Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjewtsu posted:

What are some good puzzle or rhythm games that are 2 player, online, and can run on a toaster?

I really enjoyed Wyv and Keep but I'm not sure if the multiplayer is currently functional; they had some problems with that in development, and I'm not sure the game ever took off enough for the servers to stay up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So the person I'm playing with has an "hp stream" laptop which is a very weak machine, but they do also have a ps4 so PC-ps4 crossplay is also an option

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really enjoyed Wyv and Keep but I'm not sure if the multiplayer is currently functional; they had some problems with that in development, and I'm not sure the game ever took off enough for the servers to stay up.

I'll take a look into this! If anyone can confirm is the online multiplayer works or not thatd be great too

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Are there any modern games like Dungeon Master?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Head Bee Guy posted:

I haven’t had a gaming pc since around 2012, but I’m in the process of building a new one. What are some pc exclusives, or games significantly improved by the pc experience?

Im not sure what I’m looking for, but for example, I’m excited to try Day Z, Tarkov, replay new vegas with mods, stalker. Any other fps rpgs from the past decade I may have missed? What about online games that have extensive social interactions like DayZ?

FPS RPGs should have mostly been on console. STALKER is amazing definitely play that (and then play it again with mods).

Games like DayZ or ARK sound cool in theory but in practice... I don't think you missed anything.

Boz0r posted:

The best one is Evil Genius, which is about to get a sequel. The original is still pretty great.

IIRC they made a new Dungeon Master as a mobile game and it was full of bs microtransactions.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zaphod42 posted:

FPS RPGs should have mostly been on console. STALKER is amazing definitely play that (and then play it again with mods).

Games like DayZ or ARK sound cool in theory but in practice... I don't think you missed anything.

The best one is Evil Genius, which is about to get a sequel. The original is still pretty great.

IIRC they made a new Dungeon Master as a mobile game and it was full of bs microtransactions.
Are you thinking of Dungeon Keeper?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Boz0r posted:

Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Splicer posted:

Are you thinking of Dungeon Keeper?

aw gently caress yeah

I never got into those grid-based RPGs but Legend of Grimrock is solid.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Looking for an RPG -
after many bounces off of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, I fell in love
Divinity Original Sin 2 was just fine as well
Deadfire bores to me to tears repeatedly
Tyranny I enjoyed to completion

all of the old school Gold Box/D&D/Baldur's Gate type games I have either completed or come close enough to feel good.

I'm trying Operancia again and really hate how the mobs are more about tricks, but enjoyed Bard's Tale 4 enough to finish it. Xulima was rear end.
All of the Might & Magic games (including 1 and 2 on my Commodore 64 100 years ago) I have completed.
Wizardry series, including 8 just haven't clicked for me.
Grimrock games I played far enough to feel good about them.
Dragon's Age series, Dragon's Dogma, Witcher series I have gone through.
Greedfall and Outer Worlds I maybe should revisit as I stopped on them fairly early?
Masquerade is just too old and clunky in combat now for me to appreciate, again, big talk from someone who gamed on his C64.

So it can be solo or party based, top down or first person, it can be fairly independent, but not pixel (unless it's REALLY good). Big story is welcome or it can be small, combat can be meaningful or lots of burn and churn, as long as the mobs are not gimmicks.

Completely vague I know, but pointing out I have played a ton of RPGs and would love something similar and am open to ideas.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Elwood P Dowd posted:

Looking for an RPG -

all of the old school Gold Box/D&D/Baldur's Gate type games I have either completed or come close enough to feel good.

I'm trying Operancia again and really hate how the mobs are more about tricks, but enjoyed Bard's Tale 4 enough to finish it. Xulima was rear end.
All of the Might & Magic games (including 1 and 2 on my Commodore 64 100 years ago) I have completed.
Greedfall and Outer Worlds I maybe should revisit as I stopped on them fairly early?
Masquerade is just too old and clunky in combat now for me to appreciate, again, big talk from someone who gamed on his C64.

So it can be solo or party based, top down or first person, it can be fairly independent, but not pixel (unless it's REALLY good). Big story is welcome or it can be small, combat can be meaningful or lots of burn and churn, as long as the mobs are not gimmicks.

