Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Thief of Time maybe? Igor has a lot of scenes in that one since the clock being built is a running plotline and Jeremy is a classic mad scientist so that quote would fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SaintFu posted:

I’m trying to figure out which book a quote comes from. At one point Igor says something like “We have a saying in the old country: ‘If you don’t want the monster, you don’t pull the lever.’” I thought it was from Making Money, but I can’t find it in there. Anyone have any idea?

It's from Making Money, yes.

quote:

Hubert looked up at the glittering, trickling pipes of the Glooper, faithfully mirroring in its ebbing and flowing the tides of money around the city.
Just one blow could rattle the world. It was a terrible responsibility.
Igor joined him. They stood in a silence broken only by the sloshing of commerce.
“What shall I do, Igor?” said Hubert.
“In the Old Country we have a thaying,” Igor volunteered.
“A what?”
“A thaying. We thay, ‘If you don’t want the monthter you don’t pull the lever.’”
“You don’t think I’ve gone mad, do you, Igor?”
“Many great men have been conthidered mad, Mr. Hubert. Even Dr. Hanth Forvord wath called mad. But I put it to you: could a madman have created a revolutionary living-brain extractor?”

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

The_Doctor posted:

It's from Making Money, yes.

Awesome. Thanks.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Speaking of which, my books aren't with me so I can't track it down but there's a quote about politics as a game, with the rough phrasing of "players will tolerate you rocking the boat but not smashing the board" or something like that. Does it sound familiar to any of you?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Speaking of which, my books aren't with me so I can't track it down but there's a quote about politics as a game, with the rough phrasing of "players will tolerate you rocking the boat but not smashing the board" or something like that. Does it sound familiar to any of you?

In Night Watch there's a line about the Assassin's Guild: "The Assassins understood the political game in the city better than anyone, and if they took you off the register it was because they felt your departure would not only spoil the game but also smash the board..."

That's all I can think of, though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Khizan posted:

In Night Watch there's a line about the Assassin's Guild: "The Assassins understood the political game in the city better than anyone, and if they took you off the register it was because they felt your departure would not only spoil the game but also smash the board..."

That's all I can think of, though.

Dang, now that I remember this, yeah, I don't think that's the quote. It could be another Night Watch quote though, because now what comes to mind is roughly "something something about the game, you may not be invited back," in reference to Lord Winder. Thanks though!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

toasterwarrior posted:

Dang, now that I remember this, yeah, I don't think that's the quote. It could be another Night Watch quote though, because now what comes to mind is roughly "something something about the game, you may not be invited back," in reference to Lord Winder. Thanks though!

Something like "those who are sore losers may not be allowed back to play again".

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

toasterwarrior posted:

quote:

They'll fall into place, trust me. What else can they do? We're used to this game here. We know that if you complain too loudly when you lose, you might not be asked to play again

In regards to the last few holdouts against Winder's assassination.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, that's it, thanks guys!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm slightly fonder of the Low Queen's explanation of Albrecht Albrechtson and why he approves the fake Scone in The Fifth Elephant

quote:

You have been labouring under a misapprehension; I reckon. You think that because Albrecht dislikes Ankh‐Morpork and has...old-fashioned ideas, he is a bad dwarf. But I have known him for two hundred years. He is honest and honourable...more so than me, that I'm sure of. Five hundred years ago he would have made a fine king. Today, perhaps not. Perhaps...hah...the axe of my ancestors needs a different handle. But now I am King and he accepts that with all his heart because if he did not, he'd think he wasn't a dwarf, see? Of course he will now oppose me at every turn. Being Low King was never an easy job. But, to use one of your metaphors, we are all floating in the same boat. We may certainly try to push one another over the side, but only a maniac like Dee would make a hole in the bottom.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
If there is one silver lining, all this talk of the weird new BBC series has gotten me doing some rereads, and this literary comfort food has helped a hell of a lot these past few stressful weeks. Already did Feet of Clay and Maskarade, and am happily torn on deciding between revisiting Hogfather or The Truth next.

