC?

I had nothing to do earlier and was less drunk than when I last posted, so I decided (again) to try and SOSA a few levels with a bit of advice from the Internet. Paris is easy, Sapienza looks look-winded but not too hard. I'm predicting Bangkok and Colorado will make me want to take a sauna in an NHS dumpster.

Althar
Jan 9, 2021

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Does "Hitman 2 DLC" mean the whole game plus the legacy pack and the extra levels, or something else entirely?

Like how you could get the locations and stuff from Hitman 2, you can do the same for console. More or less it’s the whole game, but it’s having the locations imported to the next game.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm honestly glad I'm PS4 all the way through, because being on PC sounds like such a faff.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I wanted Hitman 3, and I'm getting Hitman 3. It sucks the integration isn't going to work how I hoped, but at the end of the day I'll be playing the game I wanted. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dabir posted:

steam waiters win again :smuggo:

Yeah, it sucks that I have to wait a year to play Hitman 3 but this just cements that decision. I don't have to feel bad for IOI either since Epic already paid them up front for the exclusivity, and I can clear some backlog games (and a shitload of Yakuza) and then get it all in a year's time on Steam with hopefully most of the bugs ironed out.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Definitely not gonna wait a year for it on Steam, but this unfortunate inability to deliver on a big promise for one platform stinks big time. I'm for sure going to wait a week or two at least to see if they end up doing something for the blowback of this announcement though, and otherwise wait it out for some other kind of sale. They really should just eat it and give away the H2 dlc access pass or whatever for free on PC if that's the best they can offer, but I'm not holding my breath.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I have a Hitman 2 save from PlayStation Now. I know that PS Plus lets you transfer your saved file if you buy the full version of a game you played on Now. But what if you no longer have Now and buy the full version? Will my saved games be transferable?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Althar posted:

Like how you could get the locations and stuff from Hitman 2, you can do the same for console. More or less it’s the whole game, but it’s having the locations imported to the next game.

Oooh, I think I get it now! Hitman 2 as DLC for Hitman 3, not Hitman 2 as a game all on its own, with or without its own DLC. Very confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Hitman 1 and 2 are DLC for 3, yeah. It's just, in theory, you are supposed to be able to unlock that DLC for free by already owning those games. It works for consoles but not for PC for whatever reason.