Completely vague I know, but pointing out I have played a ton of RPGs and would love something similar and am open to ideas.

Take a look at Tower of Time? I haven't played it myself, only found it today in fact but its slipped under my radar for so long and I feel similar about your notes above.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Elwood P Dowd posted:

Looking for an RPG -

I know it's a little different, but have you tried Sunless Sea / Sunless Skies / House of Many Doors? Still RPGs and unique. Travel the world in a ship / space ship / train, explore exotic locales and read their stories, gather up equipment and loot to eke out a survival and get you to the next port of call.

Edit: or now that I think more, maybe Underrail or Atom RPG? Both Russian style survival / Fallout-like RPGs.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 16, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Elwood P Dowd posted:

Looking for an RPG -

You seem good with old-school. Play Darklands.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Elwood P Dowd posted:

Looking for an RPG -

Age of Decadence. You can and I imagine will thank you me later. Given the l ist of RPGs you have played I am pretty confident that you will enjoy it.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 16, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Elwood P Dowd posted:

Looking for an RPG -

You may just have left them out, but KOTOR 1 and 2 are worthwhile.

Shadowrun Dragonfall and/or Hong Kong if you want to play a less sprawling rpg, the length is similiar to Tyranny. They aren’t as ambitious but they are well done and finish nicely.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Elwood P Dowd posted:

Looking for an RPG -

Guessing you've already played Arcanum?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
For something smaller, maybe try Masquerada: Songs and Shadows? It's bite-sized for an RPG and streamlines a lot of mechanics but I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 16, 2021

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Thank you all for the suggestions!

Avernum I will try again at some point, I really want to like the Spiderweb games. Darklands I struggled with when I had it on the C64, I'm not sure if I can get into it again.
The other suggestions I will definitely be delving into though!

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Elwood P Dowd posted:

Avernum I will try again at some point, I really want to like the Spiderweb games. Darklands I struggled with when I had it on the C64, I'm not sure if I can get into it again.

I meant this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/500810/Arcanum_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I want to stamp around in a customisable mech. I enjoyed HAWKEN and then it died and I want to play something similar.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Elwood P Dowd posted:

If you are cool with something in the vein of Avernum, check out Underrail. Similar grid based, low budget exploration heavy tactical RPG, but solo, with a more involved story, and with much deeper customization and a Metro 33 inspired post-apocalyptic theme.

E: Now I see it's been mentioned already, so I second the recommendation. ATOM, from the same post, is also good, a less serious take on Fallout, and these days it's surprisingly polished.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 16, 2021

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Elwood P Dowd posted:

Let me add you a gem: Encased

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Knightsoul posted:

Definitely wait for this one to be finished, though. It's very much an early access title right now, though I think it has promise.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

I want to stamp around in a customisable mech. I enjoyed HAWKEN and then it died and I want to play something similar.

This may miss the mark completely but check out DRONE on Steam. It's mech building meets Descent meets UT deathmatch. It's not stomping around in a mech, but it reminded me of HAWKEN in its look and feel.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Underrail is great. Can be somewhat difficult by comparison to some of those other modern CRPGs.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Knightsoul posted:

I want to get this.
I was waiting for a good price since I have a backlog.
It was pretty cheap on Fanatical at some point but seems to not be sold there anymore.

I have noticed this with a few games listed on isthereanydeal.
They always list the cheapest price as fanatical but when I check its not there any more.
I always considered Fanatical slightly sketchy but they always had good prices on occasion.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ben Nerevarine posted:

This may miss the mark completely but check out DRONE on Steam. It's mech building meets Descent meets UT deathmatch. It's not stomping around in a mech, but it reminded me of HAWKEN in its look and feel.
Played the demo, looks neat! Is there any non-deathmatch modes?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Kind of different request. Can someone who has played it either recommend or dissuade me from getting E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy? It seems interesting, and of course there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmmqx5O10Ic

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

Played the demo, looks neat! Is there any non-deathmatch modes?

I've also only played the demo :shrug: Looks like custom arenas and drones are in, but it all looks very much in service of deathmatch or deathmatch-adjacent modes. I wouldn't expect much beyond that except for CTF, maybe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Kind of different request. Can someone who has played it either recommend or dissuade me from getting E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy? It seems interesting, and of course there's this:

How tolerant are you to jank in games?