gently caress, the books are still so good. Which makes it all a shame that the show is so....so....whatever the hell it is.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 9, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm slightly fonder of the Low Queen's explanation of Albrecht Albrechtson and why he approves the fake Scone in The Fifth Elephant

lol, so that's where the boat part was from. Yeah I definitely mixed these quotes up in my head a long time ago.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
While we're covering Pratchett lines, what's going on with that bit in Unseen Academicals where everyone is shouting "ho the megapode?" It feels like a reference that I am just not getting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tree Bucket posted:

While we're covering Pratchett lines, what's going on with that bit in Unseen Academicals where everyone is shouting "ho the megapode?" It feels like a reference that I am just not getting.

It's a reference to a bizarre bit of tradition at All Souls, Oxford University, the Mallard Hunt, which takes place every 100 years.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like Vimes' manic energy, but I also liked Christopher Meloni in Happy! and that was essentially the same performance. Come to think of it as a show it owes a lot to Happy! and maybe Doom Patrol.

Sure, it might be fine if, you know, it wasn't the exact opposite of Vimes in every conceivable way.

It's like watching Iron Man, but Tony Stark is a humble man who has never touched a drop of drink and has a wonderful relationship with his living father for absolutely no story-serving reason.

Might be a great energy...if it wasn't an awful portrayal of the character Tony Stark.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Devorum posted:

Sure, it might be fine if, you know, it wasn't the exact opposite of Vimes in every conceivable way.

It's like watching Iron Man, but Tony Stark is a humble man who has never touched a drop of drink and has a wonderful relationship with his living father for absolutely no story-serving reason.

Might be a great energy...if it wasn't an awful portrayal of the character Tony Stark.

"Mom, Dad, a bat just flew in through the window!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Devorum posted:

Hey, I'll have you know that the limited series following Iron Boy (Tony Stark-951239) was an amazing elseworlds story, and manages to be true to the character while still finding its own artistic voice, and yeah I can't keep doing this, comic books are dumb

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not gonna argue that it's a faithful adaptation on any level. I've just not been expecting one for a while either and I still like what the show does. Latest episode was pretty good, clearly defined arc that still moved the season plot along, some decent gags, great design, I really do like the show's look, and a few bits that rip Discworld's most treasured moments from their home and twist them into a blasphemous travesty, all in an episode's work.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

my enjoying this show is really gonna turn on me when it transpires that the Sandman show will have the Endless as a K-Pop group and instead of Rose moving into the spooky house with LGBTQ artists she joins a youtube collective

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

my enjoying this show is really gonna turn on me when it transpires that the Sandman show will have the Endless as a K-Pop group and instead of Rose moving into the spooky house with LGBTQ artists she joins a youtube collective

Oh gently caress you saw the leak too? What did you think about Sandman's goatee and gnome hat?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

not the kind of hat worth having a rap battle with the demon Choronzon for, that's for sure

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

For those not in the know:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cain and Abel as a big and a small pig

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Narsham posted:

The show's Death talks like he's Quoth. How badly do you have to misread the books to confuse those two?

You want some whiplash, try to imagine this Death doing the monologue from Reaper Man.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

You want some whiplash, try to imagine this Death doing the monologue from Reaper Man.

Death, doing a Cheech Marin impression:
“YOU KNOW HOW THEY TALK ABOUT THE CHILL OF THE GRAVE? WHAT WE NEED NOW IS LESS GRAVE AND MORE CHILL.”

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

For those not in the know:

Communist Sandman.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Communist Sandman.

From when the Sandman was cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQf9skkCUz4

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Watched Episode 3 because I hate myself...and I need to know if the Assassin reveal looked like a Gene Parmesan reveal on purpose. If so, amazing...but I don't think the show deserves that much credit.

This episode was better, structurally, but so much worse character wise. The Assassin Guild has been merged with the Clown guild so they all have unique masks.

Also, the Watch forms a literal punk band where they sing We're Certainly Dwarfs songs like they're channeling AFI, The Cure, and Iron Maiden.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Devorum posted:

The Assassin Guild has been merged with the Clown guild so they all have unique masks.