That will determine whether you love or hate EYE. It feels like a half-finished unpolished mod because it is, but its also pretty wild and original and ambitious too.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Oldstench posted:

It absolutely owns, you should play it. It's opaque, janky, and unbalanced, but also crazy fun (and just crazy).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Oldstench posted:

You can watch the Mandalore video it's from to get a fuller picture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AScCVzENcjs

I highly recommend it. I've recommended it before, and it's basically Deus Ex and Warhammer 40K in a fever dream. A very quality FPS IMO. Every gun feels very meaty and purposeful.

Now, that said, it's a very-fancy Source mod in terms of graphics and technical quality, but if you can tolerate that it's a good game. Frequently goes on sale for $5 or $2.50 as well.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks folks. Sold I think. I'll wait for a sale and grab it. Also thanks for introducing me to the Mandalore gaming reviews dude. I like his style.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How do I not bounce off of E.Y.E.? I've tried maybe 3 times and it is just so obtuse. It absolutely seems like the kind of game just loaded to the gills with trap skill picks and potential to end up horrificly underpowered.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How do I not bounce off of E.Y.E.? I've tried maybe 3 times and it is just so obtuse. It absolutely seems like the kind of game just loaded to the gills with trap skill picks and potential to end up horrificly underpowered.
Don't try to understand or metagame it. "Not being underpowered" takes a stupid amount of grinding; constant panic is a natural state when playing EYE.
e: Magic is poo poo, stick to guns.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's been a while, but just set everything to Metastreum and reroll until numbers are good, and that's pretty much the only big thing for not getting horrifically underpowered from the start. Otherwise, just shoot things good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

make sure your legs are OK and you'll be fine

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

1) At the beginning of the game set all gene picks to Metastreum and just keep rolling until all your numbers are green.

2) Understand the game's "fatal wound" system. This is probably the main complaint I see about the game. Every time you die you have a chance to get a fatal wound. This is a permanent debuff to your stats. You can't initially fix this, and if you die enough at the beginning of the game you could theoretically get into a situation where your stats are just too lovely to keep playing.

Fatal wounds can be cured with the Bio Regeneration research. There are 5 of these, 1 for each type of fatal wound. I don't usually advise people to look up tech trees, but for this specifically I recommend looking up EYE's tech tree and beelining for those first.

3) Turn down the difficulty until you can cure fatal wounds. There are multiple settings controlling difficulty and amount of spawns and stealth settings. Turn down difficulty significantly and spawn amount slightly until you get a feel for the combat. Much better to play on a lower difficulty for a while than to get a fatal wound you're temporarily stuck with.

4) Keybind the alchemy power and learn to use it often. Alchemy will turn any item the enemy drops (eg guns or ammo) into health for a small energy cost and is your best healing method throughout the game.

5) Grind vs cheat for rare research drops. Research in the game starts with silver briefcase drops. These give you a random starting research, and the tree builds from there. Problem is that these drops are random and you can get the same research multiple times. Some research drops are exceedingly rare. You either have to accept grinding like a motherfucker for some of these (in which case I recommend lowering the difficulty but increasing the spawn rate to max to maximize your chances for drops), or cheat. There are custom maps you can download that just spit out silver briefcases for you. If you're tired of waiting for rare drops then just do that until you have all the starting researches.

6) Upgrade your legs first and keep your weight as low as possible. Don't go carrying 2 main weapons and a sidearm and ammo for them all and grenades just because you can. Carry 1 main weapon, 1 sidearm, and sparing amounts of ammo for them (you'll pick up enough). Consider the light armor instead of the heavy. Maps in this game are huge, and moving at a crawl will just lead to frustration.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Has anyone played Sim Airport? It looks like something I might enjoy but it also looks like they shamelessly ripped off their entire game design and systems from Prison Architect.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Might want to ask in the Management thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084 I'm sure some folks have played it there. I have it but haven't played it yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Will do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What am I supposed to be DOING in E.Y.E? I did a cyberbrain mission, and now all I seem to have available are like procedural missions in the same area. Is there someone to talk to, some plot to advance?