Why does this make me so upset in particular

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

IBroughttheFunk posted:

It's not really "merged" - there's no real association with the Clowns Guild, and its more that they've just replaced the Assassins Guild's drab accountant feel (aside from Inigo Skimmer, who is constantly mocked for being accountant-y) with a weird cult. It's kind of funny in places, but feels like a low-budget What We Do In The Shadows.

Except they also keep the "what kind of idiot would have their guild next to the assasins guild?" line, which feels like the setup for a joke, and its right before a scene change, so you kind of expect it to smash cut to something funny, except the punchline is "musicians, I guess?".

The whole series is really weird like that, like there are scattered remnants of things that used to be parts of a joke, but aren't quite anymore.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
There was a joke here. It's gone now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I finally watched episode 2, and I'll be damned, they really did kill Detritus. To a hail of crossbow bolts, which I thought he was fairly impervious to in the books. :(

I still don't know who the gently caress this was made for. It feels like it's designed to piss off Discworld fans while completely alienating anyone else who stumbles across it. There are, again, so many loving little Discworld references -- Bearhugger's Gin! Vimes gave a terrible speech! The Librarian is a monkey orangutan! -- but the theming and tone and characterization are just so bizarre.

And again, the story is just so damned tantalizing for a Discworld fan -- Carcer and Vimes got into their fight from Night Watch atop the High Energy Magic building 30 or 40 years ago when Vimes was young, and it was only Carcer who fell off into the magic maelstrom. And it sent him to the present day, where we're doing the Guards! Guards! dragon summoning plot except that Carcer and his gang are the ones doing the summoning instead of Wonse and the secret society. They've already introduced a recognizable actor as John Keel, so if this were any other production I would absolutely love to see how they weaved both stories together. As is, it feels like a dreadful missed opportunity.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 13, 2021

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Look, it was nothing personal, just business. The CGI was too costly :v:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I want to know who thought setting a slow motion, poignant death scene (of a character that we hadn't known long enough for it to actually be poignant) to The Pixies' Where Is My Mind was a good idea.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Because half the point of the Assassin's Guild was how they represent crime that's been reduced to bland bureaucracy. They don't wear strange masks, they wear black suits that most people wouldn't be able to tell apart. They think they're interesting and cool and terrifying, but they're really a boring drab ministry office staffed by elitist prigs where the employees occasionally shoot people with a crossbow because evil is mundane.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Just started Shepherd's Crown. Jesus Christ why am I crying so much I put the book down ten minutes ago and they're welling up again as I type this

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Just started Shepherd's Crown. Jesus Christ why am I crying so much I put the book down ten minutes ago and they're welling up again as I type this

Yeah, it's a rough book to get through.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I had to stop because I'm supposed to be working today, but man. I appreciate that Nanny Ogg comes out and says there's no shame in crying for people you've loved. It got me when it first hit me what was happening, then again when Death shows up, then again for that line, and AGAIN for Ridcully weeping. Jesus. And then you close the book and one of the reviewer quotes on the back says that Pratchett belongs alongside Voltaire, Swift, and Vonnegut, but while all those authors are neatly arranged on his bookshelves, his Pratchetts are strewn all over his house full of dogears and scribbles, because Pratchett was part of his life.

RIP Esme Weatherwax, and RIP Terry Pratchett. The world would have been a much darker place without everything you brought to it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Phenotype posted:

I had to stop because I'm supposed to be working today, but man. I appreciate that Nanny Ogg comes out and says there's no shame in crying for people you've loved. It got me when it first hit me what was happening, then again when Death shows up, then again for that line, and AGAIN for Ridcully weeping. Jesus. And then you close the book and one of the reviewer quotes on the back says that Pratchett belongs alongside Voltaire, Swift, and Vonnegut, but while all those authors are neatly arranged on his bookshelves, his Pratchetts are strewn all over his house full of dogears and scribbles, because Pratchett was part of his life.

RIP Esme Weatherwax, and RIP Terry Pratchett. The world would have been a much darker place without everything you brought to it.

Man now I’m crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I had to take a break when I realized what was going to happen to Esme Weatherwax